The issue of Representation

DBD is loved by gamers from around the world. It has a huge fan database. For any gamer, from any corner of the world, s/he always feels more "included" when s/he sees a killer/survivor who have origins in his/her country, or is from his/her race.

Unfortunately, I am someone from a country/race where I see that till now, none of the killers/survivors have origins from my country/my race.

I wish to highlight the issue of representation in this forum. The other commenters who find my discussion useless/unnecessary probably already have their race/geographic location represented/partly represented in this game. So they won't feel the way I/someone in my position would feel.

North Africa, India, Other East Asian countries, Australia etc., as I have observed till now, have not yet been represented through either a killer/survivor/map.

I know original characters/maps take a lot of time.

I just wish to request the company to keep this in mind.

What say folks? If given a choice what would your design/characters be if you get to choose a character/map that has not been represented so far?

Comments

  • I'd say it's a very limited option pool for a thread about not enough representation.

  • Not their culture, cultural appropriation, stereotyping. Imo it would be way too risky or expensive for them to do it in this cultural climate. You're going to offend some1. I really don't care where the killer or survivor is from or what they identify as, as long as gameplay is good or they're not too in your face about things.

  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but Feng Min is Chinese, and Doctor is based off of a Chinese Doctor who used electroconvusive therapy to "fix" children with a video game addiction.

  • Wraith has African origins doesn’t he? We also have Yui and Min.

    more diverse characters are coming, I am pretty sure of it looking at Zarina and the latest non licensed chars

  • Who said we need them, other than you? I really see no need to force extra races into the mix.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    Who said we need them, other than you? I really see no need to force extra races into the mix.

    A lot of people will want their country or their race represented in a video game. It's not a bad thing. If anything, it makes the game more diverse

  • Wraith and Hag are African. Huntress is Russian. Oni and Spirit are Japanese. We have survivors of nearly every racial background. I'd say the game is already pretty diverse. I have no objection to adding more characters from different backgrounds. But not simply for the sake of diversity.

  • @Zeus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458436#Comment_1458436

    A lot of people will want their country or their race represented in a video game. It's not a bad thing. If anything, it makes the game more diverse

    No, my point is why do we need the diversity? I Get people are from multiple countries, but that has absolutely no bearing on why we need the diversity.


    Diversity for the sake of diversity is absolutely moronic.

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    Wraith and Hag are African. Huntress is Russian. Oni and Spirit are Japanese. We have survivors of nearly every racial background. I'd say the game is already pretty diverse. I have no objection to adding more characters from different backgrounds. But not simply for the sake of diversity.

    This ^^

  • How about an Aztec, Native American, A Spartan, Viking, WW1/2,

    This game can represent not only a group of people but history as well I.E The Plauge, Deathslinger

    Also Legends and Folklore

  • i say the devs should make whatever characters they feel like for their game. ethnicity, gender, orientation, species, whatever else that i can't think of at the moment... whatever they think would fit the character they have in mind.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    How about an Aztec, Native American, A Spartan, Viking, WW1/2,

    This game can represent not only a group of people but history as well I.E The Plauge, Deathslinger

    Also Legends and Folklore

    ngl tho I'd actually be super interested in an Aztec killer.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458479#Comment_1458479

    ngl tho I'd actually be super interested in an Aztec killer.

    Me too.... Which is why I mentioned them

  • The kit could be basically Wraith and instead of invis he shoots a bow or something

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458488#Comment_1458488

    The kit could be basically Wraith and instead of invis he shoots a bow or something

    Aztecs use... they have macuahuitl,  atlatl, tlacochtli

    Plus they are into human sacrifice

    I'd imagine a Jaguar warrior but who knows

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458450#Comment_1458450

    No, my point is why do we need the diversity? I Get people are from multiple countries, but that has absolutely no bearing on why we need the diversity.

    Diversity for the sake of diversity is absolutely moronic.

    Otherwise known as: Pandering.

  • Like I've said before, let BHVR add characters from wherever they want to add characters from. If they want an African Survivor, they'll make one. If they want an Australian Killer, they'll make one. If they want a mixed race character, they'll make one. There is no reason to force them to make these decisions if they don't want to do it.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458491#Comment_1458491

    Aztecs use... they have macuahuitl,  atlatl, tlacochtli

    Plus they are into human sacrifice

    I'd imagine a Jaguar warrior but who knows

    I'd be more interested in the eagle, personally. Maybe alternate skins or something idk

  • its a hide and seek party game, no need to pander to everyone in the world

    why can’t people just play the game and have fun

  • The game is pretty diverse, I'll just make a list right now

    Claudette - African Canadian

    Jake - Mixed/Korean American

    Nea - Caucasian Swedish

    Ace Visconti - Older Italian / Argentinian

    Bill Overbeck - Much older Vietnam vet, Caucasian and American

    Feng Min - Chinese

    David King - Caucasian British

    David Tapp - African American

    Adam Francis - Jamaican

    Jeff Johannson - Caucasian Canadian

    Jane Romero - Latin American

    Yui Kimura - Japanese

    Zarina Kassir - Lebanese American

    The Wraith - African

    The Hillbilly - Deformed American

    The nurse - Anglo American

    The Hag - African

    The Doctor - African American

    The Huntress - Russian

    The Spirit - Japanese

    The Legion (Joey) - African American

    The Plague - Babylonian

    The demogorgan - demogorgan

    Oni - Japanese


    Am I open to more diversity? Of course, I'm just saying that the people who think this game has no representation is wrong

  • @mrpieseller said:

    The game is pretty diverse, I'll just make a list right now

    Claudette - African American

    Jake - Mixed/Korean American

    Nea - Caucasian Swedish

    Ace Visconti - Older Italian / Argentinian

    Bill Overbeck - Much older Vietnam vet, Caucasian and American

    Feng Min - Chinese

    David King - Caucasian British

    David Tapp - African American

    Adam Francis - Jamaican

    Jeff Johannson - Caucasian Canadian

    Jane Romero - Latin American

    Yui Kimura - Japanese

    Zarina Kassir - Lebanese American

    The Wraith - African

    The Hillbilly - Deformed American

    The nurse - Anglo American

    The Hag - African

    The Doctor - African American

    The Huntress - Russian

    The Spirit - Japanese

    The Legion (Joey) - African American

    The Plague - Babylonian

    The demogorgan - demogorgan

    Oni - Japanese

    Am I open to more diversity? Of course, I'm just saying that the people who think this game has no representation is wrong

    Claudette is Canadian, not American.

  • Oops my mistake, thank you for pointing that out

  • @mrpieseller said:

    The game is pretty diverse, I'll just make a list right now

    Claudette - African American

    Jake - Mixed/Korean American

    Nea - Caucasian Swedish

    Ace Visconti - Older Italian / Argentinian

    Bill Overbeck - Much older Vietnam vet, Caucasian and American

    Feng Min - Chinese

    David King - Caucasian British

    David Tapp - African American

    Adam Francis - Jamaican

    Jeff Johannson - Caucasian Canadian

    Jane Romero - Latin American

    Yui Kimura - Japanese

    Zarina Kassir - Lebanese American

    The Wraith - African

    The Hillbilly - Deformed American

    The nurse - Anglo American

    The Hag - African

    The Doctor - African American

    The Huntress - Russian

    The Spirit - Japanese

    The Legion (Joey) - African American

    The Plague - Babylonian

    The demogorgan - demogorgan

    Oni - Japanese

    Am I open to more diversity? Of course, I'm just saying that the people who think this game has no representation is wrong

    @mrpieseller Deformed American and Demogorgon made me laugh lol.

  • Ya missed one deathslinger irish/American (explains why he's very angry and has a saloon map) sorry coudnt resist

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    its a hide and seek party game, no need to pander to everyone in the world

    why can’t people just play the game and have fun

    Why can’t you let people ask for something that wouldn’t hurt anyone at all?

    you can still play hide and seek with harmless representation as the current state shows very well.

  • I don't want to brag but for once the game misses european representation,

    So I feature for you the next chapter :

    ZE MIIIIIME !

    Killer : The mime

    Survivor : Claire Chazal

    Map : LA BAGUETTE boulangerie.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458763#Comment_1458763

    Why can’t you let people ask for something that wouldn’t hurt anyone at all?

    you can still play hide and seek with harmless representation as the current state shows very well.

    Why do you have to get defensive over something that actually really doesn't matter? It only matters when people make it matter, and that's what you're doing.

  • If you want more representation that's fine. All I ask is don't get upset when your favorite survivor gets hook or your killer gets pallet slammed. This is a horror game. You kinda have to accept the fact something bad will likely happen to these characters.

  • Imagine caring what ethnicity a psychotic serial killer is. Take your virtual signaling back to Twitter please, we care about things like "fun" and "balance" here, not politics and race. Thanks.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458984#Comment_1458984

    Why do you have to get defensive over something that actually really doesn't matter? It only matters when people make it matter, and that's what you're doing.

    Because i don’t like hating on stuff that shouldn’t matter, since it is actually hurtful to some people

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459050#Comment_1459050

    Because i don’t like hating on stuff that shouldn’t matter, since it is actually hurtful to some people

    Who said I was hating on it? Why are you projecting?


    Care to elaborate? Because it so far sounds to me you just want to wash out the already very wide crowd we have, which on it's own is kind of questionable judgement :thinking_emoji:

  • I geniually hate this trendy representation era, it's a one sided debate where if you don't really care about every culture being somewhere in a movie, video game or series you're just getting hard called racist.

    How can people being that butthurt about people uncaring about colors & origins? Isn't it a proof of tolerance?

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459078#Comment_1459078

    Who said I was hating on it? Why are you projecting?

    Care to elaborate? Because it so far sounds to me you just want to wash out the already very wide crowd we have, which on it's own is kind of questionable judgement :thinking_emoji:

    I didn’t mean you, I literally answered a from me quoted post.

    also I never asked for more representation at all, I even said in this thread that we do have some of the requested chars from the OP...


    well, talking about projecting :D

  • @Veen said:

    I geniually hate this trendy representation era, it's a one sided debate where if you don't really care about every culture being somewhere in a movie, video game or series you're just getting hard called racist.

    How can people being that butthurt about people uncaring about colors & origins? Isn't it a proof of tolerance?

    Not caring is not a problem at all though?

    its the hate for any representation that’s the problem.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459090#Comment_1459090

    I didn’t mean you, I literally answered a from me quoted post.

    also I never asked for more representation at all, I even said in this thread that we do have some of the requested chars from the OP...

    well, talking about projecting :D

    Since you quoted me I had no reason to believe you weren't talking to me. Just sayin'.

  • bhvr has included a lot, why is this a constant thread? They have different nationalities, skin colors and weight classes (body types.) Hell!! some characters are implied (im not getting into who) to represent different sexualites. However no matter how detailed into arbitrary lore they get, its never seems to be enough. I dare say, people keep making these thread for the same reason as nerf threads. Thus: "We got a reaction before, lets see how far we can push it ." This is NEVER a good thing.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459110#Comment_1459110

    Since you quoted me I had no reason to believe you weren't talking to me. Just sayin'.

    Look again. I quoted someone else and then you quoted me. Just sayin‘

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459093#Comment_1459093

    Not caring is not a problem at all though?

    its the hate for any representation that’s the problem.

    No, it's the intolerance for anyone not parading problems that aren't theirs that's the problem.

  • @mrpieseller said:

    The game is pretty diverse, I'll just make a list right now

    Claudette - African American

    Jake - Mixed/Korean American

    Nea - Caucasian Swedish

    Ace Visconti - Older Italian / Argentinian

    Bill Overbeck - Much older Vietnam vet, Caucasian and American

    Feng Min - Chinese

    David King - Caucasian British

    David Tapp - African American

    Adam Francis - Jamaican

    Jeff Johannson - Caucasian Canadian

    Jane Romero - Latin American

    Yui Kimura - Japanese

    Zarina Kassir - Lebanese American

    The Wraith - African

    The Hillbilly - Deformed American

    The nurse - Anglo American

    The Hag - African

    The Doctor - African American

    The Huntress - Russian

    The Spirit - Japanese

    The Legion (Joey) - African American

    The Plague - Babylonian

    The demogorgan - demogorgan

    Oni - Japanese

    Am I open to more diversity? Of course, I'm just saying that the people who think this game has no representation is wrong

    Isn't Deathslinger also Irish? Or part Irish?

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459117#Comment_1459117

    No, it's the intolerance for anyone not parading problems that aren't theirs that's the problem.

    That would be a problem, but it didn’t really happen here, did it?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459154#Comment_1459154

    That would be a problem, but it didn’t really happen here, did it?

    I mean, it's happening here in the thread already, so yeah it's a thing.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459160#Comment_1459160

    I mean, it's happening here in the thread already, so yeah it's a thing.

    It’s literally not happening.

  • Since this topic has been brought I'd like to draw attention to the fact that this game has zero representation to people who have nanism.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458763#Comment_1458763

    Why can’t you let people ask for something that wouldn’t hurt anyone at all?

    you can still play hide and seek with harmless representation as the current state shows very well.

    Here's the problem with demanding representation where there's already a lot.

    Two problems, time(patience) and variability(which ones get picked?).

    I'm completely for the inclusion of every possible race, mixed, monster mythos out there, but what happens when the next killer isn't "your" killer or the survivor(s) don't represent your race, and you continually perpetuate the idea that BHVR won't cater to diversity? What happens when your representation is met, but there are already seven similar-but-not-exactly representations? Claudette is Canadian, Detective Tapp is American, Adam Francis is Jamaican, the Wraith is an African(possibly Nigerian) Immigrant to the US, the Hag is African but that's a pretty vague location.

    Are we going to complain if another African character is added to the game? Are we going to claim a lack of diversity if a specific Afro-ethnic character isn't added to the game? Obviously the same argument applies to every race, included and yet to be included, but since there are so many black characters in the game it's easy to point out how many characters of a single(read: broad) race exist. There exists so many different cultures within the race of X that it's impossible to include everyone in four years.

    If you've got an idea for a race you personally would like to see, I highly suggest you submit your designs, the culture behind them, a lore that could fit within this eldritch horror universe, to BHVR in whatever appropriate manner exists. But the expectation of a Canadian company to know everything about everything is a little short sighted. No one's going to know everything, and if the bar to entry for a company is an understanding of every culture so they can implement and represent all races and cultures equally, no company today should exist. Period.

  • @PoisonAsh said:

    Need killers/survivors who have origins in North Africa, India, China, East Asian countries, Australia.

    What say folks? If given a choice what would your design/characters be if you get to choose any one geographic region stated above?

    No. Oddly specific areas if you want representation for everyone.

    Though an Australian killer does sound badass.

  • Aren't the characters already diverse 🤔

  • @IIITweedleIII said:

    Aren't the characters already diverse 🤔

    It's not enough.

    It'll never be enough.

  • why thread like this happen all the characters diverse more get added oh and it video game have fun i know that hard.

  • It's never enough.


    Case in point: I'm an open gay but still called homophobic for not wanting more gay characters forced into Overwatch lmao

  • Until I saw his tome cinematic a couple days ago I had NO idea that Doctor was black. This feels simultaneously good for representation (there's nothing "stereotypically black" about him, either in his behavior or backstory or appearance) and bad (until I saw that cinematic, I'd just assumed he was white because I hadn't noticed anything that suggested otherwise, although maybe that just tells on me. 😊)

    Similarly, when I read Wraith's bio I thought from his last name (Ojomo) that he was Latino, but looking up that last name just now it seems more likely that he is actually black as well (all the top hits for real people named Ojomo are for the author Efosa Ojomo).

‹ 1 2