All new killers being released are the same concept: It's getting boring.
So, this trend started with Demogorgon. It was the first of this apparently new trend of "Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't / get hit or get hit" mechanic. The Demogorgon has two basic attacks. The normal M1 and the shred lunge on M2. The way it works is simple, you either get the M1 hit in or if they try to run to a pallet/window you shred or fake it + M1. You can also use this to burn through pallets etc. The point is, basically all they've released recently is based on that very same, at this point boring, repetitive concept.
Shortly after this Deathslinger followed. Same concept. You get hit or you get hit. Just choose the way you get hit. You either M1 or shoot or aim/fake it +M1.
After this P-head gets released. Again same concept. You get hit or you get hit. Either M1 or force window vaults/pallet drops to M2 or fake it + M1.
And now, yet again, Trickster gets released. You get hit or you get hit. Same concept... again.
So, before the braindead arguments of "ArE YoU sAYinG TheSE KiLLerS R StrOnG????1123455sixseveneight" kick in, that's not the point of this thread. It's not the point of this thread either to "JuSt LearN to minDgAmE tHe m2s lMaooO". That's not the point of this thread either.
The point of this thread is: Most killers being recently released are the same concept. We're not seeing Nurses-like killers, in the sense of breaking game rules we know (not necessarily being broken like she can be, just different mechanics). Hell, Myers, Oni, even Legion work a little differently and feel different compared to what you normally do. But this trend of domed if you do - doomed if you don't pick your poison get hit or get hit. Always the same. It's getting old, it's getting boring.
Nevermind how powerful/weak these killers are. Why is everything based on the same idea constantly?
Comments
Because why should killers have options?
What about Nurse? Can M1 or Blink.
Huntress can M1, or throw a Hatchet.
Plague can M1 or spew vomit.
Spirit can M1 or phase and M1.
Pyramid can M1 or use his line AoE.
I'm sure they are running out of ideas for killers and new powers.
I wish they'd stop worrying about new content for awhile and concentrate on bugs right now.
I mean, the big problem here is the reductive thinking. ANY killer can pretty much be boiled down to 'either they hit you or use their power'. That's kind of the point.
If you look at Demogorgon and Trickster and think to yourself 'These killers are the exact same', that's a problem with your perception.
The order of release was not "Demogorgon, Deathslinger, P-Head, Trickster." There were other Killers in between that, and if you include those Killers, only a little over half of the Killers in that timespan are ones you mentioned. Not to mention that of the four you mentioned, two of those have additional abilities (Demo with his portals and P-Head with his torment stuff and cages) that aren't just "hitorbhit". So no, I don't think your argument that all Killers nowadays are just the same holds up very well.
From the matches I've had against Demo lately you wouldn't believe he had Portals. Its not like they use it once or twice in the match, they just literally never used it. Its weird.
---
@CustomerService How, in any way, is Trickster "hit or be hit"? I guess if you consider taking 1/8th of a health state per knife you can say this, but you aren't taking damage just because he is using his power.
Also Deathslinger.
I guess if you are bad at dodging I could see how this could be the case, but that's more a you problem than a Killer being "doomed if you do - doomed if you don't pick your poison hit or be hit".
lmao
Wraith can M1 or super M1! 🤣
I am a bad Demo player, so don't put much stock in my words, but his portals are fairly clunky to use IMO. Even with Corrupt, the set up is a pretty bad timewaster.
I had a feeling it was probably due to them being clunky and time-wastey.
I fully agree with OP and I would like to add that since Plague we got 9 Killers which 6 out of them are played around some kind of ranged attack, either by throwing a direct proyectile (Plague, Deathslinger, Pyramid Head, Trickster) or by the Killer being the one being used as ranged attack (Demogorgon and Twins) it feels very uninspired.
It looks like someone took the reigns of the game mechanic design team after Legion and that person LOVED ranged attacks.
The standard hold W and get looped is also boring.
ok....I dont agree with your reasoning here but ermm how about you come up with a killer concept that follows a different method.
Different thing. Nurse forces you to play differently and it's not a "M1 or Blink". She just blinks and it's all mind games.
Huntress? sure, and I'm not necessarily against this. It's the repetitive concept of this pattern that's an issue.
Wraith? Nah, same case as nurse. It's not a mold-copy paste design. He's invisible and comes out of it. Full stop.
Very much this.
I don't think there's anything wrong with my perception. Maybe there's something wrong with your perception of my perception. I break it down to whatever I consider. If you don't agree, that's fair.
I addressed this part when I commented "please avoid braindead arguments". Guess it was too difficult for you to read/understand this part. Or you chose to ignore it. In any event,I already said this is not the point of the thread.
That's why I used expressions like "shortly after this" and not "right after this killer, this other came out". I picked these expressions and not others consciously. It wasn't random.
They might have additional abilities, but their core attack is based on their M1 / M2 skills.
I feel like you are still omitting Killers that undermine your argument. You're basically cherry picking at that point.
They might have additional abilities, but their core attack is based on their M1 / M2 skills.
As opposed to what? M1, move, M1? Or charge and then M1 or M2?
Coincidentally, two of those Killers are extremely boring.
Trickster and Demo, being the two.
Deathslinger and Pyramid Head, imo, have enough uniqueness in their kits to interest me.
So consequently, all of the killer abilities have been coming out can be countered by moving left and right really quick. That's all you have to do. It's like a graduation from "press E to outplay". Just move left and right to outplay.
Its not because you play these killers wrong that they are the same. But I think your skill level on each is the same : low ;)
You say we're not seeing killers that break game rules and use different mechanics and proceed to mention 3 killers that do in-fact play by different rules.
Death-Slinger, his concept is pretty original, no other kills latches onto you and pulls you out of position and allows you to hit people through windows.
Pyramid Head, he lets you hit people through walls and pallets, gives you an alternative to hooking, and lets you mori survivors without needing an offering.
The Trickster, gives you another option for a ranged killer that can hurt or down you if they can accurately hit a constant stream of shots opposed to the whale sized hatches huntress throws.
I kinda hope they stop after 20 for a while so that they can bang some new maps out.
Agree completely. We don't really need anymore killer or survivor "skins"