Spinechill: If I Could Remove One Perk From The Game

Object is bad enough on an SWF group, but if you get multiple people with this sodding perk (as I've experienced today) - it completely and utterly negates most of my favorite killers.

Also - is there a way for survivors to see what killer you are in lobby? I recall there being an old trick, but...wow. Every time I try Ghostface or Wraith, there are 2-3 people running this and I have an impossible game.

Anyway - rant over.

Comments

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641807#Comment_1641807

    It doesn't matter. It completely negates most stealth toolkits, and Myers. On top of providing an extremely meaty bonus.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641810#Comment_1641810

    No. All it tells me is that:

    • They might be stealthed nearby
    • They might have quietly legged it

    The problem is that it's a lose lose. If I hunt, they could be smashing down a gen. If I head off and try to find them, they scurry out like a bunch of weasels and finish the current gen.

    But that's not the core issue here. The core issue is that it is an unreasonably hard counter to stealth of all types.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641812#Comment_1641812

    I could swear I remember you from another thread...weren't you the guy constantly nerfherding specific killers?

    In which case - uhhh...yeah,

    It doesnt negate anything except running to them straight on. You can even sideways walk.

    Ok nothing wrong with trying something. those are all assumptions you are trying to make to justify not trying to moonwalk. Even if they were true you look around regardless of the situation.

    If you chase someone there is gonna be someone on a gen anyways. You are 1 person you can't occupy 4. No matter what you do someone will always be on a gen unless the other 3 are occupied. It doesnt hard counter anything you just have to play around it.

    Yeah I complained about DS,Spirit, PH nut its whatever because there are no dc penalty and most arent the best so its doable.

  • i would delete object of obsession, is very unhealthy for the game, and broken with friends.

  • PainReliever

    Disliked this

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641546#Comment_1641546

    That's the thing though. You don't, and you can't. It's not like Object or BT. There is no indication whatsoever that it's active, until you hit postgame and go 'oh, that's why they got several gens without me even having a chase'.

    You can look for nuances to deduce if the player has spine chill. You can notice that if you're looking directly at them and their vault is faster, they could have vailt build or spine chill on its own. Also, if they don't have any LOS on you and they already start running, you pretty much know they have spine chill.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641687#Comment_1641687

    It doesn't activate without your knowledge, you should know how the perk itself works and how survivors react. If a mildly flashing icon that stops 10 seconds before you arrive is making them run away then they are clearly the kind of survivors you shouldn't have a problem killing. Seriously, if spine chill is giving you problems that is entirely your own bad plays, and as m as I hate the term it really is a Git Gud moment.

    @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641690#Comment_1641690

    You are basically saying that you aren't good enough. Spine Chill never gives me problems, to the point I counterplay it automatically it even as non-stealth killers.

    Calling something that is reliably done by others "unreliable" just means that you need to get better at doing it.

    Got a video or something I could watch? Would be very intrigued to see this.

  • @StarLost said:

    Object is bad enough on an SWF group, but if you get multiple people with this sodding perk (as I've experienced today) - it completely and utterly negates most of my favorite killers.

    Also - is there a way for survivors to see what killer you are in lobby? I recall there being an old trick, but...wow. Every time I try Ghostface or Wraith, there are 2-3 people running this and I have an impossible game.

    Anyway - rant over.

    If it didnt work on stealth killers, it would be perfectly balanced.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641843#Comment_1641843

    Object is only really obnoxious when it's in play with an SWF.

    Although, frankly, BHVR should start balancing entirely around SWF groups.

    till then perk a pain but yea ok.

  • There should be more perks like spine chill that buff a certain part of your kit while also giving valuable information at the right time AND still be counter able if the killer takes the right guess.

    Better than: "Hey i just unhooked myself and got four protection layers around me, GG EZ."

  • @NursesBootie said:

    There should be more perks like spine chill that buff a certain part of your kit while also giving valuable information at the right time AND still be counter able if the killer takes the right guess.

    Better than: "Hey i just unhooked myself and got four protection layers around me, GG EZ."

    If it didn't work against Undetectable, I'd be perfectly happy with it. As it stands, it makes weaker killers much much worse.

  • @StarLost said:

    Object is bad enough on an SWF group, but if you get multiple people with this sodding perk (as I've experienced today) - it completely and utterly negates most of my favorite killers.

    Also - is there a way for survivors to see what killer you are in lobby? I recall there being an old trick, but...wow. Every time I try Ghostface or Wraith, there are 2-3 people running this and I have an impossible game.

    Anyway - rant over.

    for once I agree lets remove all perks and effects that give away to much information, and hurts being stealthy players so we can get rid of Spine chill, OoO,BBq&chilli Undying and we can remove killer instinct from base kits etc lets do it bring back the stealth game. after that lets nerf all aura based add ons and so on for both sides....... with as many aura crutch type perks around killers to let them know exactly where survivors are at you want to get rid of the one decent detection perk survivors have. it don't even give them an aura of where the killer is it its just hey the killer is looking in your direction.

  • I don't hate spine chill as Wraith, it really doesn't do much against him because you move quickly whole cloaked anyway and can check off the hiding spots fast. As GhostFace or Pig though...

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Most survivors don't even know how to use Spine Chill. A lot of times they end just running on top of the killer because it isn't directional.

    I feel personally attacked...

  • The undetectable status effect was implemented solely due to the fact that object of obsession completely countered stealth killers. With the update that introduced this change, Spine Chill was actually buffed to work against Scratched Mirror Myers. This buff alone tells us that the devs most likely aren't going to change Spine Chill and frankly, I'm happy about that. With so many players complaining about having to play against DS, Unbreakable, Adrenaline, SB, etc. why would the devs make perks that aren't used as much weaker? If anything they should make more perks like Spine Chill so that the META can actually be shaken up a bit, something that countless players have been asking for for years.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    The undetectable status effect was implemented solely due to the fact that object of obsession completely countered stealth killers. With the update that introduced this change, Spine Chill was actually buffed to work against Scratched Mirror Myers. This buff alone tells us that the devs most likely aren't going to change Spine Chill and frankly, I'm happy about that. With so many players complaining about having to play against DS, Unbreakable, Adrenaline, SB, etc. why would the devs make perks that aren't used as much weaker? If anything they should make more perks like Spine Chill so that the META can actually be shaken up a bit, something that countless players have been asking for for years.

    The only problem lies when they make killers based on getting value by punishing the survivors for not paying attention "michael and ghostface punish survivors for not paying attention to their surroundings with instadowns". Put this perk in they book it before i can get barely any stalk as either of them. How do i punish them for not paying attention when they have a perk that does it for them?

  • @indieeden7 said:

    The undetectable status effect was implemented solely due to the fact that object of obsession completely countered stealth killers. With the update that introduced this change, Spine Chill was actually buffed to work against Scratched Mirror Myers. This buff alone tells us that the devs most likely aren't going to change Spine Chill and frankly, I'm happy about that. With so many players complaining about having to play against DS, Unbreakable, Adrenaline, SB, etc. why would the devs make perks that aren't used as much weaker? If anything they should make more perks like Spine Chill so that the META can actually be shaken up a bit, something that countless players have been asking for for years.

    By...completely boning some of the weakest killers in the game?

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642289#Comment_1642289

    By...completely boning some of the weakest killers in the game?

    The only inarguably weak killer that has the undetectable status effect is the Pig. Wraith has been shown to have some great potential by streamers such as Tru3, Myers has amazing snowball potential with an instadown that affects all survivors, Night Shroud has a pretty short cooldown and is generally used to hide the red stain while in chase or sneak up on people (which spine chill doesn't do much against as it isn't directional), and Demogorgon although rather weak, doesn't really have much use for the undetectable status effect. So the only weak killer it actually affects all that much is Pig who's in need of a rework anyway.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642092#Comment_1642092

    If it didn't work against Undetectable, I'd be perfectly happy with it. As it stands, it makes weaker killers much much worse.

    It's discussable. On the one side do we got premonition as counter to stealth, but on the other side killers like GF or Wraith could become oppressive very fast.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    I do think it needs some sort of adjustment or cooldown. Things like free vault speed for nothing during a chase is BS, and a killer shouldn’t have to 100% always move sideways never actually seeing where they’re going.

    6% faster vault speed when fast vaulting takes

    .5 second is imperceptible. It's only maybe noticeable when you combine it with Resilience, but that's only with you're injured.

    And you don't have to 100% always move sideways. First of all, you merely need to turn your head slightly and second, only when you're a handful of seconds away from the gen.

    The problem is not that the perk is too strong, it's that so many killers are too lazy to make even a slight adjustment to their playstyle. You know the old advice: adapt. The perk has been in the game for years. Stop complaining and actually do something about it if you're convinced it's that powerful.

  • I use Spinechill because I'd rather not give a free grab to a stealth killer.

    I can't believe Spinechill is being complained about now. Survivors just can't have anything, can they?

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641770#Comment_1641770

    6% faster vault speed when fast vaulting takes

    .5 second is imperceptible. It's only maybe noticeable when you combine it with Resilience, but that's only with you're injured.

    And you don't have to 100% always move sideways. First of all, you merely need to turn your head slightly and second, only when you're a handful of seconds away from the gen.

    The problem is not that the perk is too strong, it's that so many killers are too lazy to make even a slight adjustment to their playstyle. You know the old advice: adapt. The perk has been in the game for years. Stop complaining and actually do something about it if you're convinced it's that powerful.

    I do.

    I walk sideways. And it’s bloody annoying.

  • The only time Spine Chill is annoying or "op" is if it's being used by a Blendette or Blendettes to take the game hostage. You don't have to stare at the gen while approaching it and if they crouch away without UE they won't get far and you'll have a fair chance at finding them.

    It's also a good perk to use if trying to open Exit Gates that are next to each other or when unhooking a survivor that's being camped.

    When I play as Wraith for example they usually hear my breathing before I activate SC anyway.

    With all these second chance perks and Iron Will that stops you from breathing I feel like complaining about SC is just dumb (no offense to anyone intended). It's a good perk that has a fairly easy counter.

  • Not only is the "counter" annoying af but in many cases you will miss what´s actually going on for looking at the tree while approaching a gen. You won´t know if they noticed you and moved away. You won´t know if there were other survivors.

    I still hope someone can give me an answer though on how to reliably stalk survivors as Myers and GF without looking at them, hence completely negating my advantage of being "Undetectable" and, by extension, my power.

  • @ringwinning said:

    pats you on the back as I equip spine chill and iron will

    Spine Chill, Diversion, Iron Will, Calm Spirit

    When it works, it's the funniest #########

  • @AetherBytes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641627#Comment_1641627

    Was there meant to be a quote or something here, or wrong thread?

    No, the OP put in their statement:

    is there a way for survivors to see what killer you are in lobby? I recall there being an old trick, but...wow.

    so I elaborated on it.

  • This perk is so frustrating when I try to play Ghost Face because I swear at least half the survivors have it whenever I play him. I really think it shouldn't be active while you're undetectable so that I can play Ghost Face or scratched mirror Myers instead of man with knife >.>

  • Yeah, lots of ways you have to adjust your playstyle to counter a killer power or a perk from either side is bloody annoying. That does not mean they are too strong or need to be changed.

  • @Slashstreetboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642381#Comment_1642381

    Not only is the "counter" annoying af but in many cases you will miss what´s actually going on for looking at the tree while approaching a gen. You won´t know if they noticed you and moved away. You won´t know if there were other survivors.

    I still hope someone can give me an answer though on how to reliably stalk survivors as Myers and GF without looking at them, hence completely negating my advantage of being "Undetectable" and, by extension, my power.

    You obviously can't. Maybe hide better? Plenty of times my SC will light up and stay lit up and I look around like "######### where is this dude" and by the time I see Myers or GF peeking out from behind a tree they've already gotten plenty of stalk progress.

    You can also stalk them while they run away, FYI. And if they are crouching around trying to avoid your LoS then that means they won't get much distance as you close in on them. Position yourself better.

    Sorry that SC sometimes makes it so you can't completely fill your meter in one, uninterrupted stalk session, but that's why counter play exists.

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642475#Comment_1642475

    You obviously can't. Maybe hide better? Plenty of times my SC will light up and stay lit up and I look around like "######### where is this dude" and by the time I see Myers or GF peeking out from behind a tree they've already gotten plenty of stalk progress.

    You can also stalk them while they run away, FYI. And if they are crouching around trying to avoid your LoS then that means they won't get much distance as you close in on them. Position yourself better.

    Sorry that SC sometimes makes it so you can't completely fill your meter in one, uninterrupted stalk session, but that's why counter play exists.

    Thank you for your condescending advice. I wish it included something I wasn´t already well aware of though.

  • @Slashstreetboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642907#Comment_1642907

    Thank you for your condescending advice. I wish it included something I wasn´t already well aware of though.

    If you were well aware of that and not biased then you wouldn't be asking for a nerf.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641581#Comment_1641581

    Killers manage to moonwalk at Tiles. Should not be too hard to look away from a Gen when approaching it. (In fact, I know for sure it is not difficult)

    @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641581#Comment_1641581

    I mean, it isn't hard to walk to a gen without looking at it directly, if you have good map knowledge.

    @CheyeneKL said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641581#Comment_1641581

    Not even close ######### LOL

    Moon walking to a gen or making your FOV point flicker will 100% be useful and it isn't that hard. Most survivors stay on their objective until they get a long SC activation. And the ones who run as soon as they get a flicker won't be causing anyone trouble because they're probably rank 15 LMAO

    @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641581#Comment_1641581

    You can literally just.. not look directly at the gen you're going to. This really isn't complex. Get good.

    You guys seem to have difficulty in understanding why it's a dumb idea to look away from a gen. If I'm approaching a gen that's straight ahead, I can use my eyes to locate a survivor that runs right or left. If I'm over here moonwalking to a gen and they still see me, well guess what they are long gone and I have no idea where they went.

    Spine chill has a larger detect radius than the terror radius of every killer. And since I don't have a distance gauge on my UI, I could be moonwalking for 40-50m like an idiot. 36m notice is an 8 second head start.. 8 seconds + the time I lost in trying to figure out where they went.

    It's such a stupid "counter". But you do you i guess.

  • I swear only a bot would want that perk removed or nerfed before all the other BS in this game

  • @Hopesfall said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641584#Comment_1641584

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641597#Comment_1641597

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641590#Comment_1641590

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641585#Comment_1641585

    You guys seem to have difficulty in understanding why it's a dumb idea to look away from a gen. If I'm approaching a gen that's straight ahead, I can use my eyes to locate a survivor that runs right or left. If I'm over here moonwalking to a gen and they still see me, well guess what they are long gone and I have no idea where they went.

    Spine chill has a larger detect radius than the terror radius of every killer. And since I don't have a distance gauge on my UI, I could be moonwalking for 40-50m like an idiot.

    It's such a stupid "counter". But you do you i guess.

    Then... don't moonwalk. Look to the side. 🤦

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642381#Comment_1642381

    Yeah, lots of ways you have to adjust your playstyle to counter a killer power or a perk from either side is bloody annoying. That does not mean they are too strong or need to be changed.

    and michael and gf where I HAVE to look at them for my power? what then?

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1642881#Comment_1642881

    and michael and gf where I HAVE to look at them for my power? what then?

    I, uh, already answered that.

  • How do i adapt when michael only goes into his other tiers by stalking you just want me to never go into ew2 and ew3?

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1643230#Comment_1643230

    How do i adapt when michael only goes into his other tiers by stalking you just want me to never go into ew2 and ew3?

    It's not worth responding to you any further, tbh. Have a good one.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641690#Comment_1641690

    You are basically saying that you aren't good enough. Spine Chill never gives me problems, to the point I counterplay it automatically it even as non-stealth killers.

    Calling something that is reliably done by others "unreliable" just means that you need to get better at doing it.

    Thats the problem about spine chill, you never know when anyone has it and as a killer player i dont need more perks that just scare me every match because someone might have them but maybe they dont but yet you still have to play like they do.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1643230#Comment_1643230

    How do i adapt when michael only goes into his other tiers by stalking you just want me to never go into ew2 and ew3?

    This dude despite being a douche about it actually offered nice advice for people that never played against SC before. The main complaint is that the alleged counterplay is goofy, dumb and way too punishing considering the survivor has to literally do nothing to profit immensely from the perk. This holds especially true for the stalking Killers since one of their main strengths, the element of suprise, can easily be negated by having it equipped.

    In over 2 years I haven´t had a single Killer get the jump on me when I had it on.

    Btw I managed to get my adept Myers at rank 4 back then. It´s a tough one, I recommend double stalk speed addons or J. Myers Memorial + Hairbow. Might take you quite a number of tries, maybe don´t do it in red ranks. You´ll get it eventually, SC or not.

  • @EqMonkVeeshan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194097/spinechill-if-i-could-remove-one-perk-from-the-game

    for once I agree lets remove all perks and effects that give away to much information, and hurts being stealthy players so we can get rid of Spine chill, OoO,BBq&chilli Undying and we can remove killer instinct from base kits etc lets do it bring back the stealth game. after that lets nerf all aura based add ons and so on for both sides....... with as many aura crutch type perks around killers to let them know exactly where survivors are at you want to get rid of the one decent detection perk survivors have. it don't even give them an aura of where the killer is it its just hey the killer is looking in your direction.

    *Woop woop* - it's the sound of the strawman police.

  • @Slashstreetboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1643248#Comment_1643248

    This dude despite being a douche about it actually offered nice advice for people that never played against SC before. The main complaint is that the alleged counterplay is goofy, dumb and way too punishing considering the survivor has to literally do nothing to profit immensely from the perk. This holds especially true for the stalking Killers since one of their main strengths, the element of suprise, can easily be negated by having it equipped.

    In over 2 years I haven´t had a single Killer get the jump on me when I had it on.

    Btw I managed to get my adept Myers at rank 4 back then. It´s a tough one, I recommend double stalk speed addons or J. Myers Memorial + Hairbow. Might take you quite a number of tries, maybe don´t do it in red ranks. You´ll get it eventually, SC or not.

    What he doesnt get is the purpose of michael and ghostface are to punish the survivor for not paying attention. Sure i can adapt and just chase them and get stalk that way but the original purpose is to watch from the background and get free stalk when they arent paying attention. After i look at them with spine chill theyll start looking around see me and run away. Its kinda like a handhold for something they should know by now.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1643284#Comment_1643284

    What he doesnt get is the purpose of michael and ghostface are to punish the survivor for not paying attention. Sure i can adapt and just chase them and get stalk that way but the original purpose is to watch from the background and get free stalk when they arent paying attention. After i look at them with spine chill theyll start looking around see me and run away. Its kinda like a handhold for something they should know by now.

    It's also not a rare perk. In my last 8 games, at least 2 people are running it. Quite frustrating when you are trying to learn/level Ghostface.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1643284#Comment_1643284

    What he doesnt get is the purpose of michael and ghostface are to punish the survivor for not paying attention. Sure i can adapt and just chase them and get stalk that way but the original purpose is to watch from the background and get free stalk when they arent paying attention. After i look at them with spine chill theyll start looking around see me and run away. Its kinda like a handhold for something they should know by now.

    Spine chill doesn't even tell you the direction they're coming from , you could literally run right into a stealth killer by choosing the wrong way don't blame a perk for your losses

  • Complaining about a survivor perk that is good at best. Really? What's next? Resilience nerf? Bond is too strong? A player with sprint burst is much harder to deal with in the beginning of a chase when compared with a player with spine chill. So many times I just stumbled with a spine chill survivor that just left a gen in the corner of the map and has no ideia that he is coming towards me instead of away from me. That perk is fine. It would be overpowered if it had aura reading. Spine chill is definitely of least concern when it comes to survivor perks even for stealth killers.

  • its not even that widely used, and only really affects gf

  • @Kumnut768 said:

    its not even that widely used, and only really affects gf

    What?

    I've had at least one person (usually more than one) in the last...must be 11 games now.

    Either someone has figured out how to do the old 'what killer is it?' trick or this is quite a bit more common than you'd think.

  • A lot of naysayers and there's-counterplay-ers here, but I agree with the OP. Super strong perk. Little downside. Makes stealth killers much, much weaker. Like many of the most hated perks (OoO, DS, Unb, DH), yeah it's not so bad if one person has them but when 3 or 4 players are just immersing and doing gens, it bogs the game down so much. No chases. No interaction. Just boring AF.

    The best thing the Devs could do is force survivors to run different perks, but that sadly will never happen.

  • @malloymk said:

    A lot of naysayers and there's-counterplay-ers here, but I agree with the OP. Super strong perk. Little downside. Makes stealth killers much, much weaker. Like many of the most hated perks (OoO, DS, Unb, DH), yeah it's not so bad if one person has them but when 3 or 4 players are just immersing and doing gens, it bogs the game down so much. No chases. No interaction. Just boring AF.

    The best thing the Devs could do is force survivors to run different perks, but that sadly will never happen.

    Literally just had one. 3 players with it. All splitting up and doing gens. Ended up having to camp someone on gates just to get a kill. The second I got close (on wraith) they were already somewhere off in the bushes.

  • @Hopesfall said:

    I still don't understand how it overrides a status called "Undetectable"

    the logic is astounding

    Maybe it could be nerfed? Spine Chill doesn't work with killer in Undetectable, but otherwise stays the same as it is. That seems fair.

  • @EleaticStranger said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1641533#Comment_1641533

    Maybe it could be nerfed? Spine Chill doesn't work with killer in Undetectable, but otherwise stays the same as it is. That seems fair.

    Would be fair, but would cause such a forums hissy fit that I doubt it would ever happen.

1 2 3