Are they leaving the Clown in his current state as comedic irony?

I don't understand why behavior isn't experimenting with changes to The Clown.

He looks like a bad joke when placed against someone like Freddy, who has a better version of his power to slow down survivors at loops, without the need to reload, that can also sometimes help you locate survivors, on top of his ability to throw you off as he approaches when you aren't asleep, teleport between generators, and have a built in slowdown mechanic while being able to negate perks like borrowed time by keeping you oblivious.

I would understand if his kit was particularly fun to play, and had appeal that way, but it is incredibly one dimensional. If he were removed from the game, and his teachable perks made baseline, I feel like nobody would notice. It just leaves such a bad taste in the mouth.

Basically, he's a ######### Clown...

Comments

  • cmon man just wait another year, dont be impatient!!!

    seriously though, the time it takes for even minor tweaks to perks is an insult to players

  • I feel like he should let out a fart cloud of toxic gas every time he picks up a survivors, vaults or does break action 😆

  • Is he not good im almost at tier 7 to unlock his elephant costume

  • If he isn't the next killer rework, then yes I can guarantee you they are doing it on purpose.

  • @MiniPixels said:

    If he isn't the next killer rework, then yes I can guarantee you they are doing it on purpose.

    To be fair, Leatherface is in need of help too, so it wouldn't surprise me a ton if he was next.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1158809#Comment_1158809

    To be fair, Leatherface is in need of help too, so it wouldn't surprise me a ton if he was next.

    That's true I didn't think about that, it actually wouldn't surprise me if they did him next since he has been out longer.

  • What clown I only know of a elephant

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    He wouldn't be half as bad if the like, six bugs that hinder his power were actually fixed. He's been broken since release and the only thing they've done for him is fix the audio of his bottles so that gas clouds don't hiss indefinitely even while they're going.

    Even reverting the medium vaulting speed change for him would be good (people who get the hindered status effect by his gas clouds could get a speed penalty to vaulting, for example).

    It's so easy to make him less ######### -- not good, just not bad; and they just refuse to do it.

    But of course Nurse is still stuck with her like, 8 blinking bugs too, so y'know, it's par for the course at this point.

    I feel like the new map has only added more bugs for Nurse. Those solid houses are awkward as heck to blink through.

  • Devs balance for the low end of the game. If a killer does 'well' against potatoes, then the devs don't see a reason to change them.

  • #########, I just came on the forums to make a bug report (that I know will never be addressed because killer playability is a lower priority than fixing minor goddamned visual errors) because I am having a glitch at least once a game where I try to throw a bottle over a short obstacle, like the kinda junk that's piled up around pallet loops, where the bottle will clearly go over the garbage, but the gas cloud appears right at my feet in a completely useless spot. I'm trying to get good at him out of spite at this point.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1158809#Comment_1158809

    To be fair, Leatherface is in need of help too, so it wouldn't surprise me a ton if he was next.

    I agree with Leatherface needing some love as well, though this one might be a bit harder for them, given that he is licensed.

  • I just remembered how much it pisses me off that bhvr doesn't even know what a butterfly knife is. Like, I wonder if they wrote that lore before realizing that they weren't good enough at animating to make a butterfly knife look good so they gave him this ######### thing that looks like it cost 5 bucks at a gas station.

  • I'm actually getting triggered by how braindead the community seems to be when it relates to specific killer strengths. Clown, in this example, is a very good killer, he is fun and strong at what his power offers the player. The playerbase just seems so ignorant to a blatantly obvious truth, Clown is good. Like @DudeDelicious says, Clown could use some minor touch ups, bug fixes etc but other than that, he's golden. Seriously people, learn how to play him and then come back and just try and say he sucks, you honestly won't be able to.

  • Clown falls into the unfortunate abyss of "Why play Clown when I could just play X".

    His power only really helps in loops. Not with map pressure, not with the chase, just loops.

    They probably could leave him as is with a few tweaks, he just needs something to make him worth playing (other than having objectively the best killer outfit in the entire game). Maybe make something the like Robin / Starling Feather base kit so his power can be used in a chase reliably. Or increase his belly jiggle physics to injure survivors if he spins around them too fast and they get hit by the absolute MASS of the lad.

  • Clown is a good killer. Hes not the worst, that slot is reserved for Pig. He only needs a few bug fixes, and some addons becoming base, but other than that he is golden

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1159107#Comment_1159107

    Thanks.

    Clowns only real real problem is the design of his power. The wrong way to use his bottles also happens to be the logically natural way any player is going to use the bottles: throw them at survivors.

    And although landing actual direct hits is indeed good for Clown, a beginner is inevitably going to mostly have bottles land on the ground either around or behind a survivor during a chase. The throw cooldown/slowdown in conjunction with the teeny amount of gas survivors are exposed to this way results in little benefit to Clown during a chase.

    Sorry to be condescending here but unfortunately BHVR gave players WAY too much credit in thinking that most would figure out that the cooldown/slowdown mechanic would help teach players that this is the wrong way to use bottles. So quite understandably many players just come to the conclusion that Clown is rubbish, rather than questioning “am I using the bottles wrong?”

    How exactly should I be using his bottles? I love Clown (along with everything that came in the curtain call chapter) and I really want to improve my Clown. I know I should be using his bottles to trick survivors into an unsafe place but won't a good survivor player just ignore the gas and go to the strong pallet anyway?

    Also whats the best build and add-ons for the Clown?

  • Ok, so who here actually plays Clown?

  • I feel like Clown is a lot like Legion: An obvious cash-grab that the devs didn't really put much thought or effort into designing, and a character they don't really care about.

  • @Tunnel_Me_Please Clown is one of the killer's that feels the most benefit from Surge; i'd recommend using that on him. My build is Discordance, Surge, Shadowborn and then BBQ as the 4th perk, because i'm a bp glutton lol

    Add-ons I use with this build are Sticky Soda Bottle and Starling Feather; they are both very handy to have when you come across an area that houses two strong loops back to back with easy rotation potential for the survivor, normally i'd recommend using 2 bottles in that area: one to stop the rotation to the other loop, and one to anti-loop/blur the survivor's vision to help you gain that first hit/down more swiftly, if they do stick around at the loop. But in general, 1 extra bottle saves you time, since reloading is put off for slightly longer. And decreased cooldown makes mindgaming vaults smoother; as well as being able to regain control of Clown sooner after throwing a bottle. The more younplay Clown after knowing how best to apply his power and toolkit to the game, the easier you'll adapt to your own preference of builds with him. I tend to use perks that make map rotation and chase pressure priority; I find great results like that.

  • He is by far the worst killer in the game, he should be top priority when it comes to the next killer buffs.

  • @Marcus said:

    He is by far the worst killer in the game, he should be top priority when it comes to the next killer buffs.

    If he is not "unfun" for survivors to play against, he probably will not be touched. Doctor, Nurse, Spirit, and Legion were all changed for this reason.


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/137382/are-they-leaving-the-clown-in-his-current-state-as-comedic-irony

    Preface: I’ve been playing Clown since the release of Curtain Call. I went through lots of ups and down with Clown. Thought he was good, then thought he was crap and useless, then thought he’s not too bad, then rubbish again, but now after many epiphanies with Clown I can confidently say he’s good. Very good.

    He could still do with some ever so teeny tiny buffs, but he doesn’t need much in my opinion.

    I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Anyone that compares Clown to Freddy simply doesn’t understand Clown at all.

    Freddy cannot:

    • throw snares AHEAD of survivors
    • try to corral or trick survivors to EXACTLY where he wants them with snares.

    Snares are reactionary.

    Bottles are PREEMPTIVE.

    Clown has a very deep breadth of strategy to him and requires super fast thinking. Once a player can understand how to end chases fast by using bottles optimally or cleverly tricking survivors, clowns other presumed weaknesses seem almost nonexistent.

    To be clear I think buffs would be nice, but they only need to be small.

    Clown is in a position where he could quite easily become very OP if BHVR weren’t careful, and almost all of the player base cannot see this.

    What you you mean Freddy isn't preemptive? That is like saying that The Hag is not preemptive... he has the same amount of snares that he can set beforehand as she does traps. This, on top of the fact that he can place them mid-chase with no drawbacks once he arrives at a loop, his anti-loop power is at worst even and at best better than clowns, save the occasion where you run to a loop you haven't pre-placed a trap at, in which case it is a tiny bit better.

    If you love Clown, that is fine. I am not by any means saying his ability to end loops quickly is bad, it is amazing, but that is all he has, and it is better in a tiny situation. Also, I've played against Clown alot, and any survivor that is paying attention will just avoid the loops you've tossed a bottle at, because it slows you down. Not to mention, there have been labs done, and unless you are running add-ons which increased the hinder effect or reduce cooldown between bottles, you don't gain any distance throwing bottle between loops due to the slowdown you get after throwing.

  • @ForkliftWaifu said:

    I don't understand why behavior isn't experimenting with changes to The Clown.

    He looks like a bad joke when placed against someone like Freddy, who has a better version of his power to slow down survivors at loops, without the need to reload, that can also sometimes help you locate survivors, on top of his ability to throw you off as he approaches when you aren't asleep, teleport between generators, and have a built in slowdown mechanic while being able to negate perks like borrowed time by keeping you oblivious.

    I would understand if his kit was particularly fun to play, and had appeal that way, but it is incredibly one dimensional. If he were removed from the game, and his teachable perks made baseline, I feel like nobody would notice. It just leaves such a bad taste in the mouth.

    Basically, he's a ######### Clown...

    Well apparently doctor needed a second buff so clown will have to get in line

  • @Onyx_Blue

    @DudeDelicious

    Thank you both for the helpful advice on how to play Clown!

  • @HellDescent said:

    I feel like he should let out a fart cloud of toxic gas every time he picks up a survivors, vaults or does break action 😆

    Makes sense given the Plague pukes

  • Hey clown is op in the cosmetic department looking at you mr elephant lol

  • people thinking Clown is better than freddy lmfao

    Freddy has mobility through teleport

    Freddy has shorter chases through snares

    Freddy has BT Protection

    Clown has bottles that are beaten by dropping a pallet early


    Seriously, if you think Clown is anywhere but the bottom of the list then you must not play at higher ranks

  • Maybe they're doing it as a dig to Stephen King for not letting them use Pennywise.

  • I mean, the devs themselves have said (Almo I believe) that they think the Clown is an underrated killer.

    With that mentality in mind they're going to be in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" state of mind.

    Of course, the Clown is a joke, but they don't see it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1161417#Comment_1161417

    The devs are right, Clown is underrated and also underestimated.

    Most of the playerbase think he is a joke, but it is THEM that cannot see how his power should be properly used.

    And you demonstrate none of it.

    You're essentially one step ahead of just saying "get good" which proves nothing.

    The Clown cannot apply pressure anywhere except in chase. He closes down a loop, and can zone people out, but he isn't underrated. He's underwhelming.

    What exactly is the strategy you use for him that makes him anymore viable than other killers?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/137382/are-they-leaving-the-clown-in-his-current-state-as-comedic-irony

    Preface: I’ve been playing Clown since the release of Curtain Call. I went through lots of ups and down with Clown. Thought he was good, then thought he was crap and useless, then thought he’s not too bad, then rubbish again, but now after many epiphanies with Clown I can confidently say he’s good. Very good.

    He could still do with some ever so teeny tiny buffs, but he doesn’t need much in my opinion.

    I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Anyone that compares Clown to Freddy simply doesn’t understand Clown at all.

    Freddy cannot:

    • throw snares AHEAD of survivors
    • try to corral or trick survivors to EXACTLY where he wants them with snares.

    Snares are reactionary.

    Bottles are PREEMPTIVE.

    Clown has a very deep breadth of strategy to him and requires super fast thinking. Once a player can understand how to end chases fast by using bottles optimally or cleverly tricking survivors, clowns other presumed weaknesses seem almost nonexistent.

    To be clear I think buffs would be nice, but they only need to be small.

    Clown is in a position where he could quite easily become very OP if BHVR weren’t careful, and almost all of the player base cannot see this.

    I agree. Been playing Clown for not nearly as long, but after getting him to P3 50 by playing exclusively as him, I can say he isn't as bad as most people say. He needs small QOL changes, like removing the slowdown he gets when he throws a bottle, or making the reload gradual instead of one huge 5 second one and making Sticky Soda Bottle basekit.

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1160028#Comment_1160028

    If he is not "unfun" for survivors to play against, he probably will not be touched. Doctor, Nurse, Spirit, and Legion were all changed for this reason.

    Doctor is top shelf nightmare fuel now. The entire game can crumble apart with Doc and all I need to do is use static blast occassionally.

    Nurse people keep saying she is one walking bug report. Last time I played her I 4k'd on Labs so I dunno.

    Spirit they keep nerfing her and she still stays good so that's very telling.

    And Legion the more I play him, the more flexible he seems to be. I started using Blood Echo and taking away everyone's exhaustion perks appears to be very damaging. Also best farming killer.

    Clown feels underrated seeing as how he has some really good add-ons, but the bottle limit can be annoying. Feels like a shooter where you need to reload your gun after only firing two bullets.

  • I do think clown is somewhat underrated because I have been able to score a 4 man on him on some very survivor sided maps, but he could use some changes, and slight buffs, or reworks, just something to give him more map pressure than currently, but his is just my opinion

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1161478#Comment_1161478

    Rush down survivors so fast that by mid game they became far too preoccupied with saves and heals to continue repairing gens at a break neck pace.

    The more altruistic and heroic they are (hello flashlights) the faster they tend to fall.

    I’ll still have bad games where this doesn’t work out so well. But by focusing solely on the tracking, chasing, and strategy of where to land bottles, 90% of the time the survivors have a very tough time against my Clown.

    So snowball. Like what every killer has to do to keep up in this game.

  • Maybe make him burp or something to create a gas surrounding him, and maybe cut down his bottle preparation to not take a century or give him normal walk speed while preparing them.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1160404#Comment_1160404

    No probs.

    To simplify what @Onyx_Blue was saying about loops:

    • identify the LONGEST side of the loop.
    • Smash a bottle along that longest side (use 2 if you feel the loop is big enough), and try and force the survivor to run in that direction along the loop. If they fall for it, they’re taking a hit before they can reach the pallet (or vault) again.
    • If they’re simply camping the pallet, and not falling for what you’re trying to do, throw a bottle at the survivor. In most cases they panic and just drop the pallet allowing you to get rid of it.
    • Try and identify where you you can slow them the most/limit their options in safely reaching the next loop.
    • Even if they repeatedly keep camping pallets (you weren’t able to get hits in before they successfully reach consecutive pallets), at the very least it’s not a lost cause. Maybe get rid of 2 or 3 pallets before considering abandoning the chase. At least you’ve managed to quickly get rid of some of the survivors options for the remainder of the match.

    Honey, the problem is, untill you get rid of all these pallets, the game will be already over for 10 minutes. The maps are too big with way too many pallets for Clown to be able to do anything if survivors play safe.

  • @ForkliftWaifu said:

    I don't understand why behavior isn't experimenting with changes to The Clown.

    He looks like a bad joke when placed against someone like Freddy, who has a better version of his power to slow down survivors at loops, without the need to reload, that can also sometimes help you locate survivors, on top of his ability to throw you off as he approaches when you aren't asleep, teleport between generators, and have a built in slowdown mechanic while being able to negate perks like borrowed time by keeping you oblivious.

    I would understand if his kit was particularly fun to play, and had appeal that way, but it is incredibly one dimensional. If he were removed from the game, and his teachable perks made baseline, I feel like nobody would notice. It just leaves such a bad taste in the mouth.

    Basically, he's a ######### Clown...

    Be patient, in maybe 5 years oneor another rework is planned, right after Battle-pass 43/44/45, 1200 new skins, and SPEAKING and not fixing old bugs that in the game for almost more then a year now. It may be possible the game died until then, but you cant say, they didnt tryied. Theyre just busy af :)

  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1160148#Comment_1160148

    Doctor is top shelf nightmare fuel now. The entire game can crumble apart with Doc and all I need to do is use static blast occassionally.

    Nurse people keep saying she is one walking bug report. Last time I played her I 4k'd on Labs so I dunno.

    Spirit they keep nerfing her and she still stays good so that's very telling.

    And Legion the more I play him, the more flexible he seems to be. I started using Blood Echo and taking away everyone's exhaustion perks appears to be very damaging. Also best farming killer.

    Clown feels underrated seeing as how he has some really good add-ons, but the bottle limit can be annoying. Feels like a shooter where you need to reload your gun after only firing two bullets.

    You completely missed my point. The Killers were only touched because Survivors found them "unfun" to play against. It had nothing to do with how good or bad they were. Given that Survivors are not complaining about Clown, he will likely remain low-tier garbage.

  • Clown loss distance on a survivor if he throws a bottle perfectly, and the survivor just continues to run in a straight line.

    Clowns best addons are a GREEN (flask of bleach), followed by a purple (15% ether), because they make his power actually lead to gaining distance.

    Freddy has 0 slowdown using his power, he can set snares while continuing to move at 115% speed.

    Clown slows down: Before throwing a bottle, while throwing a bottle, after throwing a bottle. Oh, and reloading bottles is the same as eating a DS.

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1161536#Comment_1161536

    You completely missed my point. The Killers were only touched because Survivors found them "unfun" to play against. It had nothing to do with how good or bad they were. Given that Survivors are not complaining about Clown, he will likely remain low-tier garbage.

    I didn't miss any point. I've played as and against them and most of their complaints were valid. This isn't a one sided argument where only you are the victim.

    People used to brag about holding a game hostage as a forever Doc before forever Freddy became a thing. Besides that he was considered garbage by the masses. He is by and far the best example of a rework complaint actually buffing a character.

    Nurse still breaks every rule in the game despite polarizing players to either godlike or garbage. She had a high skill ceiling sure, but the flexibility of her power meant winning every chase with no breathing room in between. I agree she's buggy at the moment, but the change was necessary.

    Spirit had every advantage stacked in her favor. She could hear them, see their scratches more clearly, bump into them, and travel much faster with no feedback to the other players as to what she was doing. They took away 2 of those things and she still wrecks.

    Legion guaranteed downs in the stupidest manner possible. And was rather braindead considering how much feedback he got for little investment. His advantages are still there.

    And Clown has some hardcore fans for some reason. I'd argue he actually does need a look at, but again he has some devious add-ons that can create unwinnable situations.