How are more people not talking about the awful console optimization?

Let's get it out of the way; all console players are at a massive disadvantage to PC players, and that's coming from a PC player with 1.5k hours on PC and 800 hours on console.

Last gen consoles barely manage to hit a consistent 30fps on most maps, and constantly drop whenever any in-game event happens (unhook, down, blight fatigue, etc), and all consoles suffer from the maps being ridiculously dark and a lack of a gamma slider.


In my opinion if BHVR are unable to make the game playable on consoles and crossplay is in the game, there should be some kind of disclaimer on the store page stating the poor framerate on last gen consoles. For example instead of "Optimized for PS5" or whatever the hell, it should say "Dogshit for PS4"

Comments

  • @Pulsar

    This one is for you.

  • I don't know why they're still selling the game for PS4 when the experience on that platform is abhorrent. At the very least they ought to take the game out of the store, preventing more people from buying this game on older platforms, until they get their ducks in a row regarding optimization. I know I'd be livid if I owned a PS4, bought DBD, started the game and run into the myriad of problems documented here on the forum in other threads. At this point, the game should only be available for purchase on the most recent consoles, otherwise they are basically receiving a defective product.

  • Devs don't care enough to do it. It's like they just take the money and run. So many games release now that are unplayable on certain platforms, it's the norm and there is less financial incentive to support old gen consoles.

  • We shouldn't hold games back for last gen. I went out and got a PS5 because Rust was awful on ps4. If your staying on console you have to go next Gen. That's the truth. Out with the old in with new.

  • Console optimization is @Pulsar domain

  • I'm guessing it is what my prediction was but we're seeing it live now instead of me saying it.

    BHVRs plan was always to just run out the clock. Maybe they legit wanted to do the optimization but couldn't or maybe they never actually planned to but it seems clear they won't do it now. They'll just let the discussion die down as more and more of their player base either quits or gets the next gen consoles.

  • @Nickeleye said:

    We shouldn't hold games back for last gen. I went out and got a PS5 because Rust was awful on ps4. If your staying on console you have to go next Gen. That's the truth. Out with the old in with new.

    The game is much better on PS4 than it is on Switch, and Switch is the newer release. Switch is also a current gen console.

    DbD runs pretty well on PS4 from an external SSD. The GPU can handle DbD just fine. It's the CPU that struggles because of DbD's spaghetti code. Newer consoles can brute force it, but with the code not being optimized more powerful machines can struggle, too. We've seen it happening.

  • Bad News for everybody:

    the fireworks of a generator completed during the Lunar Event make the game stutter on PS5

    As Caesar would say: "the die is cast"

  • I take it you haven’t Pulsar’s The continued ignorance of performance issues continues to hamper player fun yet

  • @Nickeleye said:

    We shouldn't hold games back for last gen. I went out and got a PS5 because Rust was awful on ps4. If your staying on console you have to go next Gen. That's the truth. Out with the old in with new.

    Its not even just last gen consoles. Low to mid range PCs that have been playing the game for years suffer a lot of performance issues as well due to the horrible optimization. Stutter when "events" happen (especially hits, or power/hex procs) is still something that happens on many machines even while running a consistent framerate. Well, as consistent as it can be with this game on most machines to begin with.

    If you're continually upgrading a game, its crucial that you maintain support for machines that have been playing it since its early days. Forced Obsolescence is extremely customer unfriendly, and the only reason anyone gets away with it is because they hide their right to it in service agreements that people skim through and just accept.

    That said, I can completely understand and sympathize how it can be hard to not push the needle upward while continuously updating a game over years. Most games do this by actually having decent resource management options (i.e. advanced graphics settings, "toaster mode", etc) but the bottom line is that reducing resource footprints is the most universal solution. Unfortunately it actually takes effort instead of just saying "good enough" when something works.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795202#Comment_2795202

    Next gen consoles are very out of stock. PC is a much more expensive route and you will lose all of your progress too.

    And it's a multiplayer game, they shouldn't cut off support for a bunch of platforms because the game needs more players than it does better graphics or more complex coding.

    I feel your pain. I was in the exact same spot 8 months ago. But its not just DBD. A lot of new games feel like trash on the last gens. I felt like I was wasting my $ buying new games. I just dont see companies spending money and time to optimize old systems.

  • Just get a next gen, last gen wont be supported forever.

  • @Pulsar 's thread about it is probably one of the most viewed threads on the forum

    Been a while since we heard anything about it though you're right.


    @SomberNokk said:

    Just get a next gen, last gen wont be supported forever.

    Buying a next gen (techincally current gen?) console is a mistake, there's barely any games to justify the purchase

  • @Brokenbones said:

    @Pulsar 's thread about it is probably one of the most viewed threads on the forum

    Been a while since we heard anything about it though you're right.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795251#Comment_2795251

    Buying a next gen console is a mistake, there's barely any games to justify the purchase

    Im very happy with my next gen purchase cause it means I can play DBD at over 60 fps. A Series X is always justified.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795254#Comment_2795254

    Im very happy with my next gen purchase cause it means I can play DBD at over 60 fps. A Series X is always justified.

    If you're happy with it that's all that matters

    i just think with the prices they charge and the lack of games it's probably better to get a PC at this point but that's a difference of opinion. It'll likely be a very long time before last gen consoles stop being supported, hopefully!

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795257#Comment_2795257

    If you're happy with it that's all that matters

    i just think with the prices they charge and the lack of games it's probably better to get a PC at this point but that's a difference of opinion. It'll likely be a very long time before last gen consoles stop being supported, hopefully!

    I wanted a PC originally but at the time it was the height of the chip shortages and couldnt get a 1660 super at an affordable cost.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795264#Comment_2795264

    I wanted a PC originally but at the time it was the height of the chip shortages and couldnt get a 1660 super at an affordable cost.

    I'm in a similar boat, can't upgrade my GPU without losing an arm for it

    Such is life :(

  • because you can just upgrade to the newest Gen Console

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795257#Comment_2795257

    If you're happy with it that's all that matters

    i just think with the prices they charge and the lack of games it's probably better to get a PC at this point but that's a difference of opinion. It'll likely be a very long time before last gen consoles stop being supported, hopefully!

    I have a gaming PC. Unfortunately, there's no cross-progression. The whole reason I got the game on Switch is because cross-progression was promised.

    At Devotion 21 on PS4, if they ever stop supporting the PS4 without PC cross-progression available for it, I'll have a #### fit. I'm not starting over.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795264#Comment_2795264

    I have a gaming PC. Unfortunately, there's no cross-progression. The whole reason I got the game on Switch is because cross-progression was promised.

    At Devotion 21 on PS4, if they ever stop supporting the PS4 without PC cross-progression available for it, I'll have a #### fit. I'm not starting over.

    I think we'll have full cross progression before they stop officially supporting the ps4 etc versions

    The technology to do it is there, BHVR accounts and such

  • @Nobsyde said:

    Bad News for everybody:

    the fireworks of a generator completed during the Lunar Event make the game stutter on PS5

    As Caesar would say: "the die is cast"

    I do not experience this on PS5 at all

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795286#Comment_2795286

    I think we'll have full cross progression before they stop officially supporting the ps4 etc versions

    The technology to do it is there, BHVR accounts and such

    I currently play on XB1 and would love to transfer my progress to my PS5. I’m not giving up hope.

  • @Nickeleye said:

    We shouldn't hold games back for last gen. I went out and got a PS5 because Rust was awful on ps4. If your staying on console you have to go next Gen. That's the truth. Out with the old in with new.

    They're barely available and much too costly if ya can even find one. And without Cross Progression moving to a PC is out, and even more costly. We're neatly boxed in.

  • maybe you have a PS5 Blessed Edition™, I dunno.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    Bad News for everybody:

    the fireworks of a generator completed during the Lunar Event make the game stutter on PS5

    As Caesar would say: "the die is cast"

    I keep seeing people on ps5 mention random performance issues they're having with DBD. When I finally get a ps5 I won't bother installing DBD - it's bad enough there's performance issues in a 6 year old game on ps4, I'm not about to deal with that on a new ps5.

  • It is on the newer side (got it in September) so I don't know if that might make a difference.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795227#Comment_2795227

    I keep seeing people on ps5 mention random performance issues they're having with DBD. When I finally get a ps5 I won't bother installing DBD - it's bad enough there's performance issues in a 6 year old game on ps4, I'm not about to deal with that on a new ps5.

    I wouldn’t blame you tbh, I’ve never seen other games suffer on console as much as DBD.

  • @ShyPirate said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795481#Comment_2795481

    It is on the newer side (got it in September) so I don't know if that might make a difference.

    btw to be clear you need to be close to the generator to trigger the stuttering. I noticed it with both killer and survivor.

    It's just for a couple of seconds, but definitely noticeable. I will try to remember to make a clip the next time it happens.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795487#Comment_2795487

    I wouldn’t blame you tbh, I’ve never seen other games suffer on console as much as DBD.

    That's the thing, if I had performance issues with other games I'd be like "OK fine" but I'm not having performance issues in other games that have way more going on. I really think BHVR should start working on a DBD 2 where they can start fresh with their coding instead of just piling onto old coding.

  • @GeneralV said:

    @Pulsar

    This one is for you.

    I thought things were put in motion to have you take over the development of DBD?

    What is your plan to aid us poor consolers, in particular our long suffering Switch cousins?

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    I'm guessing it is what my prediction was but we're seeing it live now instead of me saying it.

    BHVRs plan was always to just run out the clock. Maybe they legit wanted to do the optimization but couldn't or maybe they never actually planned to but it seems clear they won't do it now. They'll just let the discussion die down as more and more of their player base either quits or gets the next gen consoles.

    The most recent qna they provided an answer on this.

    I'll boil it down as this isn't a direct quote, basically the roadmap for console optimizations was clearly too optimistic. Basically, in order to achieve 60 fps on lower end hardware/last gen consoles cpu and gpu frame times need to be below 16 milliseconds. Good news is on the gpu side that is already done. The efforts over the last year (2021) have dropped the cpu frame times from 27 milliseconds to 22 milliseconds.

    This is essentially verbatim from the QnA stream at this link

    https://youtu.be/wIocxDbQ-9g?t=1596

  • @th3 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795216#Comment_2795216

    The most recent qna they provided an answer on this.

    I'll boil it down as this isn't a direct quote, basically the roadmap for console optimizations was clearly too optimistic. Basically, in order to achieve 60 fps on lower end hardware/last gen consoles cpu and gpu frame times need to be below 16 milliseconds. Good news is on the gpu side that is already done. The efforts over the last year (2021) have dropped the cpu frame times from 27 milliseconds to 22 milliseconds.

    This is essentially verbatim from the QnA stream at this link

    https://youtu.be/wIocxDbQ-9g?t=1596

    They first announced this two (three now?) years ago

    They can talk all they want but until there is an actual, concrete patch being downloaded to our consoles and everyone gets a chance to run it and see that it isn't a lie, they're gonna have to forgive me if I Press X to Doubt on these claims.

    I am of the mind that BHVR was overly optimistic rather than flat out lying to people but the end result is the same no matter which way it was. Last gen is getting left in the dust and I personally do not believe it will be something that they will actually fix.

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795531#Comment_2795531

    They first announced this two (three now?) years ago

    They can talk all they want but until there is an actual, concrete patch being downloaded to our consoles and everyone gets a chance to run it and see that it isn't a lie, they're gonna have to forgive me if I Press X to Doubt on these claims.

    I am of the mind that BHVR was overly optimistic rather than flat out lying to people but the end result is the same no matter which way it was. Last gen is getting left in the dust and I personally do not believe it will be something that they will actually fix.

    They want people to upgrade.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795184#Comment_2795184

    I thought things were put in motion to have you take over the development of DBD?

    What is your plan to aid us poor consolers, in particular our long suffering Switch cousins?

    Pulsar would take that mission.

    No one else is better suited for such a task.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    Just get a next gen, last gen wont be supported forever.

    You're missing my point. The game is unplayable on last gen, and as such shouldn't be sold on last-gen.

  • I don't care about them "fixing" last-gen, I understand that games shouldn't be held back for old consoles. It's like if open world games were sized down so they could be ran on GTX 950s. My point is that consoles are supposed to be a seemless experience. Plug and play, and don't worry about any issues.

  • Its not just console, the optimization is horrible on PC as well and it seems like they've given up on fixing it. The FPS improves with some patches and degrades with some, the previous hotfix introduced so many fps drops. The game needs a break from content to figure itself out

  • I'm not sure the devs can actually fix it. Honestly I think console was always just a cash grab and that the only reason the game runs so well on current gen is because those consoles are strong enough to brute force their way past DBD's problems. The devs didn't do anything special to it and just got saved by the consoles' upgraded hardware. As long as people continue to blindly ignore the issues and play DBD on last gen consoles and buy cosmetics/DLC for it, it'll stay in its current state. Even then, the devs can just go tell people to buy a current gen console even though they still aren't easy to get ahold of. Also I think for a game to stop being sold completely, it would need to be in a worse state than last gen DBD. Think launch Cyberpunk 2077 but worse.

    I've also been wondering if the poor state of last gen consoles is part of the reason that we don't have last gen console cross-progression. So many people would switch to PC (unless they get lucky and secure a current gen console) and turn last gen consoles into a barren wasteland.

  • I have tried my best :(

  • @GeneralV said:

    @Pulsar

    This one is for you.

    @ThatOneDemoPlayer said:

    Console optimization is @Pulsar domain

    @Brokenbones said:

    @Pulsar 's thread about it is probably one of the most viewed threads on the forum

    Been a while since we heard anything about it though you're right.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795251#Comment_2795251

    Buying a next gen console is a mistake, there's barely any games to justify the purchase

    I am the Console Crusader.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    Just get a next gen, last gen wont be supported forever.

    You shouldn't need to spend 800 USD to play a 6 year old game that looks worse than PS3 games.

  • I hope you're not a solo survivor on last gen. That'd suck.

    Last gen buyers of the game should be entitled to a refund. Easier said than done though as you could use the same copy on current gen so it won't ever happen.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795487#Comment_2795487

    I wouldn’t blame you tbh, I’ve never seen other games suffer on console as much as DBD.

    I have rust,pubg and ark tend to run awfully on consoles

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2795487#Comment_2795487

    I wouldn’t blame you tbh, I’ve never seen other games suffer on console as much as DBD.

    Jurassic World Evolution 2 actually hits 0 FPS even on the PS5 version.

  • Hm. I can play fine on my base PS4 slim - the stutters and so when stuff happens i also have on PC.

    It is not that horrible as stated here. And the brightness is normal on my TV - maybe your monitors are calibrated too dark.