When is it ok to Tunnel? New killer advice.

I have been playing the game for a few months now and have moved on from Survivor main to Killer. I try to play fair; no blatant hook camping, no tunneling one by one to ensure a 4k, etc... however if I run into a survivor who just got unhooked am I just supposed to let them go? If I do (like I have been) I rarely get a 4k and am having trouble getting pips to get out of green/purple ranks, and if I down them then the survivors blow up my DM with "tunneler". What is the right balance of tunneling to make the game fair and not give the game away just to be nice?

Comments

  • It's always ok to tunnel. Don't let those people hold you down. You play how you want, don't let others tell you how to play.

  • Always and forever. Play however you want, within the confines of the rules.

  • @WiseguyKy said:

    I have been playing the game for a few months now and have moved on from Survivor main to Killer. I try to play fair; no blatant hook camping, no tunneling one by one to ensure a 4k, etc... however if I run into a survivor who just got unhooked am I just supposed to let them go? If I do (like I have been) I rarely get a 4k and am having trouble popping, and if I down them then the survivors blow up my DM with "tunneler". What is the right balance of tunneling to make the game fair and not give the game away just to be nice?

    Tbh slugging the unhooked person is ya best option, it's the worst when your rescuer decides to stealth and not take aggro.

    However if you are in endgame where like they only need 1 gen left or something, then everything goes at that point.

  • From general survivor pov, whatever you do unless you completely ignore anyone who got hooked within last 1-2min you're probably gonna be called a tunneler eventually. You can't reach perfect balance when there are so many entiteled players who don't have any idea what is and what isn't tunneling and are just salty cause they're losing.

    Best way to go about it is do whatever you feel like doing. If you think you have enough pressure you can go easy and ignore someone freshly unhooked running at ya even when it's dumb play. But if they're giving you hard time then you're in no way obligated to give them fair/easy game. Do what makes you enjoy the game, whatever it is (within official rules ofc).

  • @Orion said:

    Always and forever. Play however you want, within the confines of the rules.

    What rules? Are there just some unspoken ones you can elaborate on?

  • @WiseguyKy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376628#Comment_1376628

    What rules? Are there just some unspoken ones you can elaborate on?

    These rules, the only rules that matter:

    @not_Queen said:

    Please remember that Dead by Daylight’s end user license agreement which can be found on https://deadbydaylight.com/en/eula (the “EULA”) governs your participation and use of the game and its associated upgrades, patches, and updates and related services. In case of conflict between the EULA and this page, the EULA will prevail.

    Hello, good people of the fog!

    We now have a team Associate Community Managers, as well as an updated in-game report system.
    With your help, we will be able to find the players who are creating a bad game experience and punish them appropriately, making the game a better place.

    HOW TO REPORT A PLAYER

    You may only report things that happen directly to you or in a game that you were in.
    Reporting for other people is not allowed and these reports will be discarded.
    (ie. Reporting someone on behalf of a friend, streamer, or other)

    Fill the In-game report

    An In-game report MUST be made. This is not optional, and is a must to help us identify the person in your game as well as find any other evidence we need.

    Customer Support ticket?

    • Video evidence is required or heavily suggested for some offenses, please refer to the lists below.
    • Whilst you can report offenses directly to our support, please only do so for serious offenses like cheating, hacking, DOX/death threats.

    Discarded reports reasons

    THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

    • Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping

    NOTE:
    We do not control anything that happens outside of Dead by Daylight.
    This includes private Steam messages/groups/names, PS4/XBOX messages, Discord messages, Twitch/social media interactions, etc. Anything that occurs on these platforms must be reported to the respective authorities.

    PERMANENT BANS

    List of bannable offenses

    Hacking in-game exclusives and / or legacy skins

    The acquiring of any in-game skin through anything other than official channels (ie. codes, giveaways, etc.)
    The possession of legacy skins without earning them. The cutoff to earn legacy skins happened on November 24, 2016. If a player has obtained legacy skins after this date, then it is considered cheating.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Cheated progress / modifying your save file

    We need the profile of the person you are reporting. Reportable via support team.
    Using any 3rd party software or other method to cheat your save file or any measure of progress contained within your save file. This includes using someone else’s save file.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Threats

    Excessive and serious threats against someone, including DOX threats, life threats, disclosing private information, etc.
    You can fill a support ticket to provide more information, Screenshots and video are optional, but highly recommended.
    Reminder: everything that happens out of the game should be reported to the appropriate platform. (ie: Twitch, Discord, Steam, Sony, Microsoft)
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Other Hacks

    In-game report under Unsportsmanlike is MANDATORY
    Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game, except if they have been whitelisted by us. We are not banning for the use of communication apps.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    TEMPORARY BAN

    List of bannable offenses

    24h -> 48h -> 1w -> Permanent

    This is a sliding scale and determined on a case-by-case basis. If an offense is considered to be particularly egregious, the duration of the ban may skip one or more steps in this process.

    Any previous permanent bans on your record will result in all future offenses being a permanent ban.

    Harassment: Communications Abuse

    • Insults, intimidation, hateful speech, repeated harassment
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Griefing: Intentional Gameplay Abuse

    • Working with the opposite team to gain an advantage or grief teammates
    • Targeting specific users repeatedly in order to ruin their game experience
    • Holding the game hostage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Exploits: Abusing bugs or errors in design to gain a competitive advantage

    • Advertising exploits
    • Exploit bugs, errors in design, or undocumented features to gain access to what otherwise would not be available or to obtain a competitive advantage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Specific exploits that we will ban for until they are resolved:

    • Bloodweb Progress/Prestige Exploit
    • 2+ Killer Exploits

    Unsportsmanlike Conduct

    • Botting
    • Lag switching
    • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
      For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    About Disconnects bans - DO NOT REPORT

    Disconnects are handled by the disconnection penalty system. No further action will be taken on reports.

    BAN APPEALS

    Cannot be appealed

    • Temporary bans
    • Social Media bans/blocks (Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
    • Unofficial Fan sites / Fan groups

    Forum bans: APPEALS

    Please contact one of our Community Coordinators. Their contact info can be found here. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/685031/#Comment_685031

    Permanent bans : APPEALS

    Send a Ticket to support.deadbydaylight.com
    If the ban is an automated EAC ban, please contact EAC directly. https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/contact/appeal/

    Console bans

    The rules are the same as the PC bans

    Crossplatform ban evasion

    Players who have violated our rules multiple times leading to permanent bans could get their access revoked on any accounts they make if the player is seen committing bannable offenses after the very first permanent ban. The structure and severity of these bans are followed throughout any platform.

    Abuse of Support Services

    This includes making false support tickets and lying to support agents. Our agents are always here to help the community. However, those making false tickets just to get a step ahead of everyone else and take advantage hinders our ability to better help everyone. Penalties include suspension of your support services, up to a permanent ban of your in-game account.

  • Blatant tunneling when the exit gates are open. There's zero reason to let them go.

    If you want to tank their DS early it a good strategy too. Though there's really no reason not to keep tunneling after a DS so it's more of an unspoken gentlemens agreement when you let them go.

    Tunneling can also occur when all their teammates are cowards. Try to keep an eye out for other players or active gens being worked on if you ran into the same fool.

    Otherwise a good mix of slugging and injuring throughout the game keeps it interesting.

    Though if they blew through 4 gens in under a minute that instantly puts pressure on you to secure at least one kill. It's then on you to decide if you're willing to camp them.

  • @WiseguyKy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376628#Comment_1376628

    What rules? Are there just some unspoken ones you can elaborate on?

    There are no unspoken rules unless you mean the "survivors rulebook for killers" which are bogus like respect the 4%.

    "Tunneling" is fine if the gens are going too fast and you need a survivor out of the game. If you happen to come across the recsntly unhooked since the unhooker ditched them it's fi e to down them again and rehook if you think they dont have D strike or to leave them slugged amd force a survivor to go pick them up.

  • Tunneling in most cases is completely ignoring other survivors to target that one person.

    If the survivor got unhooked infront of you that's on them. If the survivor got unhooked infront of you because you waited at the hook for someone to show up, you can't really say "they unhooked infront of me" because that is a very poor excuse to say it was their fault.

    Playing fair doesn't mean letting them go. It means you throw the game just to get one survivor.

  • I'd like to also add that camping/tunneling at the end reeks of desperation unless you're running endgame perks. I typically just let it go if it comes to it.

    I personally hate being tunneled right off the hook, so again, it's more of an unspoken gentlemens agreement if you attack other people in the game and try to spread out.

  • There's no such thing as tunneling, that's just the name Survivors give to their unsafe unhooks.

  • It's always okay to tunnel if it's a freebie. If they didn't want to die they shouldn't be so available for murder imo. Generally you want to disrupt as many survivors as possible so always take the easiest opportunity offered for pressure.

  • It's always ok. However, it is rarely optimal since you risk eating a DS. Good situations to tunnel are: There is no obsession; The person you would tunnel has already used their DS on you; You need a kill so desperately that you're willing to risk losing the game to a DS.

  • End game.

    Unless you don't have any desire to get better or have any skill in this game. Then tunnel whenever you want.

    If you're just looking for a way to slow the match down, and don't want to be a dick, slug. At least it incapacitates the survivor, and they require the aid of another survivor's help to get up...which is at least two people off gens for every 1 slug. 👍️

    Thanks for caring.

  • You should check out this post:

    @Zwergz112 said:

    Is there anything specific? Someone running Object Of Obsession, that one P3 Claudette flashlight clicking at you, someone wearing the Lisa skin (that's a thing now apparently) or someone with "toxic" in there name? Anything that makes you go to any lengths to make sure they die no matter what.

    It's pretty enlightening.

  • @WiseguyKy said:

    I have been playing the game for a few months now and have moved on from Survivor main to Killer. I try to play fair; no blatant hook camping, no tunneling one by one to ensure a 4k, etc... however if I run into a survivor who just got unhooked am I just supposed to let them go? If I do (like I have been) I rarely get a 4k and am having trouble popping, and if I down them then the survivors blow up my DM with "tunneler". What is the right balance of tunneling to make the game fair and not give the game away just to be nice?

    Technically it's always okay to tunnel. If you are trying to play in a fair, or what many consider a fair manner that's a bit different. If you encounter someone fresh off the hook I tend to slug and leave them. This avoids DS and generally will catch you less grief. If however I see them working on a gen right after unhook they get no mercy. If you've reached end game. Either all gens done or two survivors left. That is gloves off time to me as well.

    Ultimately you need to play how you want. But if you are trying for a more fair approach what I mentioned should cover it.

  • It's always ok to tunnel. Nothing more needs to be said.

  • I would say that it's not a bad idea to consider how much fun the other side is having, but it shouldn't be at the expense of your own fun.

    For me, how "nice" of a Killer I am is a function of how well the match is going. Lets say I run into an injured guy, who was just on the hook, and the next hook will kill him. Is there 1-2 gens left, no one else dead, and I could really turn the game around by taking this guy out of it? Definitely, I'd go for it. Are there 4-5 gens up, people running around doing nothing, and I've basically got this game in the bag? Then sure, ignore him or slug him, go for someone else, let everyone stick around a while longer so we don't have anyone going to the sky spider with less than 10K BP.

  • Tunnel whenever you want lil guy! never let a survivor player shame you for killing them. Its your job, sorrynotsorry. They wont think twice before doing 3 gens in under 2 minutes, why should you care about the opposite side having fun. I personally play to win. I also play on xbox so i get a lot of hate during the game because for whatever reason, BHVR allows them to click on my name before the game is over. Its sad that survivors cant take an L and move on after 4 years of this game being live

  • I'd say don't tunnel if you see the survivor who unhooked. Personally, I'm always in another chase by the time survivors unhook. I don't really go back to the hook unless I don't find another survivor in the meantime.

  • There is no play fair, it is a game, you win some and you lose some. Everything be it camping, tunneling can be dealt with.

    Just understand that when none of them work for you, you have to change your playstyle.

  • image.png

    (Just play how you want while rocking some 80's tunes)

  • Tunnel all you want. I'll do it if I manage to catch the teams strongest player early enough.

  • Whenever you want. Survivors don't give two shits about killers' complaints about their playstyles, so they have no right to complain if you camp or tunnel

  • Whenever you feel its necessary.

  • Killers are not required to follow any survivor's rule sets. We are supposed to be the motivation to escape. I play how I want on both survivor and killer. Just do your thing and ignore the salt it only feeds egos.

  • You can tunnel whenever you like.

    There are no rules you need to follow.

  • Sincerely, it doesnt matter how you get those kills. Survivors dont care if they escape via pity mechanisms, even declaring it a win for their "TEAM" if one of them gets the hatch.

    Why the hell would you need to care for their names for certain (most often only perceived) strategies.

    Play as you wish, if you think "tunneling and camping" works, then do so. If you fail, change things up.

  • As a killer camping usually turns out in a loss of bloodpoints but it definitely helps get kills especially when the gates are powered. Tunneling is often the thing to do. If you're fighting a pretty good group and one is not so great, get rid of them and reduce the number of people you have to worry about.


    Like everyone says, play how you need to. Turning off chat with that little arrow helps too if you just want to play the game.

  • Tunneling is just a made upp word for killing a survivor. As killer you are supposed to kill survivors. It's always ok there is no rules that says you cant kill survivors.

  • I try my best not to tunnel, mostly because it's the one thing I genuinely hate encountering when I play survivor and I don't want to inflict that on people myself.

    I'll slug off hook to maintain pressure, but I won't re-hook. Closest I've actively come was a Nurse game where I opted to concentrate on the survivor giving me the hardest time so I could practice.