The Decisive Strike Problem (Rework)
I know that you killer mains are very upset and enraged that the Decisive Strike nerf didn't hit the PTB but you gotta think about the other side as well. Now before you get you pitch forks and torches for me saying that, allow me to explain before you bombard me with LOL's! 
The Problem With Decisive Strike:
This perk allows a "Free" get out of jail card to the survivor using it.
How to Fix Decisive Strike Without Making the Perk Useless:
Let's look at Deliverance, a perk that makes you work for a get out of jail card and notice this time that I didn't say "Free" like I did above with the Decisive Strike problem. Deliverance has multiple amount of various variables limiting it from being a "Free" get out of jail card. Let's look at the conditions of the perk as well as the penalties afterward from using the perk:
Deliverance:
-Needs a condition to activate: Safe Unhook
-You will still move to the second phase of sacrifice due to the hook mechanics
-Has a penalty after using it: Broken Status Effect
-Can be completely useless if you are hooked first since you can only perform the "Attempt escape" action during the "Summoning" phase.
-Incorrectly using the perk can result in you going straight to the "Struggle" phase.
Now, since we got a general understanding on why Deliverance is a balanced get out of jail card, let's apply our knowledge to Decisive Strike.
Decisive Strike:
When you are within 36 meters from the killer for a total of 100/80/60 seconds and not in a chase, this perk will activate. If the perk is activated and the killer picks you up, immediately stun the killer for 5 seconds and automatically wiggle free from the killer's grasp. A successful Decisive Strike will cause you to suffer a 60 second bleed-out timer. Decisive Strike will be permanently disabled if you are hooked at anytime. Increases your chances of becoming the killer's obsession.
Some things to consider with this version:
-You'll immediately stun the killer and escape their grasp after the pick up animation is finished meaning no skill check or dribbling.
-You'll not be informed about your progress to activating this perk since it could give away stealth killers but the perk will light up when it's activated.
Why is This Version of Decisive Strike More Balanced?
This version has a condition, a risk, and a penalty after using the perk. This perk is exactly like Deliverance or a better way to explain it, it's now the survivor's version of a Hex perk. You either waste a perk slot or you can get tremendous value if you follow these conditions!
What do you all think? Please leave your civil comments below!
The Problem With Decisive Strike:
This perk allows a "Free" get out of jail card to the survivor using it.
How to Fix Decisive Strike Without Making the Perk Useless:
Let's look at Deliverance, a perk that makes you work for a get out of jail card and notice this time that I didn't say "Free" like I did above with the Decisive Strike problem. Deliverance has multiple amount of various variables limiting it from being a "Free" get out of jail card. Let's look at the conditions of the perk as well as the penalties afterward from using the perk:
Deliverance:
-Needs a condition to activate: Safe Unhook
-You will still move to the second phase of sacrifice due to the hook mechanics
-Has a penalty after using it: Broken Status Effect
-Can be completely useless if you are hooked first since you can only perform the "Attempt escape" action during the "Summoning" phase.
-Incorrectly using the perk can result in you going straight to the "Struggle" phase.
Now, since we got a general understanding on why Deliverance is a balanced get out of jail card, let's apply our knowledge to Decisive Strike.
Decisive Strike:
When you are within 36 meters from the killer for a total of 100/80/60 seconds and not in a chase, this perk will activate. If the perk is activated and the killer picks you up, immediately stun the killer for 5 seconds and automatically wiggle free from the killer's grasp. A successful Decisive Strike will cause you to suffer a 60 second bleed-out timer. Decisive Strike will be permanently disabled if you are hooked at anytime. Increases your chances of becoming the killer's obsession.
Some things to consider with this version:
-You'll immediately stun the killer and escape their grasp after the pick up animation is finished meaning no skill check or dribbling.
-You'll not be informed about your progress to activating this perk since it could give away stealth killers but the perk will light up when it's activated.
Why is This Version of Decisive Strike More Balanced?
This version has a condition, a risk, and a penalty after using the perk. This perk is exactly like Deliverance or a better way to explain it, it's now the survivor's version of a Hex perk. You either waste a perk slot or you can get tremendous value if you follow these conditions!
What do you all think? Please leave your civil comments below!
Tagged:
Mod
Comments
I wish it was this simple but rework is the only fix.
I fear it will be even worse now the hooks will be further apart. All the non-obsessions will easily hit their 35%
I liked the idea of it being an item - an ultra, ultra rare item mind. That way it wouldn't be in every single game.
They should remove it completely. Getting DC 3 times in one match is insane.
I think this rework does everything a rework can for a perk, any conversations whose points exist outside the scope of this perk are not going to be solved by a rework of this perk. This perk may make prominent issues regarding meta-game balance, but I think this rework accomplishes the task of diminishing that prominence so that all we are left with is the normal game imbalance. Which cannot be solved by just reworking any perk.
No point in digging any deeper then we or I need to be.
@Nickenzie I know Not_Queen wasn't streaming till Nov 2nd at the earliest due to her going to Twitchcon, so i'm not sure she's going to be responding to the forums right now. That doesn't mean she doesn't see it she does, and i'm sure she'll discuss it with the devs.
Perhaps you could throw this one in for the next DevStream question pool.
Put exhaustion on DS or you need item in hands ;s (o hai franklin!)
wait, how bout a smaller skill check, causes exaustion, and lowered amount of stun time?
I actually do like this idea. I love deliverance as a perk since its well balanced and giving that treatment to decisive strike would ease the annoyance a bit. Hopefully the devs not being satisfied with the tested changes means they realized this too. If they did, I'll be amazed.
Anything that gives someone another chance without working for it is not okay. Ruin doesn't give the killer a second chance since survivors can cleanse the Hex and it's needed or else killers will get generator rushed, NOED is a grey area, and Bitter Murmur doesn't have much a impact to a game to be considered a second chance. However DS is easy to use and gives a survivor another chance for failing, perks that reward failure without meeting a condition is unacceptable.
"Devs stated this trick is legitimate and can be used three times before the survivor is free from killer's grasp, so it's very simple to block the skill check or make the survivor waste the perk."
The killer dribbling a survivor looks really silly and most of the times, the survivor isn't downed beside a hook. Additionally how do you counter a non obsession DS? Enduring is just a hard counter and not reliable since it doesn't prevent the survivor from extending the chase.
"I agree with the charging of the perk by being far from the killer for a period of time, but bleed-out is a nonsense: it replaces the dying state, giving the survivor a chance to lose the killer, but when you wiggle succesfully by the killer's grasp you are merely injured, so that timer is not reasonable nor coherent with the general game mechanics."
The bleed out timer is there to encourage the survivor to break the chase or else they will enter dying state after a minute. Additionally, the survivor didn't successfully wiggle free in terms of reaching 100% on the bar, the survivor just stuns the killer at the beginning or at 35% of the wiggle bar. Assuming if it takes 16 seconds for a survivor to wiggle off and become injured, what does that mean for a 1 second escape? Overall, I didn't put things there just for LOLZ, I have a reason to do what I do. If you have anymore questions, please ask!
I just started reading and I’ve already been backstabbed!
Uh, I don't use NOED, it's practically the same as DS.
"I prefer more powerful perks on the both sides, that make the difference, so everybody has to build a different game strategy according to the special help every combination of four perks guarantees."
I'm okay with powerful perks if they have a huge risk and huge reward play style. I'm not okay with low risk and high reward perks, it's a "no no".
For the f. sake, NOED can be countered before it even sets off and after it does - it can be stomped out. That's the first thing. Second - Killers failure is not announced by all gens been done. Think if you want to make a reasonable argument 'cause this one doesn't stick at all.
DS can't be countered, Enduring will shave off a couple of seconds of stun but it's the loosing of the survivor itself that's the major event here, stun is an addition in comparison. And the perk as it is wouldn't be so much o a problem if game were taking longer than it does right now. The other issue is it's reliability (tremendously difficult, rrright) and possibility of 4ppl wearing it.
The rework ideas are actually quite nice, though the idea of it stopping Killer and adding wiggle progress is equally good. Or make a counter-skillcheck for the Killer, why only Survivors are supposed to have boons based on a ting that can be trained to the point of no-mistake
I don't like the idea of escaping the grasp even if you meet a condition. It's really annoying after a hard chase the survivor can escape easily. If the game were longer then keep it like it is now, but we all now how short the matches are against good survivors.
Maybe you stun the killer for 4 sec WITHOUT escaping and make it automatic without skill check is fine.
Are you kidding? There are multiple counter plays. You can dribble the survivor which happens A TON if you suspect they have decisive. Another strategy that is distracting and makes the already difficult skill check even harder to hit is if you swing about the time you think they are getting the skill check... the noise sand the motion is VERY distracting when you are trying to focus on the skill check. Saying there is NO counter at all is stupid. And honestly why do survivors need ANY nerfs? Right now they game is so favored toward killers you are pathetic if you don't kill at least 3/4 every match at any rank.
I don't like your version. It doesn't solve the problem we have now "escaping the grasp"
And the killer still has to deal with possible 4 DS in one match!!
I asked @Patricia a question in the Q&A and I'm not sure if the developers seen my suggestion. Hey, can you shine some light into this? I really believe this would be the solution to balancing DS!
As a survivor, I love it. It makes for the best optimization possible that ekes away even more time from those nasty killers.
Yeah, I definitely understand your PoV but at least the perk isn't a free get out of jail card, ya know?