BHVR Needs to step up their Game.

I just came back from playing Evil Dead the Game and VHS. The Devs of these games put out patches quick and they actually listen to players transparently.

Evil Dead has a Bright future with a long Road Map ahead while VHS is still in BETA but the Devs cares enough to hold the game and build a fortress for cyber security and optimization while making balance changes frequently.

I'm sorry but currently DBD feels lacking af and my motivation for playing DBD recently is just for the Bloodpoints and because I bought the Battlepass, Other than this, I find no motivation to play DBD.

BHVR really has competition this time around. I know the past competitors but I really think Evil Dead and VHS are an actual Competitors that will steal Player Count.

Comments

  • Evil Dead and VHS are currently in only 1 platform allowing their devs to release patches more easily and faster.

    The next 3 major patches will include game-changing features and tweaks players asked for and rewards for the veterans who still play. I don't think they're doing wrong, this is the best news we got since years ago.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    Evil Dead and VHS are currently in only 1 platform allowing their devs to release patches more easily and faster.

    The next 3 major patches will include game-changing features and tweaks players asked for and rewards for the veterans who still play. I don't think they're doing wrong, this is the best news we got since years ago.

    I'll believe it when I see.

    BHVR loves to overpromise and under-deliver.

    See Console Optimization.

  • Funny. Whenever it comes to the point to say that DBD is losing players, some people mention Twitch-Viewers. But now they are not mentioned:

    DBD 25k

    Evil Dead 2300

    VHS 4300

    Strange....


    They are not really competition. Really, only because a game is asymmetrical does not mean that it will compete with DBD. Especially if you can actually fight back as Survivor on those games - Killers already complain about DS, how would they feel if the Survivors can actually fight back? Doubt they would like it.


    And last but not least, it is kinda naive to think that other games will not run into Balance Problems or Bugs or anything what gets critized on DBD.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    Evil Dead and VHS are currently in only 1 platform allowing their devs to release patches more easily and faster.

    The next 3 major patches will include game-changing features and tweaks players asked for and rewards for the veterans who still play. I don't think they're doing wrong, this is the best news we got since years ago.

    Boons was regarded as a Bad Idea overall, but they still went with it. Sooo Yea Don't trust BHVR to actually deliver on actual "Balanced" Changes

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Funny. Whenever it comes to the point to say that DBD is losing players, some people mention Twitch-Viewers. But now they are not mentioned:

    DBD 25k

    Evil Dead 2300

    VHS 4300

    Strange....

    They are not really competition. Really, only because a game is asymmetrical does not mean that it will compete with DBD. Especially if you can actually fight back as Survivor on those games - Killers already complain about DS, how would they feel if the Survivors can actually fight back? Doubt they would like it.

    And last but not least, it is kinda naive to think that other games will not run into Balance Problems or Bugs or anything what gets critized on DBD.

    Keep in mind that Evil Dead the Game just released like a Month ago and VHS is still in Beta with 1000 Players.

    DBD didn't start out with it's 11 Million Followers. Think of DBD as a Tree while Evil Dead as a Seedling while VHS as a planted Seed. They have a lot of Potential.

  • @D3spair said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979663#Comment_2979663

    Boons was regarded as a Bad Idea overall, but they still went with it. Sooo Yea Don't trust BHVR to actually deliver on actual "Balanced" Changes

    circle of healing appeared in their most used perks chart, you can expect a change to this perk or boons in general with the other 40 promised reworks they have half-way prepared and until this patch they have been nerfed already a total of 3 times in less than one year

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Funny. Whenever it comes to the point to say that DBD is losing players, some people mention Twitch-Viewers. But now they are not mentioned:

    DBD 25k

    Evil Dead 2300

    VHS 4300

    Strange....

    They are not really competition. Really, only because a game is asymmetrical does not mean that it will compete with DBD. Especially if you can actually fight back as Survivor on those games - Killers already complain about DS, how would they feel if the Survivors can actually fight back? Doubt they would like it.

    And last but not least, it is kinda naive to think that other games will not run into Balance Problems or Bugs or anything what gets critized on DBD.

    Evil Dead released less than 6 months ago, and VHS isn't even fully out yet. DbD has been out for 5 years now, and has seen its playerbase drop by HALF in the last year. I think both games have a chance at unseating, or at least competing, once they have actually had some time to exist. Also, using twitch numbers is frankly idiotic, considering the fact that people WATCHING the game are very obviously not PLAYING the game. Twitch numbers literally means 25,000 people would rather watch somebody else play DbD than actually PLAY it, which is needless to say, not a very good look.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979663#Comment_2979663

    I'll believe it when I see.

    BHVR loves to overpromise and under-deliver.

    See Console Optimization.

    I can take their word for once since they knowledged the biggest issues and showed charts and future content almost ready. The last optimization patch also boosted up my Switch frames to be more decent to hold. I'm seeing positive progress already and coming

  • @CosmicParagon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979671#Comment_2979671

    Evil Dead released less than 6 months ago, and VHS isn't even fully out yet. DbD has been out for 5 years now, and has seen its playerbase drop by HALF in the last year. I think both games have a chance at unseating, or at least competing, once they have actually had some time to exist

    If a game is new it shold have higher viewcounts. But it does not.

    (I mean, I dont care about any viewcounts, I just find it funny that it is used to show how bad BHVR and DBD are, but not when the viewcounts are much higher than the "competition")

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979666#Comment_2979666

    I can take their word for once since they knowledged the biggest issues and showed charts and future content almost ready. The last optimization patch also boosted up my Switch frames to be more decent to hold. I'm seeing positive progress already and coming

    I can't.

    I've been burned too many times and I think a lot of people feel the same.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979680#Comment_2979680

    If a game is new it shold have higher viewcounts. But it does not.

    (I mean, I dont care about any viewcounts, I just find it funny that it is used to show how bad BHVR and DBD are, but not when the viewcounts are much higher than the "competition")

    Bruh, by your logic Overwatch 2 which had broke Twitch Viewership Records when it came out in Beta (but lost it 90% of its viewer in a span of 2 weeks) should be better than DBD.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979682#Comment_2979682

    I can't.

    I've been burned too many times and I think a lot of people feel the same.

    With ya there buddy. These guys have lowered my moral playing this game.

  • Sorry but, vhs is boring af, the matches are so loooooooong, and there is no interaction in chases when you don't have any weapon, and if you do, the killer will start to run and I already closed this game, Evil dead is just hype, and the next dbd updates promise much ngl, the prestige rework is insane

  • @D3spair said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979663#Comment_2979663

    Boons was regarded as a Bad Idea overall, but they still went with it. Sooo Yea Don't trust BHVR to actually deliver on actual "Balanced" Changes

    I disagree, I've always thought Boons are a fine idea and I say that as a killer main. Circle of Healing has been the only problematic Boon, the rest are fine. There's a vocal minority that has a bug up their butt about Boons in general, they're not the consensus.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979672#Comment_2979672

    I disagree, I've always thought Boons are a fine idea and I say that as a killer main. Circle of Healing has been the only problematic Boon, the rest are fine. There's a vocal minority that has a bug up their butt about Boons in general, they're not the consensus.

    I know people will disagree but when they announced it, I was one of the people that saw Boons as a Buff to SWFs and more needless mechanic that waste Killer's Time when they have enough time to only worry about.

    Edit: I believe I was right though when Mekaela just released as Hit and Run strat was killed.

  • @D3spair said:

    I just came back from playing Evil Dead the Game and VHS. The Devs of these games put out patches quick and they actually listen to players transparently.

    Evil Dead has a Bright future with a long Road Map ahead while VHS is still in BETA but the Devs cares enough to hold the game and build a fortress for cyber security and optimization while making balance changes frequently.

    I'm sorry but currently DBD feels lacking af and my motivation for playing DBD recently is just for the Bloodpoints and because I bought the Battlepass, Other than this, I find no motivation to play DBD.

    BHVR really has competition this time around. I know the past competitors but I really think Evil Dead and VHS are an actual Competitors that will steal Player Count.

    VHS looks like crap

  • Thing is, many people, myself included, invested so much time in DBD to switch over to any other similar game. If I want to play something else, it'll be an entirely different genre, and if I want to play an asymetrical game, it'll be DBD.

    That and I don't care for Evil Dead as a franchise. VHS looks neat, but not enough for it to make me switch over. (that and it's not even fully out yet, so it doesn't matter)

  • I have no desire whatsoever to play either of those two and threads like these only reinforces my decision to sticking with DBD even more.

  • On a related note remember when there were all these posts about how people were jumping ship from DbD to play Elden Ring? Steam Charts for that game started out at something huge like 950k players, now 3 months later it's at 68k. I'm not sure why people thought a one-shot action RPG would be a long lasting competitor to DbD. 🤷‍♂️

    Evil Dead seems "ok". It's a lot more like Left 4 Dead than Dead by Daylight, but at least it's in the 4v1 multiplayer horror genre. So far it sounds like it's doing alright but the shine came off it a bit in the last couple of weeks, less people are watching it on streams and I think somewhat flawed parts of the game are starting to show more. It has potential, though, to stick around if they can keep at the development to vary the gameplay more and polish it up a bit.

    VHS ... who knows? 🤷‍♂️It really seems like that game has kind of come and gone and it's still in Early Access. On a side note, I saw one comment on the VHS forums that sounded kind of telling - "1 killer chasing 4 survivors is usually fun. 4 survivors beating up 1 killer is usually not fun." That core gameplay loop in VHS sounds like it's become a bone of contention.


    Honestly, though, and I've said this before, I think DbD's main threat is simply its age and attrition over time. 6 years old is pretty lengthy in video game timespans. I really do think a lot of the loss last year had as much to do with DbD being an older product and people just naturally migrating to other newer games over time as with anything else. And eventually they'll have to consider a DbD 2.0 game if only to keep up with new technology and really bring in a bunch of new players to the franchise. Who knows when or if that would happen, but video games don't last forever (at least as a practical matter, I'm sure there's still fringe fans playing Ultima and Zork out on some emulator somewhere.)

  • VHS has almost zero viewership on twitch and hardly anyone streaming it. Cheat makers are just waiting for its release to bombard it.

    Evil dead is an EPIC exclusive, which has greatly hurt it, and it looks like it will become old, fast. Gameplay is just to wander around until you find survivors and then just spam crap until you max out.

  • @D3spair said:

    I just came back from playing Evil Dead the Game and VHS. The Devs of these games put out patches quick and they actually listen to players transparently.

    Evil Dead has a Bright future with a long Road Map ahead while VHS is still in BETA but the Devs cares enough to hold the game and build a fortress for cyber security and optimization while making balance changes frequently.

    I'm sorry but currently DBD feels lacking af and my motivation for playing DBD recently is just for the Bloodpoints and because I bought the Battlepass, Other than this, I find no motivation to play DBD.

    BHVR really has competition this time around. I know the past competitors but I really think Evil Dead and VHS are an actual Competitors that will steal Player Count.

    I agree that BHVR is extremely slow to make improvements to the game, fix bugs, etc and they often ignore community feedback. The problem is that they really don’t have any major competition in this genre. After about 6 months of decline, the player count is holding stable. There’s no urgency for BHVR to do anything differently than they have in the past because, at least for now, it’s still working for them.

  • I'm quite new to the forum, but this is already the umpteenth post I've come across that is repeating the same thing.

    I'm genuinely wondering why not just play all 3 games? Or just stop playing DBD for a while if so many things about it are bothering you.

    Is it a sunk cost fallacy issue with the amount of time investment that makes you come back to play it despite all that you've mentioned? Or perhaps naive hope that things might change in the way you want and not per se in the way the devs want?

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Funny. Whenever it comes to the point to say that DBD is losing players, some people mention Twitch-Viewers. But now they are not mentioned:

    DBD 25k

    Evil Dead 2300

    VHS 4300

    Strange....

    They are not really competition. Really, only because a game is asymmetrical does not mean that it will compete with DBD. Especially if you can actually fight back as Survivor on those games - Killers already complain about DS, how would they feel if the Survivors can actually fight back? Doubt they would like it.

    And last but not least, it is kinda naive to think that other games will not run into Balance Problems or Bugs or anything what gets critized on DBD.

    25k....


    25k..


    Twenty....


    five....


    Kay...


    Bruh ######### happened? Oh wait...take that back I already know the answer....sadly.

  • @Phantom_ said:

    I'm quite new to the forum, but this is already the umpteenth post I've come across that is repeating the same thing.

    I'm genuinely wondering why not just play all 3 games? Or just stop playing DBD for a while if so many things about it are bothering you.

    Is it a sunk cost fallacy issue with the amount of time investment that makes you come back to play it despite all that you've mentioned? Or perhaps naive hope that things might change in the way you want and not per se in the way the devs want?

    For a lot of our content creators before they left it was sunk cost fallacy. They would keep going and be miserable for the sake of regular viewership, until finally having that come to jesus moment where their audience let them know "We support you no matter what you play". First half of this year was full of that.

  • Just the fact that Evil Dead and VHS exist will be motivation for BHVR to improve. Competition is healthy because of this.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    Evil Dead and VHS are currently in only 1 platform allowing their devs to release patches more easily and faster.

    The next 3 major patches will include game-changing features and tweaks players asked for and rewards for the veterans who still play. I don't think they're doing wrong, this is the best news we got since years ago.

    Wait a min, Evil Dead is out on Xbox and PlayStation too, and they fixed almost all bugs on launch in 2 weeks while giving out balance changes straight out of Feedback while at it.

    If Saber Interactive can do this, why not BHVR which is obviously a bigger studio.

    Edit: On the reddit and discord for Evil Dead, we were surprised as we were expecting something like a month at least for the changes but they delivered in 2 weeks with Transparency as the Devs were responding per Ticket Feedback.

  • You also have to remember that DBD is an older game meaning it has more code and content that has to be checked and optimized as they release new content. It's much harder to integrate new content into 6 year old code. Imagine getting hired by BHVR and they tell you to write something that integrates into someone else's code that may or may not be written efficiently and you don't really know that person's thought process when they wrote it. I know they have a team to work on it, but it definitely isn't an easy thing to do, especially having to read through it and try to figure out what is wrong. VHS and Evil Dead are very new, meaning that their code isn't as large and probably fresher for the game developers to fix when a bug pops up.

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    Evil Dead and VHS are currently in only 1 platform allowing their devs to release patches more easily and faster.

    The next 3 major patches will include game-changing features and tweaks players asked for and rewards for the veterans who still play. I don't think they're doing wrong, this is the best news we got since years ago.

    Correct about VHS. Wrong about Evil Dead.

    Evil Dead is on PC, PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Xbox X/S, with Switch still coming down the pipe. And with full crossplay between all platforms.

  • @D3spair said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979663#Comment_2979663

    Wait a min, Evil Dead is out on Xbox and PlayStation too, and they fixed almost all bugs on launch in 2 weeks while giving out balance changes straight out of Feedback while at it.

    If Saber Interactive can do this, why not BHVR which is obviously a bigger studio.

    Edit: On the reddit and discord for Evil Dead, we were surprised as we were expecting something like a month at least for the changes but they delivered in 2 weeks with Transparency as the Devs were responding per Ticket Feedback.

    Now that is a blatant lie, unless you just haven't been playing the game.


    There most recent, and only update did basically nothing other than remove animations canceling.

    List of bugs I've encountered

    Survivor can't move if the demon possesses a car as soon as they enter.

    Fallen under the map on multiple occasions.

    Gotten stuck on rocks, sticks, and in-between trees

    Gun turns into my melee weapon and won't shoot

    Gun randomly just stops letting me shoot

    Can't interact with specific chests, items, or traps

    Demon gets stuck inside a house if forced out of possession

    Drinks and uses up multiple shemps but won't heal

    Projectile weapons randomly decide to go threw enemies without dealing damage.

    That's not to mention absolutely asinine design choices

    Completing an objective will exorcise a demon even if they're 500 yards away

    Completing an objective will heal bleeding out survivors and bring fully dead ones back to health regardless of distance

    Knee high obstacles are impassable

    Headshots hitbox don't line up with enemy models

    No option to changes sensitivity, fov, resolution, control mapping, motion blur, ect

    Aim assist is literally an aimbot on console. It follows enemies through wall and snaps onto them. 2 big problems: it's a horrible aimbot that lags behind moving enemies, so you're constantly fighting it. And the other issue is that it doesn't lock onto possessed teammates. Cant disable it btw

    Survivors can block off the necronomicon with broken cars, making it impossible to destroy

    Demons can drive over a dead survivor, break the car, and make it impossible to revive them

    Survivors can split objectives with 0 risk

    Survivors can abuse the ######### out of cars making it nearly impossible to catch up to, let alone kill survivors

    and that's just what I've had to deal with, I've seen plenty other examples of game breaking bugs and dog doodoo mechanics

    It is a fun game, absolutely, but it's a FarCry from a perfect or even decent game

  • I've played both games.

    Both are very fun as survivors/teens.

    I don't enjoy the demon role in ED. I find it very boring.

    I don't enjoy the monster roles in VHS. At high level (say, 70 and more) it's way too tiring and difficult. I could never play more than 3 games in a row.

  • @PerfectlyPink said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979875#Comment_2979875

    Now that is a blatant lie, unless you just haven't been playing the game.

    There most recent, and only update did basically nothing other than remove animations canceling.

    List of bugs I've encountered

    Survivor can't move if the demon possesses a car as soon as they enter.

    Fallen under the map on multiple occasions.

    Gotten stuck on rocks, sticks, and in-between trees

    Gun turns into my melee weapon and won't shoot

    Gun randomly just stops letting me shoot

    Can't interact with specific chests, items, or traps

    Demon gets stuck inside a house if forced out of possession

    Drinks and uses up multiple shemps but won't heal

    Projectile weapons randomly decide to go threw enemies without dealing damage.

    That's not to mention absolutely asinine design choices

    Completing an objective will exorcise a demon even if they're 500 yards away

    Completing an objective will heal bleeding out survivors and bring fully dead ones back to health regardless of distance

    Knee high obstacles are impassable

    Headshots hitbox don't line up with enemy models

    No option to changes sensitivity, fov, resolution, control mapping, motion blur, ect

    Aim assist is literally an aimbot on console. It follows enemies through wall and snaps onto them. 2 big problems: it's a horrible aimbot that lags behind moving enemies, so you're constantly fighting it. And the other issue is that it doesn't lock onto possessed teammates. Cant disable it btw

    Survivors can block off the necronomicon with broken cars, making it impossible to destroy

    Demons can drive over a dead survivor, break the car, and make it impossible to revive them

    Survivors can split objectives with 0 risk

    Survivors can abuse the ######### out of cars making it nearly impossible to catch up to, let alone kill survivors

    and that's just what I've had to deal with, I've seen plenty other examples of game breaking bugs and dog doodoo mechanics

    It is a fun game, absolutely, but it's a FarCry from a perfect or even decent game

    Wow, I believe you've got even more than I did (not that many mind you).

    Their game need serious improvements. The split-on-objective and win is absolutely ridiculous. (Reminds me of some other design issue in another game ...)

  • Having played Evil Dead since launch.

    I

    Have

    To

    Agree. 😳

    Well. Somewhat. I don’t think the number of people playing is really the issue for me. Not every game that comes out is going to be for everyone. The question is, is the game fun and does it solidify a community that gives the game longevity?

    Evil Dead the Game is SO different from DBD I couldn’t compare the two. However, when it comes to mechanics it surpasses any game I have seen, including Friday the 13th (which is what I would compare it to the most) it’s filled with moments with a lot of action and some jump scares and you can feel the tension between you and your opponent. DBD lacks a lot of elements which I feel would make it more interactive. Sitting on a gen holding M1 doesn’t have that same effect.

    Imagine if we were able to interact with the map more. Something I have been asking for since forever. Even when there were conversations regarding how to deal with infinite windows (back then) I gave my own idea:

    @Johnny_XMan said:

    Something that I think has been long talked about since the introduction of many maps, and that I personally believe could be balanced better, are strong windows, specifically on buildings like "The Foundry" in Ironworks of Misery or "Grim Pantry" in Backwater Swamp... etc etc

    Many have given their opinions, but from what I've gathered it's either been rework the entire structure by blocking the window or remove it altogether. Personally I am not a fan of either one.

    So I came up with this idea where, the window will now have the ability to be destroyed (not by the killer) but by the survivor! Basically the window will go through several "crumbling" phases where the more you vault it, the more it crumbles to the ground, until it is no longer a window and all that is left is a doorway.

    Here is a quick visual I made in PS for what I thought each phase could look like. Note that I only created 3 Phases, because currently the entity blocker happens at 3 vaults, but there could be more added depending on what would be considered "fair and balanced"...

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/827/3V3BB55BD2JC.png

    This way the window still remains strong, but also overusing it can make it deplete. It also causes the survivors to be more cautious as to whether they want to preserve it or use it right away. Thus creating more creative plays rather than just everyone being like "Let me go back to that window again". The idea behind "phases" is so that if another player goes to try to use it, they understand that the window has already been used and therefore will know how many times they could vault it.

    I also believe this could add other fun/creative perks for devs to create. All in all, I think this is a fair way to balance it without completely making it useless or overpowered.

    What do you guys think? Share your thoughts please.

    And what did we get? Breakable doors that made the map RNG for survivors super frustrating and an indirect side objective for killers because they would now have to break the door or else deal with the loop being too strong. That was the extent of the interaction.

    At this point I would say DBD does need to step up it’s game, not because they can’t let the competition “win” but because they have a lot of potential to make the game more interesting and fun.

  • @PerfectlyPink said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2979875#Comment_2979875

    Now that is a blatant lie, unless you just haven't been playing the game.

    There most recent, and only update did basically nothing other than remove animations canceling.

    List of bugs I've encountered

    Survivor can't move if the demon possesses a car as soon as they enter.

    Fallen under the map on multiple occasions.

    Gotten stuck on rocks, sticks, and in-between trees

    Gun turns into my melee weapon and won't shoot

    Gun randomly just stops letting me shoot

    Can't interact with specific chests, items, or traps

    Demon gets stuck inside a house if forced out of possession

    Drinks and uses up multiple shemps but won't heal

    Projectile weapons randomly decide to go threw enemies without dealing damage.

    That's not to mention absolutely asinine design choices

    Completing an objective will exorcise a demon even if they're 500 yards away

    Completing an objective will heal bleeding out survivors and bring fully dead ones back to health regardless of distance

    Knee high obstacles are impassable

    Headshots hitbox don't line up with enemy models

    No option to changes sensitivity, fov, resolution, control mapping, motion blur, ect

    Aim assist is literally an aimbot on console. It follows enemies through wall and snaps onto them. 2 big problems: it's a horrible aimbot that lags behind moving enemies, so you're constantly fighting it. And the other issue is that it doesn't lock onto possessed teammates. Cant disable it btw

    Survivors can block off the necronomicon with broken cars, making it impossible to destroy

    Demons can drive over a dead survivor, break the car, and make it impossible to revive them

    Survivors can split objectives with 0 risk

    Survivors can abuse the ######### out of cars making it nearly impossible to catch up to, let alone kill survivors

    and that's just what I've had to deal with, I've seen plenty other examples of game breaking bugs and dog doodoo mechanics

    It is a fun game, absolutely, but it's a FarCry from a perfect or even decent game

    So... it's Cyberpunk, lol

  • Almost, the only real difference is that Evil dead runs amazingly well on last gen. Il l give them credit, it's really impressive how good the game looks and runs