How does one honestly stop taking Dead by Daylight so seriously as a killer main?
I'm mostly a killer main and in almost some of my killer matches i end up going against toxic survivors or survivors who constantly tea bag, try to blind me with their flashlights, or say extremely hateful things in endgame chat, it gets on my nerves sometimes to the point where i just view myself as a bad killer player if every generator gets done, survivors escape and i either get one kill or no kills at all and i sometimes get pretty tilted in endgame chat and my anger takes over, how do i honestly stop taking this game so seriously because my mindset is constantly just "I HAVE TO WIN, IF I DON'T WIN, I'M JUST A BAD KILLER MAIN AND I SHOULD JUST UNINSTALL AND THIS GAME IS JUST FULL OF TOXIC SURVIVORS!"
Comments
My biggest advice is to vary your builds so you can vary your intensity. Play some matches with your sweaty meta build, try to win, then throw in some matches with a gimmicky build like a haste build, or full aura reading build, or an endgame build, and just try to get value out of your build. Also, throw in some perkless add on less game to solely focus on your chosen killers basekit power.
This variance allows you actually have some substantial matches where you’re focused on how your performing rather than the cold hard numbers results at the end of a match. I promise if you try this, you’ll have more fun, get better at your killer regardless of match results, and your hair will stop turning white from the big bad survivors lol.
Turning off end game chat will take care of one of those issues.
I personally just chill in VC with friends while playing. Just talking n messing around with them makes it much easier to take things less seriously.
you have to swallow your prde abd hop abord the L train if you don't take thr game seriously
Normally for someone playing both sides i would say to play killer with a survivor mindset. (Since when a round goes south on survivor there is nothing you can do except get as many points as u can and hope the rng gives you hatch) so understand that killer rounds can turn out just as hopeless and you aren't supposed to win everytime.
But since you are playing killer the entire time as a killer main:
Make jumpscare builds, as much undetectable as possible. Survivors will be constantly looking around corners. Also aim for blood points not kills.
If you can't effectively avoid flashlights than put on Lightborn. If the chat bothers you that much just turn it off. These two problems are easily solved. And you can't really say survivors are toxic if youre admitting being uncool in the chat too.
I don't really know what to tell you about feeling like you have to win except thinking about how unreasonable that is. Who would play survivor if killer was just supposed to win every match? I regularly get 2-hook 0ks on p100 killers. I'm angry in the moment, sure, but it doesn't take long for that to cool and for me to think about it logically. The people who are beating me that hard are either better than me or I screwed up. Both are fine. It's just a game. If you want to be the greatest player ever you're going to have to sacrifice having a normal life and your sanity.
Understand that BHVR is a company, and companies need to make money to survive. Also understand that survivor mains will ALWAYS have more money than killers. When you realize this, you realize DBD is not a game anyone should take seriously for any reason. If anyone disagrees, all I have to say to you is 9.2.0.
It's all in how you approach it. I go into matches with a certain mindset.
If I get control of the match early, I'll generally spread my hooks, usually kill 2 survs and le the other 2 go. As a rule I'll spare the 2 survs who deserve it the most, either weaker survs who struggle with chase and/or ones who will go for unhooks. And punish survs who are individually toxic, if I catch them sandbagging or giving up early.
If survs give me a run for my money but don't play toxic I'll usually do whatever i need to win and at the end let last surv have hatch.
If they're mad toxic, then all bets are off, I'll play aggressive tunnely, sluggy, whatever it takes to beat their build and send them on a one way trip to the entity.
Getting a 4k isn't really my objective, it's to enjoy the game, and if the other players enjoy it too all the better. And i enjoy rewarding players for good play and punishing others for toxicity and bad play.
There's lots of good advice here but one thing I'd like to add, given you are self-professed killer main, is to play more survivor. Learn the basics, learn how to make good plays, and in turn you'll learn to respect the skill of a survivor playing well instead of feeling angry that you should have won the interaction. If you can say "nice" instead of "go to hell" when you get stunned or flashlighted then you're already there.
I never play dbd sober and I use things I like. I genuinely have easier times loading in as no power Krasue abusing Superior Anatomy than I do playing meta. I confuse people by not playing properly, and I am harder to tilt because I can blame my suboptimal loadouts
Pretty hard to IMO. Once you know the imbalances of the game they will stick in the back of your mind nagging at you even if you try to ignore it.
I found that if I go into a DbD match with a mindset wanting to kill and win, I just don't have a good time. If a chase goes longer than I think it should especially with a generator or three popping as it happens my blood pressure and killer anxiety peaks. If I didn't get a 3k with that mindset I'd be disappointed and even in matches where I got a 3k I could still be miffed because that Entity-cursed, teabagging Nea managed to get away.
So now usually I go in with a backpack build and just want to have fun and earn bloodpoints. Sometimes I have fun and I always get decent bloodpoints so I don't feel disappointed much anymore. If I get genrushed and stomped I can move on to the next match that much quicker.
Sometimes I go in with an education mindset where I try to learn how to better use a killer's power or learn object hitboxes on maps. If I improved or learned something I won, no matter what the outcome of the match is.
Games are entertainment, something to pass the time. You don't have to win to have fun.
If your not having fun with a killer then try another killer, maybe that killer just not for you, there are 40+ killers to choose from.. I was a Spirit main at one point but fell out of love to a weaker (Legion) killer and Im having a blast. dont go in with a mindset of winning tell your self your new to this killer.
In the end we all play games because its fun. Still if you go into match and tie your fun to winning you might not have fun. It would then make sense to find something fun in playing that is not tied to winning. You can win of course still but its should not be the main point if you had fun or not.
People get way too caught up in the outcome of single games. It's normal to lose in any competition. Content creation has really warped how people think about games. The overwhelming majority of players are not going on massive win streaks. And no youtuber is regularly uploading their losses.
It's normal to not be at your best in every match. And I wouldn't put too much stock into people's postgame chat brainrot. Most of them have 2 brain cells competing for 3rd place.
Pick a goal on walk in. If you play to win DbD is miserable for Killer. That's for it's own crowd. But make your own goal and you'll have more fun. For instance on Huntress I sometimes go for '10m or more' runs, where I'll only hit survs with hatchets at 10m or more. Good practice, fun. Goofy. Or a maybe play a game of 'boo'.
Mix it up with your 'play to win games.' It'll ruin your MMR sadly, but who cares.
No one can tell you how to do this. It's something that you need to work on yourself. Start by recognising that it's just a game, has no real world implications, and a win or a loss reflects absolutely nothing on you as a person. Also, if you watch any content creators that drill the sort of mentality you're trying to get away from then stop watching them. Their job is getting views and part of that is engagement baiting.
The one thing we have control of in this game is our gameplay loadout and actions during a match. The rest is random.
Getting upset all the time is bad for your health. Be good to yourself, and be easy on yourself. You will be fine.
I just slug now makes the game way more fun since i don't have to deal with the stupid perks that turn on when i hook i can just keep chasing.
I've been around since late 2020. Most of my time is on killer. Piggy and Sadako to be precise.
I just stopped caring at some point. I got all the perks, all the characters and all the cosmetics I want. There is nothing in the game left for me to work towards other than p100. So what I try to do it play for fun. Get a few cool shots as Pyramid head? Thats a won game in my book.
Ifthe obnoxious part of the community is getting to you, then I encourage you to close comments on steam profile and minimize end game chat. These people won't change, so it's best to just ignore them.
If survivors bm in gate, then use that time to clear any left over pallets or breakable walls for points.
Find your own fun. Trust me, dbd is not worth getting that mad over.
I know how imbalanced the game is. I just don't care about it anymore. I accepted it for what it is.
Getting mad over it won't change anything.
I can't really vouche on the toxicity but in regards to you viewing yourself as a bad killer player.
If you 4k/sacrifice the survivors in a match does that mean they are bad survivor players...no
Same thing if survivors finish all the gens or escape does that mean you're a bad killer player? No of course not. Don't be so hard on yourself.
If you are feeling really frustrated after a bad game, then don’t queue up again. That will just make you feel worse. Take a minute and do something else. Everyone has made the mistake of queuing up right again after a frustrating game and will probably agree it was a bad idea.
Don’t read endgame chat. Either hide it or just leave instantly if it makes you feel that way. There’s no point in leaving it if it will just make you feel worse. If by “getting angry in endgame chat” you mean you are posting angry comments in the chat, then what if you were to try having a word document open or something and type your frustrations in there? You can vent and let off steam without it leading down a spiral of feeling worse (because the people in endgame chat won’t care you are angry, they’ll just try to fuel you).
A stress ball is also good!
This game is just frustrating in general for both sides. I think everyone can agree. And often the thing making you annoyed is completely out of your control, which makes it more frustrating! So it is important that you take breaks, even just a couple days goes a long way.
Lower cortisol by realizing it’s just a game and spend less time on it if you’re logging like 6 hours a day
I'm just not trying to get kills most of the time. Sometimes i could sonetimes i couldn't, but i'm never gonna kill the cute witcher family with the random steve thrown in.