I’m genuinely disgusted at BHVR supporting NFTs

https://twitter.com/deadbybhvr/status/1450160150753562624?s=21

They straight up misled into believing they weren’t a part of this, absolutely abhorrent and unethical behaviour.

SOMEONE needs to pay for this. Whoever approved this needs sacked, I’m genuinely sickened. Shocker that they announce this the same day as the collab with for honour, almost like they’re trying to hide this!!

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • Yea, I was very confused by the NFT gripe as well. When I just signed up on this forum, I'm seeing more RIP and "I quit Playing" posts instead of actual content. I don't completely understand why it is bad in the first place.

  • @Dex4650 said:

    Yea, I was very confused by the NFT gripe as well. When I just signed up on this forum, I'm seeing more RIP and "I quit Playing" posts instead of actual content. I don't completely understand why it is bad in the first place.

    Probably people are scared of what they don't understand. Then a little bit of misunderstanding mixed with some panic caused a mass hysteria.

  • @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570837#Comment_2570837

    The only thing offending me right now is your ability to defend such a disgusting move.

    It's best to just ignore them. It is absolutely disgusting what BHVR did and it shouldn't be defended.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570770#Comment_2570770

    What you described here is the whole panic. Being scared, coming up with irrational fears, all this based on half facts.

    Oh, I'm not 'afraid' that Steam will ban DBD. I am actively hoping it will.

    Because that is the only thing that BHVR -might- listen to.


    @Dex4650 said:

    Yea, I was very confused by the NFT gripe as well. When I just signed up on this forum, I'm seeing more RIP and "I quit Playing" posts instead of actual content. I don't completely understand why it is bad in the first place.

    BHVR stated that they wouldn't get involved with NFTs. Now they're involved with NFTs.

    NFTs are a pyramid scheme that is causing enormous environmental damage.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570840#Comment_2570840

    It's best to just ignore them. It is absolutely disgusting what BHVR did and it shouldn't be defended.

    There is NO excuse for this

  • @FreshCoal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/287864/what-is-this-nft-panic-chill-out

    I don't know much about why people buy NFT's, and you cannot state that "steam wont ban dbd herp derp", steam can essentially ban whoever the ######### they want, and steam is know for spending millions of dollars on lawsuits for petty reasons, so I have no doubt that they won't hesitate to nuke DBD from the launcher if they want to make an example out of them.

    Not to mention that BHVR just lied to everyone's faces when by saying they weren't going to be associated with NFT's not even 1 week ago, and then tried to secretly slide in this little "announcement" right before one of the best gameplay patches of all time. That was no accident.

    Your also forgetting that they heavily implied that Pinhead is going to get custom skins that you can only get from 200+ dollar lootboxes from a 3rd party website? What the ######### is up with that?!

    If you aren't pissed of about this situation then I doubt you believe in anything at all, especially consumer protections, because this decision could ONLY be made by a greedy, giant corporation that BHVR has become over the last 5 years.

    It was pure luck that DBD got as popular as it is now, maybe the game will have to die for them to realize that. If VHS hits their gameplay out of the park, then BHVR is going to be in some hot water.

    I’m sorry but VHS won’t take DBDs crowd because it’s not horror. If it had some horror theme or element then maybe but I think it’ll gather it’s own crowd rather than take DBDs

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570840#Comment_2570840

    I am not defending anyone just trying to chill down this mass hysteria.

    And I am offended that you are offended because of this.

    People have the rights to be upset.

    In a way, buying Hellraiser DLC make us part of the Nft deal Bhvr have set up with their 3rd party.

    If it doesnt bother you, fine. But dont say people have to calm down. They wont.

  • @Billy_Capră said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570817#Comment_2570817

    Exactly. That's why I mentioned conspiracy theories. There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions right now, and because of that many people in the community are grabbing for torches and pitchforks without thinking.

    Agreed. It's a complicated situation, and while folks have every right to be disappointed and upset about it (I know I'm disappointed, so I get it.) there's also a lot of things that we really just don't know the extent of, and that getting ready to slam DBD on Twitter doesn't really answer. (Which, mostly fall on the major corporate side of BHVR, and is probably partially covered by NDAs.)

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570820#Comment_2570820

    So basically you are offended, because your assumptions were not correct. You can be offended if you want, but on the other hand saying that they were lying is also a lie.

    Your comments continue to prove my point

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570840#Comment_2570840

    It's best to just ignore them. It is absolutely disgusting what BHVR did and it shouldn't be defended.

    Yeah, live in your own bubble, don't even try to get other opinions on this.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570851#Comment_2570851

    Yeah, live in your own bubble, don't even try to get other opinions on this.

    Dude, you are DEFENDING NFTs, don't pretend you're not because you are, why are you defending something that is really harmful to our environment? Don't twist it into us singling out your "opinion", just admit it was a ######### move and move on.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570788#Comment_2570788

    Oh, I'm not 'afraid' that Steam will ban DBD. I am actively hoping it will.

    Because that is the only thing that BHVR -might- listen to.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570845#Comment_2570845

    BHVR stated that they wouldn't get involved with NFTs. Now they're involved with NFTs.

    NFTs are a pyramid scheme that is causing enormous environmental damage.

    Where did they say they are not involved?

    NFT is a pyramid scheme? So you don't understand NFT or pyramid scheme...

    And because of people like you we have this mass hysteria here.

  • @Jago said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570844#Comment_2570844

    People have the rights to be upset.

    In a way, buying Hellraiser DLC make us part of the Nft deal Bhvr have set up with their 3rd party.

    If it doesnt bother you, fine. But dont say people have to calm down. They wont.

    It didn't make you part of it.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570853#Comment_2570853

    Where did they say they are not involved?

    NFT is a pyramid scheme? So you don't understand NFT or pyramid scheme...

    And because of people like you we have this mass hysteria here.

    And because of people like you we have this mass hysteria here.

    Yeah I'm done listening to your troll ass responses, ciao.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570853#Comment_2570853

    Where did they say they are not involved?

    NFT is a pyramid scheme? So you don't understand NFT or pyramid scheme...

    And because of people like you we have this mass hysteria here.

    How are NFTs not a pyramid scheme?

  • But it feels like it does. I didn't buy the chapter because I wasn't interested into playing Pinhead, but if I changed my mind, I wouldn't buy because of the NFT.

    I'll feel showing support if I buy this particular chapter.

  • @Elena said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570874#Comment_2570874

    And because of people like you we have this mass hysteria here.

    Yeah I'm done listening to your troll ass responses, ciao.

    You are not inclusive and don't respect other people's opinion, just because they are different.

    Whoever disagrees with you is a troll ass. Thanks.

  • @unluckycombo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2568729#Comment_2568729

    I wouldn't say it's a 180. They just stated in their tweet that the things in-game you can recieve from the NFT and game codes and all that is something they gave the license holder as part of the contract agreement. They also stated there aren't any in-game bonuses for NFTs. They never fully stated they were for or against them, nor do we know the entire scope of the licensing agreement.

    Not saying it isn't crappy that BHVR agreed to these terms in the first place, but I just wouldn't call this a 180 either.

    They did lie. First, they said they handed out models and keys like they do for all licences and that was that for their involvement. Now, they're saying they actively collaborated on the NFT assets for months and they're endorsing the project.

    As lie is a lie is a lie.

  • Here:

    A pyramid scheme is a business model that recruits members via a promise of payments or services for enrolling others into the scheme, rather than supplying investments or sale of products. As recruiting multiplies, recruiting becomes quickly impossible, and most members are unable to profit; as such, pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal.
    A non-fungible token (NFT) is a unique and non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a digital ledger (blockchain).[1] NFTs can be used to represent easily-reproducible items such as photos, videos, audio, and other types of digital files as unique items (analogous to a certificate of authenticity), and use blockchain technology to establish a verified and public proof of ownership.


  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570876#Comment_2570876

    You are not inclusive and don't respect other people's opinion, just because they are different.

    Whoever disagrees with you is a troll ass. Thanks.

    I wouldn't bother honestly. This whole thing is separating people even more.

  • OP, so you're telling everybody to not get up in arms over the fact, the developers have come out in support of NFTs after implying they have nothing to do with it. that they only "provide them with in-game models as well as Chapter keys. They are free to use these however they see fit as the rightful owners of these characters." to just a few days later saying "Behaviour worked with Boss Protocol over several months to adapt in-game models for use as NFTs and approved them prior to the release of Pinhead in DbD." isn't deception?

    There is clear a clear mismatch in the message of both these statements which everybody agrees was to intentionally mislead the community. to go from "we give them the models as the owners" to "we made special models specifically for NFTs" is clearly deceitful.

    And if that wasn't enough. Do you really think it's ok to support a company that promotes and supports the use of NFTs? which run on blockchains that consume more power than Denmark and contribute to global warming more than New Zealand? Along with the fact, endorsing NFTs, endorses crypto which is used is some of the shadiest business practises online, from insider trading to sex trafficking. Nobody in there right mind should support this more. And to try defend it is abhorrent.

  • @SlothGirly said:

    OP, so you're telling everybody to not get up in arms over the fact, the developers have come out in support of NFTs after implying they have nothing to do with it. that they only "provide them with in-game models as well as Chapter keys. They are free to use these however they see fit as the rightful owners of these characters." to just a few days later saying "Behaviour worked with Boss Protocol over several months to adapt in-game models for use as NFTs and approved them prior to the release of Pinhead in DbD." isn't deception?

    There is clear a clear mismatch in the message of both these statements which everybody agrees was to intentionally mislead the community. to go from "we give them the models as the owners" to "we made special models specifically for NFTs" is clearly deceitful.

    And if that wasn't enough. Do you really think it's ok to support a company that promotes and supports the use of NFTs? which run on blockchains that consume more power than Denmark and contribute to global warming more than New Zealand? Along with the fact, endorsing NFTs, endorses crypto which is used is some of the shadiest business practises online, from insider trading to sex trafficking. Nobody in there right mind should support this more. And to try defend it is abhorrent.

    A lie will remain a lie.

    And even thou they did not tell us exactly that they used that vagueness to their benefit in oder to mislead their community. Clear communication is very important when it comes to community management and should not be underestimated. This is either a slack or they wanted it to be this way. All future messages from BHVR will be doubt and rightfully so.

    I do however think that you are putting the blame on crypto here just to bandwagon when it comes to illegal activities. Would you condemn the $ or the € just because they are also used as payment methods for this kind of illegal activity? Crypto at least is just a token for payment nothing more and nothing less, a tool if you will.

    There are stronger arguments to be made about this. Money laundering is not one.

  • Yes. And you are part of it too.

    They made the deals and have setup contracts with Nft options.

    You buy it = You support it.

    Thats why people are upset. Because they are involved into a situation they were not aware of.

  • @Tr1nity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2569946#Comment_2569946

    I don't think anyone in the community is supporting them, this is 11 pages of hate about it. Also, please don't make it Killers vs. Survivors, or else it will end with a pig and decisive strike nerf and not a fixed game.

    I think Sluzzy means supporting as in giving them money, BHVR releases a licensed character and people buy it blindly not even checking how buggy, poorly designed or reiterative the characters are, the last licensed characters have been anything but harmful to the overall health of the game Pyramid Head had to be changed 2 times, Nemesis is Pyramid Head 2.0 and brought AI controlled npcs and Pinhead came out with NFTs under the arm (plus for some reason licensed maps are usually awful gameplay-wise). People can complain on the forums all they want but if they still buy the licenses they are going to achieve nothing at all.

    In my opinion after this, nobody should ever buy another licensed character again, people should vote with their wallets.

  • @Gwinty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570893#Comment_2570893

    A lie will remain a lie.

    And even thou they did not tell us exactly that they used that vagueness to their benefit in oder to mislead their community. Clear communication is very important when it comes to community management and should not be underestimated. This is either a slack or they wanted it to be this way. All future messages from BHVR will be doubt and rightfully so.

    I do however think that you are putting the blame on crypto here just to bandwagon when it comes to illegal activities. Would you condemn the $ or the € just because they are also used as payment methods for this kind of illegal activity? Crypto at least is just a token for payment nothing more and nothing less, a tool if you will.

    There are stronger arguments to be made about this. Money laundering is not one.

    NFTs are uphold on the same blockchains as crypto, and they are powered and processed by the same computers. They are directly linked, and so NFTs are quite literally killing the planet. A single transaction of an NFT with Ethereum consumes enough energy to power an average US household for two and a half days. To say NFTs aren't part of that same problem as bitcoin is just a bit of misunderstanding.

  • So...

    In a pyramid scheme, the value of your investment is based on how many other people buy into the same scam.

    And for NFTs, the value of your NFT is dependent on other people buying into the same scam.

    I think that's the same issue.

  • @Jago said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570875#Comment_2570875

    Yes. And you are part of it too.

    They made the deals and have setup contracts with Nft options.

    You buy it = You support it.

    Thats why people are upset. Because they are involved into a situation they were not aware of.

    I didn't buy any NFT. Just because I have Pinhead DLC, I don't support NFTs based on Pinhead.

    With your reasoning I think you would be surprised how many NFT's you "supported" or will in the future.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570900#Comment_2570900

    I didn't buy any NFT. Just because I have Pinhead DLC, I don't support NFTs based on Pinhead.

    With your reasoning I think you would be surprised how many NFT's you "supported" or will in the future.

    You get the idea. The DLC you've bought is part of a deal involving Nft's. I think thats what people are feeling right now.

  • Even if they weren't bad for the environment, NFTs have become a go-to hotbed for money laundering. Crime syndicates all over the world use this market to clean the money gained from all sorts of crimes against humanity like the drug trade, sex/human trafficking, murder, etc. BHVR partnering with an NFT company at all (and then lying about it) was a horrible decision. Getting Pinhead in the game was NOT worth supporting this market.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570889#Comment_2570889

    So...

    In a pyramid scheme, the value of your investment is based on how many other people buy into the same scam.

    And for NFTs, the value of your NFT is dependent on other people buying into the same scam.

    I think that's the same issue.

    What you say is incorrect...

    The value of your NFT is based on demand just like most things in the world. If nobody wants to buy your NFT it is worth 0. With your reasoning e.g. buildings, land, gold, paintings, oil is all a pyramid scheme.

  • I mean, I don’t see anyone panicking. I do see people expressing their feelings about the company to their favorite game being associated with another company selling NFTs, and outright supporting it.

    People have a right to voice their opinions/concerns. Especially if this is signaling a path to what it is OK with BHVR vs what is not.

    I remember when I was one of the people who said this whole thing sounded like a scam and telling people to stop panicking, yet here we are. 🤷‍♂️ I for one would have never bought pinhead’s dlc had I known that this is what was going on behind the scenes.

  • @SlothGirly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570898#Comment_2570898

    NFTs are uphold on the same blockchains as crypto, and they are powered and processed by the same computers. They are directly linked, and so NFTs are quite literally killing the planet. A single transaction of an NFT with Ethereum consumes enough energy to power an average US household for two and a half days. To say NFTs aren't part of that same problem as bitcoin is just a bit of misunderstanding.

    Maybe you missed my point. We agree about the enviromental issues, I only disagree about the illegal acivities. You should go for the stronger argument that are not that easy to debunk. Maybe you could add art theft as an issue to this or that NFTs are not even offering the benefits of, say, Bitcoin where the token ist striktly limited.

    They are like traveling for fun on fossile fuel, by plane or by car...just a "fun" thing that produces pollution. Because even if you use green energy for them that energy could be used elsewhere.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570900#Comment_2570900

    I didn't buy any NFT. Just because I have Pinhead DLC, I don't support NFTs based on Pinhead.

    With your reasoning I think you would be surprised how many NFT's you "supported" or will in the future.

    you didnt buy an NFT, but you bought a product which will go to supporting a company that deals in NFTs. Had anybody known this prior, I guarantee almost nobody would have bought him. Because nobody wants to help a company that deals with NFTs. If other companies have done so, they've done so discretely, so of course people would buy their products when we dont know they deal in NFTs. There's a difference between supporting something willingly and unwillingly. Had I know my money would go to supporting them, I would never have Pinhead. And sure "it doesn't matter in game" that doesnt make it morally right.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    I mean, I don’t see anyone panicking. I do see people expressing their feelings about the company to their favorite game being associated with another company selling NFTs, and outright supporting it.

    People have a right to voice their opinions/concerns. Especially if this is signaling a path to what it is OK with BHVR vs what is not.

    I remember when I was one of the people who said this whole thing sounded like a scam and telling people to stop panicking, yet here we are. 🤷‍♂️ I for one would have never bought pinhead’s dlc had I known that this is what was going on behind the scenes.

    There is an NFT for this:

    Untitled Image

    So I hope you also stop using this meme template.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    Even if they weren't bad for the environment, NFTs have become a go-to hotbed for money laundering. Crime syndicates all over the world use this market to clean the money gained from all sorts of crimes against humanity like the drug trade, sex/human trafficking, murder, etc. BHVR partnering with an NFT company at all (and then lying about it) was a horrible decision. Getting Pinhead in the game was NOT worth supporting this market.

    Could you provide sources for these claims?

    As far as I am concerned NFTs and Cryptos are not that big of a deal for money laundering. The main currency used is the good old greenback $. Thus condeming a currency based on its misuse should also lead to condeming the usual suspects like dollar, yen, yuan or euro.

  • @Gwinty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570903#Comment_2570903

    Maybe you missed my point. We agree about the enviromental issues, I only disagree about the illegal acivities. You should go for the stronger argument that are not that easy to debunk. Maybe you could add art theft as an issue to this or that NFTs are not even offering the benefits of, say, Bitcoin where the token ist striktly limited.

    They are like traveling for fun on fossile fuel, by plane or by car...just a "fun" thing that produces pollution. Because even if you use green energy for them that energy could be used elsewhere.

    ahh I see what you mean now. Well I could have, however I simultaneously just want to convey the point NFTs are ######### BAD, so the points I brought up get that across. Though I suppose art theft does too.

  • @SlothGirly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570907#Comment_2570907

    you didnt buy an NFT, but you bought a product which will go to supporting a company that deals in NFTs. Had anybody known this prior, I guarantee almost nobody would have bought him. Because nobody wants to help a company that deals with NFTs. If other companies have done so, they've done so discretely, so of course people would buy their products when we dont know they deal in NFTs. There's a difference between supporting something willingly and unwillingly. Had I know my money would go to supporting them, I would never have Pinhead. And sure "it doesn't matter in game" that doesnt make it morally right.

    Well then I hope you don't buy anything from BHVR anymore. And you should uninstall DBD, because playing it also supports BHVR.

    Also don't us this meme:

    Untitled Image

    Because that has also some NFT.

    Better don't create any memes and don't even ever watch any meme.

  • I don’t think I’ve ever used that meme but thank you for the warning?

    We’re talking about DBD here not a specific meme.

  • that's the issue with NFTs, they are so expensive and wasteful, however anybody is free to download the image as they please. I can save that image to my device right now and it wont cost me a dime. But it's mine now, I have it. I can do whatever I like with it, and the NFT holder can't do anything about it. He has no authority over what I do with "his image"

    Also, downloading a file, doesn't support NFTs either, to think so is a little nieve on how they work.

  • @SlothGirly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570918#Comment_2570918

    ahh I see what you mean now. Well I could have, however I simultaneously just want to convey the point NFTs are ######### BAD, so the points I brought up get that across. Though I suppose art theft does too.

    Kitchen knives are also bad, some people were murdered by them.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570926#Comment_2570926

    Kitchen knives are also bad, some people were murdered by them.

    ok you're literally trolling, gotcha

  • Be mad at BHVR all you want, but I just can't be fully upset for some reason. It's just business being business and it's definitely unfortunate, but it's not enough to knock me off the game, I'm def gonna not buy the new survivor or barely any of the event cosmetics just so I can chip in my part to the backlash, but man is this a very grey area type situation. Just wish they didn't take the money, but who knows how much money was at stake there, been the first time I really didn't know what to think of the devs.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570926#Comment_2570926

    Kitchen knives are also bad, some people were murdered by them.

    Sounds like you are the one who needs to chill your grill.

  • @SlothGirly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570920#Comment_2570920

    that's the issue with NFTs, they are so expensive and wasteful, however anybody is free to download the image as they please. I can save that image to my device right now and it wont cost me a dime. But it's mine now, I have it. I can do whatever I like with it, and the NFT holder can't do anything about it. He has no authority over what I do with "his image"

    Also, downloading a file, doesn't support NFTs either, to think so is a little nieve on how they work.

    It is not the purpose of NFTs to prevent others from downloading some pictures.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570936#Comment_2570936

    Sounds like you are the one who needs to chill your grill.

    I agree, I won't reply on this thread anymore. It has no point. And I don't even really care anymore.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2570845#Comment_2570845

    Probably people are scared of what they don't understand. Then a little bit of misunderstanding mixed with some panic caused a mass hysteria.

    The irony is nearly poetic.

  • @Gwinty Just google NFT money laundering. It is by no means a secret. It's actually my main issue with NFTs.

  • Any form of blockchain tech is pretty terrible for the environment. Its an awful lot of power going towards an awful lot of nothing.

  • @ThePolice said:

    Can they not use “green” electricity or anything like that? Or are they only always bad for the environment

    Anyone can contribute to maintain and build the Blockchain which is used to store these NFTs. For this they get some money in cryptocurrency. Since green energy is not the cheapest, most will not use green energy, otherwise it would not be profitable for them.

  • To answer your question: all the money they'll lose if they get nuked from Steam. That's about how much money is at stake.

1 … 6 7 8 9 10 … 12