I don't get the complaints about DbDs battle pass system

Right, it reminds us of fortnite and CoD and all that ######### jazz they got going on. But, people are acting like DbD's gives you an advantage when your on the paid pass instead of free. I could actually see myself buying the paid pass in a few months if I am mostly through the rift.

Here's some things to consider when comparing this to other battle pass systems in games:

(Please let me know if I am mistaken)

1. You do not get faster rift tier progress with the paid pass.

2. All Halloween currency are only in the paid pass. You don't get extra in paid.

3. You get your money back if you 100% complete the rift tiers in in-game cosmetic currency.

4. Everything you get is cosmetic.

5. This is a way for the developers to increase income. (Good, depending on if you hate their guts or not) It's honestly not intrusive on the game.

6. The rift is linked with a mission system, giving you more to do.

7. The rift introduced charms (Though many could take it or leave it)

Comments

  • It honestly should give you more xp towards rift fragments if you buy the paid because it takes way too long to tier up.

  • Cannot wait from the lootbox system. Maybe they will use the Golden toolbox as the lootbox.

    🙃

  • The serums are in the Free track so you don't need to pay to get them

    I am personally holding all judgment on this until someone completes Tome 2, when someone shares how far they've gotten after completing both tomes then we can judge if the system to complete the Rift is too high or not.

    The goal from what I can see is that you complete the Archives and get a boost through the Rift, then until the next Tome comes out you grind away normally. It's done this way so you don't get everything in the Rift too early.

    I like The Rift but I won't be buying the next one unless it has things in there I like, most of the stuff in it right now is useless to me. This isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, it isn't oppressive, it rewards you with extra customization, and it spices things up in the game and shows you how often other players are playing. When I see the Auric Eye I know that player completed the first Tome, they play a lot and it gives players some extra spice in the matches with decorated hooks.

    The Survivor charms though, I can barely notice them, some Survivor clothing covers them up and you can't see the charms other Survivors are wearing, it is purely for your own customization, kind of like the complete opposite of Killer cosmetics.

  • The problem with the rift is the enormous amount of time to required finish it, the system itself is fine other than that (obviously as fine as having a paid battle pass in a paid game with paid dlc and paid cosmetics is, which is not fine, duh.)

  • @Mr_K said:

    Cannot wait from the lootbox system. Maybe they will use the Golden toolbox as the lootbox.

    ?

    Lootbox systems are made to purposefully take advantage of children and people with gambling issues. Comparing what DbDs doing so far isn't 1:1 at all.

  • This game is overburdened with tedious grinds and microtransactions.

    What did they add? More tedious grinds and microtransactions.

  • @Witas said:

    The problem with the rift is the enormous amount of time to required finish it, the system itself is fine other than that (obviously as fine as having a paid battle pass in a paid game with paid dlc and paid cosmetics is, which is not fine, duh.)

    Personally, I don't believe that the average person is supposed to complete it. I'm at tier 23(or so?) and play the game a lot... obviously. It's something to reward players who've earned it, not something everyone should get for being around at the right time. That's at least what I think of it. Yes it's a ######### grind tho...

  • the biggest issue I have with it is that this game is not free... or hasn't been free for very long.

    I bought three copies of the game... my xbox1, my PC, My wife's Xbox1...

    then I bought (almost) all of the DLC...


    so they made the initial profit, then profit from DLC, then profit off cosmetics, and then add yet another way to profit via the paid battlepass.


    Ill be more forgiving if some of the leaked challenges do, in fact, get changed and simplified, but from what I've seen they want to take your money with a promise of a chance to earn it back, and then set the bar too high to get it.

    just how much money do they need for a game they can't fix the spaghetti code for? a game they continuously fail to balance? and one that is plagued by performance issues with every new patch?

    I love this game, and I certainly don't hate the developers, I know their job isn't exactly easy... but the constant monetization is wearing my patience thin.

  • This is not a free game. It is a paid experience with hundreds of dollars of DLC.

  • The only problem for me is that they lied about being able to complete it by playing 1 hour a day

  • @Xboned said:

    This game is overburdened with tedious grinds and microtransactions.

    What did they add? More tedious grinds and microtransactions.

    Because apparently you're obligated to do this.

    The only thing that needs a change is the free track should get a reward everytime IDC if its just blood points. Its ridiculous that there are countless consecutive levels that result in no reward. ALSO remove time limit because it is anti consumer. Not the limit on the pass but the stupid wait to START the challenges. There is one reason they would do this and one reason only. To make finishing less likely. Not to mention it increases in game toxicity with people going out of their way to try and void what you want. Everyone is going for the same challenges at the same time....

  • Numbers 3, 5, and 6 are sadly irrelevant if you're trying to suggest that the Rift is somehow different to other systems and therefore shouldn't be compared, since those features are common to almost all battlepass systems.

  • @Go_Go_Roboto said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833113#Comment_833113

    Personally, I don't believe that the average person is supposed to complete it. I'm at tier 23(or so?) and play the game a lot... obviously. It's something to reward players who've earned it, not something everyone should get for being around at the right time. That's at least what I think of it. Yes it's a ######### grind tho...

    But the devs said the average player should be able to complete it. They said that playing one hour per day would be enough to complete the Rift. This isn't something the players came along and claimed should be the case, it's what the devs claimed to be aiming for.

    So it's the fact that the devs said it, and the information they gave is wrong. The math says it'll take more than twice as long to complete. Instead of 70 hours in 70 days, it's more like 175 hours in 70 days.

  • The math says that with 100% completion of all archive challenges, it will still take 8 games to complete EVERY DAY (for the bonus XP). Depending on your queue times, that can be upwards to 2-3 hours a day every day. Average players don't got time for that. I don't know what's an "average player" to a DBD dev though.

    @Gibberish said:

    500 EXP per match on average, 800 EXP per Rift Fragment, 10 Rift Fragments per level 8000 EXP per Rift Tier = 16 matches per Tier. 70 total tiers x roughly 16 matches per tier = About 1120 matches to go from Rift Tier 1 to Rift Tier 70 Tome Level 1: 93 Total possible fragments (9.3 Tiers) Tome Level 4: 85 Total possible fragments. (8.5 Tiers) Assuming Tome Levels 2 & 3 also give a similar amount of Fragments: About an average of 88.5 Fragments per Tome Level 88.5 x4 = 354. So, again assuming Tome Levels 2 and 3 give a similar amount of fragments, completing ever tome challenge will net you 35.4 Tiers worth of Rift progress. 70 Tiers -35 = 35. So doing every challenge completes only half the rift.

    TLDR: This means you still need to play about 560 matches to complete the rift, even if you actually complete EVERY single challenge.

    The Rift closes in 68 days from now, so you would have to play about 8 matches a day, every single day.

    So unless Tome Levels 2 & 3 give way, way, way more Rift Fragments than Tome Levels 1 & 4, you still need to do an absurd amount of grinding to complete the Rift.

    Remember when they said they wanted the Rift to be completeable by average players? Lmao. Guess that was a lie, nobody is gonna finish this without paying unless they are a total addict.


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    The problem I have with the pass is a few reasons:

    1. Auric cells are a trap to entice you to do the pass, with the promise you can get the next pass for free, but it's not designed to be completed because of this. I would rather Auric cells be omitted from the pass, making the pass achievable for everyone and possibly make the free track look at least somewhat more appealing than a pimple. They are literally only in there as filler and to inflate the grind whilst being bait. This is very manipulative, and not consumer friendly at all.
    2. It's not as consumer friendly as you think. Think logically for a minute: If the Rift was actually designed to be completed by the average user as they had claimed (which we know the math doesn't add up), then why is there a purchasable "time saver" that people can buy to skip all of the grind? This goes against everything they said. If it's as easy as they had claimed to complete, why does the time saver exist?
    3. This is more my opinion than anything else, but I find charms to be annoying cosmetics. Having a bunch of objects hanging everywhere ruins the game's atmosphere to me. Besides that, most of the reason charms even have any value to them is because they are exclusive. Anything can be ugly in a game, but you slap exclusive on it with a time limit before you can never get it again and it immediately makes it more valuable because it's 'rare'. It's a cheap tactic to me. This was after their promises that they'd not release exclusives anymore, by the way.
    4. It takes way too long to journey through the rift without buying the time saver. It takes me over 6 hours a day to gain 1 tier. That's ludicrous. Even if I were to do all of the challenges, mindful of the fact we also had an 11 days headstart on this rift, I'd still need to be playing 3+ hours a day to break even. God forbid I miss a single day or three, which is a very real possibility considering the rift will go through until Christmas.
    5. They bold-faced lied to us regarding the rift, about it being consumer friendly, when it's clearly designed not to be at all, as well as the outrageous lie about the amount of time required, which anybody who sat down for 5 minutes to work out the math could have figured out was wrong. Either they were intentionally lying to us to try and sell the rift, or it was a woeful miscalculation -- either one doesn't bode well for them as it was 'false advertising' for the Rift either way.
    6. DBD is not a free to play game. It's already expensive enough as it is. This quadruple dipping is ridiculous in a game you already need to buy to pay.

    The inclusion of the Rift as well as the reasons I stated above means I am not opening my wallet to BHVR until they prove to me they can be trust worthy again. I do not trust them after the obvious lies about the rift and the manipulation tactics going on.

    I will not buy the rift, because I do not support manipulative schemes nor do I support lying about something to make it sound better and less manipulative than it actually is while trying to claim "we did this for you!" Absolutely shameful.

    Just a few questions:

    Where is info on the time savers..? I looked for a few minutes, but couldn't find anything.


    @Zensunim said:

    The math says that with 100% completion of all archive challenges, it will still take 8 games to complete EVERY DAY (for the bonus XP). Depending on your queue times, that can be upwards to 2-3 hours a day every day. Average players don't got time for that. I don't know what's an "average player" to a DBD dev though.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/100386/did-the-math-on-the-rift


    Is the ~175 hours the time it takes to complete the rift with or without doing challenges? Because if it's without accounting for that I'm afraid the time taken is going to be much lower. I have the feeling people are throwing that around and not thinking about it. I'm at tier 24 and I have put nowhere near the ~62.5 hours I'd be at.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833124#Comment_833124

    But the devs said the average player should be able to complete it. They said that playing one hour per day would be enough to complete the Rift. This isn't something the players came along and claimed should be the case, it's what the devs claimed to be aiming for.

    So it's the fact that the devs said it, and the information they gave is wrong. The math says it'll take more than twice as long to complete. Instead of 70 hours in 70 days, it's more like 175 hours in 70 days.

    Sorry...quoted the wrong person.

  • So far I've been pretty happy with the premium pass. Still like 56 days to go and I'm around rank 20. I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth really. I definitely feel more motivated to play with the pass.

  • I don't like the battlepass because I just thought that it wasn't necessary at all and doesn't fit in a survival horror game. There are also so many micro-transactions and more were not needed.

    I also disliked it because they tied the event into the battlepass and got rid of the fun objectives.

  • @HatCreature said:

    The serums are in the Free track so you don't need to pay to get them

    I am personally holding all judgment on this until someone completes Tome 2, when someone shares how far they've gotten after completing both tomes then we can judge if the system to complete the Rift is too high or not.

    The goal from what I can see is that you complete the Archives and get a boost through the Rift, then until the next Tome comes out you grind away normally. It's done this way so you don't get everything in the Rift too early.

    I like The Rift but I won't be buying the next one unless it has things in there I like, most of the stuff in it right now is useless to me. This isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, it isn't oppressive, it rewards you with extra customization, and it spices things up in the game and shows you how often other players are playing. When I see the Auric Eye I know that player completed the first Tome, they play a lot and it gives players some extra spice in the matches with decorated hooks.

    The Survivor charms though, I can barely notice them, some Survivor clothing covers them up and you can't see the charms other Survivors are wearing, it is purely for your own customization, kind of like the complete opposite of Killer cosmetics.

    The serum being in the rift is what frustrated me imo. Because of placing an event reward currency in the rift, which needed more touch-ups, the event was delayed. The event as a result with the pustula offerings was the equivalent of WGLF, but on hooks and gens.

  • I personally like it and I enjoy having a reason to log in vs just grinding for perks.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    The problem I have with the pass is a few reasons:

    1. Auric cells are a trap to entice you to do the pass, with the promise you can get the next pass for free, but it's not designed to be completed because of this. I would rather Auric cells be omitted from the pass, making the pass achievable for everyone and possibly make the free track look at least somewhat more appealing than a pimple. They are literally only in there as filler and to inflate the grind whilst being bait. This is very manipulative, and not consumer friendly at all.
    2. It's not as consumer friendly as you think. Think logically for a minute: If the Rift was actually designed to be completed by the average user as they had claimed (which we know the math doesn't add up), then why is there a purchasable "time saver" that people can buy to skip all of the grind? This goes against everything they said. If it's as easy as they had claimed to complete, why does the time saver exist?
    3. This is more my opinion than anything else, but I find charms to be annoying cosmetics. Having a bunch of objects hanging everywhere ruins the game's atmosphere to me. Besides that, most of the reason charms even have any value to them is because they are exclusive. Anything can be ugly in a game, but you slap exclusive on it with a time limit before you can never get it again and it immediately makes it more valuable because it's 'rare'. It's a cheap tactic to me. This was after their promises that they'd not release exclusives anymore, by the way.
    4. It takes way too long to journey through the rift without buying the time saver. It takes me over 6 hours a day to gain 1 tier. That's ludicrous. Even if I were to do all of the challenges, mindful of the fact we also had an 11 days headstart on this rift, I'd still need to be playing 3+ hours a day to break even. God forbid I miss a single day or three, which is a very real possibility considering the rift will go through until Christmas.
    5. They bold-faced lied to us regarding the rift, about it being consumer friendly, when it's clearly designed not to be at all, as well as the outrageous lie about the amount of time required, which anybody who sat down for 5 minutes to work out the math could have figured out was wrong. Either they were intentionally lying to us to try and sell the rift, or it was a woeful miscalculation -- either one doesn't bode well for them as it was 'false advertising' for the Rift either way.
    6. DBD is not a free to play game. It's already expensive enough as it is. This quadruple dipping is ridiculous in a game you already need to buy to pay.

    The inclusion of the Rift as well as the reasons I stated above means I am not opening my wallet to BHVR until they prove to me they can be trust worthy again. I do not trust them after the obvious lies about the rift and the manipulation tactics going on.

    I will not buy the rift, because I do not support manipulative schemes nor do I support lying about something to make it sound better and less manipulative than it actually is while trying to claim "we did this for you!" Absolutely shameful.

    To your 4th point: I don't think everyone had the same head start of 11 tiers. Some had less, more or nothing. I had a headstart of around 30 tiers.

  • @Go_Go_Roboto said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833355#Comment_833355

    Just a few questions:

    Where is info on the time savers..? I looked for a few minutes, but couldn't find anything.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833333#Comment_833333

    Is the ~175 hours the time it takes to complete the rift with or without doing challenges? Because if it's without accounting for that I'm afraid the time taken is going to be much lower. I have the feeling people are throwing that around and not thinking about it. I'm at tier 24 and I have put nowhere near the ~62.5 hours I'd be at.

    Okay, this is how I did the math.

    The devs said that the challenges will award 350 Rift Fragments, which is the same as 35 tiers on the Rift. There are 70 tiers on the Rift, so if you complete all the challenges, that leaves 35 tiers on the Rift to get via XP.

    I timed myself earning tiers on the Rift with only XP. Even with the daily bonus, due to queue times it could take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to earn one tier (10 Rift Fragments). So, I average that to 5 hours. 35 * 5 = 175. Now, you'll be completing the challenges and earning XP at the same time, so if you complete all the challenges within 175 hours, then that's how long it'll take to complete the Rift: 175 hours in 70 days. If you don't complete all the challenges, then it'll take even longer to complete the Rift.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833649#Comment_833649

    I never said we had an 11 tier head start, I said we had 11 days head start.

    BHVR started tracking Rift progress through XP on the 18th of October. Patch came out on the 29th of October.

    I wasn't reading carefully, my fault.

  • The New tome hasn't even been out for a full day and people are already on here complaining. You just can't please everybody... I'm sure bhvr knows this all too well.

  • @CrowFoxy said:

    This is not a free game. It is a paid experience with hundreds of dollars of DLC.

    That you aren't obligated to buy.

  • I bought the battle pass as it let me get some of the items that I couldnt get if I didnt buy it. I looked at the cosmetic items and determined that 1000 auric cells seemed fair for what was being offered. I then noted I got 325 cells "given back" as I had completed some of the tiers. I used 300 to buy three tiers figuring I already "spent" the 1000 on the offered cosmetics.

    I play with a friend who has no issue blasting her way thru the tomes and maybe a couple of the challenges might give her pause for thought, but since she plays killer as well as survivor the killer challenges are also something she can do.

    I will admit due to my lack of progress I was influenced by the ability to buy tiers out for 100 cells. Not everyone is able to play killer unless they dedicate themselves to spending time in ques and learning the killer skills and perks.

    On a minor note I would say about 10% of my games are actually fun (by my definition they last a longer time, and I feel I have played better) the other 90% are where I play like a potato and dont have much fun.

    One useful tip I will share is something Hemingway once said about writing. "Stop when you are at your best, then dont think about it, the next day start again and carry on" He was saying there is a point to stop each day and its not after playing several matches which suck badly and make you feel like uninstalling....

  • @THEghostface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/833107#Comment_833107

    The serum being in the rift is what frustrated me imo. Because of placing an event reward currency in the rift, which needed more touch-ups, the event was delayed. The event as a result with the pustula offerings was the equivalent of WGLF, but on hooks and gens.

    That's a good point, I really hope they don't do this in the future as this was not an ''Event'' by any means whatsoever. We had Gens with pumpkins and hooks with stuff, all dictated by how many Offerings were put in but none of that had anything to do with getting the Halloween cosmetics, there was a huge disconnect between the Event and the Rift and this was the most boring Event ever. The Xmas event is more fun than that was and that's the same thing except with no prizes or offerings.

  • I never planned on buying on the pass, so I'm just getting free content because of The Rift. I've already gotten a $10 skin! For free! Can't really complain.

  • The only problem I have with the rift is putting the event currency on it, and then spreading them so thin that, without heavy grinding, there was no way to obtain all of them before the event ended.

  • Welp I thought this was sarcasm but you honestly do not understand why people do not like the battle pass. I suggest you read couple of threads about it which explain why people do have problems with it. It literally has nothing to do with CoD or Fortnite.

  • The big issue in this case is that the grind gets harder and less rewarding the further you get into the tomes. Tome challenges increase in difficulty but not the reward. It takes you longer to progress through the tome, but your progression rate through the rift also slows down because the rewards aren't porportional to the effort.