It’s time to let us opt out of playing against Spirits

They’ve had years to make her more balanced and fun, and have done next to nothing. I’m tired of loading into a match, only to go against someone who has 10 hours in the game, because they’re playing a killer that takes zero skill. It’s just easy mode, which should not be in a competitive game.

Let us have fun please, instead of forcing us to go against this garbage!

Comments

  • And people would like to play the killer they have fun with

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506381#Comment_2506381

    Quite frankly, I have no sympathy for spirit players when 99% of them play because of how easy/strong she is. It’s toxic for the meta.

    That is very wrong. I became a Spirit main in the aftermath of Freddy's rework, and it wasn't because of her sheer strength. It was because I liked the character.

    It is impossible for you to know why 99% of the Spirit mains have chosen her, and it is not right to suggest something that would be unfair for them.

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506459#Comment_2506459

    And people would like to play the killer they have fun with

    They can enjoy that, until her nerf of course

  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506461#Comment_2506461

    Am I? Your post is going on the route of copypasta material. Especially with the "mah strimmer said spirih is op". Pretty sure I have a good enough read of you.

    I’d love to be a copypasta, let’s make it happen

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    Nah, I take spirit over nurse game anyday.

    then dont opt out?????

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    Yeah this isn't supposed to be a competitive game

    yet we have sbmm

  • why do you think she will get a nerf love to know

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506368#Comment_2506368

    If you’re losing to old mettle of man, the problem isn’t the perk.

    Old mettle of man was strong because you could chain it into a DH then a DS into a insta heal. If you could not chain it in those perk old mettle would not have broke the game

  • @botrax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506372#Comment_2506372

    Old mettle of man was strong because you could chain it into a DH then a DS into a insta heal. If you could not chain it in those perk old mettle would not have broke the game

    MoM was badly designed. It did basically nothing against killers like Huntress or Nurse (because of a bug) since they largely hit you with their power so they could ignore the perk entirely meanwhile low tier at the time killers like Wraith and Doctor could not play around it and basically had survivors running it a free hit against them.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506502#Comment_2506502

    MoM was badly designed. It did basically nothing against killers like Huntress or Nurse (because of a bug) since they largely hit you with their power so they could ignore the perk entirely meanwhile low tier at the time killers like Wraith and Doctor could not play around it and basically had survivors running it a free hit against them.

    What i remember is the perk was broken with that setup and a lot of survivor use the setup i said. During that time i was only playing freddy because he was my favorite killer so i cant say if the perk was bug or not when other killer was playing against it.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    They’ve had years to make her more balanced and fun, and have done next to nothing. I’m tired of loading into a match, only to go against someone who has 10 hours in the game, because they’re playing a killer that takes zero skill. It’s just easy mode, which should not be in a competitive game.

    Let us have fun please, instead of forcing us to go against this garbage!

    This isn't a competitive game.

    Its balance isn't taken seriously enough to be a competitive game. No...Mountain Dew will not sponsor this dumpster fire for e-sports.

  • @botrax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506529#Comment_2506529

    What i remember is the perk was broken with that setup and a lot of survivor use the setup i said. During that time i was only playing freddy because he was my favorite killer so i cant say if the perk was bug or not when other killer was playing against it.

    Even without that combination of perks, I wouldn't say old MoM was healthy for the game. It created a bigger divide between killers who could quickly down using their power and ignore MoM and killers who had to M1 survivors twice.

  • Yeah, no, that's not the right way to do it. Look man I agree Spirit needs to be nerfed by giving her counterplay, but like...

    You're saying she takes zero skill? That's very, very false. As others have said, if you're losing to a 10 hour Spirit, then that's on you. You can't outplay a good Spirit, but you can sure as hell outplay a beginner Spirit.

  • Eh. Not really making this more competitive at least for me personally

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506401#Comment_2506401

    Playing a killer to get a free win, run back to every hook, exploit broken add ons, etc is absolutely toxic.

    No that's not toxic at all. The word toxic has lost it's meaning because it's tossed around so much. Playing within the rules and confines of the game that the developers put in themselves, is not toxic. Just because you don't approve of the way someone else plays, doesn't make that playstyle toxic.

  • @GannTM said:

    So have you ever thought about the people that like her? We will never be able to play our favorite killer because of people like you.

    Then people like you should be encouraging the devs to balance spirit so she is so anti fun and op.

  • Let's make it to where killers have an option to opt out of SWFs and exhaustion + second chance perks. Sounds like a stupid request doesn't it?

  • @fr0sty1223 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506355#Comment_2506355

    Then people like you should be encouraging the devs to balance spirit so she is so anti fun and op.

    I have though...

    @GannTM said:

    As we all know, Spirit has very little counterplay in chase which makes her unfun to face. You can compare the lack of counterplay Spirit has with Nurse, but what makes Nurse much more balanced is the fact it takes a long time to master her. Spirit doesn't really have that much of a learning curve even though she is almost as strong as Nurse, which is honestly not fair.

    I do think that people that make the statement that Spirit takes no skill whatsoever are false because she does take skill. I do think that she takes more skill than some weaker killers like Legion and Wraith. It may be easier to get kills with Spirit because she's a much stronger killer than those two but if we're talking actually getting good with killers' powers, then, in my opinion, Legion and Wraith are easier than Spirit. When you really think about it though, Legion and Wraith being easy to use are not that big of a deal because they're pretty weak killers (although I'm not sure what tier Wraith will end up now that he's about to receive a buff but he still won't be top tier). I think it's totally fine to have simple killers like Legion and Wraith as long as that killer isn't so strong. You look at Spirit being a killer that's so strong but is fairly easy to get good with, so that's obviously a huge issue that needs to be looked at. Freddy has that same issue though I don't think Spirit is nearly as easy as him.

    The reason Spirit isn't that hard to get good with isn't that it's easy to track survivors you can't see, because I do think there are some situations where it can be hard to track, especially if a survivor has Iron Will and/or Ace without Stridor. The thing that makes Spirit easy is because she doesn't have any major penalties for misusing her ability and because survivors don't really have anything to react to. Also, standing still getting hits that way is something my dog, Pluto, can do. Think about other chase oriented killers:

    • Nurse: she holds her hand out giving you a queue that she's about to blink; she has a couple of seconds of fatigue for misusing her blink with a fairly short power gauge.
    • Blight: you can clearly see him running towards you and does a roar when he begins a lethal rush; he has to inject himself for a few seconds for misusing his ability along with a long power gauge depending on how many lethal rushes were used.
    • Billy: you can hear his chainsaw and he clearly holds it out; he's stunned for a little bit for bumping into a wall and has a little cooldown for missing along with that stupid overheat mechanic that made no sense why it was added in.
    • Oni: he makes a global noise when he begins blood fury and starts to demon dash; he's stunned for a few seconds for missing an attack on top of having to go back to being an M1 killer if his power runs out having to collect enough blood orbs to get his power back.

    There are some other killers I didn't mention but you get the picture. Pretty much all I'm saying is Spirit needs to give cues to survivors on what she's doing and also having some kind of way to get punished for miss-phasing. Not necessarily a nerf because just nerfing her with directional audio and post-phase fatigue without anything to compensate for that could make her unbearable to play if it was implemented in a careless way. There needs to be something done though.

    Y'all probably know me from many other threads on these forums, and it's very obvious that my favorite killer is Spirit. I really want her to be a balanced killer with a very high skill cap. She just isn't in her current form though, and it's about time the devs listen to the community after over 2 years of Spirit complaints. Whenever I go in with my Meghead ego playing survivor, I'd 100% rather play against Nurse than Spirit. It honestly hurts me having to say this being someone that loves Spirit, but trust me, I'm trying just as hard as most of y'all are in getting her the balance change she needs. Always seeing "nerf Spirit" threads can be tiresome but let's keep them up if it means the devs will one day decide it's time to change her. I know this is BHVR we're talking about so it's hard to know if they will actually listen.

    @GannTM said:

    I feel like a lot of people tend to overthink changing Spirit. Either their ideas give her a completely different identity that doesn't go with her lore or they make her significantly weaker. Being a Spirit main, I know this killer very well and I'll give my thoughts about how I think she should be reworked.

    • The Spirit's moaning noises should be a little bit more inconsistent than they are right now, and they should be directional when she's using her power. It shouldn't be 100% accurate on the survivor's end as I feel like she'd be easy to loop if it was. On the killer's end, the Spirit player should have an indicator on their screen all the time that will show when Spirit's moaning or not. This will make the Spirit player be smart about when she should start using her power. This will be an even exchange of mind games from both the survivor and killer. Standing still getting a free hit shouldn't be a feature anymore as it takes little to no effort to get a hit that way.
    • The Spirit's power recovery speed should always be at 10 seconds regardless of how long she phases. This will be a nerf and a buff to Spirit imo. It will keep the player from spamming short bursts with more room for error, and getting around the map with the full duration will be more effective.
    • Buff her movement speed to 180% to compensate.
    • Passive phasing isn't healthy and isn't very useful as it is so I would suggest just removing it entirely. If passive phasing was to be kept in, I heard someone recently had an idea to make passive phasing only happen when Spirit's power is fully recovered which gives the survivors an idea her power is up.

    Her add ons most definitely need a few changes.

    • Mother-Daughter Ring is way too stupid of an add on. I think the duration of the phase should be cut to 3 seconds by default as the inability to see scratch marks isn't enough to compensate.
    • Wakizashi Saya and Katana Tsuba should reduce the reappearance duration as it's so easy to get cheap hits with these add ons. If these add ons give her ridiculous lunges, they need to give the Spirit player less time to react to compensate.
    • Juniper Bonsai and Dried Cherry Blossom are useless add ons that need a serious rework to make them viable. They should affect the frequency of Spirit's moaning instead of passive phasing.
    • You can make an argument her green add ons need minor tweaks, but the ones I mentioned are the ones that really need to be changed.
    • Father's Glasses, Prayer Beads Bracelet, Yakuyoke Amulet, all her yellow add ons (except for Juniper Bonsai), and all her brown add ons are all fine and don't need a change.

    Also, this isn't necessary, but please give Spirit her own chase music. Every killer needs that.

    @GannTM said:

    As a former Spirit main that has probably played like 5 Spirit games the past month and a half to two months, I’m starting to want to get back into her again. However, I just can’t because I understand how painfully oppressive she is to go against and I just feel bad for survivors when playing as Spirit.

    So devs, I know y’all probably aren’t going to do it any time soon but please just give her counterplay and raise her skill ceiling, even if it drops her to B or C tier. She’s by miles my favorite killer (not favorite character because Yui happily takes that spot) because her character’s awesome, visual design is awesome, and lore is so well-done. I miss being a Spirit main so I’m begging to see that Spirit nerf at some point in the future.


  • post like these is why BHVR will never respect us

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    They’ve had years to make her more balanced and fun, and have done next to nothing. I’m tired of loading into a match, only to go against someone who has 10 hours in the game, because they’re playing a killer that takes zero skill. It’s just easy mode, which should not be in a competitive game.

    Let us have fun please, instead of forcing us to go against this garbage!

    If they only have 10 hours you still probably shouldn't be struggling that bad against them. She isn't as oppressive as people believe just got to alter your play style in those matches which is what makes dbd good, you can't play against every killer the same way.

  • @glitchboi said:

    Yeah, no, that's not the right way to do it. Look man I agree Spirit needs to be nerfed by giving her counterplay, but like...

    You're saying she takes zero skill? That's very, very false. As others have said, if you're losing to a 10 hour Spirit, then that's on you. You can't outplay a good Spirit, but you can sure as hell outplay a beginner Spirit.

    Sorry, she takes the skill of buying a headset

  • Eh, I have a headset and still find her really hard to play. It is not some $300 dollar headset or anything, but it works fine for everything else. I am just not able to triangulate their exact position based on the sound of their breathing... Rofl. I would just rather play Wraith for more or less the same effect. I will never be able to just stand there and have a survivor try to walk into me, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506381#Comment_2506381

    Quite frankly, I have no sympathy for spirit players when 99% of them play because of how easy/strong she is. It’s toxic for the meta.

    So,you want all killer like traper or pig?

    You dont like spirits,because you cant bully her.

  • I want to play spirit however due to her being unfun I don't, but this post man. Really makes me want to play spirit.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    They’ve had years to make her more balanced and fun, and have done next to nothing. I’m tired of loading into a match, only to go against someone who has 10 hours in the game, because they’re playing a killer that takes zero skill. It’s just easy mode, which should not be in a competitive game.

    Let us have fun please, instead of forcing us to go against this garbage!

    but you can do things, rewalk your tracks, dont ######### run all the time. and respect her phasing, ive taken many a spirit on a 4 gen run. your argument is invalid and irrelevant.

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    Nah, I take spirit over nurse game anyday.

    I really enjoy the nurses chase becusse it's different than any other killer, charging the nurse is hilarious

  • I feel bad that so many people are so miserable on these forums.

    Hope they do better, soon!

  • I mean, this is effectively “banning” a certain character from being chosen. This would disrupt the systems in place in so many ways.

    One scenario is that every survivor gets a ban vote decided pre-lobby, in 4-man squads, that effectively means no spirit, nurse, blight, and whoever comes after that.

    In another scenario, all survivors collectively get to ban 1 killer. That can only happen whilst the lobby has already been made, with the killer most likely already in waiting. If the vote decides the killer the killer-player has chosen (which they can’t change anymore once connected, because of their MMR with said killer determining the lobby they’re connected to in the first place), they’ll either be kicked, or forced into another option with which they could be substantially better or worse with, defeating the entire point of MMR. Not even mentioning how it is just a middle finger to the killer-player, denying them from playing who they want.

    This ain’t a MOBA. Besides, if we’re gonna do any banning at all, it’s the killer that should get to do it.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    I mean, this is effectively “banning” a certain character from being chosen. This would disrupt the systems in place in so many ways.

    One scenario is that every survivor gets a ban vote decided pre-lobby, in 4-man squads, that effectively means no spirit, nurse, blight, and whoever comes after that.

    In another scenario, all survivors collectively get to ban 1 killer. That can only happen whilst the lobby has already been made, with the killer most likely already in waiting. If the vote decides the killer the killer-player has chosen (which they can’t change anymore once connected, because of their MMR with said killer determining the lobby they’re connected to in the first place), they’ll either be kicked, or forced into another option with which they could be substantially better or worse with, defeating the entire point of MMR. Not even mentioning how it is just a middle finger to the killer-player, denying them from playing who they want.

    This ain’t a MOBA. Besides, if we’re gonna do any banning at all, it’s the killer that should get to do it.

    Killer can opt out of any loby with survivors they don't want to Play against, or survivors who bring items they don't like

  • @Rey_512 said:

    Run Iron Will (which you probably already do). Lucky Break also helps, especially if you use that with IW and a fast medkit.

    Unlike the sound bug which nerfed Spirit hard and she couldn’t do anything about it, survivors have ways to counter her.

    So run perks basically? What if I don’t have them going in?

  • This content has been removed.
  • @wxnickxw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506700#Comment_2506700

    Killer can opt out of any loby with survivors they don't want to Play against, or survivors who bring items they don't like

    They can already do this. It’s called “dodging” by the community, and is often frowned upon.

  • (Having read nothing but the title)

    It's Doctor, Trickster, and Hag for me. They can all eat it.

  • Bhvr can't let players opt out against certain killers since that would make queue times insane.

    Plus spirit is grossly overrated. She is a good killer but not impossible to play against.

  • It's time to git gud

  • @fitch said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506396#Comment_2506396

    So,you want all killer like traper or pig?

    You dont like spirits,because you cant bully her.

    I really dislike comments like this. No, people hate her because of how unbalanced she is. Most people that play both sides can see this. I don't want her gutted, but I do want to play against her without wanting to just DC because of how miserable she is to play against. She has almost no counterplay when you're going against a good Spirit player. It's not about wanting to bully her.

  • Honestly she's fine I just wish they Nerfed her add ons again they seem overtuned still

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506710#Comment_2506710

    They can already do this. It’s called “dodging” by the community, and is often frowned upon.

    That's what I was referring to. I meant they had the option not that it needed to be implemented

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    Honestly she's fine I just wish they Nerfed her add ons again they seem overtuned still

    They just need to add a q to her phasing. I just want to point out that when a killer mind games a strong tile they are guess on a 50/50 chance on them falling for said mind game which is pretty much exactly what survivors complain about with spirit.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506441#Comment_2506441

    Don’t even watch Otz just used him as an example of someone with evidence

    Man who has not watched thing holds up thing as evidence, because he's vaguely sure it says something he likes.

    More at 11.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506437#Comment_2506437

    So run perks basically? What if I don’t have them going in?

    Mindgame windows or pallets, that’s your best bet. Remember, she can’t see you when phasing.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506711#Comment_2506711

    Mindgame windows or pallets, that’s your best bet. Remember, she can’t see you when phasing.

    Yes but she can hear my moans of pain, see foliage moving. Hear me slow vault pallets or windows since your survivor grunts and see scratch mark or potentially blood not to mention footsteps.

    All I can track her on is footsteps but I’m pretty sure they removed that

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2506765#Comment_2506765

    Yes but she can hear my moans of pain, see foliage moving. Hear me slow vault pallets or windows since your survivor grunts and see scratch mark or potentially blood not to mention footsteps.

    All I can track her on is footsteps but I’m pretty sure they removed that

    Doesn’t matter, if you’re at shack she has to use a lot of her phase to get you. Try a fast vault then slow vault back… next time do the complete opposite. Your goal is waste at least one phase so she becomes a 4.4 ms killer. Then she has to wait around 15 seconds for her power to come back.

  • Nerf the spirit by itself. Not dependable on Iron Will. It's just absurd her abusive 1 vs 1 and her insame map movility.

  • Respect for you, buddy, claiming a balance although u main her.


    Although I like her art, her concept and power, as surv spirit is the killer I hate the most to go against.


    Besides she is so incredibly strong, people usually play her to up the limit (strong addons, metaperks and full camp tunnel).


    U just unhook a guy and there she is, ready for tunnel. On tournaments or with strongest SWF ok. But on Solo Q.... i just point them till they kill me if they are going full tunnel.

  • maybe u never played against myers .. and toxic myers (( obsessed with 1 survivor only))


    hey ! u cant play today kiddo


    am 38 yrs old btw

  • @Brokenbones said:

    Would rather face Spirit than Pig

    would rather face spirit then myers

  • I would rather face Myers*


    *(Except Tombstone myers)

  • u kidding? thats why all / i hate him ..

    because his tombstone ;(

    myers with out using his tombstone.. price less

1 2 3 4 5