BHVR, can we acknowledge fps on console is AWFUL since 4.1.0?

(for the original post look below)

UPDATE #2 (SEPTEMBER 1)

@MandyTalk posted this reply:

"If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed.

When we have information we will post it."

So here's asking to all the new comers: please, don't spam and remain in-topic as much as possible. The new patch is almost here and it would be a shame to not have this topic ready to discuss if and what changed. Thank you guys!

UPDATE #1 (August 28)

Q: did BHVR acknowledge the consoles problem?

A: NO. The only thing that BHVR did in this topic was to say, and I quote from @PatBrutal, "Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it."

The reply from Pat was on August 13th, and since then we haven't received any update on the matter. We currently don't know:

  • if the Dev Team actually did read the post
  • if they understand there is a frame rate problem
  • if they are willing to work on the problem
  • if they are able to work on the problem
  • if the problem has any priority over other work
  • if yes at all of the above: when the issues are expected to be resolved


Aside for the (non existent) public communications here on the forum, today there has been a tweet from the DbD official account that states as follow:

Untitled Image

notice the post is not talking about any improvement over the current fps on console, just that they apparently acknowledge console need special care for the graphical update.

if BHVR should ever decide to give any new public statement on the matter, it will be posted as a new update.

-----------------


ORIGINAL POST (august 5)

There are plenty of feedback on the optimization sub board but I don't see any reply from BHVR, so, once again:

are you aware that fps on console (PS4, at least) degraded A LOT since 4.1.0 when playing as killer?

Here, I'll post you a video from today on Hawkins, it's basically a slide show every time a survivor is on screen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489

(if it doesn't open: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489)

as a comparison, here's the same map (different killer, but trust me, it's not the Oni the problem), but from one month ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944

(again: direct link is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944)

The frame rate obviously is still far from optimal, but it's a great deal better than how it is now.

Can you, @Peanits , @Almo or whoever else at least say "yes, we know, expect a fix soon / buy a pc you filthy console peasant"?

EDIT: bonus video - Hillbilly on a very open (and not very elaborate, polygonally speaking?) map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvi3tYBSOA

The framerate is certainly better than on Hawkins, but as you can see every time there's a chase, maybe at T-L walls, everything goes south.

Comments

  • Not sure if it's relevant or been said already but you get really nice fps when you play on the tutorial.

  • @ermsy said:

    Not sure if it's relevant or been said already but you get really nice fps when you play on the tutorial.

    Yeah. It should play like that all the time. I've seen others mention and I've noticed myself is that my fps increases as killer after each survivor is killed.

  • Was thinking - if the glowy charms screw up the FPS do glowing totems screw it up too?

  • @ermsy said:

    Not sure if it's relevant or been said already but you get really nice fps when you play on the tutorial.

    There we go,BHVR kept it's promise.

    60 FPS already happens on console (tutorial).

    Guess we can now close this thread finally

    /s

  • Bump. Any increase fog offering destroys the killer fps, along with indoor maps and playing as certain killers like Demo or Doctor.

  • When's 30 pages? This might be the longest thread on these forums

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/7MIYXVPGXBTW/cfa95-gw8aay6-b.jpg

    Behaviour: I have brought new killers, survivors, cosmetics, and tomes to my new game.

    Players: Your new game?

    Behaviour: Don't make me ban you.

    Players: Behaviour, my allegiance is to the frames, to console!

    Behaviour: If you are not consuming, then you are my enemy.

    Players: Only a Dev deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

    Behaviour: You will buy.

    This had me rolling!!!

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/7MIYXVPGXBTW/cfa95-gw8aay6-b.jpg

    Behaviour: I have brought new killers, survivors, cosmetics, and tomes to my new game.

    Players: Your new game?

    Behaviour: Don't make me ban you.

    Players: Behaviour, my allegiance is to the frames, to console!

    Behaviour: If you are not consuming, then you are my enemy.

    Players: Only a Dev deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

    Behaviour: You will buy.

    Hahaha your memes just keep getting better and better. I totally heard Anakin's voice while reading this. Particularly the "don't make me ban you" line 😂

  • I think Devs have some plan for updates and fps especially 60 on consoles just doesn't include this plan. And they silent about it.

  • @ermsy said:

    Not sure if it's relevant or been said already but you get really nice fps when you play on the tutorial.

    lol.

  • @PatBrutal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/179630/bhvr-can-we-acknowledge-fps-on-console-is-awful-since-4-1-0

    Hello!

    Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it.

    Thank you

    Whoah,. It's like Moses come down from the mountain!!! I just hope the news isn't like 40 more years of wandering the 30 fps desert before we can see those Preparation H smooth framerates on console...

  • and back to the front page we go

  • I watched Otz's stream yesterday. Someone mentioned that fps is trash on console. His opinion was that the devs probably can't do much about our hardware limitations. That was kinda funny. I didn't know that DBD is graphically more demanding and beautiful (especially on ps4 pro) than TLOU 2, HZD, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima etc. Didn't seem like a big problem at least to him.

    The problem IS NOT console hardware! The problem is that the devs are incompetent and ignorant. Why isn't a new professional hired to optimize the console version of the game? Current programmers of BHVR obviously ain't capable of that.

  • @Stinde said:

    I watched Otz's stream yesterday. Someone mentioned that fps is trash on console. His opinion was that the devs probably can't do much about our hardware limitations. That was kinda funny. I didn't know that DBD is graphically more demanding and beautiful (especially on ps4 pro) than TLOU 2, HZD, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima etc. Didn't seem like a big problem at least to him.

    The problem IS NOT console hardware! The problem is that the devs are incompetent and ignorant. Why isn't a new professional hired to optimize the console version of the game? Current programmers of BHVR obviously ain't capable of that.

    Even in terms of multiplayer games I play r6s as well which unlike dbd doesn't look like a PS2 game and my FPS there is stable + generally just under 60. It's not a hardware limitation, just a pretty good job so far.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572437#Comment_1572437

    Even in terms of multiplayer games I play r6s as well which unlike dbd doesn't look like a PS2 game and my FPS there is stable + generally just under 60. It's not a hardware limitation, just a pretty good job so far.

    Shhhh, don't give BHVR any ideas, they will blame the lack of optimization on hardware limitations lol

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572437#Comment_1572437

    Even in terms of multiplayer games I play r6s as well which unlike dbd doesn't look like a PS2 game and my FPS there is stable + generally just under 60. It's not a hardware limitation, just a pretty good job so far.

    Same with For Honor and Hunt. Better looking graphics and good, stable fps on both.

    The root of the problem is BHVR, not hardware.

  • @Stinde said:

    I watched Otz's stream yesterday. Someone mentioned that fps is trash on console. His opinion was that the devs probably can't do much about our hardware limitations. That was kinda funny. I didn't know that DBD is graphically more demanding and beautiful (especially on ps4 pro) than TLOU 2, HZD, GoW, Ghost of Tsushima etc. Didn't seem like a big problem at least to him.

    The problem IS NOT console hardware! The problem is that the devs are incompetent and ignorant. Why isn't a new professional hired to optimize the console version of the game? Current programmers of BHVR obviously ain't capable of that.

    Now I love Otz and always wish for the best for him...but how tf is it our hardware limitations?? He does know we have some beautiful games on console much more demanding then dead by daylight in terms of graphics and things going on, on screen.

    Anyone who says this just look at almost any ps4 exclusive title...I assure you its not console limitation its console optimization on the devs side of things.

    Like console isnt that bad guys come on lol. Just take a look at some games it can play for yourself...trust me..haha

  • Has anyone who got the rift got that wraith skin yet? It terrifies me for all the wrong reasons

  • @Aneurysm said:

    Has anyone who got the rift got that wraith skin yet? It terrifies me for all the wrong reasons

    Yes,but i'm definetely not gonna use the head because i don't want to lose even more FPS lol

  • Honestly, if they just remove the fog or heavily reduce it, it would help a lot with the frames.

    I know BHVR want easy solutions, I think simply disabling fog would be a way to go.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Honestly, if they just remove the fog or heavily reduce it, it would help a lot with the frames.

    I know BHVR want easy solutions, I think simply disabling fog would be a way to go.

    Oh yeah i mean they removed moon offerings because it screwed too much with the lighting.

    Maybe they should do the same with fog offerings...make it a dev tweakable only thing like if they want a map to be slightly foggier then another its up to them not the player. Have it be a dev creative choice like if they want certain spots a little foggy ..instead of a player choice.

    Also I plead again...fix the memory leak introduced with the stranger things chapter. @Devs

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572626#Comment_1572626

    Oh yeah i mean they removed moon offerings because it screwed too much with the lighting.

    Maybe they should do the same with fog offerings...make it a dev tweakable only thing like if they want a map to be slightly foggier then another its up to them not the player. Have it be a dev creative choice like if they want certain spots a little foggy ..instead of a player choice.

    Also I plead again...fix the memory leak introduced with the stranger things chapter. @Devs

    Can't wait for PC players to realise FPS issues and spam mist offerings and lerys offerings.

    That'll be fun.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572905#Comment_1572905

    Can't wait for PC players to realise FPS issues and spam mist offerings and lerys offerings.

    That'll be fun.

    Yeah I'm not doing crossplay as killer with console in this state. Don't need to either with the queue times.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572908#Comment_1572908

    Yeah I'm not doing crossplay as killer with console in this state. Don't need to either with the queue times.

    Hows that going for ya? About the same queue times?

    I have it still enabled bc im not really feeling a big difference against the survivors I face.

    Mostly still potatoes. But I gotta deal with bad frames as killer and decent frames as survs so it feels the same cause i still get fps drops no matter the survivor I face.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572437#Comment_1572437

    Even in terms of multiplayer games I play r6s as well which unlike dbd doesn't look like a PS2 game and my FPS there is stable + generally just under 60. It's not a hardware limitation, just a pretty good job so far.

    This.

    I played BF1 bad BFV for quite a long time, and they run pretty smoothly compared to DBD.

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572913#Comment_1572913

    Hows that going for ya? About the same queue times?

    I have it still enabled bc im not really feeling a big difference against the survivors I face.

    Mostly still potatoes. But I gotta deal with bad frames as killer and decent frames as survs so it feels the same cause i still get fps drops no matter the survivor I face.

    Queue times slightly longer, i.e. not instant anymore. But that's fine, with xplay on as survivor those queues are much quicker so it's a net win

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572437#Comment_1572437

    Even in terms of multiplayer games I play r6s as well which unlike dbd doesn't look like a PS2 game and my FPS there is stable + generally just under 60. It's not a hardware limitation, just a pretty good job so far.

    DBD's engine is garbage... Those games engine isn't... I guess the only fix for our problem is an engine change but that's impossible i guess...

    I'm losing hope here

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572939#Comment_1572939

    Queue times slightly longer, i.e. not instant anymore. But that's fine, with xplay on as survivor those queues are much quicker so it's a net win

    Oh then in a way. That is a plus. Cause surv queues can be unbearable at times unless im surfing reddit or youtube.

  • What about this 250k BP gift??? Do they think we will be happy receiving gifts or do they think we are going to forget the framerate problem?

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572939#Comment_1572939

    Queue times slightly longer, i.e. not instant anymore. But that's fine, with xplay on as survivor those queues are much quicker so it's a net win

    Maybe BHVR will wake up when they notice how many players have disabled cross-play due to framerate issues on console.

  • Overwatch on Ps4: my screen is covered in all colours of the rainbow while in a Teamfight and I dont have frame drops.

    DBD on Ps4: Loading screen has lags XD

  • Thowing my hat into this as a fellow PS4 player and keeping the thread alive. Reading through this thread, the devs really need to stop hiding away and actually just face the facts. We're pissed and we want some answers. The longer they ignore this, the worse they make it for themselves. If they just acknowledged the fact we just want a decent FPS then we'd be happy.

    What I found funny as well, was I saw a post about Otz saying that the hardware was the issue. Now, I'm no tech jocky here, and couldn't tell you the difference between a graphics card and a bank card, but let's just put this out here. The Witcher 3, released 2015. Absolutely gorgeous game, amazing graphics, STABLE FPS, and giant world. DbD, released 2016 (Consoles 2017), causes consoles to become planes in loading screens and menus, FPS gets scared when Demo growls, FPS dies on Lery's or any indoor map. Sure, you can say the Witcher Devs are more experienced, and I'm sure they are, but whats the excuse? Anyone whos played the Witcher series knows how huge the game is, but DbD isn't even close to it's size. Maybe 10% of it. So how can the game run so god damn awful?

    TLDR: Older games run better than DbD and the Devs need to stop hiding and start answering our questions.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572571#Comment_1572571

    Yeah, I mean, there are two factors in frame rate - how demanding the game is and how strong your hardware is. You can really blame it on either or both and you wouldn't be wrong; it's just a matter of perspective. In this case, though, I don't like Otz's take.

    If even a consistent 30 FPS on console weren't feasible, BHVR should not have brought the game to console in the first place. If they said "Sorry community, the current generation of consoles are just too weak to run DBD. We're excited to bring it to next gen consoles!" then I'd respect that. The second they launched on console though, they're either saying 1) This is going to be a steaming pile of ######### but people will still buy it so we don't care or 2) Performance may be poor now, but a consistent 30 FPS is feasible and we will get there soon. If 1) it's BHVR's fault; they're greedy and deserve hate. If 2) it's also BHVR's fault; stable performance should be feasible, but they've had years to work on it and performance is worse than ever. Maybe they were wrong in their initial assessment and it was just a mistake from too much optimism, but that would still be their fault.

    I have yet to play a game on Unreal 4 that doesn't run like crap (hello Borderlands 3!), so it's possible that the engine is just very demanding and it's hard to bring frame rate to an acceptable level. Still, I don't buy that. If the performance issues are that serious, why did BHVR switch engines to Unreal 4 in the first place? Is increased visual fidelity really worth an unplayable frame rate and (probably) a huge amount of dev time to switch engines?

    At the end of the day, my personal take is that it should be entirely possible for a game that looks like this to run well on console. Something as simple as a status effect shouldn't cause the whole game to freeze for a half second, even on PCs that can maintain 60 FPS. Like, I used Lithe and am now exhausted. You now need to add an icon to my HUD, start a timer, and disable one of my perks until the timer runs out. That's it. How tf is that enough to freeze the game for a half second? A calculator should be able to do that without much trouble :(

    This. All this juciness.

  • Honestly I don’t think they will ever fix the frames

  • @SpiritLover1133 said:

    Honestly I don’t think they will ever fix the frames

    But you can bet they will continue to churn out overpriced legendary cosmetics, priorities...

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1573447#Comment_1573447

    But you can bet they will continue to churn out overpriced legendary cosmetics, priorities...

    i would totally be fine to a get a non stable 60 FPS that degrades after playing for at least 2 hours rather than starting with 30 frames than degrades to 15 ( Im using the 2016 version of PS4 and the frame rate are HORRIBLE)

  • Bet there's some sort of memory leaks in something, and they just can't find it, would sorta make sense since every new patch brings new bugs cause they're using guesswork to find them.

  • @Mikeasaurus said:

    Thowing my hat into this as a fellow PS4 player and keeping the thread alive. Reading through this thread, the devs really need to stop hiding away and actually just face the facts. We're pissed and we want some answers. The longer they ignore this, the worse they make it for themselves. If they just acknowledged the fact we just want a decent FPS then we'd be happy.

    What I found funny as well, was I saw a post about Otz saying that the hardware was the issue. Now, I'm no tech jocky here, and couldn't tell you the difference between a graphics card and a bank card, but let's just put this out here. The Witcher 3, released 2015. Absolutely gorgeous game, amazing graphics, STABLE FPS, and giant world. DbD, released 2016 (Consoles 2017), causes consoles to become planes in loading screens and menus, FPS gets scared when Demo growls, FPS dies on Lery's or any indoor map. Sure, you can say the Witcher Devs are more experienced, and I'm sure they are, but whats the excuse? Anyone whos played the Witcher series knows how huge the game is, but DbD isn't even close to it's size. Maybe 10% of it. So how can the game run so god damn awful?

    TLDR: Older games run better than DbD and the Devs need to stop hiding and start answering our questions.

    Newer games like The Last of Us Part II, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, and RDR 2 don't have these problems. All of these games are huge with outstanding visuals and attention to detail on PS4. Hell, TLOU2 was designed to run on a base model PS4. There is no way that the current consoles should struggle this much with something as simple as DBD (even though most the games I mentioned started out as or still are PS4 exclusives, it can't be that much easier to optimize them) unless the devs are just lazy/don't care or just has little to no experience working with consoles. I think this is BHVR's first big multiplayer game.

    PS: All of my RDR 2 experience comes from what I've read and watched. I haven't played the game yet.

  • Hel it might just be the blood effect from deep wound on your screen

  • They might just have to do a bunch of patches trying to fix it and get some people on ps4 to test it.

  • We all want console optimizations, but y’all need to quit flaming the cosmetics- those bring in money, and money will be needed to fix these problems. The last thing you should want is for them to decrease their income to get what you want, income = motivation. Plus people keep pointing out the separate teams on each. Tweaking or overhauling the entire game engine is gonna be a very time consuming and expensive task, honestly I don’t expect them to do it at all with new consoles in the horizon. And best believe the problem is the game engine- not minor visual effects or console hardware.

  • Yes, but a tiny memory leak can be a HUGE problem

  • Let us pray....

    We humble consolers pray for our frames, the frames of our friends and family, the frames of our neighbors, and most especially the frames of our brother and sister Switchers.

    We humble consolers ferverantly wish the mighty devs hear our prayers, and love our platforms as they love their child, DBD.

  • @Seiji212 said:

    We all want console optimizations, but y’all need to quit flaming the cosmetics- those bring in money, and money will be needed to fix these problems. The last thing you should want is for them to decrease their income to get what you want, income = motivation. Plus people keep pointing out the separate teams on each. Tweaking or overhauling the entire game engine is gonna be a very time consuming and expensive task, honestly I don’t expect them to do it at all with new consoles in the horizon. And best believe the problem is the game engine- not minor visual effects or console hardware.

    Are you actually joking? Do you know how many cosmetics are in the store? 1,381. 595 to Killers, 786 to Survivors. Then let's also account for DLC. Oh, and lets not also forget that Battle Pass that requires someone to spend real cash to buy Auric Cells to get it. Yeah, BHVR must be really finding that income tough to spread out a little to consoles.

  • @Mikeasaurus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1573504#Comment_1573504

    Are you actually joking? Do you know how many cosmetics are in the store? 1,381. 595 to Killers, 786 to Survivors. Then let's also account for DLC. Oh, and lets not also forget that Battle Pass that requires someone to spend real cash to buy Auric Cells to get it. Yeah, BHVR must be really finding that income tough to spread out a little to consoles.

    Not so simple. Again engine tweaks are time consuming and expensive. Hell, even console updates can be costly and they do those regularly. Many games can’t or won’t- go ask thefunpimps. That’s my whole point, what is being asked is neither easy or simple to accomplish, and I see no reason for bhvr to stop everything they’re doing, which would neglect their original platform, until the problem gets fixed. If it even will, frankly. Some realism needs to be factored in to the situation and making it out like the devs can clearly resolve this issue just because you see a steady stream of new content, well those are separate things and they’re not as cleanly connected as many people seem to think. I’m not joking, I just have a healthy understanding of how game design tends to work. They’re doing better than many others out there.

  • If I can have 60fps games run with stunning HDR graphics in 4k on my Xbox one X


    Is it too much to ask for 30FPS solid on DBD?

  • @Stinde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1572456#Comment_1572456

    Same with For Honor and Hunt. Better looking graphics and good, stable fps on both.

    The root of the problem is BHVR, not hardware.

    This

  • @Seiji212 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1573548#Comment_1573548

    Not so simple. Again engine tweaks are time consuming and expensive. Hell, even console updates can be costly and they do those regularly. Many games can’t or won’t- go ask thefunpimps. That’s my whole point, what is being asked is neither easy or simple to accomplish, and I see no reason for bhvr to stop everything they’re doing, which would neglect their original platform, until the problem gets fixed. If it even will, frankly. Some realism needs to be factored in to the situation and making it out like the devs can clearly resolve this issue just because you see a steady stream of new content, well those are separate things and they’re not as cleanly connected as many people seem to think. I’m not joking, I just have a healthy understanding of how game design tends to work. They’re doing better than many others out there.

    I don't see how this is relevant to the thread. The point is performance has taken a hit with every patch and we haven't had any update from BHVR regarding optimization since March 2019. The game is borderline playable on indoor maps which is unacceptable for an online only game in 2020.

  • @Seiji212 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1573548#Comment_1573548

    Not so simple. Again engine tweaks are time consuming and expensive. Hell, even console updates can be costly and they do those regularly. Many games can’t or won’t- go ask thefunpimps. That’s my whole point, what is being asked is neither easy or simple to accomplish, and I see no reason for bhvr to stop everything they’re doing, which would neglect their original platform, until the problem gets fixed. If it even will, frankly. Some realism needs to be factored in to the situation and making it out like the devs can clearly resolve this issue just because you see a steady stream of new content, well those are separate things and they’re not as cleanly connected as many people seem to think. I’m not joking, I just have a healthy understanding of how game design tends to work. They’re doing better than many others out there.

    Right, so you think that a game that has been out for 4 years (3 Years console) that has so many bugs that they're now just features, they release a DLC every 3 months without fail resulting in more bugs, release cosmetics every other week and constantly ignore players actual feedback is fine? I've watched some of their Q&A streams and they literally cherry pick the yes/no questions. They blatantly ignore the legitimate questions about issues in the game. This whole thread is an example. Where has a Dev even spoken to anyone? I don't deny the game takes time and money to change but 4 years is no excuse. This game is basically EA. They want us to pay more and more for features they add, but where are the bug fixes we ask for? Where are the optimizations we need? You can't just release the game to consoles then decide you prefer PC better. We paid money for a game that should be in working order, yet it breaks more and more everyday. Console Optimization was promised to use LAST YEAR and where is it? Did we hear anything about it? No, which in turn annoys more and more people because of the lack of communication. If the devs actually just said 'We're working on it, here's X of what we've done', I 100% guarantee that everyone would accept it and be happy that we know at least something. The simple fact is, the Devs pick and choose what they remain silent over and what the scream from the heavens about. It's a complete joke.

1 … 12 13 14 15 16 … 21