EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux
2023-05-10
As of Version: 6.7.1
Our long wait is over. Thank you to everyone, especially Mandy for putting up with us for almost 2 years. XD
Get out there and play some DbD!
----------Original Post----------------
EAC has prevented DbD from working on Linux through Proton. With the Steam Deck coming, Epic has updated the SDK to allow support for this.
I ask the devs to please enable this feature so I can play DbD on Linux and Steam Deck! Thank you!
Easy Anti-Cheat now supports all major PC operating systems, including Linux, Mac, and Steam Deck.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/protonGood news for EAC on Deck + Steam Deck test results getting published soon

Comments
Horizon zero dawn, cuphead, death stranding, hitman, superhot, all verified, it would be amazing to see DBD join that list.
And @MandyTalk , omano is right. enabling steamdeck is the same as enabling for linux+proton. Steam deck IS linux+proton, so whenever anyone says "linux support", you can just interpret it as steamdeck support. Any distinction between the two is too small to matter for games that aren't "native", plus the community will eagerly fix anything that arises, as has happened with many windows-only games before such as Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, where the community developed a day-1 controller api patch to bring the game to linux+proton, which the game devs have graciously implemented which is why NASB is now deck verified.
NASB devs never "supported" linux, they just didn't put roadblocks in our way - and the gaming community is all the better for it.
hey Behaviour this is the proton page for Dead By Daylight, this is people who, on every update check to see if miraculously the game runs on linux, can you please make it so we can play dbd on linux? P L E A S E?
From a game developer with access to these tools provided by Epic Games for EAC - I can confirm that this is a relatively simple process. You are literally ticking a few boxes in your EAC management portal, and updating the games EAC binaries.
This should require very minimal testing.
And if anything, if BHVR does require some degree of testing, surely they could spin up an accessible PTB for users wanting to test it out?
Linux users are by far way more technically knowledgeable than your average Windows user. If anything goes wrong, a Linux user would certainly provide the best kind of feedback, especially given the huge variety of Linux distributions that people may use.
@necrodos seems mandy edited your post. my guess is we're not allowed to put links here. but yeah, it's protondb. anyone can google it. it looks like this:
we're all eagerly awaiting the day DbD's EAC allows Proton compatibility!
Same here, pls BHVR hear us all!
Steam Deck about to release! Looking forward to the announcement about this implementation! Maybe in the Sadako Rising patch? Please oh please! XD
@MandyTalk updated first post with more current links and information.
also note these instructions from Valve. very easy. please pass along.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/steamdeck/protonfrom above site:
"Easy Anti-Cheat
As I've said, please do not expect DbD to be on the launch of Steamdeck.
Thank you @nikodemo I appreciate that you gave that in good will, but our developers are very much aware of what they need to do.
I've been very clear throughout this thread, that this is not something that's going to happen at the launch of Steamdeck. When we're ready to announce DbD for Steamdeck we will do it on our social channels prior to that date. Please keep your eyes there for this happening, but please do not expect this to happen that soon.
ok mandy, sounds good! thank you for your patience and all you do for us! i wait with eager anticipation. :D
There is no solo play on DbD against Bots - the closest thing to that is the tutorials or Custom Matches (commonly called Kill Your Friends). However, no you cannot play the game on Linux or Proton, it's only available on Windows 10 or 11.
I expect Steam Deck to be my platform of choice, so this is important to me as well.
I can play on Linux though, with a little bit of manipulation to Wine & Proton.
How, you did that ?! You can play multiplayer ? Can you give your manipulation and write on protondb and here.
Thank.
I am interested also.
I know that some people playing games like Genshin Impact can use some sort of hack to disable anti-cheat, but I'd imagine this is hard to do with EAC and would probably get you banned if you were caught (I know that launching Destiny 2 on Linux results in an instaban).
Currently, the best way to play on Linux is Stadia, which has cross-progression with Steam and also allows you to play on mobile (and it works a hell of a lot better than the official DBD mobile game, assuming you have a controller).
I deleted my Windows partition after support for Linux was announced last year, and I usually play DBD on Stadia in the meantime (all my other games work fine).
I won't make a whole new thread for this since we already have one, but how is support for Proton coming along?
My understanding is that even though Epic advertised transitioning to Linux support as being as easy as a push of a button, this was only true for people using the newer version of EAC that nobody other than them uses anyway, and migrating to that required rewriting large sections of the codebase, which made it very difficult to implement.
But this was widely regarded as a scummy move, and they reversed course after being called on it, which means that EAC Linux support should now be relatively easy for older versions of EAC.
As I have said, when we're ready to announce DbD on Steamdeck we will do that through our social media channels, until then there is no update I am afraid.
+1 i hope this is implemented soon, i will play other games until then.
it appears that behaviour has enabled support before the newest chapter because the EAC window loads, but they forgot to place the easyanticheat_x64.so in the game files. (or the anticheat was just updated) Not sure if it's true or not but knowing behaviour they probably forgot. So would yall please hurry? it takes two seconds.
For all of you wondering, it IS just as easy as a couple mouse clicks. My friend has a test game he implimented barebones EAC in his project, went to the sdk page, enabled the checkbox, placed easyanticheat_x64.so in the game directory and it works on linux. It is THAT easy
As I've said so many times now...when we are ready to launch the game on Steamdeck we will announce this. It is not a matter of a few clicks!
There will be no release of the game on Steamdeck without prior announcement so please pay attention to our social channels.
They just add the lib:
What ?! We can play now to GNU/Linux ?
Not yet. Even with the EAC Runtime installed the game hangs on EAC Loading Splash screen.
getting closer though!
Lets gooooooo! Looking forward to seeing the server side enabled :)
Whilst I adore your excitement please try to contain it - we've not announced anything yet, or given an ETA - I don't want people getting their hopes up about something and then getting demoralised when they realise there's a long wait for example.
As I've consistently said throughout this thread - please watch our social media channels where we will make announcements when things like DbD on Steamdeck will be launched, we've not given any sort of date yet.
I'd love it to be on Linux
Still doesn't work? When will you finish the project? What do you think?
The game is not out on Steamdeck yet, we will announce prior to that time.
Tweet at them to enable multiplayer on steam deck :) My deck is in the mail so it couldn't happen soon enough. I simply can't hit skill checks when streaming from a windows pc due to the streaming lag. I'm literally buying an hdmi over ethernet adapter to try to get a lower latency connection so I can play since I don't have direct access to the only windows pc in the house. I would much rather spend that money on DBD content :/
Hope to see this game added to Linux in the very near future. I have moved from a lifetime of Windows to Linux and its great seeing big titles like Apex Legends working on Linux hope this title will be joining the list soon.
Yeah, I've finally deleted my windows partition. DbD was the last thing holding me back.
They're not ready yet, but it's in the pipe. Maybe for the anniversary.
I've just done the same. Goodbye Windows, hello ArchLinux. I still have 9% of borked/bronze games in my Steam Library, although DBD and Rust are the remaining ones that I care about. Hope to be able to play DBD again soon.
It is only DBD in my library. But I just have about a dozen of games overall on steam. Would be awesome to be able to switch completely to Manjaro (or LMDE, have not decided yet).
I did the same a month ago, removed Windows from my nvme (which was being seriously damaged by the top quality microsoft drivers). Now I'm reinstalling DBD on my Linux-only machine waiting for BHVR to do something good for us linux users (I feel it's gonna be pretty soon and not Soon™).
Wish the best for you all!
Having this would be very cool.
im waiting with this release, but i dont what happens in linux stay update always, i cannot play in the steamdeck, is terrible, bad for BHVR for a simple update
All in due time. We can check again this week, maybe they'll make a surprise announcement, but I'm looking mostly at the anniversary update as my bet. But I'd gladly take it sooner!
There is nothing with regards to Steam Deck in this weeks Mid Chapter Update.
thanks for letting us know, Mandy!
Well NOTHING regarding steamdeck. I'm waiting for VHS and i will not waste time on this game anymore Bye
I did state earlier in the week that we're not at the point where we're launching DbD on Steam Deck yet - it will definitely be announced prior to its release. I'm sorry that you are disappointed that it's not available on Steam Deck at this time, however we have been very clear about this.
+1 for Linux Support!
Maybe some SteamDeck news around the 6th anniversary update? 😁 The devs have to be close to enabling EAC for Linux. They added some of the files required for Linux a couple of updates back.
Guys don't overwhelm the DbD devs. This is not an easy thing to implement. /s 😉
Yeah, would be great! Otherwise, it's going to be the first anniversary that I'm going to miss.
But as long as the game comes to Linux, I'm willing to wait <3
Yeah, Scooby, I'm with you. I'm waiting patiently, but if it's not announced for the anniversary, that's a non purchase for me until Proton support is enabled.
I've been playing on STADIA for now and I have to say, it's kind of rough. I don't recommend it. I can't take much more. XD
@Rokolell . It really is though.
Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about what the team is doing right now (meaning getting rid of cheaters, patching bugs and exploits, etc) and I'm fine with waiting for Linux support a bit longer, but saying it isn't an easy thing to implement, especially at the point to which they already implemented it is just wrong. They're quite literally just routing the download to a non working eac-content-distribution-network url. If that download is fixed, which really really shouldn't take long, their work would be done and the game would be playable.
And to be clear, fixing the download link can literally be done by Behaviour going on their Epic Online Services Developer Portal and putting a checkmark next to enable proton support and the link will work.
@nikodemo Is the game rough due to latency or smt else? Because it is notable that STADIA runs on Linux therefore dbd on STADIA runs in a windows container of a Linux System. My best guess is that eac isn't necessary or already patched for STADIA dbd since loading kernel cheats in STADIA would be fairly difficult to do.
just latency stuff, with Stadia. otherwise it's fine.
Enabling steam deck support isn't technically just one button, as you need to tweak controls and add touch screen support. However enabling linux support is just one button in the EAC settings panel.