The issue of Representation

DBD is loved by gamers from around the world. It has a huge fan database. For any gamer, from any corner of the world, s/he always feels more "included" when s/he sees a killer/survivor who have origins in his/her country, or is from his/her race.

Unfortunately, I am someone from a country/race where I see that till now, none of the killers/survivors have origins from my country/my race.

I wish to highlight the issue of representation in this forum. The other commenters who find my discussion useless/unnecessary probably already have their race/geographic location represented/partly represented in this game. So they won't feel the way I/someone in my position would feel.

North Africa, India, Other East Asian countries, Australia etc., as I have observed till now, have not yet been represented through either a killer/survivor/map.

I know original characters/maps take a lot of time.

I just wish to request the company to keep this in mind.

What say folks? If given a choice what would your design/characters be if you get to choose a character/map that has not been represented so far?

Comments

  • I'd rather just see good lore. The cast is really diverse already and has some pretty good lore. I'd rather them focus on the best story as opposed to force certain nationalities in.

  • Oceania and southeast Asia, not just Australia. There's more than just them over here. We've already got an Oni, now imagine getting chased around by an aswang, or a taniwha.

  • @Terra92 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1458984#Comment_1458984

    Here's the problem with demanding representation where there's already a lot.

    Two problems, time(patience) and variability(which ones get picked?).

    I'm completely for the inclusion of every possible race, mixed, monster mythos out there, but what happens when the next killer isn't "your" killer or the survivor(s) don't represent your race, and you continually perpetuate the idea that BHVR won't cater to diversity? What happens when your representation is met, but there are already seven similar-but-not-exactly representations? Claudette is Canadian, Detective Tapp is American, Adam Francis is Jamaican, the Wraith is an African(possibly Nigerian) Immigrant to the US, the Hag is African but that's a pretty vague location.

    Are we going to complain if another African character is added to the game? Are we going to claim a lack of diversity if a specific Afro-ethnic character isn't added to the game? Obviously the same argument applies to every race, included and yet to be included, but since there are so many black characters in the game it's easy to point out how many characters of a single(read: broad) race exist. There exists so many different cultures within the race of X that it's impossible to include everyone in four years.

    If you've got an idea for a race you personally would like to see, I highly suggest you submit your designs, the culture behind them, a lore that could fit within this eldritch horror universe, to BHVR in whatever appropriate manner exists. But the expectation of a Canadian company to know everything about everything is a little short sighted. No one's going to know everything, and if the bar to entry for a company is an understanding of every culture so they can implement and represent all races and cultures equally, no company today should exist. Period.

    thats all well and everything but where is this high demand?

    i already said that I think the cast is already pretty diverse and I don’t see the need to ask for more diverse ethnicity. The only person really demanding in this thread was OP because they said „need“? But even then that was not high demanding but just one sentence.

    now look at everyone complaining about those high demands (not the posts saying there is enough diversity but really people complaining). THAT is much higher in this very thread and these forums and way more problematic.


    just asking for something is not demanding. But people demanding others to not simply ask is another thing: they kind of want to silent them without any real reason. We don’t know anything about OP really (the only one using the word „need“ and thus may „demand“ diversity). Why not assume his native language is not English and maybe he used not the best choice of word for saying what they want?

  • Japan has lots of cool ghosts and monster lore


    But with everything pc or not pc enough or id rather noone had any national or anything because it just leads to problems... like lol first comment we get not diverse enough options lol... you cant win

    If you do get it its cultural appropriation ect.

  • @SonicOffline said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459762#Comment_1459762

    It's never enough.

    Case in point: I'm an open gay but still called homophobic for not wanting more gay characters forced into Overwatch lmao

    I never got the point to bring sexuality in video games, it's not like you're following them in their bedroom & stuff, it's always cool to know but it's not how I want a character to be defined.

    Also we already have Gayce, I'll recommand this famous fanfiction Ace x David gruesomely called "Ace in the hole".

  • This content has been removed.
  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459746#Comment_1459746

    thats all well and everything but where is this high demand?

    i already said that I think the cast is already pretty diverse and I don’t see the need to ask for more diverse ethnicity. The only person really demanding in this thread was OP because they said „need“? But even then that was not high demanding but just one sentence.

    now look at everyone complaining about those high demands (not the posts saying there is enough diversity but really people complaining). THAT is much higher in this very thread and these forums and way more problematic.

    just asking for something is not demanding. But people demanding others to not simply ask is another thing: they kind of want to silent them without any real reason. We don’t know anything about OP really (the only one using the word „need“ and thus may „demand“ diversity). Why not assume his native language is not English and maybe he used not the best choice of word for saying what they want?

    We never use the best choice of words, we have to assume based on context of what the person wants, otherwise we're arguing about definitions and never the complete thought--language is an expression of ideas and feelings through those ideas, not the definitions themselves. Simple example, If I say I love cake, I'm not in love with cake, I just enjoy eating it.

    I think the status quo is what people tend to stick to. They find any extreme thoughts or ideas to be uncomfortable and unnecessary. These opinions are usually held by the masses, and they have to be convinced in a way that makes them comfortable in order to get them on your side of things.


    That's why they usually shoot down something like this. They've seen the dangers, irrational behavior and violent tendencies behind similar movements and they don't want any part of it.

  • I'd like to see survivors from different time periods other than close to or from the modern era. Give me someone from the middle ages or a damn caveman idfk :P

1 2 ›