David BP/AC refund?

I liked playing David because I could relate to him as an athletic, straight, white male. I have invested millions upon millions of bps into David and probably bought an outfit or two. I can't exactly remember if I've spent Auric Cells on him because I have around 2k hours over the course of 2-3 years and have all survivors, killers, and many cosmetics. I haven't played in around 4-5 months or so but always left the game installed open to the possibility of playing again if the game was ever balanced.

Anyway, I did think it might be nice to see the new Haddonfield revamp and Legion rework. However, today I learned that David King's backstory has been retconned for no obvious reason. I'm not gay and can't relate to him. I'm not sure why the decision was made to retcon a character that people like myself can relate to and have invest tons of time and resources into but none the less I want all the BPs and potentially any ACs I have invested in him refunded so that I can funnel them into a character that I can relate to. Instead of creating a new character that the gay community can relate to, your company decided that my personal preference (not to mention in game time investment) is not as important as someone else's with a different preference.

So, can we get refunds to spend on characters we can relate to? Its very important to many people to have relatable characters in videogames, movies, books, music, ect. If that is going to be taken from one group of people and given to another, thats fine, but I want my investment back. I can only imagine how terrible the gay community would feel if BHVR created a gay survivor they could get behind only to turn around sometime later and announce that survivor to now all of a sudden be straight.

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • Is this a troll post?

  • @Pike said:

    I liked playing David because I could relate to him as an athletic, straight, white male. I have invested millions upon millions of bps into David and probably bought an outfit or two. I can't exactly remember if I've spent Auric Cells on him because I have around 2k hours over the course of 2-3 years and have all survivors, killers, and many cosmetics. I haven't played in around 4-5 months or so but always left the game installed open to the possibility of playing again if the game was ever balanced.

    Anyway, I did think it might be nice to see the new Haddonfield revamp and Legion rework. However, today I learned that David King's backstory has been retconned for no obvious reason. I'm not gay and can't relate to him. I'm not sure why the decision was made to retcon a character that people like myself can relate to and have invest tons of time and resources into but none the less I want all the BPs and potentially any ACs I have invested in him refunded so that I can funnel them into a character that I can relate to. Instead of creating a new character that the gay community can relate to, your company decided that my personal preference (not to mention in game time investment) is not as important as someone else's with a different preference.

    So, can we get refunds to spend on characters we can relate to? Its very important to many people to have relatable characters in videogames, movies, books, music, ect. If that is going to be taken from one group of people and given to another, thats fine, but I want my investment back. I can only imagine how terrible the gay community would feel if BHVR created a gay survivor they could get behind only to turn around sometime later and announce that survivor to now all of a sudden be straight.

    Poe's Law is the only law on the internet.

  • Why does a character being gay detract from everything else you mentioned about him

    He's still an alcoholic football hooligan who loves a scrap

  • Did a blackout hit the forums' brains?

  • Lol, but I do get you point. If I found out Leon was a comunist I would ask for a refund too.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    Is this a troll post?

    Considering the other posts today...no

  • It just boggles my mind that someone would actually write that seriously.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    Why does a character being gay detract from everything else you mentioned about him

    He's still an alcoholic football hooligan who loves a scrap

    Which is the aspects of him that I identify with. The gay thing...eh. I've never particularly cared about who my fictional avatar gets it on with - particularly in games where nobody is getting it on with anyone.

    He's never been one of my major survivors though, I generally run Yui (like...about half of all survivors, she's just so quiet), Ash (I'm an Evil Dead nut) and Lisa (that song will never leave my heart).

    That said...

    @HaunterofShadows said:

    Did a blackout hit the forums' brains?

    @BrokenSouI said:

    Oh Jesus..

    It's evidently a Poe.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    Is this a troll post?

    Why would it be a troll post? I relate more to Felix now and would like a refund on my time investment to put towards him.

  • @fernandosilveirasc said:

    Lol, but I do get you point. If I found out Leon was a comunist I would ask for a refund too.

    Why? I'd like some socialist representation here.

    Im sick of 10% of the population owning 90% of the wealth.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/320803/david-bp-ac-refund

    Hopefully you aren't tunneled, camped, or denied help by the intolerants' who would use that excuse to do so. They exist, obviously, evidenced by the Leatherface change. I avoid wearing the rainbow flags for the same reason. Sad too, as the rainbows look cool but it's just not worth the soft isms that come along with identifying ones self with a group.

    Maybe they will offer you a solution. Seems unlikely though.

    Well Im not going to play David anymore. I will switch to Felix I think. I'm a residential architect in real life so I can kind of relate to him.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924141#Comment_2924141

    Well Im not going to play David anymore. I will switch to Felix I think. I'm a residential architect in real life so I can kind of relate to him.

    Yeah you totally relate to the 2nd survivor people wish was gay.. or 3rd, I guess, Dwight exists after all.

    So what when he also gets revealed to like the d?

  • It's very important to have relatable characters in video games

    You clearly don't seem to understand the irony in this, compared to your OP.

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924152#Comment_2924152

    Yeah you totally relate to the 2nd survivor people wish was gay.. or 3rd, I guess, Dwight exists after all.

    So what when he also gets revealed to like the d?

    I don't really follow DBD fanfiction. It's not cannon.

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924152#Comment_2924152

    Yeah you totally relate to the 2nd survivor people wish was gay.. or 3rd, I guess, Dwight exists after all.

    So what when he also gets revealed to like the d?

    To be fair let's not forget about Yui and Nea who are both pretty high on the list too

  • How do you "relate" to something that was never there in the first place?

    Davey Boi ol Chap has always been the "WGLF Guy" who gets into scraps with his m8s, that's it

    Any assumptions you made are on you, buddy

  • @Marcavecunc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924152#Comment_2924152

    Yeah you totally relate to the 2nd survivor people wish was gay.. or 3rd, I guess, Dwight exists after all.

    So what when he also gets revealed to like the d?

    I'll attempted to find another character I can relate to and continue on down the list if I have to?

  • Id like to hope that this is some elaborate sh*post...... But who am I kidding there are some really bad people who have no place in this community

    Mods ban this person and lock this post

  • Why are so many people upset that I want to invest my time in a character I can better relate to now. I would never attack you all for whatever character you choose to play because of ANY reason you like them. You all don't seem to be very inclusive to me. Am I and my type not welcome here? Mods?

  • @TheArbiter said:

    Id like to hope that this is some elaborate sh*post...... But who am I kidding there are some really bad people who have no place in this community

    It's a Poe. The OP is trying to make a point by being ironic.

    I've seen better.

    @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924120#Comment_2924120

    Why would it be a troll post? I relate more to Felix now and would like a refund on my time investment to put towards him.

    Just...stahp.

    If you're going to Poe, you need to be a lot sneakier about it. If everyone's calling you ridiculous, the Poe failed. For a Poe to be successful, you need to say something silly and get people to agree with you. It's all in the phrasing.

  • @lauraa said:

    How do you "relate" to something that was never there in the first place?

    Davey Boi ol Chap has always been the "WGLF Guy" who gets into scraps with his m8s, that's it

    Any assumptions you made are on you, buddy

    Actually, in the lore he had a girlfriend. Soooo....brush up on your lore my good friend.

  • Your full investment of $0.00, sure you can have that back.

  • Alright so since I’m asexual I can’t relate to anyone that isn’t asexual. Yikes this has to be a troll post.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924161#Comment_2924161

    Actually, in the lore he had a girlfriend. Soooo....brush up on your lore my good friend.

    Me when I don't realise gay people are able to have girlfriends in the past.

    Because in lore it was always an ex. And the new lore clears up exactly why.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924161#Comment_2924161

    Actually, in the lore he had a girlfriend. Soooo....brush up on your lore my good friend.

    I had a girlfriend too when I was younger, does that mean I'm no longer gay?

  • @GannTM said:

    Alright so since I’m asexual I can’t relate to anyone that isn’t asexual. Yikes this has to be a troll post.

    Maybe the next survivor could be that for you? Make posts asking for it, maybe they will listen. If you ask me, new characters are much better than a retcon. Id rather see you get a new character than an existing one. But you may disagree with me and thats ok!

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924166#Comment_2924166

    It's a Poe. The OP is trying to make a point by being ironic.

    I've seen better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924143#Comment_2924143

    Just...stahp.

    If you're going to Poe, you need to be a lot sneakier about it. If everyone's calling you ridiculous, the Poe failed. For a Poe to be successful, you need to say something silly and get people to agree with you. It's all in the phrasing.

    I don't even know what a poe is except for those ghosts in the Legend of Zelda. Those little creepy bastards with the lanterns.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924177#Comment_2924177

    Me when I don't realise gay people are able to have girlfriends in the past.

    Because in lore it was always an ex. And the new lore clears up exactly why.

    Wait, so you think they sat on this the last 4 or 5 years and decided to finally make it official? 🤣

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924188#Comment_2924188

    Maybe the next survivor could be that for you? Make posts asking for it, maybe they will listen. If you ask me, new characters are much better than a retcon. Id rather see you get a new character than an existing one. But you may disagree with me and thats ok!

    It’s not retcon when there still can be more to the story to tell. Just because he had a girlfriend a while back doesn’t mean he can’t identify himself as gay later, especially since David is a young character. It’s taken me over 21 years to find out that I’m asexual. You know why? Because it takes some people longer than others to figure out more things about themselves. You ever consider that?

  • A bit off topic but it wasn't until I started playing DBD that I realized how many people choose characters to play by how much they can relate to them, not just here but games in general.

    It makes me wonder how many people are like me and only play characters based on cool factor or on a whim because they had a funny outfit or something else like that. Even in games where you can create your own character I normally go for a small girl if possible because I love the little-miss-badass trope and that certainly is not something I can relate to in the least.

    On topic, I don't think lore changes are good enough of an excuse to get a refund. The game is subject to change and that includes lore. Just as you can't get a refund for a perk or killer power that gets changed you almost certainly can't for lore either.

  • Fragile masculinity much?

  • @ohheyitsbobcat said:

    A bit off topic but it wasn't until I started playing DBD that I realized how many people choose characters to play by how much they can relate to them, not just here but games in general.

    It makes me wonder how many people are like me and only play characters based on cool factor or on a whim because they had a funny outfit or something else like that. Even in games where you can create your own character I normally go for a small girl if possible because I love the little-miss-badass trope and that certainly is not something I can relate to in the least.

    On topic, I don't think lore changes are good enough of an excuse to get a refund. The game is subject to change and that includes lore. Just as you can't get a refund for a perk or killer power that gets changed you almost certainly can't for lore either.

    Hi I'm one of those people too

    I play characters I think are cool/I like what licenses they came from or I like their personality. I don't project myself onto any particular character.

  • @GannTM said:

    Alright so since I’m asexual I can’t relate to anyone that isn’t asexual. Yikes this has to be a troll post.

    oh that's why.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924120#Comment_2924120

    Why would it be a troll post? I relate more to Felix now and would like a refund on my time investment to put towards him.

    Felix is gay too, my gay friend really relates to Felix as they look similar and have similar backgrounds. It's nobodies fault but your own that you, yourself decided David was straight.

  • @Pike said:

    I liked playing David because I could relate to him as an athletic, straight, white male. I have invested millions upon millions of bps into David and probably bought an outfit or two. I can't exactly remember if I've spent Auric Cells on him because I have around 2k hours over the course of 2-3 years and have all survivors, killers, and many cosmetics. I haven't played in around 4-5 months or so but always left the game installed open to the possibility of playing again if the game was ever balanced.

    Anyway, I did think it might be nice to see the new Haddonfield revamp and Legion rework. However, today I learned that David King's backstory has been retconned for no obvious reason. I'm not gay and can't relate to him. I'm not sure why the decision was made to retcon a character that people like myself can relate to and have invest tons of time and resources into but none the less I want all the BPs and potentially any ACs I have invested in him refunded so that I can funnel them into a character that I can relate to. Instead of creating a new character that the gay community can relate to, your company decided that my personal preference (not to mention in game time investment) is not as important as someone else's with a different preference.

    So, can we get refunds to spend on characters we can relate to? Its very important to many people to have relatable characters in videogames, movies, books, music, ect. If that is going to be taken from one group of people and given to another, thats fine, but I want my investment back. I can only imagine how terrible the gay community would feel if BHVR created a gay survivor they could get behind only to turn around sometime later and announce that survivor to now all of a sudden be straight.

    this has to be a shitpost.

    I'm sure nobody would fail to realize that if people can only emotionally invest with characters with the same sexuality than DBD would have a much less queer community.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924153#Comment_2924153

    I'll attempted to find another character I can relate to and continue on down the list if I have to?

    A New Jeff main appears!

  • The enormous smoothbrainery of this post aside... you're asking for refunds on a free character??

    But sure. While we're here, I guess I need to stop playing every male character because I can't relate to them as a woman and therefore attempting to temporarily use them as my avatar would make my fragile femininity explode. I'm too white to play Wraith and Hag. Plague and Artist aren't American so I need to drop them too. Pig is an ex drug addict and I just can't relate to her struggles. Come to think of it, I've never murdered anyone nor been sent into a hell dimension where I had to routinely flee supernaturally charged serial killers for my life, so I should just quit DBD at this point. Pity, but until I learn how to repair a generator IRL, I just don't see how this could work.

    You sound like a poorly wrought caricature of those asking for representation, as if people are not allowed to use their imagination, ignore things they don't care for, cannot possibly relate to anything that they don't 100% identify with even if 95% of it clicks, and also as if people are violently allergic to anything they haven't personally experienced. So for your own sake, I hope you're trolling.

  • Why would anyone mock this opinion?

    Someone said, "I want an LGBTQ+ character I can relate to."

    Similarly, someone feels "deprived of a character I can relate to."

    It is exactly the same thing.

    There is no diversity in this community if you just assume that it is "troll" or "racist" and try to silence it.

  • @Uotsumi said:

    Why would anyone mock this opinion?

    Someone said, "I want an LGBTQ+ character I can relate to."

    Similarly, someone feels "deprived of a character I can relate to."

    It is exactly the same thing.

    There is no diversity in this community if you just assume that it is "troll" or "racist" and try to silence it.

    I see what you tried to do there, except nobody has ever said "I cannot use any of these characters because I don't relate to them, and I cannot play DBD until a LGBT+ character is added." Because it's generally not that difficult to play a video game character even you don't relate to them at all.

    So no. Not at all. And even if you did have a point, it's not like there isn't a smorgasbord of other characters who are presumably straight to glom onto if someone is genuinely that unable to deal with a gay character and needs a new main because the idea of David being gay freaks them out. You want another manly man? Jeff. A ladies' man? Ace. Dude off a cover magazine? Felix.

    Characters getting major reworks or nerfs are far, far better reasons to refund characters than lore additions, and that's never been on the table. This is a ridiculous ask. I'd be willing to bet that the wide majority of the players complaining about gay David did not care about DBD's lore before now.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924120#Comment_2924120

    Why would it be a troll post? I relate more to Felix now and would like a refund on my time investment to put towards him.

    So you could first relate to an alcoholic football hooligan and now you relate to an urbane metrosexual architect? This complaint seems rooted in prejudice.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924177#Comment_2924177

    Me when I don't realise gay people are able to have girlfriends in the past.

    Because in lore it was always an ex. And the new lore clears up exactly why.

    Yesss! Exactly! <3

    I don't care either way, but it's ridiculous how some people can think a gay person can't have an ex of the opposite gender because society totally didn't push them towards the "normality" of things.

  • @Uotsumi said:

    Why would anyone mock this opinion?

    Someone said, "I want an LGBTQ+ character I can relate to."

    Similarly, someone feels "deprived of a character I can relate to."

    It is exactly the same thing.

    There is no diversity in this community if you just assume that it is "troll" or "racist" and try to silence it.

    You are exactly right. Looks like the mods here just allow the attacks to happen as well. I have said nothing bad towards anyone and I just continue to get tons of HATE. This community is hands down the WORST community in gaming. FAR worse than LoL. The worst part is BHVR is complicit with the toxic environment. Unfortunately, its allowed for some people to be attacked.

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924143#Comment_2924143

    So you could first relate to an alcoholic football hooligan and now you relate to an urbane metrosexual architect? This complaint seems rooted in prejudice.

    You obviously missed the post where I mentioned I'm a residential architect. YOUR post seems rooted in prejudice.

  • @Pike said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924250#Comment_2924250

    You are exactly right. Looks like the mods here just allow the attacks to happen as well. I have said nothing bad towards anyone and I just continue to get tons of HATE. This community is hands down the WORST community in gaming. FAR worse than LoL. The worst part is BHVR is complicit with the toxic environment. Unfortunately, its allowed for some people to be attacked.

    You made a topic about getting a refund for David being gay, and wonder why you get tons of hate? Are you for real, gurl?

  • @Pike said:

    I liked playing David because I could relate to him as an athletic, straight, white male. I have invested millions upon millions of bps into David and probably bought an outfit or two. I can't exactly remember if I've spent Auric Cells on him because I have around 2k hours over the course of 2-3 years and have all survivors, killers, and many cosmetics. I haven't played in around 4-5 months or so but always left the game installed open to the possibility of playing again if the game was ever balanced.

    Anyway, I did think it might be nice to see the new Haddonfield revamp and Legion rework. However, today I learned that David King's backstory has been retconned for no obvious reason. I'm not gay and can't relate to him. I'm not sure why the decision was made to retcon a character that people like myself can relate to and have invest tons of time and resources into but none the less I want all the BPs and potentially any ACs I have invested in him refunded so that I can funnel them into a character that I can relate to. Instead of creating a new character that the gay community can relate to, your company decided that my personal preference (not to mention in game time investment) is not as important as someone else's with a different preference.

    So, can we get refunds to spend on characters we can relate to? Its very important to many people to have relatable characters in videogames, movies, books, music, ect. If that is going to be taken from one group of people and given to another, thats fine, but I want my investment back. I can only imagine how terrible the gay community would feel if BHVR created a gay survivor they could get behind only to turn around sometime later and announce that survivor to now all of a sudden be straight.

    As someone who’s part of the LGBTQ community, I would not care if a gay character was made straight. He’s still gonna die

  • We will not be refunding anything in relation to the characters in the game as per the EULA. We do state there that we may change things within the game.

    Representation is important to us, as it is to many people here on this forum and worldwide - we're proud and happy to have brought this representation to our game. I am sure that many people will be interested in David's lore and will be happy to play as him, but we also have plenty of other characters in our game also.