Could the teased spider killer be the replacement for demogorgon?
So in one of the tome IX cutscenes we can clearly see a new spider-like creature as a killer. We can see its appearance and one interesting thing is that it opens its mouth just like the demogorgon does, and even moves pretty fast in some pounce-like fashion.
But if I'm not mistaken this would be the first time BHVR shows that much of a killer before release (other than blight I think). So, instead of a whole new killer chapter with new power and stuff, wouldn't it just be the killer that will replace the demo after the license is over? So, new players would have to buy that one instead, while players who had demo would keep it as a legendary skin

Comments
Maybe it's crypt TV's Ms. Amity?
that'd be cool, but I don't know.
I don't think demo's getting a cosmetic stand-in, unfortunately.
Well the devs said that whoever bought any character from the DLCs would keep them, so demo has to stay in the game somehow, and I doubt they would just remove it completely for new players, so replacing it with another killer with the same power seems like the way to go. Also, it wouldn't be the first time a legendary outfit is from a license, so players who have the Demo would probably keep it as a skin if I had to guess.
Don't know about Mss Annity though
I'd say demo's probably staying, since they said owners could still keep him.
(shrug)
I doubt they will replace Demogorgon. There is more seasons of Stranger Things to come out, it just got pushed back because of Covid. I imagine they will renew the license when they can. We will get a new map, and they will unlock the characters already in the game.
Netflix is trying to get their own Gaming service and all, that’s the most likely reason why they didn’t renew the license for DbD.
so it’s very unlikely they will renew the license anytime in the near future.
Do you mean Stranger Things: 1984? Yes. Netflix already has games it's apart of the Netflix App, and there is already a Stranger Things game on it. Doesn't mean BHVR can't get the licensing for Stranger Things as well. They both can have games for Stranger Things at the same time. There are a lot of reasons why BHVR lost the licensing for Stranger Things, but I doubt "because Netflix wanted to make their own game" was the reason. When Netflix could do that anytime even with BHVR paying for licensing.
You'll probably never know the real reason as BHVR doesn't speak publicly about their standings with licensing.
While it's true that we'll likely never know for sure the exact reason, the one Mooks mentioned does seem to be the most plausible.
I doubt BHVR broke the deal off. Why would they? They clearly have no issue paying for every other license to remain in the game, so its unlikely to be a monetary issue.
It’s not about a single game though, that already existed before. Actually I think there were already 2 or 3 Stranger Things games.
it’s about a new gaming Service or platform Netflix is trying to establish. And Stranger Things content in another game could be viewed as a direct competitor since it’s one of the biggest franchises for Netflix.
It's like Resident Evil. Dead by Daylight having a Killer featured in the game for a specific franchise is strictly only advertising that the license owner is being paid for. Which the owner of the Stranger Things license is Netflix. They are pretty smart, and I highly doubt they would look at Dead by Daylight being competition over free advertising, like it is for every other license that Dead by Daylight pays for.
If I am putting my money on any reason why BHVR didn't renew the license was because the chapter wasn't making enough money. Demogorgon was never a very strong killer, and personally I haven't seen them played much. Either the characters. Up until they started to talk about how the product was leaving the store. It was all a money making idea on something that wasn't bringing in a lot of money. When Stranger Things is popular again on Netflix, we'll see the License come back on Dead by Daylight.
I've always wanted a spoopy spider killer (spawn baby spiders! Stealth in web! Drop onto people doing gens! Yes please) but I doubt it'll replace Demo.
Demo is gone for good. BHVR have been quite unambiguously clear on this one.
Wow, BHVR making something sound critical for more profit. That never happened before. cough voice lines cough.
Last chance to get the characters - until they are brought back to the store.
I don’t see that. Steve and Nancy were imo among the more popular characters..
also Resident Evil only got added after their attempt at an 4v1 asymmetric game failed.
but sure i could be wrong about this. I would gladly take another map for Stranger Things and other characters , eg Robin. We will see what the future holds but for now I will assume ST is gone for good.
To be fair, they did lie about the one or other thing in the past…
and it wouldn’t be a malicious lie if they actually don’t currently know or intent to make a renewal of the ST license in the future.
Short answer? No.
They've never shown a character's face in the archives and release them as a character later. Even Blight, we didn't actually see BLIGHT'S face, we saw Talbot's right before he became Blight. I guess there could be a first time for everything, but unlikely.
It didn't fail it was a cash grab like all Resident Evil add-on games and one of their most successful. Don't compare apples to orchards.
I still find it funny when people use Resistance as "failing" as an argument in favor of DBD, had that game gone stand alone - Dead by Daylight would have been struggling. But this isn't the market that triple A companies make most of their money.
Don't say "lying" they never said that it will never come back. They said this is your last chance to buy it - at this moment.
Just like they advertised Pinhead's voicelines everywhere, and then took them out in just the ptb as "they were beta build, and not final" and "We didn't include them in the dlc description". They also never said that the voice lines will never come back, so buy the DLC - because they "could" come back.
BHVR doesn't lie, or break the law. However they will mislead you to make more money - like any smart company would.
This seems really complicated and unnecessary.
Those who own Demo, Steve and Nancy will still be able to play as them. Those that don't own them won't be able to play as them, but will see these characters in their trials if another player has them.
I feel like it would be pretty stupid for Bhvr to say "don't worry, if you already own them then you can keep using them!" but then make it so everyone else sees your Steve, Nancy or Demo as an entirely different character?
I mean, I could be wrong.. but I think Bhvr would have been upfront about this if that were the case.
Also Demo is a pretty cool killer but not so amazing or integral to the game that Bhvr needs to spend time designing a killer that plays the same but looks different.
I think it was more meant for new players to be able to play a killer with the same mechanics as Demo.
since Steve and Nancy as survivors are only skins anyway it doesnt matter that much that only those that purchased them before have access to them.
but Killers are unique in DbD and new players will miss out on Demos power..
I thinks that it's more likely that it's an old killer, the entity has no use for anymore. Like how trapper was a survivor and how alot of survivors lost there use and where thrown away.
Trapper was a survivor? I only know about Blight being confirmed in lore to have been a survivor..
I guess it's possible but I can't really see Bhvr putting all that work into it. And I just don't think it's necessary. There are 20+ killers. It would be one thing if Demo was literally the best killer in the game.
Also, if you think about it, Demo's power actually being gone from the game for new buyers just encourages people to really think about whether they want to risk losing out on any of the other licensed characters.
Thats not what I meant with the post. I was saying that, considering the license is about to go off, they could make the demogorgon into the spider killer shown in the tome so new players can still get the demo's powers through "another" killer, but those who got the demogorgon would still keep it in the form of a legendary skin for the spider replacement.
Basically turning the demo into a spider but keeping the demo as a skin
Thing is, with Resident Evil, you already had RE3 to play against Nemesis and Resident Evil: Resistance to play as Nemesis.
While in this case, Netflix doesnt really have a game where you can play as Demogorgon. Dead By Daylight was that game. So it makes sense that Netflix would want to advertise their new game as THE game where you can play as Demogorgon to Stranger Things fans.
After that hype dies down, there is no reason for Netflix to not renew the old license. Untill then.
As for the chapter not making enough money? You'd be joking. They would do pretty much anything if it means keeping their roster. Demogorgon basically has a cult following. Plenty of money earned from the license. If any license wasnt making them enough money anymore, from a weak killer, it would be Myers(let alone that Myers would now only cost them more money, since Haddonfield still needs a visual update, but they need to go by the license holder to come to an agreement).
BHVR earns about 3 times the amount companies of their size earn on average. So unless they pay their devs 130k per year, they have plenty of income to keep the netflix deal.
Demo is not gone for good. People who bought the DLC will keep the survivors and killer. We will just not have the Lab *Loud screaming of joy and happiness fills the air* anymore.....thank goodness now to get rid of the RPD map then I'll be happy.
Yes, I mean 'it will no longer be available for purchase' :)
Ahhhhhh ok I misunderstood....but my point still stands with RPD that map can go to hell and stay there.
RPD is an awful, awful map. It takes a lot to make me miss Badham and Haddonfield, but RPD manages sometimes.
It's just such a misery to play against survivors that know what they are doing. So many safe vaults that allow you to completely drop chase on demand.
Not to mention it's a maze to get around and pallets that killers HAVE to break to continue the chase. I love it because it's a RE map in DbD but when it's the size of Red Forest but with maze like corridors like the Lab makes only a select few killers have a chance....ie Mobility or Stealth killers.
The pallets are only a part of the problem.
The big problem right now, and one that not enough people are talking about is how many pseudo-infinites have crept back into the game. The basement house on Haddonfield (the one with the U shaped staircase and 2 windows), the 'barge' on Swamp, the double window bush house on Badham and several potential spots on RPD - particularly the office and the 'prison room'.
Survivors who know about these will just run directly there and you may as well give up unless you're playing Nemesis or something.
Sadly all the maps now have infinities not as many as before the rework but the maps still have them, like on the Coldwind map with the heavy machines are semi Infinite if the killer doesn't know the secret to them
Yeah, the hooks in his arms and legs tell his story. He kept denying the entity till the pain became to much. There are alot of killers and survivors that we will never see in game, tho I'd like a spider killer. Arachne.
Demo is not going anywhere
That’s not confirmation that he used to be a survivor though. I always saw it the way that he was meant to be a killer but didn’t want to kill for the Entity and that’s why he got tortured. From his backstory/tome it really doesn’t seem like be was survivor material at all.
Demo heard yall talking #########
No they wouldn't say that. They used to be more transparent in the past but then people took them for their word and now they get mad at them when it doesn't happen. They stopped doing that long ago to save themselves from any backlash.
"They are pretty smart, and I highly doubt they would look at Dead by Daylight being competition over free advertising, like it is for every other license that Dead by Daylight pays for."
I can very much believe that they would see DBD as competition, especially if they decide they want to make a game similar to it in the future. Which is very much in the realm of possibility since they've got Stranger Things.
I hope not. A spider Killer could be extremely unique and cool but making it a Demo rip-off would be disappointing (like most stuff in dbd)