Killer is in the worst state it has ever been

I’ve been playing this game since 2018 and have close to 5000 hours total. I recently returned after break, and man has the fun been sucked out.

It doesn’t matter if your chases are short. Unless you pick a section of the map to defend right at the beginning, you are going to lose if they decide to do the gens. Then there’s the killers. I tried xeno for the first time and it was an awful experience. A large chunk of its power is controlled by survivors and the tail requires pinpoint precision, meanwhile survivors get to plop down a turret whenever they feel like it. On top of that, a huge amount of loops don’t even let you use the power because they are too high.

This game’s problem is the same that it has always been: survivors have too many resources and second chances, on top of chained tiles and safe pallets. I legitimately don’t understand how anyone says that killer is easy. It was significantly easier when I started playing because even though survivors had major dirt, killer stuff could at least come close to matching it. Now every killer has been neutered to oblivion in the name of survivor fun.

This game needs to be balanced as a 1v4. Individual survivors hold far too much power for most killers to handle. It feels damn near impossible to win with certain killers and rng spawns.

Comments

  • BTW, following the DS changes, killer is now even weaker. The killer role exists for the amusement of survivors. Check out the changes over the past few years if you need proof.

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    Hardly disagree.

    DS is not busted anymore. Dead Hard is dead perk. UB is not meta. Healing got big nerf. Most of maps got nerfs and ended with big dead zones. Iron Will nuked, so it's easier to track survivors as well.

    Gen tapping removed and killer gen-kick buffed. We are getting pretty strong killers. Killers still have good anti-gen meta which helps to slowdown the game.

    It's actually the best state of game for killers right now.

    Sad to see you gone you were so active member. I just wonder what you did to get banned?

    @Xernoton said:

    Killers are in a pretty good spot right now. Sure, some are a bit weaker than they should be but most are good. More than good, honestly. If you play a killer for the first time and it goes badly that is not balancing issue. With 5k hours you should know that. Xenomorph is a very strong killer but also pretty hard because the tail attack is a bit confusing and you need to play around turrets. But if you can do that then Xeno becomes a pretty scarry beast.

    It sounds to me like you are playing against survivors that simply you by now because your MMR is a tad higher than it should be. Playing killer has never been easy (DBD is a pretty hard game after all) but it has become a lot more fair and even forgiving. You can afford to make some mistakes as long as the survivors make some as well. If they play flawlessly however, then it's only natural that you'll have a pretty hard time.

    It's true that most maps have more resources than necessary against the average M1 killer but there are also killers in this game that aren't Freddy, Trapper or Myers and can't be delayed that easy. So it's fair against some killers and unfair against others. For the most part it is somewhat alright though. In most games you don't need to play then entire map. You don't win by defending all gens. You only need to have 3 left to win and the survivors don't dictate which ones these will be (at least not entirely). If there is a gen in a far corner, then screw that. You don't need to go there. Nobody is forcing you.

    The only thing that is unfortunate is how fast paced the game has become. For both sides. As a killer, a single long chase can lose you the game, so you often need to let that survivor go and find someone else and in many cases it feels like you absolutely can't keep up with the gen speed, which can make you lose your cool and make more mistakes than you usually would. Many compensate for this by tunneling (even when it's not necessary), which only makes them win games they shouldn't, raises their MMR and then puts them against even stronger opponents. So the problem only gets worse.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3649169#Comment_3649169

    It's actually the best state of game for killers right now.

    Agreed. Although I would like to clarify that this is not the strongest but the healthiest spot the killer role has been in so far. 6.1.0 regression was so nutty, that I'd consider this the strongest killers have ever been.

    I agree after 6.1 killer was it strongest. You could win playing poorly if you just camped gens with strongest gen regression perk. Overcharge+call or brian, eruption and jolt were just disgusting. Survivors also took lot of time to adapt to the changes as they were so much used to be carried by dh.

    But now killers are not far off from that some maps now has only has like some quite unsafe pallets and often quite easy wins unless facing decent swf. Well I quess it's lot of luck if you get eyrie that is still survivor sided.

  • Am I playing the same game as u because 90% of my solo q matches end up snowballing before we've even done 2 gens

  • @woundcowboy said:

    BTW, following the DS changes, killer is now even weaker. The killer role exists for the amusement of survivors. Check out the changes over the past few years if you need proof.

    nah that’s just your bias

  • These statistics are only a small part and quite inaccurate as a large proportion of players do not use this website at all. I would be careful with this

    @Pulsar said:

    oh God I'm back here again

    Over 20,000 posts is quite a lot. I'd be interested to know if you do anything other than spend all day on the forum posting pro-survivor comments. Just a question, for the sake of interest

  • @woundcowboy said:

    BTW, following the DS changes, killer is now even weaker. The killer role exists for the amusement of survivors. Check out the changes over the past few years if you need proof.

    Maybe it's just you and you need to try something different than you have , the killer role is significantly better than it ever has been , I've played a long time too more killer than survivor you can't sit here and pretend like it's worse now than back then with the old brand new part, go ahead and post a non hacking video of 4 gens popping in 12 secs from todays dbd because that's the type of things we used to deal with every 3-4 games or how about when they Sabo the damn hooks they were gone forever leaving you only the basement? Recovering exhaustion, instaheals that I could pick a dying survivor you just spent 3 minutes chasing at a REAL infinite back up to full health instantly and make it like the game just started again, and don't get me started about the swamp and survivors dropping down the hole and you getting stuck on their head until they decide to move or you DC etc... there's literally a novel I could type out of all the BS that was actually broken back then today's dbd is way more killer friendly than it used to be

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3650239#Comment_3650239

    We've been constantly dropping players, they'd definitely quit if every Killer jumped to 75% Kill Rate because of 1/1000000 comp teams

    steam playercount's been pretty stable for years
    https://steamcharts.com/app/381210

    Edit-Sorry I guess this thread got necro'd. didn't realize how long ago you said this

  • Killer would be pretty good if it wasn't for all the cheaters right now. Some of the weaker killers like Clown for example have never been better while others like Freddy have never been worse. It depends on who you play.

    Also many of the new killers like Wesker, Xeno, Singu, Good Guy, Unknown are pretty strong. So they are on the right path but cheaters are a big problem right now so you do need to understand that without knowing it you could have played against them coming back to the game.

  • @joel84 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704296#Comment_3704296

    These statistics are only a small part and quite inaccurate as a large proportion of players do not use this website at all. I would be careful with this

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704355#Comment_3704355

    Over 20,000 posts is quite a lot. I'd be interested to know if you do anything other than spend all day on the forum posting pro-survivor comments. Just a question, for the sake of interest

    Well, I've been on the Forums for five years, so there's that.

    Likewise, you aren't the first person to accuse me of being a no-life Survivor main.

    Fun fact: I play almost exclusively Killer. When I played, I took it as far as I could and dabbled briefly in competitive DBD. Ultimately, I've backed off the game and Forums because I don't like the direction they are going. The game is out of ideas, the role I prefer has lost any real challenge and I see no indication of change.

  • @DBD78 said:

    Killer would be pretty good if it wasn't for all the cheaters right now. Some of the weaker killers like Clown for example have never been better while others like Freddy have never been worse. It depends on who you play.

    Also many of the new killers like Wesker, Xeno, Singu, Good Guy, Unknown are pretty strong. So they are on the right path but cheaters are a big problem right now so you do need to understand that without knowing it you could have played against them coming back to the game.

    the cheater problem is ridiculous

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704414#Comment_3704414

    Maybe it's just you and you need to try something different than you have , the killer role is significantly better than it ever has been , I've played a long time too more killer than survivor you can't sit here and pretend like it's worse now than back then with the old brand new part, go ahead and post a non hacking video of 4 gens popping in 12 secs from todays dbd because that's the type of things we used to deal with every 3-4 games or how about when they Sabo the damn hooks they were gone forever leaving you only the basement? Recovering exhaustion, instaheals that I could pick a dying survivor you just spent 3 minutes chasing at a REAL infinite back up to full health instantly and make it like the game just started again, and don't get me started about the swamp and survivors dropping down the hole and you getting stuck on their head until they decide to move or you DC etc... there's literally a novel I could type out of all the BS that was actually broken back then today's dbd is way more killer friendly than it used to be

    Broken things being removed doesn’t mean DBD is some high standard of balance.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704497#Comment_3704497

    Broken things being removed doesn’t mean DBD is some high standard of balance.

    It does mean that killer isn't in the worst spot it's ever been, though, which was the actual argument in the original post.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704492#Comment_3704492

    Well, I've been on the Forums for five years, so there's that.

    Likewise, you aren't the first person to accuse me of being a no-life Survivor main.

    Fun fact: I play almost exclusively Killer. When I played, I took it as far as I could and dabbled briefly in competitive DBD. Ultimately, I've backed off the game and Forums because I don't like the direction they are going. The game is out of ideas, the role I prefer has lost any real challenge and I see no indication of change.

    I'm surprised you only play killers. So if I just went off on you for some of your comments, I apologize. Now back to the topic at hand. Yes, DBD needs change. I've said that many times. If it were up to me, one less chapter. (3 a year would be perfect) and more quality of life changes instead. I don't like this "us vs them" either. By the way, I play both sides 50-50. There are sooo many good ideas from some people. Unfortunately, not so many of them are implemented. What we need is not just new items in the store or new chapters.... What DBD needs is Quality of Life. Bug fixes and the cheater problem first and foremost.

    @alpha5 said:

    @joel84 A sample size of 1217 is not that small. It may be too small given we do not know the total number of games or who submitted them but it is more than an anecdote.

    I know that this is of course a small indicator of where things are heading. All good

  • @joel84 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704561#Comment_3704561

    I'm surprised you only play killers. So if I just went off on you for some of your comments, I apologize. Now back to the topic at hand. Yes, DBD needs change. I've said that many times. If it were up to me, one less chapter. (3 a year would be perfect) and more quality of life changes instead. I don't like this "us vs them" either. By the way, I play both sides 50-50. There are sooo many good ideas from some people. Unfortunately, not so many of them are implemented. What we need is not just new items in the store or new chapters.... What DBD needs is Quality of Life. Bug fixes and the cheater problem first and foremost.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704540#Comment_3704540

    I know that this is of course a small indicator of where things are heading. All good

    I doubt even 3 Chapters per year would help.

    BHVR just updates too slowly and too poorly.

    We waited two years for a Twins rework only for it to be universally trashed within five minutes because EVERYONE could see it was bad.

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704762#Comment_3704762

    As it we're, reality is what it is. Skilled killers are in a great spot. Survivors are getting the current wave of 'lets dump on their perks and such.' Killers had it a bit before this with MFT, and so on and so forth. Its how BHVR does things.

    I do like how you keep getting people stirred up. its almost artful. My advice, which you can ignore of course, is just get some more practice in. Dbd isn't a game where you will ever get to a point where you say 'Well, I guess I've learned any and everything there is to know!". Unless you have the upper echelon of 5 digit hours played. I just can't shake this feeling you've had a losing streak latelyand think killers are in a bad spot for it. I'm currently 0 and 12 today Solo'q. I don't think the killers I had feel the pain you are at all. And judging by most of the posts on this thread, neither are we.

    Please let us know how the training is going! If you want some custom fun and shenanigans, always down :)

    I win most of my matches, so miss me with the condescending tone. It’s also laughable that you mention “skill” in the context of this game. The best strategies require very little skill on either side. Survivors hold W early and predrop pallets. Killers proxy camp hooks and patrol nearby gens, then tunnel one out early.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3663493#Comment_3663493

    "Saying that the balance is fine because a lot of people don’t know the game is a cop out." - I've said nothing of the sort.

    "It’s lazy thinking to say that the majority should dictate how we play and think about the game." - I've also said nothing of the sort.

    You are making a case that the game is trending towards survivor sidedness, you've framed it as "killer is in the worst state its ever been". You do make some good points about survivor contending 1v1 against killers which would have been more accurate back in the early days of boons, with all the self heals and the set ups that require less team interaction. A lot of that has been attenuated, not all but a lot.

    The results show you are more likely to die as survivor than to survive by a ratio of about 60-40. Unless I'm mistaken those results stem across MMR, a BHVR dev can correct me on this if they like.

     "Intrinsically killer has the mechanical advantage because the survivor advantage is reliant on team coordination something outside of BHVR's control." This previous point I made holds true even for high MMR.

    The only way to break it down is to show outcome ratio across MMR brackets, which as far as I'm aware they haven't. If you were to see a major switch between that 60-40 ratio between MMR bracket you could make a case for some of the things you are saying but as it stand the basis of your point is predicated solely on how you subjectively feel about the game.

    The point is just as subjectively applicable to killer as to survivor, meaning it doesn't have a great deal of basis.

    We aren't saying that all games should be balanced around average players, we are saying average outcome appears to be skewed toward killer. If this average takes in all MMR (and I have no reason to believe it doesn't)... then guess what games even at high MMR are still on average killer skewed.

    So how you feel the game is progressing isn't necessarily backed up by what's observed, at least by current records released. With that in mind you may want to reassess the basis for how you feel - is my point.

    I remember checking the stats and kill rates was even slightly higher in high MMR. So we can say it's pretty much that 60/40 ratio. But I personally expected it to be clearly lower as the game leans on survivor side when everyone knows what to do perfectly. But I think killers play harder, smarter and use stronger characters which probably explains it. In lower MMR many killer players play more casually and use weak killers. I think 4 man swf was shown to have best escape rate in high MMR though Im not totally sure.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704762#Comment_3704762

    It does mean that killer isn't in the worst spot it's ever been, though, which was the actual argument in the original post.

    My post is focused on since when I started playing in 2018. I used to be able to play chase-oriented builds and have a lot of success. Now if I’m not camping and tunneling against a good group, the game is already decided. I don’t care about 2016 dbd in which there were instant gen repairs and no gen regression period. If you want to go that route though, killer also had things that were much stronger than anything currently in the game. Nurse had no BS recharge meter and killers could mori without hooking.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704778#Comment_3704778

    My post is focused on since when I started playing in 2018. I used to be able to play chase-oriented builds and have a lot of success. Now if I’m not camping and tunneling against a good group, the game is already decided. I don’t care about 2016 dbd in which there were instant gen repairs and no gen regression period. If you want to go that route though, killer also had things that were much stronger than anything currently in the game. Nurse had no BS recharge meter and killers could mori without hooking.

    That's a fair degree to walk it back to, but it's still not exactly compelling.

    It's not that hard to think of a list of broken things that were fixed since then. Old hatch, old medkits, old DS, old DH, old Haddonfield, old Object of Obsession…

    Hell, most of these were fixed after I started playing a few years later, the killer role has almost exclusively been getting better over the years.

    Sure, killers used to have broken stuff too. Those being removed on both sides means the respective role gets a lot better for the players that never needed them.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3704778#Comment_3704778

    My post is focused on since when I started playing in 2018. I used to be able to play chase-oriented builds and have a lot of success. Now if I’m not camping and tunneling against a good group, the game is already decided. I don’t care about 2016 dbd in which there were instant gen repairs and no gen regression period. If you want to go that route though, killer also had things that were much stronger than anything currently in the game. Nurse had no BS recharge meter and killers could mori without hooking.

    In 2017 alot of that stuff was still there for survivors and it wasn't for killer so no it wasn't like you're saying with all that at the same time, this game was stupidly survivor sided when swf was introduced and the devs focus was to make it more fun for friends to join , the killer still had a 1 hook mori but killers across the board including nurse were nerfed while survivors stayed the same for a long time, maybe when you came around in 2018 it was starting to change but if you played killer in 2017-2018 you should know today's dbd is nowhere near as unbalanced, I used to despise DS so much for getting hit with it on first down after chasing someone at a long double pallet loop macro clicking with a true insta blind flashlight, I wanted to quit back then lol I don't feel that now

  • I'm in no position to argue about the current state of the game, because i haven't played the game in months and can't really bring myself to come back because of all the stuff, perk changes and new content i have missed. It just feels very bad when you come back to your former favourite game and you don't understand what's going on, because 2-3 new killers have dropped and the meta has shifted, DBD has become way to complex… but anyways, my point is something completely different:

    When people talk about how bad old DBD was i often see arguments like "there were infinite loops, insta-heals etc. …" but in order to make things comparable you have to keep in mind what both sides had back then and how the state of the game and the community was. I was able to win killer games when i started to play in late 2019/early 2020 despite all of these OP things.

    The playerbase back then was much more casual, there was much less information and content on the internet on how to exactly play each role the most efficient, the general vibe was more casual and partygame-like. One of the reasons probably was that there was no MMR, only seasonal ranks, so matches felt way more random. Sure, bully squads existed, but if those would have been the regular experience, this game wouldn't have grown to the peaks it later had.

    So my point is, it was perfectly possible to play the game as killer even with all this OP stuff in it, because 90% of the playerbase either didn't know about it or just wouldn't use BNP, insta-heals or bully swf loadouts every match. Same goes for solo survivor, killers were much less focused on highly efficient gameplay, so having a weak link wouldn't automatically mean a 4k at 4 gens like it was when i stopped playing in December 2023.

  • @solidhex said:

    I'm in no position to argue about the current state of the game, because i haven't played the game in months and can't really bring myself to come back because of all the stuff, perk changes and new content i have missed. It just feels very bad when you come back to your former favourite game and you don't understand what's going on, because 2-3 new killers have dropped and the meta has shifted, DBD has become way to complex… but anyways, my point is something completely different:

    When people talk about how bad old DBD was i often see arguments like "there were infinite loops, insta-heals etc. …" but in order to make things comparable you have to keep in mind what both sides had back then and how the state of the game and the community was. I was able to win killer games when i started to play in late 2019/early 2020 despite all of these OP things.

    The playerbase back then was much more casual, there was much less information and content on the internet on how to exactly play each role the most efficient, the general vibe was more casual and partygame-like. One of the reasons probably was that there was no MMR, only seasonal ranks, so matches felt way more random. Sure, bully squads existed, but if those would have been the regular experience, this game wouldn't have grown to the peaks it later had.

    So my point is, it was perfectly possible to play the game as killer even with all this OP stuff in it, because 90% of the playerbase either didn't know about it or just wouldn't use BNP, insta-heals or bully swf loadouts every match. Same goes for solo survivor, killers were much less focused on highly efficient gameplay, so having a weak link wouldn't automatically mean a 4k at 4 gens like it was when i stopped playing in December 2023.

    Dang, you hit the nail on the head here.

    Like you said, the game was never "unplayable" even with the more overpowered loops and survivor items. I too have fond memories of winning games as killer, even back when I started playing the game, back in 2018. Granted, some killers had pretty OP add-ons as well, such as Silent Spirit, with her legendary gen-grab jumpscares. Stuff like that made the game much more fun to play in my opinion. Yes it was overpowered, but oh so fun, especially in a "kill your friends" setting (yes, that was the old name for custom games).

    And I wholeheartedly agree on the monthly ranks. Games felt much more fair and balanced, and random too. Yes, there were bully squads, but they were most prevalent in the red ranks. If you were an average player, chances of facing a bully-SWF was minimal.
    Then you also had P2P hosting. Granted, some players could abuse this system, but it rarely happened. Most of the time, if the ping was too high, you could just find a different lobby that was within an acceptable range.

    Yes, the casual side has been slowly phased out over time. It seems for the most part that MMR and SBMM is to blame for this, since it has a tendency to create a more "competitive and sweaty" environment, which has a snowball-effect.
    Example: Casual killer player meets a toxic SWF who brings flashlights or a genrushing setup. Instead of getting to have fun, they would be lead on an unwinnable chase. In the event they actually gets to down that survivor, another would be right around the corner, ready to flashlight save. Killer gets angry, DC's or starts slugging. Next game, killer brings their most sweaty loadout, starts tunneling and camping, and gets the 4K at 4 gens against a very casual survivor team, likely full of solos. Survivors gets fed up, brings their genrushing builds against the next killer, and then the snowball is starting its journey. - This pretty much sums up how the game has become, and it really started after the SBMM update.

  • @solidhex said:

    I'm in no position to argue about the current state of the game, because i haven't played the game in months and can't really bring myself to come back because of all the stuff, perk changes and new content i have missed. It just feels very bad when you come back to your former favourite game and you don't understand what's going on, because 2-3 new killers have dropped and the meta has shifted, DBD has become way to complex… but anyways, my point is something completely different:

    When people talk about how bad old DBD was i often see arguments like "there were infinite loops, insta-heals etc. …" but in order to make things comparable you have to keep in mind what both sides had back then and how the state of the game and the community was. I was able to win killer games when i started to play in late 2019/early 2020 despite all of these OP things.

    The playerbase back then was much more casual, there was much less information and content on the internet on how to exactly play each role the most efficient, the general vibe was more casual and partygame-like. One of the reasons probably was that there was no MMR, only seasonal ranks, so matches felt way more random. Sure, bully squads existed, but if those would have been the regular experience, this game wouldn't have grown to the peaks it later had.

    So my point is, it was perfectly possible to play the game as killer even with all this OP stuff in it, because 90% of the playerbase either didn't know about it or just wouldn't use BNP, insta-heals or bully swf loadouts every match. Same goes for solo survivor, killers were much less focused on highly efficient gameplay, so having a weak link wouldn't automatically mean a 4k at 4 gens like it was when i stopped playing in December 2023.

    You played din 2019 that's when alot of the stuff was watered down already the stuff we're talking about is before that, like how you used to be able to Sabo trappers traps and they would be gone forever forcing him to be a m1 killer the entire match and then if someone else was Sabo on the hooks they were gone forever too and you just had the basement, in 2019 that was long gone you guys didn't have to deal but with the tail end of it

  • maps are still the biggest issue to this day . A match on coal tower is always fairlly balanced . However when maps like badham and GOJ are still in the game these issues you mentioned become much more prevalent

  • Wow, I have consistantly played this game since 2018 and it has NEVER been more killer-sided than it is right now. With more killer buffs on the horizon. This poster must just not be very good at killer (by his own admission he took a lengthy break).

    I am a survivor main to the tune of probably a 80/20 split on what I play and have zero problem getting a 4k. My killer mains are Trapper, Doctor and Myers and I sometimes go in with no perks. All the maps are smaller, console/PC mix lobbies are unorganized and generally have no comms and most loops have been nerfed to if they drop that pallet they are useless.

    My advice to any killer main who thinks this game is hard and can't find survivors it, go play survivor. That is how you learn where they are, where they spawn, which loops are good for them and which are not. You get a lot better at killer if you are good at survivor.

1 2 3 4 ›