The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • I feel like ive had the most problems with azarovs. That just me? Thats not to say i dont have issues elsewhere, that just seems to be the worst

  • Okay just had 3 games the stutters are far more manageable, any PS4 users I recommend you try this, check previous post.

  • @Razorbeam said:

    Okay just had 3 games the stutters are far more manageable, any PS4 users I recommend you try this, check previous post.

    I did this as well, doesn't seem to have helped much.

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fvgwx-ONOI

    Although this does not fall into optimization or fps drops and freezes, I thought some might enjoy this. At some point when I was running, I froze, My body couldn't move. I got downed and picked up and then dropped. I also couldn't wiggle. I could not recover nor could I crawl. I was essentially paralyzed. I've seen some strange things happen during the lifespan of this game. But there's bugs that make perks meta such as wake up, and then there's perks that make your soul leave your body. This was one such bug.

    Edit: Killer carried me around and tried to give me hatch. It did not work. I could do no sort of actions of any kind. My player model didn't even react to my character turning.

  • I cleared the pass a while back, but have 2 challenges left (hook obsessions and trap during chase). Once I've done these...I'm on a break from DBD. I will log in for the event rewards but that's it.

    The freezing has got ridiculously bad. The game would stutter no end. One time an Ace vaulted the fence loop on Badham, and *bang* he was gone. Disappeared. I also kept getting teleported and loosing my rhythm.

    Hand on heart, this game is in the worst state it's ever been.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2332388#Comment_2332388

    That's literally verifiably false, don't make this a "it's this Console's fault because I never had issues before."

    I verified by myself For 2 years straight ,the game on my ps4 was running perfectly. Why you’re responding like your feelings are hurt;

  • @Dr_Loomis said:

    I cleared the pass a while back, but have 2 challenges left (hook obsessions and trap during chase). Once I've done these...I'm on a break from DBD. I will log in for the event rewards but that's it.

    The freezing has got ridiculously bad. The game would stutter no end. One time an Ace vaulted the fence loop on Badham, and *bang* he was gone. Disappeared. I also kept getting teleported and loosing my rhythm.

    Hand on heart, this game is in the worst state it's ever been.

    I've been playing DBD since around the time it was ported on over to Xbox, and agree the current state of the game is at an all-time low performance wise.

    However watching footage from when the game was new and only on PC will do more than raise an eyebrow...

  • @reeves7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2332410#Comment_2332410

    I verified by myself For 2 years straight ,the game on my ps4 was running perfectly. Why you’re responding like your feelings are hurt;

    I forgot that since you had no issues, that means nobody else did either.

    @OniWantsYourMacaroni aren't you on Ps4?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2333257#Comment_2333257

    I forgot that since you had no issues, that means nobody else did either.

    @OniWantsYourMacaroni aren't you on Ps4?

    Yes i am and i started to see FPS drops around the time dedicated servers were introduced.

    Later updates just brought some more FPS drop triggers

    Outside of FPS drops the general FPS were pretty ok for me.


    The Resident Evil update hotfixes however COMPLETELY destroyed performance for me.

    Much more frequent FPS drops + lower FPS in general (And i'm not sure if it's because of lower FPS but my game looks like it's running on lower resolution than before sometimes).

  • @reeves7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2332410#Comment_2332410

    I verified by myself For 2 years straight ,the game on my ps4 was running perfectly. Why you’re responding like your feelings are hurt;

    Your console must be blessed, blessed I say!

    There have been many on this thread and in others on the various PS4 machines that have not been as fortunate as you with their consoles. Just like there are many PCrs who never had a problem performance wise until the RE chapter came out.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2333257#Comment_2333257

    I forgot that since you had no issues, that means nobody else did either.

    @OniWantsYourMacaroni aren't you on Ps4?

    I am also on ps4. Performance issues have been around for some time now, the RE chapter just made them insanely worse.

    Here's the post from LAST summer started by a PS4 player and commented on by many fellow PS4 players, as well as xbox, about performance issues being an issue and only getting worse.

    @Nobsyde said:

    (for the original post look below)

    UPDATE #2 (SEPTEMBER 1)

    @MandyTalk posted this reply:

    "If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed.

    When we have information we will post it."

    So here's asking to all the new comers: please, don't spam and remain in-topic as much as possible. The new patch is almost here and it would be a shame to not have this topic ready to discuss if and what changed. Thank you guys!

    UPDATE #1 (August 28)

    Q: did BHVR acknowledge the consoles problem?

    A: NO. The only thing that BHVR did in this topic was to say, and I quote from @PatBrutal, "Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it."

    The reply from Pat was on August 13th, and since then we haven't received any update on the matter. We currently don't know:

    • if the Dev Team actually did read the post
    • if they understand there is a frame rate problem
    • if they are willing to work on the problem
    • if they are able to work on the problem
    • if the problem has any priority over other work
    • if yes at all of the above: when the issues are expected to be resolved

    Aside for the (non existent) public communications here on the forum, today there has been a tweet from the DbD official account that states as follow:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/LNGBR0C61IDY/image.png

    notice the post is not talking about any improvement over the current fps on console, just that they apparently acknowledge console need special care for the graphical update.

    if BHVR should ever decide to give any new public statement on the matter, it will be posted as a new update.

    -----------------

    ORIGINAL POST (august 5)

    There are plenty of feedback on the optimization sub board but I don't see any reply from BHVR, so, once again:

    are you aware that fps on console (PS4, at least) degraded A LOT since 4.1.0 when playing as killer?

    Here, I'll post you a video from today on Hawkins, it's basically a slide show every time a survivor is on screen.

    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489

    (if it doesn't open: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489)

    as a comparison, here's the same map (different killer, but trust me, it's not the Oni the problem), but from one month ago

    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944

    (again: direct link is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944)

    The frame rate obviously is still far from optimal, but it's a great deal better than how it is now.

    Can you, @Peanits , @Almo or whoever else at least say "yes, we know, expect a fix soon / buy a pc you filthy console peasant"?

    EDIT: bonus video - Hillbilly on a very open (and not very elaborate, polygonally speaking?) map.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvi3tYBSOA

    The framerate is certainly better than on Hawkins, but as you can see every time there's a chase, maybe at T-L walls, everything goes south.


  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2333257#Comment_2333257

    Your console must be blessed, blessed I say!

    There have been many on this thread and in others on the various PS4 machines that have not been as fortunate as you with their consoles. Just like there are many PCrs who never had a problem performance wise until the RE chapter came out.

    my console was « blessed »(i dont like to use that term). Since the re update i cant play. I have a friend on xbox one x that doesn’t notice any problem right now tho. Its very weird

  • @reeves7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2333702#Comment_2333702

    my console was « blessed »(i dont like to use that term). Since the re update i cant play. I have a friend on xbox one x that doesn’t notice any problem right now tho. Its very weird

    Does your friend store DbD on a HHD,SSHD or SSD?

  • Very relatable meme for y'all

    Screenshot_20210704_173133.jpg


  • I've completely given up playing killer seriously due to the poor performance. Farming only till they fix the game.

  • I think we should all do a challenge: guess which page a dev will finally respond on this thread.

  • @GannTM said:

    I think we should all do a challenge: guess which page a dev will finally respond on this thread.

    Is it bad that my bet is "never"...

    I think we may get updates about optimisation, like tweets or forum notifications, but i doubt we will get an actual reply... But i hope im wrong.

    We just want to play your game! Pleaseee communicate with us about these things we want to help

  • @GannTM said:

    I think we should all do a challenge: guess which page a dev will finally respond on this thread.

    What number comes after infinity?

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334163#Comment_2334163

    Is it bad that my bet is "never"...

    I think we may get updates about optimisation, like tweets or forum notifications, but i doubt we will get an actual reply... But i hope im wrong.

    We just want to play your game! Pleaseee communicate with us about these things we want to help

    ”Never” is an option and is in fact the smartest answer.

  • @GannTM said:

    I think we should all do a challenge: guess which page a dev will finally respond on this thread.

    As long as band aid fixes keep being suggested Devs won't respond because obviously people just need to stop background recording so they can't send proof down for reports OR share their crappy performance issues and they should spend $100 on random equipment that may/may not work but will be $100 less towards savings to upgrade to new console once available - these solutions remove devs from having to address or put effort into fixing performance issues on their end. 🙄

  • I hate to say it, but I went to Best Buy today and bought a SSD to improve performance on my PS4 Pro. Yes, it seems to work, the game is much smoother now. I'm justifying it with the hope that the Warhammer games' performance will also improve some, since those can turn into slideshows at times (I haven't tested it out yet). DbD is still hurt by loud fans, occasional frame drops, and that damn white flickering. The devs need to fix this nonsense.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I hate to say it, but I went to Best Buy today and bought a SSD to improve performance on my PS4 Pro. Yes, it seems to work, the game is much smoother now. I'm justifying it with the hope that the Warhammer games' performance will also improve some, since those can turn into slideshows at times (I haven't tested it out yet). DbD is still hurt by loud fans, occasional frame drops, and that damn white flickering. The devs need to fix this nonsense.

    Can you upload a game or two on youtube? I already have your channel, but others might want to see the difference too. If it is not too much to ask of course.

  • Hes not a young guy(over 38),i doubt he knows what an ssd is.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334618#Comment_2334618

    Can you upload a game or two on youtube? I already have your channel, but others might want to see the difference too. If it is not too much to ask of course.

    Sure. Here are some Nemesis clips from before I got the SSD. I'm on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeBrb6bWCQw


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFbl_fdMmQ


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAODFjivA8Y


    This one's a beaut:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsmk2g4sc68


    Rather than a clip, this is a few minutes long so you can see how this isn't a once-a-match occurrence, this happens often and it's painful:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzq1of9vAZc


    Now, here's a full match after I moved the game to a Samsung Portable SSD T5 1TB:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjkZaWKLITg


    There are literally only a couple places where the frames drop. The difference is night and day.

  • First game on ssd def seemed way smoother

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334628#Comment_2334628

    Sure. Here are some Nemesis clips from before I got the SSD. I'm on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeBrb6bWCQw

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFbl_fdMmQ

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAODFjivA8Y

    This one's a beaut:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsmk2g4sc68

    Rather than a clip, this is a few minutes long so you can see how this isn't a once-a-match occurrence, this happens often and it's painful:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzq1of9vAZc

    Now, here's a full match after I moved the game to a Samsung Portable SSD T5 1TB:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjkZaWKLITg

    There are literally only a couple places where the frames drop. The difference is night and day.

    Didn't watch the whole games, only parts of last two videos to compare nemesis tentacle.

    That is actually a big difference from what I have seen. Are survivor games like that too? You don't have to post em we believe you.

    Didn't expect this much of a difference, thanks for posting. I won't buy ssd just for this game tho.

  • So I got home from vacation today and went on for a while and holy moly these bugs are getting worse and worse.

    Did the game get worse for anyone since RCPD was re enabled?

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335065#Comment_2335065

    Didn't watch the whole games, only parts of last two videos to compare nemesis tentacle.

    That is actually a big difference from what I have seen. Are survivor games like that too? You don't have to post em we believe you.

    Didn't expect this much of a difference, thanks for posting. I won't buy ssd just for this game tho.

    There was also a big difference in survivor matches. I was actually going to post videos anyway, so here you go.

    This is before the SSD (killer: Doc):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDyKIQTj8tY


    This match is after moving DbD to the SSD (killer: Nemesis):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5gMfVRAb4


    I'm not sure if that string of great skill checks in the second video is because the game is running better or if it was just a fluke.

    And I don't blame you for not wanting to go out and get an SSD. The one I got was $120 for 1TB (on sale for $20 off at Best Buy, woo), it's not a small purchase, and it should not be necessary. BHVR needs to fix/optimize their game, it did not run this poorly before the RE chapter.

    EDIT: Here are a couple clips I posted previously of pre-SSD console survivor life in case you missed them, these are peachy: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2329939#Comment_2329939

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335085#Comment_2335085

    There was also a big difference in survivor matches. I was actually going to post videos anyway, so here you go.

    This is before the SSD (killer: Doc):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDyKIQTj8tY

    This match is after moving DbD to the SSD (killer: Nemesis):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5gMfVRAb4

    I'm not sure if that string of great skill checks in the second video is because the game is running better or if it was just a fluke.

    And I don't blame you for not wanting to go out and get an SSD. The one I got was $120 for 1TB (on sale for $20 off at Best Buy, woo), it's not a small purchase, and it should not be necessary. BHVR needs to fix/optimize their game, it did not run this poorly before the RE chapter.

    EDIT: Here are a couple clips I posted previously of pre-SSD console survivor life in case you missed them, these are peachy: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2329939#Comment_2329939

    Thank you, you are too kind. Well at least now we know that there is an option for people on last gen who are willing to do it.

  • After 5 to 10 games i can absolutely confirm this is running better off an ssd. Like way better. Even my hits are connecting like they used to. I still get the occasional stutter but its LIGHT YEARS ahead of where it was 2 weeks ago and feels more like it did a year agi.


    @MandyTalk

  • No mention of fixing console performance in the dev update.

    BHVR continues to not give a crap about the console players.

  • I just wanted to state that running an ssd external hardrive seems to do the trick I played a lot of matches with killer with no drops in frame and freezes. I used the T7 Samsung SSD external hardrive since it was the cheapest I could find locally at Walmart.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I hate to say it, but I went to Best Buy today and bought a SSD to improve performance on my PS4 Pro. Yes, it seems to work, the game is much smoother now. I'm justifying it with the hope that the Warhammer games' performance will also improve some, since those can turn into slideshows at times (I haven't tested it out yet). DbD is still hurt by loud fans, occasional frame drops, and that damn white flickering. The devs need to fix this nonsense.

    I can see it's improved just wonder if it will help standard ps4s or not? And how long will this solution help the problems that we face?

    I just can't justify spending that amount of money just to make a game functional nor do I think people should have to resort to it either.

    No disrespect meqnt either btw I'm super happy this has improved things for you tho 🐷💕

  • Im not sure about y'all...

    But im not spending money to get good optimisation on a 5 year old game, that should have NO PROBLEMS running on current gen consoles (PS4 and Xbox One)

    Im not buying a SSD or a next gen console, this is up to BHVR to fix.

  • I actually re-installed DBD on my own SSD and it doesn't seem to have done much

  • @Pulsar said:

    I actually re-installed DBD on my own SSD and it doesn't seem to have done much

    After a certain (and relatively low) read speed, the loading time in any video game is bottlenecked by the CPU.

  • @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334618#Comment_2334618

    I can see it's improved just wonder if it will help standard ps4s or not? And how long will this solution help the problems that we face?

    I just can't justify spending that amount of money just to make a game functional nor do I think people should have to resort to it either.

    No disrespect meqnt either btw I'm super happy this has improved things for you tho 🐷💕

    I don't know if it'll help the base PS4. I was actually talking about that with someone else in another thread. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335287/#Comment_2335287

    I agree that people shouldn't have to spend that much money to get a game to run properly. BHVR continues to sell the game and all the DLC on console, so it should all work on console.

    No disrespect taken. I've actually been constantly having to delete stuff off my PS4's hard drive every time there's an update, since 100 GB free isn't enough to install an 800 MB update for DbD, so I needed to do something. Getting an SSD instead of an HDD just means I sacrificed TBs for speed.

    I do worry that every update BHVR releases will just make the game run worse and worse. If they continue to build on the archaic mess that is DbD without optimizing it, I think even the best hardware will be no match for their ever-worsening spaghetti code.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I actually re-installed DBD on my own SSD and it doesn't seem to have done much

    What SSD were you using?

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335085#Comment_2335085

    There was also a big difference in survivor matches. I was actually going to post videos anyway, so here you go.

    This is before the SSD (killer: Doc):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDyKIQTj8tY

    This match is after moving DbD to the SSD (killer: Nemesis):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5gMfVRAb4

    I'm not sure if that string of great skill checks in the second video is because the game is running better or if it was just a fluke.

    And I don't blame you for not wanting to go out and get an SSD. The one I got was $120 for 1TB (on sale for $20 off at Best Buy, woo), it's not a small purchase, and it should not be necessary. BHVR needs to fix/optimize their game, it did not run this poorly before the RE chapter.

    EDIT: Here are a couple clips I posted previously of pre-SSD console survivor life in case you missed them, these are peachy: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2329939#Comment_2329939

    can i add an ssd on my ps4 base?

  • I was discussing this very question with someone else here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335287/#Comment_2335287

    I'm not a tech expert, so I can't give you any definite answers. I found those two links using Google.

  • @zack12sora said:

    I just wanted to state that running an ssd external hardrive seems to do the trick I played a lot of matches with killer with no drops in frame and freezes. I used the T7 Samsung SSD external hardrive since it was the cheapest I could find locally at Walmart.

    by the way i just found the WD_Black P50 Game Drive 2TB for 90€ wich is 100$ plus or less. Ill get that

  • Seagate Barracuda Fast SSD 1TB External Solid State Drive

    sorry for the weird text, I just yoinked it off of their Amazon page

  • @reeves7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335567#Comment_2335567

    by the way i just found the WD_Black P50 Game Drive 2TB for 90€ wich is 100$ plus or less. Ill get that

    Really?! $100? That thing's worth 3 to 4 times that much. Make sure it's a P50 SSD and not a P10 HDD. If it really is a P50 SSD, that's awesome.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2335735#Comment_2335735

    Really?! $100? That thing's worth 3 to 4 times that much. Make sure it's a P50 SSD and not a P10 HDD. If it really is a P50 SSD, that's awesome.

    its a p10 i didnt see…………………………

  • Imagine spending that much money just to get a 5 year old game to run smoothly...

    Its not worth it

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334163#Comment_2334163

    As long as band aid fixes keep being suggested Devs won't respond because obviously people just need to stop background recording so they can't send proof down for reports OR share their crappy performance issues and they should spend $100 on random equipment that may/may not work but will be $100 less towards savings to upgrade to new console once available - these solutions remove devs from having to address or put effort into fixing performance issues on their end. 🙄

    How dare people attempt to find work arounds to the problems we've dealt with for over a month.

  • @Razorbeam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2334549#Comment_2334549

    How dare people attempt to find work arounds to the problems we've dealt with for over a month.

    Trust me in that,they CANT FIX the console problems!!!!! If they could fix it,it should have been fixed long time ago. Dont expect them to change all their codings from the beginning to rewrite new ones. I know they cant,so i don’t expect them to fix it. I never had any fps or lag problems since the re update,so i didn’t care about the poor performance so many console players stated but now i can see and it’s unfortunate how bad optimised this game is. You want the problems to be fixed; fix them by yourself,buy an ssd or the ps5/xsx or a good pc.

1 … 41 42 43 44 45 … 82