About THE twitter post from the dev team

image.png

So will the developers literally out every characters' sexuality? Or will the whole situation be over with "his/her boyfriend/girlfriend" mentions in the archives? I mean, if it's the second one, they kinda made quite a big announcement for that topic, it's not that much of a big deal (but it's a really good advertisement, I guess). The reason the post looks so odd is because the game's lore never had any kind of noticeable romantic plot (except for Julie and Frank but it is the only love story in the game).

I can read the post as "we are no longer afraid to mention gay relationships". Sooo, yeah...

Comments

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347190#Comment_1347190

    It's just how forced it is. I hate when things happen just because it needs to. It's not natural. I would not care if the next character was briefly mentioned to be gay in the lore put this is too forced it annoys me

    And why did you decide that everything will be like "HEY GUYS LOOK A GAY PERSON ISN'T THAT DIVERSE ARE ALL YOU GAY PEOPLE BUYING ARE STUFF. IS IT NOT GAY ENOUGH OK HERE'S MORE LOOK HE'S GOT A SWEATER WITH RAINBOW ON IT AND SHORT SHORTS ON"?

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347194#Comment_1347194

    Anything can be joked about. That's the rule of comedy. How about another joke WRUSSOW?

    I dare you to joke about plantations and black people as a white person.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347207#Comment_1347207

    As long as they keep it low key and naturally flow without affecting anything I really won't care

    So that's a yes? I asked you a yes/no question.

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347073#Comment_1347073

    But how do you distinguish when a character with different sexuality is added because "why not" and when a character with different sexuality is added because "oh, this will make the game more popular"?

    With BHVR it didnt appear too much in their letter. Some companies flat out say it, which is the big difference. If you are gonna do it just do it and noone really cares 🤷‍♂️. Iunno maybe im just crazy

  • Which part depends? Are you not complaining about something they haven't done because they might do it in a way you don't like? Did you not say that everyone else is making a big deal out of it?

  • @SquirrelKnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347087#Comment_1347087

    With BHVR it didnt appear too much in their letter. Some companies flat out say it, which is the big difference. If you are gonna do it just do it and noone really cares 🤷‍♂️. Iunno maybe im just crazy

    We have three threads full of people showing how much they care about this. BHVR makes announcements for things they intend to add to the game all the time, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

  • You're not, though. You explicitly said they were going to be shoving things down your throat and creating a bunch of cosmetics. That's not "voicing concerns".

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347207#Comment_1347207

    As long as they keep it low key and naturally flow without affecting anything I really won't care

    It doesn't affect you in anyway even if they made a big announcement in all caps on twitter saying: DWIGHT IS NOW GAY! LORE HAS BEEN CHANGED ACCORDINGLY!

    You still have the same perks, same items, same addons, same gameplay as you have now.

  • The majority of people are white there, it's a coin flip I did here. If you were black, you wouldn't have felt the need to write the comment, you'd have straight up state it as me being wrong. So now I know for sure that you're white. Still, I'm waiting for the joke. Or all of a sudden you feel so uncomfortable about it that you put your focus exclusively on my statement that you're white?

  • Okay then as an Irish person to an Irish person, I dare you to joke about the Magdaline laundries and the Tuam baby scandal :)

    Or maybe the omagh bombing :))

  • Theres no problem with lgbtq characters. Hell i would argue that a select minority of the playerbase even cares about it. I would also argue that if they just put a gay character in the game, hardly anyone would have said a thing.

    When they created the nurse or legion, there wasnt an announcement like hey look at us! We created a relationship to tell a story to flesh out and make the character interesting.

    Want a gay character make a gay character. Why throw a billboard up? Theres no point except to pander to the 'woke' crowd.

    Again, i don't care what they want to do as i could care less what people do with their own bodies. I just love this game and don't want to fail due to the all too common, 'Get woke, go broke' curse.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347248#Comment_1347248

    Maybe he wouldn't want to play a game run by sheep. I'm not speaking for him, just stating one of the reasons people may be concerned.

    I'm sorry, I don't follow what you mean by playing a game run by a sheep?

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Theres no problem with lgbtq characters. Hell i would argue that a select minority of the playerbase even cares about it. I would also argue that if they just put a gay character in the game, hardly anyone would have said a thing.

    When they created the nurse or legion, there wasnt an announcement like hey look at us! We created a relationship to tell a story to flesh out and make the character interesting.

    Want a gay character make a gay character. Why throw a billboard up? Theres no point except to pander to the 'woke' crowd.

    Again, i don't care what they want to do as i could care less what people do with their own bodies. I just love this game and don't want to fail due to the all too common, 'Get woke, go broke' curse.

    Yes, the curse of "only make over a billion dollars at the box office". Terrible, terrible curse.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347248#Comment_1347248

    And now I'm rolling my eyes at the stupidity of a political agenda being pushed on us to sell more. it's not bad it's just mildly annoying

    Straight people = not political. LGBTQ = political. Heard you loud and clear.

  • @hahadrillgobrrr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347254#Comment_1347254

    I'm sorry, I don't follow what you mean by playing a game run by a sheep?

    If the devs are only adding the character because they want to pander to a certain group or be accepted by the 'woke' culture, that makes them sheep. If they want to add a character because they created a neat story line, then be my guest.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347262#Comment_1347262

    If the devs are only adding the character because they want to pander to a certain group or be accepted by the 'woke' culture, that makes them sheep. If they want to add a character because they created a neat story line, then be my guest.

    And I'm guessing you're a mind reader or will hook the devs up to a polygraph (that actually works)?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347279#Comment_1347279

    And I'm guessing you're a mind reader or will hook the devs up to a polygraph (that actually works)?

    I don't have to be. The devs made their motives clear by the Twitter post.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347255#Comment_1347255

    Well there's a difference between slavery terrorist attacks and someone being gay

    You're now protecting yourself, end of the story. Learn as a fact that you can't casually joke about some issues. To add more, your joke before didn't even have anything to say it was a joke. You expect people to think that a sentence without any humor context is a joke? That's quite pathetic. Plus, the sentence was't even relatively funny. It's not even subjective.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    You honestly give too much credit to homophobic trolls if you think they're going to memorise which character is on the LGBT spectrum.

    I remember a similar thing was said when they revealed soldier to be gay in overwatch it was a hot button topic for about a month before everybody just shut up about it.

    The people who actually cared about the story and lore got a nice little bit insight.

    The people who just care about the gameplay you just played the game.

    The people who are whining about how it ruined the character end up giving up because they know realised no one was listening to them.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347281#Comment_1347281

    I don't have to be. The devs made their motives clear by the Twitter post.

    Indeed. They realized that their actions hadn't matched their words, so they admitted that and said they would no longer just be adding heterosexual relationships because they want to add more non-heterosexual relationships since that's their current vision for the game. I'm glad we agree that they're not trying to pander to non-heterosexuals.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347257#Comment_1347257

    Yes, the curse of "only make over a billion dollars at the box office". Terrible, terrible curse.

    You got captain marvel I'll give you that. But then look at what star wars has become. Batwoman and Supergirl on CW. 2016 Ghostbusters. Female oceans movie. New Charies angels. When i say 'get woke go broke' it encompasses all the Social Justice for no reason OTHER than Social Justice stuff.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Theres no problem with lgbtq characters. Hell i would argue that a select minority of the playerbase even cares about it. I would also argue that if they just put a gay character in the game, hardly anyone would have said a thing.

    When they created the nurse or legion, there wasnt an announcement like hey look at us! We created a relationship to tell a story to flesh out and make the character interesting.

    Want a gay character make a gay character. Why throw a billboard up? Theres no point except to pander to the 'woke' crowd.

    Again, i don't care what they want to do as i could care less what people do with their own bodies. I just love this game and don't want to fail due to the all too common, 'Get woke, go broke' curse.

    I agree with this person, if they wanted to make a gay character, then do it, whatever, they just didn't REALLY need to make that post for any reason other than attention gathering.

    This is a cool thing they're doing, yes, but don't say "hey, I'm doing it, look!"

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347253#Comment_1347253

    Look I know i said anything can be joked about. Like in some shows I'll laugh at a 911 joke but I'm not getting banned for saying a joke

    Okay, your joke was bad. You were not funny. You failed to make anyone laugh. Humor is subjective, sure, but some attempts of jokes are objectively not funny. Continue joking like that and intelligent people won't be hanging around you.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Theres no problem with lgbtq characters. Hell i would argue that a select minority of the playerbase even cares about it. I would also argue that if they just put a gay character in the game, hardly anyone would have said a thing.

    When they created the nurse or legion, there wasnt an announcement like hey look at us! We created a relationship to tell a story to flesh out and make the character interesting.

    Want a gay character make a gay character. Why throw a billboard up? Theres no point except to pander to the 'woke' crowd.

    Again, i don't care what they want to do as i could care less what people do with their own bodies. I just love this game and don't want to fail due to the all too common, 'Get woke, go broke' curse.

    Because throwing the billboard up gives exposure to a cause this is all about. If people were widely accepted, there wouldn't be the need for pride months and other movements concerning other minorities. Every year this same debate goes over and over. It would be best to things to get to a point where people wouldn't so strongly oppose these kind of things. It would be best that movements wouldn't be needed. It is tiring for everyone involved.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347264#Comment_1347264

    You got captain marvel I'll give you that. But then look at what star wars has become. Batwoman and Supergirl on CW. 2016 Ghostbusters. Female oceans movie. New Charies angels. When i say 'get woke go broke' it encompasses all the Social Justice for no reason OTHER than Social Justice stuff.

    Do you have any idea how much money Star Wars made at the box office?

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347288#Comment_1347288

    It's pretty subjective. Saying "my boy David would never be gays he's too manly" how does that not sound like a joke. It's a fictional character and I'm speaking as if he actually existed and had real feelings. I think that's a joke

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347283#Comment_1347283

    Indeed. They realized that their actions hadn't matched their words, so they admitted that and said they would no longer just be adding heterosexual relationships because they want to add more non-heterosexual relationships since that's their current vision for the game. I'm glad we agree that they're not trying to pander to non-heterosexuals.

    No, the fact they announced it on Twitter proves it was pandering. Didn't think I'd have to spell it out for you.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    You're a drama queen aren't you? Lol.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347255#Comment_1347255

    Well there's a difference between slavery terrorist attacks and someone being gay

    No no now this is what you said word for word

    "Anything can be joked about. That's the rule of comedy"

    Now if the issue is that you don't want to be banned for it I'm completly up for giving you my social media so you can share :)

    And just because the harm is to a lesser extent does not make it okay. It wasn't just about "someone being gay" and the fact that that's all it is in your eyes says a lot about how little you understand about struggles in the gay community that you joke about.

    I think the biggest point of this is it's so easy to make actual good jokes for one that aren't about serious issues and struggles but you'll still 'joke' about it anyway

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347295#Comment_1347295

    No, the fact they announced it on Twitter proves it was pandering. Didn't think I'd have to spell it out for you.

    They announced that they realized they'd been adding heterosexual relationships even though they'd previously said they didn't want to explicitly mention characters' sexual orientations at all. Since their vision changed, they're gonna go "all in" on this and reveal more orientations, keeping in mind that the characters do have them, they just weren't always mentioned. That is, quite literally, what they spelled out.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347300#Comment_1347300

    Do you have any idea how much money Star Wars made at the box office?

    Do you relaize that outside of rottin tomatoes the fans absolutely hated it? Why toys stopped selling. Why the disney park stuggled?

    Look at marvel comic book sales. They are the definition of get woke go broke.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347262#Comment_1347262

    If the devs are only adding the character because they want to pander to a certain group or be accepted by the 'woke' culture, that makes them sheep. If they want to add a character because they created a neat story line, then be my guest.

    We don't know what is their reasoning. We can only speculate.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347288#Comment_1347288

    It's pretty subjective. Saying "my boy David would never be gays he's too manly" how does that not sound like a joke. It's a fictional character and I'm speaking as if he actually existed and had real feelings. I think that's a joke

    It doesn't look like a joke. Get over it. You failed to add anything for people to realize you were joking.

    The main point of your sentence is that a character/person can't be gay because he is too manly. Not that all of a sudden a fictional character has some feelings. Word sentences properly then to represent an idea you want to share.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347308#Comment_1347308

    Do you relaize that outside of rottin tomatoes the fans absolutely hated it? Why toys stopped selling. Why the disney park stuggled?

    Look at marvel comic book sales. They are the definition of get woke go broke.

    So why do companies keep doing it, if indeed it always spells doom? Are you saying companies are intentionally burning their money on useless ventures?

  • Yeah this thread is a ######### show. One of the mods should lock this thread as it has devolved into attacks on other people.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347124#Comment_1347124

    If you don't care, it won't affect your enjoyment. We have heterosexual relationships shoved down our throats already and I didn't see you complain. Blatant pandering to heterosexuals is everywhere.

    Not to be rude or anything, but where are you seeing heterosexual relationships in this game? The only one I can think of is Julie and Frank, and maybe The Nurse and The Wraith (but idk if thats one's confirmed).

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347330#Comment_1347330

    Or you could stop being so butthurt and lighten up for once. It was just a joke. Like here's a good one "keys"

    The joke was about fictional character having serious nearly real-life feelings? "my boy David would never be gays he's too manly" The main and the only idea of the sentence to say that someone can't be gay for being too manly. Did you fail English classes? Your intentions and the result do not match because you failed to word it properly.

    "The feelings of my manly character David are probably so real that the devs are obligated to reveal that he's not into males!" It still has "he's too manly to be gay" but at least it now kinda represents the main point you tried to make jokingly. Learn to write.

  • @NightmareReborn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347130#Comment_1347130

    Not to be rude or anything, but where are you seeing heterosexual relationships in this game? The only one I can think of is Julie and Frank, and maybe The Nurse and The Wraith (but idk if thats one's confirmed).

    The Nurse's backstory literally mentions her husband. Many characters have such lines in their lore, which is what we should expect for LGBT characters as well.

  • @Cancan71 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347339#Comment_1347339

    Yeah this thread is a ######### show. One of the mods should lock this thread as it has devolved into attacks on other people.

    I agree.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347373#Comment_1347373

    I would hate having to dumb down everything for everyone. It's called subtlety

    I have no words... Noone will get this "subtlety" without context and proper wording. You had neither. Not even the smartest person will understand you. English isn't my mother tongue but even I can see that you, as a person who speaks it, worded your "joke" poorly. You literally missed a good chuck of information for people to understand your statement you have written jokingly. Stop, I can see that you're defending yourself in the silliest ways possible.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347404#Comment_1347404

    Why are we still arguing over nothing can we just call it a day and say the joke was fine but wasn't that funny holy crap

    That's because you refuse to acknowledge that the "joke" wasn't even funny at slightest to begin with because noone even got it was a joke. Instead of apologizing, you wrote "the joke was fine but wasn't that funny". It wasn't fine, it wasn't funny. And you refuse to acknowledge that you failed to make it clear the topic of your joke. You insist that it's still somehow funny when it only caused negative reactions and indulgent reactions at best. Instead of learning from your mistakes or attempting to rephrase your "joke", you wrote "It's called subtlety". Didn't know that the disability to write properly is called subtlety now.

    Just for you to know, ignorant people cause a lot of negative reactions. If you want to stop being in the spotlight of all the discussions, stop being ignorant. As long as you publicly cherish your ego, it will only get worse.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347370#Comment_1347370

    The Nurse's backstory literally mentions her husband. Many characters have such lines in their lore, which is what we should expect for LGBT characters as well.

    Why do you need representation in a survival horror game? It's just unnecessary.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347322#Comment_1347322

    So why do companies keep doing it, if indeed it always spells doom? Are you saying companies are intentionally burning their money on useless ventures?

    How to answer this without the tinfoil hat?

    Some have an agenda. Some are scared. Antarctic Press comic book companies. They are independant and agreed to publish a book by an author who criticized the direction of marvel and DC when they started hiring to fill quotas rather than for talent.

    President of Antarctic Press started receiving death threats for agreeing to publish that author.

    Cancel culture. Anyone who disagrees with the agenda, or fails to toe the line gets 'canceled'. Recently Drew Brees for proclaiming his love for the flag. Actor on the Flash got fired for 8 year old tweets. Tucker Carlson lost 2 major sponsors for disagreeing with BLM.

    Long story short, despite the fact that many of the agenda driven products are not being consumed by the public, speaking out against it gets you in trouble.

    This doesnt make much sense i dont think. I sometimes have problems explaining things. Just know, nothing i say comes from a place of hate.

  • @BadDocter said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347374#Comment_1347374

    Why do you need representation in a survival horror game? It's just unnecessary.

    Why do you need representation in a survival horror game? I agree that it's unnecessary, but if they already included heterosexual relationships, they might as well go all in.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347438#Comment_1347438

    Why do you need representation in a survival horror game? I agree that it's unnecessary, but if they already included heterosexual relationships, they might as well go all in.

    I would be fine with that as long as they don't suddenly make an established character gay for the sake of being gay instead they should make a new one but being gay should not be their defining characteristic.

  • @BadDocter said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347443#Comment_1347443

    I would be fine with that as long as they don't suddenly make an established character gay for the sake of being gay instead they should make a new one but being gay should not be their defining characteristic.

    There are many established characters without any hints as to their sexual orientation. No prior relationships, nothing. Even those that do have them could still be bisexual (yup, those are a thing).

  • @BadDocter said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347443#Comment_1347443

    I would be fine with that as long as they don't suddenly make an established character gay for the sake of being gay instead they should make a new one but being gay should not be their defining characteristic.

    Why do you think that a whole character's personality would be about being gay??? Have you finished Jane Romero's lore?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347462#Comment_1347462

    There are many established characters without any hints as to their sexual orientation. No prior relationships, nothing. Even those that do have them could still be bisexual (yup, those are a thing).

    Sexual orientation is really not necessary i would rather that be unknown since its irrelevant.

  • @BadDocter said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347465#Comment_1347465

    Sexual orientation is really not necessary i would rather that be unknown since its irrelevant.

    It can go as background information. For example, David's lore stated that he had a girlfriend. She was mentioned to show that even the love interest refused to take care of him, not the fact that he's in a straight relationship. You just choose between boyfriend/girlfriend, it doesn't change a thing.

1 2 3