Why's the Cannibal being punished for the players' actions?

I don't get this.

It's the first time (I believe) where an in-game item/feature was removed simply because the players were using it in a bad manner. And instead of punishing the said players, BHVR decided to remove an important (and rewarding) part of a core feature that was solely meant for Bubba.

Faces.png

If only people realized that all the masks are actually darker than the original Bubba mask, this wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Claudette just happens to be at the end of the color spectrum (not far from Jake's). THAT should not be a reason for removing a feature that has been there since his release.

Comments

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    As has been pointed out a number of times.

    No-one is accusing the character of LF of racism, but rather removing a tool that racist players are abusing to harass POC streamers.

    Leatherface isn't being punished, nor are the masks an "important" feature - they're purely cosmetic. I'm sure the fictional character of The Cannibal won't care as much as you're making it out he will.

    It's punishing the players who use the cosmetics without being racist. It really is an insult. This doesn't fix anything and is just cowardly.

  • Oh no! Not the recolour cosmetics. However will Leatherface players cope?

  • This is annoying as hell because the Smartface/Pretty Woman suit cosmetic combination is one of the nicest in the game. I use it all the time, it's fresh as fukk man! Check it out. How can you get rid of that and sleep at night??

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7cZGYxCpY

  • Screw everyone who used them for racism and screw BHVR for making this extremely awful decision.

  • It a core personality and lore trait of the character, punish the specific players if there is evidence of the bad behavior.

  • If I remember correctly, the faces were free to start with. They would become unlockable after killing 25× of the respective survivor. So, 25 Dwight deaths = Dwight mask. During the time where there weren't many survivors, this was a very simple task. A free cosmetic for a simple task.

    Now the masks are being removed, compensation of shards is being made. This is literally the very definition of "money for nothing".

    The reason for the removal was because of the weaponisation of the masks, not the actual masks themselves. Besides this, BHVR have not removed a purchase that has been made; they are removing a freebie and giving shards in return.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    Oh no! Not the recolour cosmetics. However will Leatherface players cope?

    First is "How" but anyway, that's a falacy, you're trying to ridiculize someone's argument and twisting it, the point is not that and you know it. The point is they're not dealing with the problem the right way and they're using a cheap solution.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    As has been pointed out a number of times.

    No-one is accusing the character of LF of racism, but rather removing a tool that racist players are abusing to harass POC streamers.

    Leatherface isn't being punished, nor are the masks an "important" feature - they're purely cosmetic. I'm sure the fictional character of The Cannibal won't care as much as you're making it out he will.

    I feel punished for wasting so much time earning them, I wish I never bothered with that struggle. If I had known there was no point, obviously would have. I have no idea where anyone reasonable thinks removing earned cosmetics is vaguely the right approach. They could have just changed them all to be white or whatever if they wanted to "combat" racism. Lul.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730667#Comment_2730667

    Changed them all to be white to combat racism? 🤔 The intentional exclusion of POC does not sound like a wise route to tackle racism.

    Well, not to a normal person. But you know, if we are just trying to appease people, you already know the truth. It would work...

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    As has been pointed out a number of times.

    No-one is accusing the character of LF of racism, but rather removing a tool that racist players are abusing to harass POC streamers.

    Leatherface isn't being punished, nor are the masks an "important" feature - they're purely cosmetic. I'm sure the fictional character of The Cannibal won't care as much as you're making it out he will.

    Maybe the character isn't being punished, but the community as a whole is.

    But how does remving said tool address anything? It does not change one's behavior. It won't make anything better. Plus, that is the character's backstory and lore. He kills people and wears their skin. So actually, his backstory and lore is being nullified by this action.

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    If I remember correctly, the faces were free to start with. They would become unlockable after killing 25× of the respective survivor. So, 25 Dwight deaths = Dwight mask. During the time where there weren't many survivors, this was a very simple task. A free cosmetic for a simple task.

    Now the masks are being removed, compensation of shards is being made. This is literally the very definition of "money for nothing".

    The reason for the removal was because of the weaponisation of the masks, not the actual masks themselves. Besides this, BHVR have not removed a purchase that has been made; they are removing a freebie and giving shards in return.

    It would've been better for BHVR to develop and implement a better reporting system that actually helps to target these specific players' actions. Instead BHVR chose to take the easy way out and remove a neutral tool that was being used improperly by a very small percentage of people.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730689#Comment_2730689

    No it wouldn't. How on Earth does excluding POC solve racism?

    Good question, I suppose we could ask Behavior given the removal of POC masks is basically precisely what they are doing here. Unless they are removing base Leatherface too. Maybe give him a sack instead. A nice little redesign with no skin.

  • @Veinslay said:

    This is annoying as hell because the Smartface/Pretty Woman suit cosmetic combination is one of the nicest in the game. I use it all the time, it's fresh as fukk man! Check it out. How can you get rid of that and sleep at night??

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7cZGYxCpY

    quite easily

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730696#Comment_2730696

    Good question, I suppose we could ask Behavior given the removal of POC masks is basically precisely what they are doing here. Unless they are removing base Leatherface too. Maybe give him a sack instead. A nice little redesign with no skin.

    theyre removing all of the masks so no, please, just stop

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730706#Comment_2730706

    theyre removing all of the masks so no, please, just stop

    They are removing his default face? Well, then I stand corrected. Bravo, Behavior. I commend their consistency.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730717#Comment_2730717

    They are removing his default face? Well, then I stand corrected. Bravo, Behavior. I commend their consistency.

    oh for ######### sake how can you be this purposefully obtuse it's a common recolour that takes away a tool for racists to be racist, you'll live without it.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730724#Comment_2730724

    oh for ######### sake how can you be this purposefully obtuse it's a common recolour that takes away a tool for racists to be racist, you'll live without it.

    Yes, I will, I only earned them for collection sake and do not wear them. But I am not a fan of having my earned content stripped because some racist loser shakes their head at Claudette players.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730695#Comment_2730695

    Myself and others have explained our stances in a few threads now, you can look at my reasoning there if you want. I won't be reiterating the same points again and again.

    All that I've read is that it serves as removal of a tool being "weaponized." Which is a weak argument and reasoning, regardless of how it is framed or constructed. It doesn't actually do anything.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730727#Comment_2730727

    Yes, I will, I only earned them for collection sake and do not wear them. But I am not a fan of having my earned content stripped because some racist loser shakes their head at Claudette players.

    that's great, you're being compensated, and you'll live. don't be so ######### selfish

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730735#Comment_2730735

    that's great, you're being compensated, and you'll live. don't be so ######### selfish

    It's not selfish to see that BHVR is actually not going to change anything. Maybe BHVR shouldn't delete the cosmetics, but instead implement a better reporting system to actual punish the right people?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730735#Comment_2730735

    that's great, you're being compensated, and you'll live. don't be so ######### selfish

    I can be selfish if I want. I already said I would live, so you can stop acting like a broken record now. I am entitled to my frustration, please leave me alone if you have nothing to contribute.

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730739#Comment_2730739

    It's not selfish to see that BHVR is actually not going to change anything. Maybe BHVR shouldn't delete the cosmetics, but instead implement a better reporting system to actual punish the right people?

    why not both

    take away a tool of the harassment to help stop it happening and then beef moderation to ban the rest

    you can be greatful for a change and recognise there's more to be done

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730749#Comment_2730749

    why not both

    take away a tool of the harassment to help stop it happening and then beef moderation to ban the rest

    you can be greatful for a change and recognise there's more to be done

    Because taking away a neutral tool does absolutely nothing. BHVR will never beef up moderation because....BHVR.

    I would be grateful* if BHVR realized they shouldn't punish an entire community for a small percentage of players actions.

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730759#Comment_2730759

    Because taking away a neutral tool does absolutely nothing. BHVR will never beef up moderation because....BHVR.

    I would be grateful* if BHVR realized they shouldn't punish an entire community for a small percentage of players actions.

    taking it away absolutely does something, it forced them to be much clearer when there's racist intentions. if youre just being facecamped + hit on hook, you can put it down to a lot of different factors without some extra push towards showing it's meant to be racist. and now they've removed the most subtle ones, the more obvious ones can be reported and dealt with accordingly, featuring a better moderation system at some point within the next decade.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730767#Comment_2730767

    taking it away absolutely does something, it forced them to be much clearer when there's racist intentions. if youre just being facecamped + hit on hook, you can put it down to a lot of different factors without some extra push towards showing it's meant to be racist. and now they've removed the most subtle ones, the more obvious ones can be reported and dealt with accordingly, featuring a better moderation system at some point within the next decade.

    They can still be subtle with their racism by targeting those players, with or without the cosmetics? These people will always find ways around things/adapt unfortunately, so I respectfully disagree that it does anything.

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730640#Comment_2730640

    It would've been better for BHVR to develop and implement a better reporting system that actually helps to target these specific players' actions. Instead BHVR chose to take the easy way out and remove a neutral tool that was being used improperly by a very small percentage of people.

    With the sheer volume of people making false reports because they feel bitter over the smallest of things, dealing with a multitude of investigative cases with only a finite number of employees to deal with the case load, making a report system that would work as you say would be impossible.

    Also, keeping something in that some braindead racist decides to weaponise would mean that the problem would never be sold.

    Even if the perfect system existed to do what you think, and the amount of people they could employ was infinite, by keeping the tool in place means the reports would be the equivalent of putting a plaster on a broken leg. It's not lazy, but it is efficient. And efficiency is the way to go.

    For the record, I feel it's a shame the masks have gone. But instead of aiming frustration at people trying to combat hate crimes, aim it at those who pricks who caused this to happen.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    6k shards? That's barely enough for a Dwight sock. How about some more for those of us that got all the faces?

    It doesn't even need to be that much. 1k per mask would round us out for a nice 10k. One new killer. Woah, what game breaking compensation for removing an earned cosmetic.

  • Why the hell can't I keep my Meg mask? I really like that one. What did Meg's mask ever do to anyone?

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730802#Comment_2730802

    It doesn't even need to be that much. 1k per mask would round us out for a nice 10k. One new killer. Woah, what game breaking compensation for removing an earned cosmetic.

    now i must be missing something because 1000*4=4000, which is substantially less than 10,000.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    Why the hell can't I keep my Meg mask? I really like that one. What did Meg's mask ever do to anyone?

    Imo that one was the best one. I really liked how it looked like he had lipstick on. It was underrated.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730825#Comment_2730825

    now i must be missing something because 1000*4=4000, which is substantially less than 10,000.

    On top of the 6k they are giving to all Leatherface owners. The masks, as of now, are irrelevant for compensation. Every Leatherface owner will be getting 6k regardless of whether you earned the masks or not.

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2729978#Comment_2729978

    Maybe the character isn't being punished, but the community as a whole is.

    But how does remving said tool address anything? It does not change one's behavior. It won't make anything better. Plus, that is the character's backstory and lore. He kills people and wears their skin. So actually, his backstory and lore is being nullified by this action.

    Exactly I have been harrassed by players because I played Claudette......she still will be my little chameleon girl......POWER TO THE VANISHERS!

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730749#Comment_2730749

    why not both

    take away a tool of the harassment to help stop it happening and then beef moderation to ban the rest

    you can be greatful for a change and recognise there's more to be done

    Exactly beef up the moderation but take away the cosmetic. Yes it is core to Bubbas story but really it was done in poor taste with the state of the world is in now and when Bubba came out.....

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730705#Comment_2730705

    With the sheer volume of people making false reports because they feel bitter over the smallest of things, dealing with a multitude of investigative cases with only a finite number of employees to deal with the case load, making a report system that would work as you say would be impossible.

    Also, keeping something in that some braindead racist decides to weaponise would mean that the problem would never be sold.

    Even if the perfect system existed to do what you think, and the amount of people they could employ was infinite, by keeping the tool in place means the reports would be the equivalent of putting a plaster on a broken leg. It's not lazy, but it is efficient. And efficiency is the way to go.

    For the record, I feel it's a shame the masks have gone. But instead of aiming frustration at people trying to combat hate crimes, aim it at those who pricks who caused this to happen.

    I can see some of your points, but I still disagree the removal of the cosmetics is efficient (or effective for that matter). My ire is aimed at both admittedly. Of course I'm upset with the a-hole trolls/racists, but I am also upset with BHVR for taking an action that punishes the entire community in an effort to mitigate the actions of a few. It just doesn't seem logical to me is all, but that's just my take. I realize it ultimately matters not since they are making/made the change.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730759#Comment_2730759

    Exactly beef up the moderation but take away the cosmetic. Yes it is core to Bubbas story but really it was done in poor taste with the state of the world is in now and when Bubba came out.....

    Sorry but it wasn't like Bubba was some racist, he killed everybody. It's what he does. Including the faces of all the survivors for him to unlock makes sense. I am confused why you brought up the state of the world?

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730824#Comment_2730824

    I can see some of your points, but I still disagree the removal of the cosmetics is efficient (or effective for that matter). My ire is aimed at both admittedly. Of course I'm upset with the a-hole trolls/racists, but I am also upset with BHVR for taking an action that punishes the entire community in an effort to mitigate the actions of a few. It just doesn't seem logical to me is all, but that's just my take. I realize it ultimately matters not since they are making/made the change.

    I think that term "effective" is what still worries me. Not at you, but there is something I feel we can both agree on is the effectiveness against racism.

    Whilst removing the masks may remove a tool, it doesn't suddenly make that player magically go "Oh my goodness, I was wrong after all! I must repent!", and whilst that moron won't be using the mask as an excuse for bigotry, it doesn't stop them from using abusive terms in-chat.

    Maybe, if it is stamped out, then they may reinstall them because, as I've maintained, the masks themselves are not racist. Maybe we, as a community, need to do something about it as well.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730735#Comment_2730735

    that's great, you're being compensated, and you'll live. don't be so ######### selfish

    Wanting to keep what you've both paid for in DLC terms and earned through gameplay is "selfish."

    What twisted logic you employ. It's no wonder you so fervently defend censorship in the name of a perverse ideology.

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730705#Comment_2730705

    With the sheer volume of people making false reports because they feel bitter over the smallest of things, dealing with a multitude of investigative cases with only a finite number of employees to deal with the case load, making a report system that would work as you say would be impossible.

    Also, keeping something in that some braindead racist decides to weaponise would mean that the problem would never be sold.

    Even if the perfect system existed to do what you think, and the amount of people they could employ was infinite, by keeping the tool in place means the reports would be the equivalent of putting a plaster on a broken leg. It's not lazy, but it is efficient. And efficiency is the way to go.

    For the record, I feel it's a shame the masks have gone. But instead of aiming frustration at people trying to combat hate crimes, aim it at those who pricks who caused this to happen.

    LMAO hate crimes? Are you serious??

  • @Visi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730739#Comment_2730739

    Wanting to keep what you've both paid for in DLC terms and earned through gameplay is "selfish."

    What twisted logic you employ. It's no wonder you so fervently defend censorship in the name of a perverse ideology.

    ah yes, deleting a cosmetic being used to racially harass people of colour is "censorship". makes perfect sense.

    Wanting to keep what you've both paid for in DLC terms and earned through gameplay is "selfish."

    live service game, you didn't buy the masks, eula, the usual

  • Yup! This is the definition of a hate crime, according to the police:

    Screenshot_20220104-214755_Chrome.jpg

    This refers to anyone who clearly states something for racial intent. For example: If I teabag a Smart Face Bubba and be a general arse in game, but say nothing afterwards, then that's obviously not a hate crime. However, if I do the same, and then insult the person afterwards because they had a black face and slur them because of it, that is a hate crime.

  • Dumb action as always. Just to "look good".

    If someone wants to harass you they find other ways. Now that said... there are too much crystal people this days. This a game... and a very casual one, its not like Rust where you can really get harassed.

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730941#Comment_2730941

    Yup! This is the definition of a hate crime, according to the police:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/AE5PB2SLH90L/screenshot-20220104-214755-chrome.jpg

    This refers to anyone who clearly states something for racial intent. For example: If I teabag a Smart Face Bubba and be a general arse in game, but say nothing afterwards, then that's obviously not a hate crime. However, if I do the same, and then insult the person afterwards because they had a black face and slur them because of it, that is a hate crime.

    And how many people got tunneled by a smartface and nothing was said afterwords? How many claudettes got tunneled and assumed it was racist?

    If nothing was said then you cant assume racist intent. Just equipping the cosmetic isnt racist.

    If racist comments were made in post game chat, why are those players not banned because of said comments? Regardless of cosmetics worn?

    If i tunnel claudette as doctor or hag am i still racist for playing a black character as a white man? Am i abusive of women if i use Trickster to target female characters?

    I can't stand Jane's voice does that mean i hate latino people?

    Where does the line get crossed? How far can i go before im unintentionally bigoted for playing a game?

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730980#Comment_2730980

    And how many people got tunneled by a smartface and nothing was said afterwords? How many claudettes got tunneled and assumed it was racist?

    If nothing was said then you cant assume racist intent. Just equipping the cosmetic isnt racist.

    If racist comments were made in post game chat, why are those players not banned because of said comments? Regardless of cosmetics worn?

    If i tunnel claudette as doctor or hag am i still racist for playing a black character as a white man? Am i abusive of women if i use Trickster to target female characters?

    I can't stand Jane's voice does that mean i hate latino people?

    Where does the line get crossed? How far can i go before im unintentionally bigoted for playing a game?

    I don't know what on Earth you're on about. If nothing is said, then it's not racist. If a Smart Face Bubba tunnels a survivor, that is not racist. In fact the very damn post you are quoting CLEARLY states there has to be clear intent of racism, which the very examples you gave are agreeing EXACTLY with my examples at the end!

    Please read the post properly before commenting!

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2731096#Comment_2731096

    I don't know what on Earth you're on about. If nothing is said, then it's not racist. If a Smart Face Bubba tunnels a survivor, that is not racist. In fact the very damn post you are quoting CLEARLY states there has to be clear intent of racism, which the very examples you gave are agreeing EXACTLY with my examples at the end!

    Please read the post properly before commenting!

    The post you quoted and your reply made it seem like you were saying something else. I didnt go back to see what you said that got quoted from the person you quoted. My apologies. Though I stand by what i said

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2731112#Comment_2731112

    The post you quoted and your reply made it seem like you were saying something else. I didnt go back to see what you said that got quoted from the person you quoted. My apologies. Though I stand by what i said

    Apology accepted, and for what it's worth what you were saying about things such as where does the line get drawn, I do agree with. For example, just because Bubba wears Smart Face doesn't mean that player is racist. Nor is it racist to BM Smart Face (it's a jerk move). It's only when clear intent is shown that is can be deemed racist, and by "clear" I mean actually saying something of that offensive nature.

    So we are both agreeing in that respect. And I greatly respect you acknowledged the misinterpretation. Takes a person of good character to admit an error. Props👍

  • @Ghastly247 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2730869#Comment_2730869

    Sorry but it wasn't like Bubba was some racist, he killed everybody. It's what he does. Including the faces of all the survivors for him to unlock makes sense. I am confused why you brought up the state of the world?

    I never said Bubba was but BHVR should of thought things through when they did that because of the state of the world.

  • This is just stupid.

  • Set aside the political merits surrounding the decision for a second. BHVR set a very anti-consumer precedent. They've gone down the rabbit hole of establishing that they will outright remove content from a paid package. I do not care if you agree with them or not. One person's sensible reaction is another person's lunacy. BHVR displayed a lot of disregard for the general playerbase.

    So what's the next step in the saga? Every time there's a twitter mob, paid skins get deleted from the game or modified? I wouldn't recommend purchasing

  • I think it would have been more fair to remove them and make some new mask as an unlockable. Just one. Make it one from one of the movies or something. It doesn't sit right with me that you lose the only free non-default/bloody cosmetics you can get, and what you get in return is shards that you can't use to buy the only other masks he has. You have to pay money. That is the only aspect that bothers me.

‹ 1 2 3