DCing and Suiciding on Hook is a Symptom

If Suiciding on Hook and DCing is increasing, this is a symptom of poor game health. In fact, this is probably the biggest red flag there is for a game.

Comments

  • @JaviiMii said:

    Without having read through all the "grow up" comments that imo miss the point (hence not addressing them) I agree with the OP: DC/suiciding is a symptom of an underlying issue. The issue is a mismatch between expectation vs reality, imo. To a certain degree change means that some things that worked before don't work anymore. This leads to a disconnect between (old) expectations vs (new) reality. To some degree time will do the trick; in time there are new expectations that match up with the new reality. So far I agree with the people who say to not make too much of a fuss and just wait and see for a while.

    However. If people have an idea of what they can expect going forward and don't find it worth playing a game they will, you guessed it, quit. For now this dissatisfaction is voiced through suiciding on hook and DCing; you could say some people either refuse to accept the new reality or have not yet given up hope and are still willing to try. In time a number of the players suiciding on hook/DCing may quit. An overall, constant and noticeable increase in suiciding on hook and DCing is indeed a pretty good indicator of something being absolutely not alright with the game atm and an early warnign sign that it's not at all unlikely that a pretty large amount of players will quit in the near future. Granted, the ratio of "Players who'll come around after matching their expectations with the new reality" and "players who will quit" is an unknown for the time being but I'd say it's usually wiser to err on the side of caution.

    Thank you for having a mature insight I to this. I've been playing almost exclusively solo survivor since the patch. Never relied on the meta so my expectations vs reality aren't changed at all on the survivor side, I've even managed to adept Jonah and Yoichi over the last few days.

    Do I think the patch over buffed some things? Yes. Has my solo experience changed much? No.

    The biggest difference I've experienced is the number of people immediately giving up on first hook. When they do I try to keep playing but if I see a second person doing it? I'm out. Sorry, 2v1 at 3-5 gens remaining when I'm the one that's powered two 90+ second gens by myself I will also give up on first hook.

    Imo it's a combination of players mentality and overtuned changes in the patch that the increase of DCs/Suicides is a symptom of. Had they left gens at 80 and simply buffed a couple perks and the hit cool down it could be an entirely different experience. Had they added 10 seconds, not buffed cooldowns and buffed some of the perks it could also be a whole other experience. There's no real way of knowing.

    We're at the point where BHVR has multiple balance avenues to take. They could finally work on the solo vs swf imbalance and get that part of the game closer to the balance it needs. They could take the easy route and revert a couple buffs or nerfs to attempt balance. They could also use this time to implement more chore mechanic changes that can achieve balance. Patch 6.1.0 is a transitional patch and if BHVR has proven one thing to me with DBD it's that nothing stays the same forever.

  • Symptom of boredom and entitlement, really.

  • @Gindaen said:

    If Suiciding on Hook and DCing is increasing, this is a symptom of poor game health. In fact, this is probably the biggest red flag there is for a game.

    Well...if you dont have fun by ruining game to killers (as survivor), so go on, and ruin game to other survivors, who worship this messy patch. :)

  • @Murgleïs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088303#Comment_3088303

    The solution is to increase penalties. A DC should remove -50 000 BP too.

    The only change I can see to DC penalties that might be plausible is increasing the first DC penalty to 30 minutes. That gets them out of at least one round, if not two, of games.

  • Yeah, this is a symptom of entitlement and losing privilege rather then of there being a problem with the game itself.

  • What's the worse that could happen? Easier less stressful games? I'm not going to stay in a match where my teammates troll me. You also can't force me to wait on a hook.

  • Disconnecting is not as powerful as just not playing at all and letting the player numbers speak for themselves.

    I mean - it's better than ruining the game for everybody on your team.

  • @Murgleïs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088303#Comment_3088303

    The solution is to increase penalties. A DC should remove -50 000 BP too.

    And a camp and unsportmanlike should resolve in a Killer having huge penalties.

    Such as less BP.

    Unable to queque as a killer,forced to play SoloQ survivor,R.I.P killer bias by then :))

  • People throwing the game/abusing a feature is symptom of the game health, I don't think that is a valid logic honestly.

  • @Gindaen said:

    If Suiciding on Hook and DCing is increasing, this is a symptom of poor game health. In fact, this is probably the biggest red flag there is for a game.

    Ya I agree with this, it does show the health and state of the game and every body that's is sitting here saying it's not and just excusing it for "free kills" is immature

  • @VoidOfMe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088350#Comment_3088350

    what if I tell you that right now stats must be showing a huge amount of dc'ing and killer "wins"?

    what do you think should happen next?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088351#Comment_3088351

    What if I tell you that, unless you have the stats to show me, the plural of 'anecdote' is not and never will be 'evidence'?

    I see lots of DCs and suicides.

    Thing is - I saw just as many before the patch.

    I suspect that this entire thing is 50% the equivalent of 'change this or I troll ur game' and 50% people seeing what they are looking for to support their position.

    @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088316#Comment_3088316

    That doesn't matter. What matter is it's happening at a lot now, indicating a problem with game health.

    No, it indicates that we need stronger penalties for DCing and probably something to stop suiciding. Basically every PvP game I've ever played had tons of ragequits, unless there was a strong penalty for doing this.

    @StuMacher said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088395#Comment_3088395

    My point: "survivors could turn the table..."

    That feeling is not there anymore. The match is set a lot sooner.

    I totally disagree.

    Survivors have plenty of strong options to help them in the endgame, as well as some new tools like baseline BT (allowing you to trade a lot easier).

    A few nerfs were a bit heavy handed (welcome to killer life for the past 3 years) but most of them were fine, and will - once people stop it with the Chicken Little-ing and adapt - likely end up with a much healthier game overall.

  • @Somna said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088345#Comment_3088345

    The only change I can see to DC penalties that might be plausible is increasing the first DC penalty to 30 minutes. That gets them out of at least one round, if not two, of games.

    Massive punishment for unintentional disconnection

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088384#Comment_3088384

    What if I tell you that, unless you have the stats to show me, the plural of 'anecdote' is not and never will be 'evidence'?

    I see lots of DCs and suicides.

    Thing is - I saw just as many before the patch.

    I suspect that this entire thing is 50% the equivalent of 'change this or I troll ur game' and 50% people seeing what they are looking for to support their position.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088319#Comment_3088319

    No, it indicates that we need stronger penalties for DCing and probably something to stop suiciding. Basically every PvP game I've ever played had tons of ragequits, unless there was a strong penalty for doing this.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088416#Comment_3088416

    I totally disagree.

    Survivors have plenty of strong options to help them in the endgame, as well as some new tools like baseline BT (allowing you to trade a lot easier).

    A few nerfs were a bit heavy handed (welcome to killer life for the past 3 years) but most of them were fine, and will - once people stop it with the Chicken Little-ing and adapt - likely end up with a much healthier game overall.

    "I saw just as many before the patch"

    using your own words, can you show evidence?

  • @Huntressmain_1223 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/336930/dcing-and-suiciding-on-hook-is-a-symptom

    Ya I agree with this, it does show the health and state of the game and every body that's is sitting here saying it's not and just excusing it for "free kills" is immature

    Honestly it shows health and state of the players than game.

  • intentional or not, they deserves to be punished because game has been ruined.

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3089669#Comment_3089669

    Honestly it shows health and state of the players than game.

    Ya, lol that's what I meant sorry,but completely

  • Giving people incentives to stay in the game is just too much I guess. No one wants to stay in a game that they feel isn’t worth their time. With the current update you have instant queues. You also have no bloodpoint incentive to stay in a match. You can just leave and instantly get a better match which will probably be a better use of your time.

  • @Gindaen said:

    If Suiciding on Hook and DCing is increasing, this is a symptom of poor game health. In fact, this is probably the biggest red flag there is for a game.

    Patch did absolutely nothing to address camping and with the extra time for gens there's more camping than ever. The joke that is base kit borrowed time is worthless when the killer just parks on the hook. I've seen games where survivor goes down in first 15 or 20 secs. Camped outta game. Oh do gens? Epic idea, except solo queue can't coordinate because devs seem to feel SWF should be the essence of the game. Oh the fun bonus I'd the survivor trying to kobe because they don't wanna sit there cranking themselves while Bubba revs his saw to the face whole time.

  • This can be seen as the symptom the DC penalties aren't enough.

  • @drsoontm said:

    This can be seen as the symptom the DC penalties aren't enough.

    Do you think DC penalties mean a thing to a person not enjoying the game.

    And also, isn't the whole killer-theory on camping to give killers an incentive not to camp, not to punish them. Doesn't that not also apply to DCs?

    Maybe instead of punishing DCs, maybe incentives should be made to keep players from DCing.

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3089845#Comment_3089845

    Do you think DC penalties mean a thing to a person not enjoying the game.

    And also, isn't the whole killer-theory on camping to give killers an incentive not to camp, not to punish them. Doesn't that not also apply to DCs?

    Maybe instead of punishing DCs, maybe incentives should be made to keep players from DCing.

    I'd rather see them not ruin games for the ones who are playing and trying.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3090936#Comment_3090936

    I'd rather see them not ruin games for the ones who are playing and trying.

    Camping ruins games too. Why is it that killers need compensation to not ruin a survivors experience but a survivor should be punished for ruining a killers experience.

  • I always see this argument, "If survivors are DCing and giving up on hook it's a sign there's something seriously wrong with the game"

    I'd be interested to know what specific balance issues are being demonstrated when I down a survivor with clown or wraith or something and they DC, pre- or post-patch.

    If you (general "you") think that survivor is unplayable you will be compelled to instantly remove yourself from any game you load into, why tf are you still playing survivor?

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3090958#Comment_3090958

    Camping ruins games too. Why is it that killers need compensation to not ruin a survivors experience but a survivor should be punished for ruining a killers experience.

    Do I need to point out the killer is in the opposing team? A DC mostly ruins teammate's.

    Besides, camping and tunneling, as annoying they can be, are valid tactics.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    I always see this argument, "If survivors are DCing and giving up on hook it's a sign there's something seriously wrong with the game"

    I'd be interested to know what specific balance issues are being demonstrated when I down a survivor with clown or wraith or something and they DC, pre- or post-patch.

    If you (general "you") think that survivor is unplayable you will be compelled to instantly remove yourself from any game you load into, why tf are you still playing survivor?

    I think the part you are missing is that "If survivors are DCing and suiciding "more-than-normal", it's a sign of game health issues".

    That seems to be happening after this patch at an extremely high rate, unseen in previous patches. It indicates that survivors (maybe solo queue) hate the game so bad that they are DCing/Suiciding on hook.

  • @Murgleïs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088303#Comment_3088303

    The solution is to increase penalties. A DC should remove -50 000 BP too.

    Increasing the penalty for multiple DCs in a week might help, but there’s not much Behaviour can do about sore losers intentionally killing themselves on the first hook. The only solution to that would be to change the game so you can’t try and pull yourself off a hook at all and I doubt they’d ever do that.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3090962#Comment_3090962

    Do I need to point out the killer is in the opposing team? A DC mostly ruins teammate's.

    Besides, camping and tunneling, as annoying they can be, are valid tactics.

    I'm not going to waste time on arguing semantics, because we can go down that rabbit-hole all day long. And to be honest, that's just static anyway, unimportant. Either the developers believe in incentives to prevent bad behavior or they believe in punishments for bad behavior. You can't have one set of rules for one group and an entirely separate set of rules for another group.

    Either Killers need incentives to not tunnel/camp-at-gen-5, which means that Survivors also need incentives to not DC/Suicide

    or

    Killers needed punished for tunnel/camp-at-gen-5, which means Survivors also need punished for DCing/Suiciding.

  • Hate to be "That guy" but killers had to put up with survivors for years being dominant and rude, I've seen it myself and there's still plenty of videos showing examples of what I mean on youtube, Killer's were insulted and accused of being toxic for simply trying to win when odds were against them. What did Killer's do? THey adapted and tried to play the game while making their complaints. However, survivors not getting their way has had a huge backlash that makes me hesitant to side with them because of how angry and upset they seem over 1 update that can easily be undone if it really is that bad. They've undone things before from what I can tell and if it were that bad they probably would. But survivors are acting like everyone is out to get them while acting like they've been the victim the entire time and have their hand totally clean.

  • @Rudjohns said:

    If my game has survivors on the 2nd hook and 5 gens left, I'm sorry, I am killing myself on hook too. What's the point? I just get ready for the next game.

    Loser behavior. There is always a chance to comeback. And even if you don't comeback and win, it may help your fellow teammates escape.

    It's a PvP game. If you don't have the energy and ability to hang, play something else.

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3090989#Comment_3090989

    I'm not going to waste time on arguing semantics, because we can go down that rabbit-hole all day long. And to be honest, that's just static anyway, unimportant. Either the developers believe in incentives to prevent bad behavior or they believe in punishments for bad behavior. You can't have one set of rules for one group and an entirely separate set of rules for another group.

    Either Killers need incentives to not tunnel/camp-at-gen-5, which means that Survivors also need incentives to not DC/Suicide

    or

    Killers needed punished for tunnel/camp-at-gen-5, which means Survivors also need punished for DCing/Suiciding.

    I believe killers need incentive not to camp and tunnel, but DCs need to be punished. Let's chalk it up to opinion, I just wanted to precise the way I saw that picture.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091013#Comment_3091013

    I believe killers need incentive not to camp and tunnel, but DCs need to be punished. Let's chalk it up to opinion, I just wanted to precise the way I saw that picture.

    But why? Both are unwanted behaviors. Why would giving incentives to one side and punishing the other side make sense.

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091061#Comment_3091061

    But why? Both are unwanted behaviors. Why would giving incentives to one side and punishing the other side make sense.

    I don't what to tell you. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system

    Listed in "not bannable offenses".

    DC however, is bannable and doesn't even need to be reported.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091157#Comment_3091157

    I don't what to tell you. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system

    Listed in "not bannable offenses".

    DC however, is bannable and doesn't even need to be reported.

    Isn't this really just logic chopping.

    I mean I can say that suiciding-on-hook is a legal tactic, just the same as 1-step-camping.

    You're kind of ignoring the big picture for all of these little meaningless nitpicks.

    As a whole, you either incentivize players or you punish players. Incentivizing one side and punishing the other side is unfair and your player base knows it. The worse thing a game can be is unfair.

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091177#Comment_3091177

    Isn't this really just logic chopping.

    I mean I can say that suiciding-on-hook is a legal tactic, just the same as 1-step-camping.

    You're kind of ignoring the big picture for all of these little meaningless nitpicks.

    As a whole, you either incentivize players or you punish players. Incentivizing one side and punishing the other side is unfair and your player base knows it. The worse thing a game can be is unfair.

    But that's the thing. I don't think the game is fundamentally unfair at the moment. I believe the only real issues are the MMR putting players with different levels together (same team or opposing player) and the people leaving instead of trying to do better.

    Every solo game I've played since 6.1.0 was either ruined by these, either ranging from fine to fun. It also went progressively better as the rage-quitters are staying at the bottom of the MMR pit.

    There may be adjustments tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091218#Comment_3091218

    But that's the thing. I don't think the game is fundamentally unfair at the moment. I believe the only real issues are the MMR putting players with different levels together (same team or opposing player) and the people leaving instead of trying to do better.

    Every solo game I've played since 6.1.0 was either ruined by these, either ranging from fine to fun. It also went progressively better as the rage-quitters are staying at the bottom of the MMR pit.

    There may be adjustments tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

    You don't address the symptom as a medical doctor, you address the problem. If DCing/Suiciding on hook is increasing, then it's a sign of a problem. Addressing DCing/Suiciding on hook does nothing, because you're addressing the symptom.

  • @malloymk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088561#Comment_3088561

    Loser behavior. There is always a chance to comeback. And even if you don't comeback and win, it may help your fellow teammates escape.

    It's a PvP game. If you don't have the energy and ability to hang, play something else.

    No, there is never a chance unless the killer stops playing

  • @Gindaen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3091238#Comment_3091238

    You don't address the symptom as a medical doctor, you address the problem. If DCing/Suiciding on hook is increasing, then it's a sign of a problem. Addressing DCing/Suiciding on hook does nothing, because you're addressing the symptom.

    It depends on the diagnostic. One part of the problem is players giving up. Survivors had an unfair advantage that was removed (stated). The game was too hard for killers (stated). The devs have attempted to fix both these issues. They'll monitor and tune the changes, as stated. Nobody sane is saying everything is perfect.

    Instead of sabotaging matches, they should make a pause for a week or two, or try to play normally and learn something new. I don't blame them for giving up. I blame them for ruining it for the ones that didn't.

  • When people are disconnecting because they don't want to play your game anymore it is a problem.

    People can say it's scummy to disconnect and it is, you're ruining the game for your team, but if people are throwing games en masse it means something is wrong and the game isn't fun.

    Increasing the penalty won't do anything but encourage people to pick up another game in the meantime and forget about dbd. Why wait ten minutes to play a game where you're just going to get crapped on?

  • @SuzuKR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088292#Comment_3088292

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088303#Comment_3088303

    fun fact, deciding to ragequit by DC/suiciding on hook and ruining the game for the other 4 players in the lobby because you don’t feel like facing something that’s a part of the game that is available to be used is on you, not them

    something being potentially unbalanced doesn’t excuse ragequitting

    Fun fact: sometimes there is no rage involved but boredom and annoyance watching 3 teammates make no attempt whatsoever to get you off a hook and let you struggle through almost all of phase 1 on the hook. You make one last attempt to free yourself - and then ? struggle on the hook or just let go to move on to a more interesting game ?


    Ever considered that or is anyone who does not play along a stupid and boring round automatically "raging" ?

  • @malloymk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088561#Comment_3088561

    Loser behavior. There is always a chance to comeback. And even if you don't comeback and win, it may help your fellow teammates escape.

    It's a PvP game. If you don't have the energy and ability to hang, play something else.

    2nd hook and 5 gens? It's GG at that point with extended gen times.

  • @SuzuKR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088319#Comment_3088319

    No, it indicates a problem with maturity. Balance does not excuse ragequitting. People need to grow up and get over themselves and submit feedback to devs maturely, not throwing tantrums.

    How do you know they're throwing tantrums? RQ and suicide on hook is ez, do it seconds, coming to the forum or taking the time to submit something to devs shows dedication to being butthurt. Immaturity or moving on? lol

  • @SuzuKR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088292#Comment_3088292

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088303#Comment_3088303

    fun fact, deciding to ragequit by DC/suiciding on hook and ruining the game for the other 4 players in the lobby because you don’t feel like facing something that’s a part of the game that is available to be used is on you, not them

    something being potentially unbalanced doesn’t excuse ragequitting

    I'm sorry, but I don't blame people for quitting when they go against Blight, Nurse and Spirit using a ton of slowdown perks (tunneling/camping as well). Let's not forget Thana Legion as well. I'm talking about suiciding on hook, not DC'ing.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3088316#Comment_3088316

    I'm sorry, but I don't blame people for quitting when they go against Blight, Nurse and Spirit using a ton of slowdown perks (tunneling/camping as well). Let's not forget Thana Legion as well. I'm talking about suiciding on hook, not DC'ing.

    Honestly, I can't blame people for quitting against a lot of stuff. It's like Killers expect 4 people to continue playing a miserable game just so they can have fun.

    Who in their right mind sits through a Blight who has already killed someone and 5 gens are left. A Nurse that's slugged everyone in 1 minute (I don't even understand why people play Nurse at this point. I mean honestly, do people actually like winning in 30 sec flat. Seems lame). A Legion where the game lasts 30 minutes. Face-camping at gen 5.

    If the killer obviously doesn't want to play the game, why should the survivor.

  • I feel like people have this fascination with survivors DCing or killing themselves on hook always being moments of "I saw trickster and instantly DC'd," when in my experience it is rarely like that.

    It's usually that one survivor keeps getting proxy camped and tunneled and is on death hook while the killer ignores everyone else. Or it's 3 minutes in, maybe 1 gen is done and people are already on death hook or slugged. Or they just watched a moment of complete idiocy from team mates (I just watched two healthy survivors get grabbed off the same gen. Picked up one, dropped, then picked up the other—stupid). Or they are being camped and the match has barely started. Or it's a 2v1 and they want the other survivor to have a better chance at getting the hatch.

    There are those insta-DCs, but in my experience so far those are not the most prominent type of DC. Those insta-DCs are also the only kind I can't think of a reason why someone would DC. At least the examples I put above I can usually get an idea of why, and typically I don't blame them for their choice.

  • DCing and suiciding on hook shows, must of the times, a great display of salt and ragequits are very satisfaying to see, a sympton of a salt production going on

  • @Jinxed said:

    When people are disconnecting because they don't want to play your game anymore it is a problem.

    People can say it's scummy to disconnect and it is, you're ruining the game for your team, but if people are throwing games en masse it means something is wrong and the game isn't fun.

    Increasing the penalty won't do anything but encourage people to pick up another game in the meantime and forget about dbd. Why wait ten minutes to play a game where you're just going to get crapped on?

    This is one of the only rational responses in this entire thread.

    People can do their moral grandstanding about DCs being an unforgivable sin all they want, but it does nothing to look at and try to resolve the actual issue at hand. Instead of vilifying, the question needs to be “why?”, and the answer has to be tangible and practical.

    There will always be people who do these things. But whether you agree with it or not, more people doing it a game issue, not just an individual issue.

1 2 ›