The killer is not your friend

They shouldn't take it easy on you.

This is the only pvp game i've played where the most effective tactics avaiable,that have been in the game since release,approved by devs and not bugs are considered toxic and people even go out of their way to shame players who use them.


Yes I get it,its not fun dying 5 minutes into the game,yeah getting camped is uninteractive but these strategies are what killers need to resort to if they want to find consistent success against good players.(good luck 12 hooking when 2 gens pop after your first down)


When people queue up to play killer,they dont do so to be the plaything of 4 randoms,they want to have fun and win.


To me its mindboggling that after all these years tunneling,camping,slugging are still seen as toxic actions employed by the killer and not simply bad game design.


Making the game a 1 v 3 asap is common sense,why arent killers rewarded for unique hooks?


The counter to camping requires slamming gens and limiting player interaction,against certain killers you may even need to leave someone behind.


I dont know how popular this opinion is but slugging is healthy for the game and i'll die on this hill.


If you find these strategies unfun demand changes to the devs, dont blame the killers for not taking it easy on you

Comments

  • I wholeheartedly disagree if you're talking about doing all of that and it being okay at 4/5 gens. At 2/3 gen? Tunneling and camping are fine, but before that.. that's just having bad map pressure.

    When I play killer and notice an obvious skill difference I will def go easy on survivors. I'll hook everyone twice, maybe kill 2 but let 2 go. I don't miss out on any fun doing that.

    As survivor, I absolutely love killers that show any bit of personality and aren't just your average 'killing-bots'. Killers that will stand beside my hook when the entity takes me or Ghostfaces that goof around despite still playing the game (e.g. getting hooks/kills) will always make me smile and enjoy the game more. Same for nodding Demo pups <3

  • @Thusly_Boned said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064044#Comment_3064044

    You have time (60 seconds for each stage), you don't have to arrive at the hook within 10 seconds. If survs are already within 10 meters of the hook immediately after the hook is complete, that's just poor surv play, flat out. I would argue the only reason for this is either the survs are babies, or they are hook farming. Both survs on the hook and their teammates would do well to remember this (I play almost more surv than killer, so I know how this goes).

    If this is you and the killer as they're leaving the hook, you have screwed up:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/7Q4X2BSUOI8O/driving-umbrella-academy.gif

    If a team demonstrates they are all going to just drop what they're doing and beeline for the hook every time, and the killer waits for a few seconds before leaving, that's on the survs. It's like if your're fishing and the fish just throw star throwing themselves out of the water. Why would you cast again? It's noob play to immediately hookbomb.

    The inverse of this is hooked survs sending themselves to second stage because their team doesn't immediately start coming when they are hooked. That's a sign of inexperience in the same vein as survs who let go of the gen and run the seconds they hear the terror radius.

    If the killer is a true camper, they're not going anywhere regardless. But with most killers, waiting 15-30 seconds will result in the killer leaving the area and allows for a safe unhook. Rushing for hook saves is a rookie mistake and results in a large number of "camping" complaints.

    Killers who camp usually don't wait 15-30 mins and than leave the hook unprotected. They stay there till u are dead or someone saves u but gets taken out.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063998#Comment_3063998

    "the normal way" and there it is yet again the preconceived notion of the way you want to play being right, normal etc thus trumping how anyone else might play.

    Normal DBD also involves camping and tunneling its part of the game.

    One could argue its becoming more normal because survivors don't know how to outplay it and often get so upset that they make bad decisions thus throwing the game.

    You are making assumptions about your opponent based solely on an in game mechanic that you don't like. That's a recipe for upsetting yourself and has nothing to do with your opponent.

    If ur playing it the honest and fair way camping is not part of it. If u are playing dirty, camping becomes part of it. No matter how many times someone tries to justify it or say it's part of the game. It's not, it is something people do to make one survivor suffer while the others get to play the match normally and not have to worry about the killer at all. Getting bloodpoints for finishing generators all while u are stuck on the hook and can do nothing. How is it fair to do that to any one survivor in the game. It's not and that is why there should be a penalty that comes with doing it.

    Also there's no other justifiable reason for doing camping other than it's a dirty tactic employed by people who don't want to play the game as it should be played and to ruin one Survivor's match. U can disagree with me all u want but at the end of the day camping is, was and always will be a dirty tactic by killers.

  • @Malkhrim said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063998#Comment_3063998

    Oh, so by the same logic, I say if you use DS, Dead Hard, Borrowed Time or med-kits, syringes and map offerings it means you're bad at playing survivor, because in the end of the day it's because you don't know how to win without using second chance perks, or how to find others to get healed instead of using an item that gives than a free heal, or how to win in other map instead of the one most favorable for you.

    DS, Dead Hard, flashlights, BT, god-pallets, map offerings, green toolboxes, BNP, purple med-kits, syringes and body-blocking to protect survivors are not and should not be part of the game because it makes the game less fun for the killer and it shouls the survivor is a mean disrespectful person who would rather use unbalanced and stressful things to win than win honest and fairly.

    It sounds really stupid, doesn't it? It's the same logic you're applying.

    Even the best killer players camp, and I can even show you videos of people camping in the highest skill tournaments. Some of the most skilled streamers, like Otzdarva and Dowsey, camp and tunel too. If the killer camps, it means they realized it's the best route to victory, not that they are "bad". There is no rule saying camping is "not normal gameplay" or "dirty" and THE DEVS THEMSELVES confirmed camping and tuneling are legitimate strategies.

    And as you can see, a lot of things survivors use and do are unfun for the killer to. Hell, survivors who do gens efficiently and fast are the most unfun thing to face in the game. But guess what, survivors do it to win, and that is fine, just like killers use their strategies to win. No one is a "mean disrespectful person" for not sacrificing their own fun and victory for the fun and victory of the people they are supposed to play against in first place. Stop judging others for your made up rules.

    All those things u listed about survivors are stuff survivors should be doing to win matches. If it ruins the Killer's fun, there's nothing that can be done about it. U think camping has a place in the game where as I do not. I also call things as I see them. Weather something is part of a game or not, if doing it comes off as a mean or dirty tactic to someone like me. No matter what u say to justify it is not gonna change my way of thinking even if professional streamers and tournament DBD players do it. That is not gonna make me dislike it any less.

    I have a right to an opinion and to dislike something in a game and vent about it weather we agree or disagree.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3062927#Comment_3062927

    Sure but the only things killers and survivors HAVE to do is repair gens and escape, or catch survivors and sacrifice them. There are a number of ways they can go about that in game and they are all pretty clearly defined.

    Lets refer back to your statement...

    "You getting a kill within 1 gen pop, or even before 1 gen pops is a HUGE and disproportionate advantage, and the fact that all it takes is complete disengagement to regular gameplay is what makes it toxic"

    Define "complete disengagement from regular gameplay"...???

    Sounds to me that you are arbitrarily defining what's appropriate in game (or regular gameplay) prior to game start and going in with the expectation that all players should adhere to that definition of pre-defined play.

    Your statement isn't about what killer and survivor HAVE to do... its about what you WANT killer and survivor to do and if they don't do what you WANT then somehow that's toxic.

    I'm not defining what is bad behaviour - the devs have done it themselves.


    The bloodpoint system will actively 'punish' you for camping a hook, BT becoming basekit and the fact that devs have stated they want to make tunneling and camping more difficult, should speak volumes in the fact that camping around a hook (and tunneling that survivor if they DO get rescued) is disengagement from desired gameplay.


    Yeah, you can argue that only doing gens and escaping is the objective, but that's not true, whatsoever. You wouldn't actively get points in the BP system for altruism or chase if they weren't intended as objectives. You wouldn't have pallets or windows that elongate a chase, if chasing wasn't part of survivor objective.


    I don't know why you're trying to dissect what I say to prove me wrong, when if it wasn't deemed as inappropriate gameplay, then they wouldn't be looking to change and deter players from playing like that.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3063412#Comment_3063412

    I'm not defining what is bad behaviour - the devs have done it themselves.

    The bloodpoint system will actively 'punish' you for camping a hook, BT becoming basekit and the fact that devs have stated they want to make tunneling and camping more difficult, should speak volumes in the fact that camping around a hook (and tunneling that survivor if they DO get rescued) is disengagement from desired gameplay.

    Yeah, you can argue that only doing gens and escaping is the objective, but that's not true, whatsoever. You wouldn't actively get points in the BP system for altruism or chase if they weren't intended as objectives. You wouldn't have pallets or windows that elongate a chase, if chasing wasn't part of survivor objective.

    I don't know why you're trying to dissect what I say to prove me wrong, when if it wasn't deemed as inappropriate gameplay, then they wouldn't be looking to change and deter players from playing like that.

    you’re reading too much into the emblem system.

    Gaining extra points for varied play does not mean that non varied play is bad.

    It’s possible to smash out gens and walk out the door and consider it a win with very few blood points. That’s just as “normal” a game of dbd as any other.

    Chasing isn’t an objective it’s gameplay to achieve the objective of escaping. You can play a whole game of DBD and not get into a single chase and still escape thus completing your objective.

    BHVR has stated that camping, tunnelling, even BM are not reportable and are within the rules of standard gameplay.

    They're part of normal gameplay. You want to play DBD a certain way great but that doesn’t mean everyone else has to play it the way you want to. Nothing you have said changes this fact.

  • The honest and fair way according to you.

    the game is asymmetric it doesn’t have to be fair. Players are gonna do what they can to win, what they find fun, what is permissible within game. All are fine providing they are within game rules.

    Sorry but claiming your way is honest and fair is just bullshit. In fact what you are asking is for other players to rigidly adhere to what you consider fair and fun, how is that fair on them?

    I guess it’s only fair when others make concessions for you not the other way round eh.

    Camping is just gameplay that’s all. It’s defined as fair play under the rules of the game no matter what rules you want to make up for yourself.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    I rarely play Killer, but I gotta admit, when I see a Survivor surrender and drop their item in front of me, I do have an automatic, "Awwww 🥺🥺" lol Emotionally manipulative Survivors 😆😂

    Depends on the situation.

    If you're at 3 gens left and there's only two survivors left, and you find that Bill that keeps accidentally running into you and is clearly really trying his best, I'll let him off.

    If I'm 4 gens down, only 3 hooks and the Claudette who's been running in my face the whole game tries it, it's hook time.

    I feel for some survivors, I really do. That solo q person who the swf keeps running me into gets out. End of. Because some survivors seem to think I can't tell that they are running me into their team.

    When I see a person die to first hook while their team just hides, I make sure to end them all. Survivor is something I personally find harder to play than killer skill wise, so I completely understand the frustration of dying to first hook. And the time I got hooked in the basement with kindred on and still died made me realise how bad solo q can be.

    So all in all, I tend to think about how survivors feel when I play. Unless they're cocky. You know the ones.

  • We are all just people sitting behind a keyboard/controller.

  • @Malkhrim said:

    DBD is the only horror-themed game I've ever seen where players get angry with the monster (in this case the killers) for killing them instead of taking it easy and being their friend.

    The killers represent murderous horror-movie villains. They are not supposed to be nice, they are not supposed to be merciful, they are not supposed to take easy on you and they are not supposed to let you bully and laugh at them. Their objective is to kill you with any means at their disposal, and you can't blame them for doing exactly that. If you want to be a friendly killer, go ahead, but don't expect everyone to do the same.

    Sure, you shouldn't be an ######### as a player and mock the people that are losing to you. But making sure you kill them and win? That's simply the killer doing its job. If you think it's unfun to lose this way, blame the game, not the player. A lot of things survivor use against killers aren't fun at all to face either.

    Strangely enough, though, if you ARE merciless you will just increase your MMR and get sweaty game after sweaty game. I often don't want to 4k, just because I am shooting myself in the foot in the long run. DBD also is the only horror-themed game, were the killer might be scared to kill off the survivors, because it will result in more miserable games in the future.

  • @Malkhrim said:

    DBD is the only horror-themed game I've ever seen where players get angry with the monster (in this case the killers) for killing them instead of taking it easy and being their friend.

    The killers represent murderous horror-movie villains. They are not supposed to be nice, they are not supposed to be merciful, they are not supposed to take easy on you and they are not supposed to let you bully and laugh at them. Their objective is to kill you with any means at their disposal, and you can't blame them for doing exactly that. If you want to be a friendly killer, go ahead, but don't expect everyone to do the same.

    Sure, you shouldn't be an ######### as a player and mock the people that are losing to you. But making sure you kill them and win? That's simply the killer doing its job. If you think it's unfun to lose this way, blame the game, not the player. A lot of things survivor use against killers aren't fun at all to face either.

    Monsters? Do you imagine a monster offended because a surv crouch in front of him?

  • You can only tunnel and camp when you're losing tbh, when I play 4,4ms killers on big maps I'm literally forced to camp everytime, that's why all tricksters and slingers camp you can't do anything else, definitely blame the game not players (they should do something about bubba tho)

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064290#Comment_3064290

    Strangely enough, though, if you ARE merciless you will just increase your MMR and get sweaty game after sweaty game. I often don't want to 4k, just because I am shooting myself in the foot in the long run. DBD also is the only horror-themed game, were the killer might be scared to kill off the survivors, because it will result in more miserable games in the future.

    Thats what I think, double hook and slug them is a win to me, I dont try hard to 3-4K. I dont understand why many Killers try so hard for 4K, then vs try hard swf and make complain about high MMR.

  • Those same killers when I run 4 SWF with DH, DS, COH, UB with 4 BNP (They suddenly don’t like it when people sweat and use the most optimal strategy)

  • @Advorsus said:

    I highly disagree. I'm totally everyone's friend and all survivors should come give me a hug 😈

    E1OYW39WYAA7YUL (2021_05_16 12_53_22 UTC).png

    Unless it's Myers...

  • @Advorsus said:

    I highly disagree. I'm totally everyone's friend and all survivors should come give me a hug 😈

    They will come eventually, you just need to wait on the hook.

  • @tester said:

    Do you know how to use search function? There are a million threads already attempting to justify camping and you don't have a unique take.

    Camping doesn't require justification. It's already justified. The only thing that requires justification is thinking killers shouldn't play to win.

    Sit down.

  • @Maxx_Calin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064316#Comment_3064316

    All those things u listed about survivors are stuff survivors should be doing to win matches. If it ruins the Killer's fun, there's nothing that can be done about it. U think camping has a place in the game where as I do not. I also call things as I see them. Weather something is part of a game or not, if doing it comes off as a mean or dirty tactic to someone like me. No matter what u say to justify it is not gonna change my way of thinking even if professional streamers and tournament DBD players do it. That is not gonna make me dislike it any less.

    I have a right to an opinion and to dislike something in a game and vent about it weather we agree or disagree.

    Alright. That's your opinion. Doesn't make u right or anything. Just shows dbd is not for u if ur getting that mad over a in game mechanic that devs stated is a legit strategy. Not all players who camp are mean disrespectful people. And remember if ur getting mad over it just eat a kit Kat and take a small break. It just a game.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3066185#Comment_3066185

    Thats what I think, double hook and slug them is a win to me, I dont try hard to 3-4K. I dont understand why many Killers try so hard for 4K, then vs try hard swf and make complain about high MMR.

    I do the second stage slug often as well but it can be underwhelming, sometimes its just more fun to get the actual kill/mori.

    Having to attenuate your gameplay in order to avoid an overwhelming number of unpleasant SWF teams (they are often unpleasant to play with), isn't great.

  • I can't agree more. I fought it for a while when i first played, wanting to camp/slug/tunnel. But going for hooks just ended with 4 teabags and clicking at the exit gates. I'm not even that high mmr as killer, the matchmaking has always matched average killers with higher skill survivors. Camping/tunnelling is way more consistent to secure at least a "draw" (2k). As stated in the original post, solid teams will just slam gens when they realize the killer is camping. which generally means 3 escape b/c it costs 1-2 gens to down the first survivor. the remaining 3 survivors can knock the last gens out before the hooked survivor dies (assuming they hit all the skill checks and don't rage quit).

    All this to say, BT basekit was not needed. Survivors who don't know how to deal with camping killers just want to whine and not learn to play a different way.

  • @leafninja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064410#Comment_3064410

    Alright. That's your opinion. Doesn't make u right or anything. Just shows dbd is not for u if ur getting that mad over a in game mechanic that devs stated is a legit strategy. Not all players who camp are mean disrespectful people. And remember if ur getting mad over it just eat a kit Kat and take a small break. It just a game.

    Never said I was right about it, merely was stating my opinion. Not everyone is gonna like camping in the game and agree with someone else on their opinion. It's not wrong to dislike an aspect of one of ur favorite games. When people aren't camping me on a hook. It's a fun game to play and I enjoy it. But when a match is ruined for me cause someone decides to hook me and not let anyone save me or even give them a chance to. Than it's less fun. U don't need to camp to win a match if u are good at playing the killer.

  • @Maxx_Calin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3064316#Comment_3064316

    All those things u listed about survivors are stuff survivors should be doing to win matches. If it ruins the Killer's fun, there's nothing that can be done about it. U think camping has a place in the game where as I do not. I also call things as I see them. Weather something is part of a game or not, if doing it comes off as a mean or dirty tactic to someone like me. No matter what u say to justify it is not gonna change my way of thinking even if professional streamers and tournament DBD players do it. That is not gonna make me dislike it any less.

    I have a right to an opinion and to dislike something in a game and vent about it weather we agree or disagree.

    "All those things u listed about survivors are stuff survivors should be doing to win matches. If it ruins the Killer's fun, there's nothing that can be done about it". EXACTLY like camping and tunneling. That was my point.

    No one said you don't have the right to have an opinion, and I love when people act as if being pointed wrong is like not having freedom of speech. Just like you are allowed to have an opinion, I am allowed to say your opinion is wrong and it doesn't make sense.

1 2 ›