Bit of a Rant

I know why people play like this. I understand that they've likely just come off of a very bad game.

However, holy ######### ######### dude. Immediately tunnel someone off of hook, hold a 3-gen, slug to death. I get it, you need a bounce-back game but some people get WAY to into this power fantasy.

https://youtu.be/pEbDnFRyYFw https://youtu.be/m47AmGDDo30 https://youtu.be/4FDF-UJdRmE

I'm not allowed to bleed out, my teammates won't pick me up and I'm definitely not allowed to play the game. This Doctor had zero interest in playing Killer, he just wanted to make other people as miserable as possible. Nobody was even good on my team, myself included. Jonah and I kept missing skill checks, David got instantly turbo-tunneled and Thalita wasn't even sentient for the first two minutes. She had three crows the first time I saw her.


It's just extremely frustrating to want to play DBD but to be unable to have even a half-quality experience with the game. I'm close to P100 and I want to get there but when the bonus is on Survivor, I think I'm just going to sit out from now on.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    This game also has bully SWFs, that try to make the game miserable for the killer. And if they are a streamer, then you can hear them make fun of the killer the entire match.

    Are you ok with survivors that purposely try to make the game miserable for killers?

    They complain about these behaviors from this Killer. Doesnt mean they agree the bully behaviors from Survivors.

    You brought us v them yourself and think Pulsar is survivors' main trying to shame Killers.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377011#Comment_3377011

    I'm not convinced that uber tunneling and killing someone off at 5 gens, then bleeding people out, then refusing to let them bleed out is simply "oh, he's just roleplaying being a Killer"

    This was four Solo's. He had literally already won a minute into the game. There was no bully squad.

    You just don't get it and that's OK.

    I know. You're the heroic type, a lot of people like to be play being the noble hero. I like to as well, sometimes, but there is also those who like to play the villain. There is a reason why the villains are often among the most popular characters in fiction works, sometimes even more than the heroic protagonists.

    Like I said, I do believe that, in the example you gave, that was quite a bit much and I have very little doubt that the killer player was indeed trying to be a toxic AH, personally I wouldn't have gone that far, but nevertheless I find the sanctimoniousity and self-righteousness often displayed in forum posts not entirely unlike this one laughable.

    I believe the root issue is people has trouble separating real life social interactions from social video game interaction. Chill out. Enjoy the ride. Laugh at the killer tripping over and letting you escape. Laugh at you messing up and ending up in the killers cruel hands.

    Anyway, I like DBD too so at the very least I can understand your point of view, even if I don't quite share it.

  • Pulsar doesnt play hero, he just want to play the game.

  • yea there's been a huge uptick in players who play like this for me too. It's gotten to the point where i just play killer now since at least then i much more control over the experience of the match

  • @Steakdabait said:

    yea there's been a huge uptick in players who play like this for me too. It's gotten to the point where i just play killer now since at least then i much more control over the experience of the match

    I'd expect the uptick trend to continue as killers who want to play fun, balanced matches leave because that's not possible by and large in the current meta. All DBD will be left with are the killers who tunnel at 5 gens and bleed people out for "fun."

    The uptick in encountering these kinds of killers is just a symptom of how badly the game has been mismanaged.

  • Let's try to keep the discussion civil, thank you.

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377206#Comment_3377206

    I mean tbf tunneling one person out at 5-gens is an efficient strategy. You can thank BHVR & killer mains for that.

    That's why I said AFTER he tunneled some out at 5 gens. Yes, it's efficient to do that.

    It's not efficient to slug people for minutes on end, then pick them up and drop them to extend their bleed out timer.

  • Would making it so that your bleed out timer doesn't stop while being carried, picked up, and put down help to accelerate the time that people have to endure this without it being abusable in some way?

  • @AGM said:

    Would making it so that your bleed out timer doesn't stop while being carried, picked up, and put down help to accelerate the time that people have to endure this without it being abusable in some way?

    I would be cool with that.

    There might be pushback from other people though. I’ve seen streamers try to give a survivor hatch, and spend like 5 minutes with the survivor on their shoulder, as they desperately try to find which obscure part of the map the hatch spawned at. But to be honest, they really don’t need to slowly carry the survivor around the entire map like a backpack.

  • Damn, that's rough. I hope your matches will get better soon. That is not what this game should come down to.

    There are such extremes on both sides. It's honestly sad to see how many people despise their opponents when it's just a video game.

  • I can sympathize with people who use dirty tactics clearly because they're outmatched and are about to lose, but slugging and letting people bleed out at 5 gens is the work of a scumbag. I swear that chashing survivors is fun and should be repeatedly done!

    I can't say I'm surprised that the community of a game where killers must sacrifice innocent survivors lack empathy in general. If you play like a shithead and it never dawns on you that your playing style literally hurt players, maybe it's time for self reflection. Survivors can hurt the game by clowning on the killer and giving them BM, but I'd argue that killer can deal the most damage to a game if they just keep survivors down for the count and don't even let play the game. Is it a valid tactic? Yes. Does it suck to go against? Absolutely, considering no one can even play the game to begin with.

    Sadly the game design is not without fault here because it does make that situation possible and encourages it. Basekit Unbreakable could help, I'd say make recovery take longer without the perk but make healing survivors in the dying state more efficient to counteract that.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377342#Comment_3377342

    Pulsar doesnt play hero, he just want to play the game.

    Yes, yes of course. I've said my piece and evidently it doesn't fit with the official narrative sanctioned by the forum concensus, so I'll leave you all to your thing.

    See. You in the fog.

  • @Mystic_Mizu said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377302#Comment_3377302

    Just because I use Head On because I'm injured and lockers keep me quieter, or I use a flashlight to save my teammates, doesn't mean I deserve to be slugged for 4 minutes. I'm just utilizing them to the best of my ability, not abusing it whenever chance I get. You just said if you use a flashlight or Head On then survivors should "suffer the consequences", that's really petty if I use it once or twice and I get slugged because the killer is that upset, that's quite childish. That's a "killer being angry that they can't win the game super easy with no perks or items" problem.

    You are using things favored by bully squads. The association is strong. Flashlights and Head On are not necessarily toxic on their own but they attract toxicity. I, like you, enjoy using Head On as insurance for hiding in lockers. Honestly, I have never been camped or tunneled after stunning with it. Probably because I was clearly using it defensively and not to antagonize.

    Every Killer has likely had multiple bad experiences with toxic Survivors and honestly, 4 mins is not a huge deal. You can go afk against toxic Survivors, come back 20 mins later, and they are STILL trying to antagonize you.

  • Sadly I bet most of the killers who do this aren't killer or survivor mains. These types when they play survivor they likely run in bully swf squads. When they play killer do they do this crap. These types of players version of fun is to make everyone miserable.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376754#Comment_3376754

    Well, right now I'm 2/4 today in the "cruel and unusual punishments" category.

    Doesn't count turbo-tunneling or instant 3-gen camping, if it did I'd be a perfect 4/4 so far.

    I went to go make a sandwich and ate it while I was watching and taking clips. There's only so many sandwiches I can make ya know

    work at subway easy fix

  • @Pulsar said:

    I know why people play like this. I understand that they've likely just come off of a very bad game.

    However, holy ######### ######### dude. Immediately tunnel someone off of hook, hold a 3-gen, slug to death. I get it, you need a bounce-back game but some people get WAY to into this power fantasy.

    https://youtu.be/pEbDnFRyYFw

    https://youtu.be/m47AmGDDo30

    https://youtu.be/4FDF-UJdRmE

    I'm not allowed to bleed out, my teammates won't pick me up and I'm definitely not allowed to play the game. This Doctor had zero interest in playing Killer, he just wanted to make other people as miserable as possible. Nobody was even good on my team, myself included. Jonah and I kept missing skill checks, David got instantly turbo-tunneled and Thalita wasn't even sentient for the first two minutes. She had three crows the first time I saw her.

    It's just extremely frustrating to want to play DBD but to be unable to have even a half-quality experience with the game. I'm close to P100 and I want to get there but when the bonus is on Survivor, I think I'm just going to sit out from now on.

    Have experienced this as well, the game seems to be in a genuinely bad spot at the moment due to a couple of bad apples ruining it for everyone else on whatever side :/

    What I personally do after games like this is hop on as killer and play the type of killer I'd like to face, even put on some BPS and just chill/meme as Ghosty with the goofiest perks possible. And if the games after that are still against people who or set on ruining other people's day, then whatever I'll play Cyberpunk or any other game that is actually FUN.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377013#Comment_3377013

    You just don't get it and that's OK.

    I know. You're the heroic type, a lot of people like to be play being the noble hero. I like to as well, sometimes, but there is also those who like to play the villain. There is a reason why the villains are often among the most popular characters in fiction works, sometimes even more than the heroic protagonists.

    Like I said, I do believe that, in the example you gave, that was quite a bit much and I have very little doubt that the killer player was indeed trying to be a toxic AH, personally I wouldn't have gone that far, but nevertheless I find the sanctimoniousity and self-righteousness often displayed in forum posts not entirely unlike this one laughable, and the whole "oh this guy just tortured a bunch of rookies in a game, he must be a psychopathic human detritus, completely devoid of satisfaction in R.L. And he drowns kittens in the river and steals candy from babies" argument completely nonsensical.

    I believe the root issue is people has trouble separating real life social interactions from social video game interaction. Chill out. Enjoy the ride. Laugh at the killer tripping over and letting you escape. Laugh at you messing up and ending up in the killers cruel hands.

    Anyway, I like DBD too so at the very least I can understand your point of view, even if I don't quite share it.

    This raises a really good point and its often the point I'm trying to convey.

    Another player isn't immediately a terrible person just because they really get into a game, even a PVP game.

    Most of the posts bemoaning this are making pretty negative assumptions about the other player.

    i.e. To play like this you must be...

    • Angry
    • out to ruin other peoples fun
    • just out of a bad game and wanting revenge
    • a bully
    • a bad person

    You don't know anything about your opponent so why assume.

    To equate a bad game experience with real world bullying just does a disservice to people who've suffered from real world bullying.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377342#Comment_3377342

    This raises a really good point and its often the point I'm trying to convey.

    Another player isn't immediately a terrible person just because they really get into a game, even a PVP game.

    Most of the posts bemoaning this are making pretty negative assumptions about the other player.

    i.e. To play like this you must be...

    • Angry
    • out to ruin other peoples fun
    • just out of a bad game and wanting revenge
    • a bully
    • a bad person

    You don't know anything about your opponent so why assume.

    To equate a bad game experience with real world bullying just does a disservice to people who've suffered from real world bullying.

    Well, it's nice to see someone who shares my POV. It means I'm the only one crazy. I mean.

    Honestly the dbd community has always struck me as strange.

    I have played my fair share of online games that are somewhat infamous for their toxic community and taking the game too seriously, such as LOL and WOW, but dbd stands out.

    It's not that there are toxic players, you can find those essentially in any online game, except lotro, and DBD doesn’t seem to me to have such a big toxicity problem.

    Rather is the community's negativity. I mean even in other games people will just call others names or wish them harm or even be idiots in the match, but nobody gets their day ruined for it or suffers anxiety and calls out bullying. They just trash one another and move on. Like drivers honking at each other on the street. Sure you have your extreme cases, but not like this.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377750#Comment_3377750

    Well, it's nice to see someone who shares my POV. It means I'm the only one crazy. I mean.

    Honestly the dbd community has always struck me as strange.

    I have played my fair share of online games that are somewhat infamous for their toxic community and taking the game too seriously, such as LOL and WOW, but dbd stands out.

    It's not that there are toxic players, you can find those essentially in any online game, except lotro, and DBD doesn’t seem to me to have such a big toxicity problem.

    Rather is the community's negativity. I mean even in other games people will just call others names or wish them harm or even be idiots in the match, but nobody gets their day ruined for it or suffers anxiety and calls out bullying. They just trash one another and move on. Like drivers honking at each other on the street. Sure you have your extreme cases, but not like this.

    I don't know maybe the horror genre is more prone to attracting the antisocial and/or emotionally unstable given its generally more unsettling content and themes.

    I don't think that really explains it though, because for such a brutal premise, the players who indulge in it can have paper thin skins.

    Largely it shouldn't matter what happens in game providing everyone can GG and move on without any animosity afterwards, its only a game after all.

  • @pseudechis said:

    I don't condone it I mean its unnecessary to play like that and having a bad game previously isn't really an excuse for doing so.

    But let's play devil's advocate a little here, you could at least appreciate the slasher film nature of a game like that.

    I mean its thematically on point and finding even the positive in that kind of experience can often just improve your outlook on games in general.

    People talk about bullying a lot in this game but I gotta admit when playing survivor I'm more forgiving of the killer being a jerk for a couple of reasons.

    Most killer jerk moves have a timer, 4 mins bleed out, 3min hook state and you die, leave game and move on. The game still progresses albeit much slower than normal. Because there is a timer that ends these things that is mostly outside the killers control so while things stall they don't tend to stall much beyond the timers.

    It often fits the theme, a killer trying to murder me in the most brutal way kinda works because, for example I wouldn't expect leatherface as a character to be thinking of my feelings.

    So I'm happy to forgive a lil more jerk on the killer side just because as someone who likes this game for the theme it strikes me as a thematically appropriate way for the killer to play if they choose.

    (Not everyone will agree with me on this and they don't have to... but before you accuse me of supporting bad behaviour just take a moment and think about your outlook on the game and how much a game like this ruins your fun, what I'm saying is only a perception to help reduce your own frustration if this sort of thing upsets you... so give the point of view a try before you call me the devil).

    Whereas jerk survivor behaviour, it typically involves mob mentality which is usually unpleasant, it's generally out of character thematically, but its harmless for the most part because as pointed out by others bobbing up and down can't hurt you or impact the game so why let it.

    But when coordinated teams really commit it tends to stall the game completely, you can group chain locker stun and blind the killer for 30mins of 0 game progression if you like and I've seen it and I've played teams who've tried it.

    So the most egregious offences killers tend to employ typically have a timer that's largely out of their control so you can leave game and move on, the same isn't necessarily true for the most egregious survivor offences.

    Fortunately games like this tend to be rare, buts it's more likely you'll come across a killer hell bent on playing like this than a full group of survivors out to stun lock you... still I think it's a lil more forgivable from the killer because well I don't expect to be murdered politely.

    But let's play devil's advocate a little here, you could at least appreciate the slasher film nature of a game like that.

    I mean its thematically on point

    Let me play reverse devil's advocate on theme which I think is critically important to the game.

    The thought of being chased by a knife wielding maniac is scary, so is the thought of getting cancer. The similarities end after scary. The first is fantastic and exciting, the latter realistic and depressing.

    DbD and horror movies go for the first because they bring excitement and tension. Those are feelings people enjoy having. Part of the problem with the BM that killers can do is how much it kills theme. Facecamping isn't scary or tense, just boring - bleedouts aren't scary when the killer is standing over you, they are annoying.

    One of the best pieces of advice I got early about enjoying DbD is be prepared to alt-tab/do something else if the opponent BMs. Left to bleed out, go get a sandwich, etc. While that improves the game from the player perspective, BHVR should be aghast at the concept. Horror games are supposed to have people on the edge of their seat, whenever there are elements where players are frequently like 'I got bored and did something else even though the game was still technically playing' is not a good sign.

    It often fits the theme, a killer trying to murder me in the most brutal way kinda works because, for example I wouldn't expect leatherface as a character to be thinking of my feelings.

    Sure, but I'd like them to think/play like the killers of the movies. No horror movie would work if the killer got the first person, and then just sat there while the rest of the characters got away.

    Whereas jerk survivor behaviour, it typically involves mob mentality which is usually unpleasant, it's generally out of character thematically

    If we're just talking theme-wise I think this makes more sense. Frequently in horror movies the non-killers have their moment when they turn the tables / decide to take the fight to the killer. And while situations where they can do it infinitely should be stopped (and over time are much less common than they used to be), but a 'we're taking the fight to the killer' doesn't break the theme (as long as at least one survivor is getting gens done).

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376784#Comment_3376784

    I'm saying that whenever we have a forum post complaining about bully SWFs, we get told "it's not that bad" and "it's ok because they aren't doing generators when they are bullying". I'm saying that if these forums are going to make it a point to not care when survivors bully killers, then why should we care if killers bully survivors?

    It's just like how some people think it's ok to ragequit as a survivor, but these same people want to shame killers that lobby dodge, because "people should play every match". If killers should play every match, then survivors should do the same, right?

    I rather take bully squad which actually makes me able to play the game. If you're decent as killer they are not too hard to counter I usually whipe the floor with them. But what really is worser as killer is gen rush squad who does all gens in minutes so you won't be even able to play the game.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376793#Comment_3376793

    You raise an interesting question.

    Can you be "bullied" in a game that you won?

    You 100% can.


    I had a game last night on the Borgo playing Sharp Hand Joe. I won, but only after almost 20 minutes of the most grueling beamer squading, Flashbanging, double Head-On coordinated stun gameplay I've ever had to suffer through.


    Just because they cared more about making me miserable than their win condition doesn't mean it was not absolutely bullying.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    This game also has bully SWFs, that try to make the game miserable for the killer. And if they are a streamer, then you can hear them make fun of the killer the entire match.

    Are you ok with survivors that purposely try to make the game miserable for killers?

    That is so bull #########, I've never come across a "bully SWF" in my entire time playing this game.

  • Then you haven't played Killer very long.

  • @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3377070#Comment_3377070

    But let's play devil's advocate a little here, you could at least appreciate the slasher film nature of a game like that.

    I mean its thematically on point

    Let me play reverse devil's advocate on theme which I think is critically important to the game.

    The thought of being chased by a knife wielding maniac is scary, so is the thought of getting cancer. The similarities end after scary. The first is fantastic and exciting, the latter realistic and depressing.

    DbD and horror movies go for the first because they bring excitement and tension. Those are feelings people enjoy having. Part of the problem with the BM that killers can do is how much it kills theme. Facecamping isn't scary or tense, just boring - bleedouts aren't scary when the killer is standing over you, they are annoying.

    One of the best pieces of advice I got early about enjoying DbD is be prepared to alt-tab/do something else if the opponent BMs. Left to bleed out, go get a sandwich, etc. While that improves the game from the player perspective, BHVR should be aghast at the concept. Horror games are supposed to have people on the edge of their seat, whenever there are elements where players are frequently like 'I got bored and did something else even though the game was still technically playing' is not a good sign.

    It often fits the theme, a killer trying to murder me in the most brutal way kinda works because, for example I wouldn't expect leatherface as a character to be thinking of my feelings.

    Sure, but I'd like them to think/play like the killers of the movies. No horror movie would work if the killer got the first person, and then just sat there while the rest of the characters got away.

    Whereas jerk survivor behaviour, it typically involves mob mentality which is usually unpleasant, it's generally out of character thematically

    If we're just talking theme-wise I think this makes more sense. Frequently in horror movies the non-killers have their moment when they turn the tables / decide to take the fight to the killer. And while situations where they can do it infinitely should be stopped (and over time are much less common than they used to be), but a 'we're taking the fight to the killer' doesn't break the theme (as long as at least one survivor is getting gens done).

    Yeah but a bad game of DBD is far from equivalent to a positive cancer diagnosis so lets leave that shall we.

    If some of the game elements are creating that level of emotional response then not even BHVR can fix that, that is a player's personal emotional issue.

    Yeah there are some dull moments but avoiding this is what makes the game so intense. Think how bland the game would be if you just died and respawned all the time. BHVR have largely already addressed this issue as these so called boring things have a timer. Is the timer too long I don't think so but others may disagree.

    Yeah a camping game isn't the most interesting but it can be if people go for trades and saves but the ideal play is to smash out the gens and leave because why risk your personal MMR/Rank/BP's. The problem isn't camping its how the game records and rewards outcome. That's a BHVR problem.

    Lastly on theme, that is a very good point.

    A game where survivors are trying to flee from the killer is different from a game where experienced players are trying to distract the killer and waste their time.

    There is nothing wrong with the latter, its still a legit game of DBD, but I just find it more underwhelming of an experience than the former.

    But you do make a very good point its not out of character to "fight back" against the killer as it were.

  • @rinnai said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3376761#Comment_3376761

    That is so bullshit, I've never come across a "bully SWF" in my entire time playing this game.

    Yeah but you have to remember your solitary experience doesn't encompass the experience of all other players.

    You are one data point in a sea of data points.

    When we consider this, then using your sole personal experience is a really weak premise to base an argument on.

    Just a lil thing to think of next time you want to refute someone's point.

  • And I cannot wait for it to get here.

  • @Pulsar Moments like this are why I have Spotify on my ps4. I switch to my playlist and ignore people's weird power trip activity. Somehow the song of BlackOut makes me feel powerful and hot

1 2 ›