About THE twitter post from the dev team

image.png

So will the developers literally out every characters' sexuality? Or will the whole situation be over with "his/her boyfriend/girlfriend" mentions in the archives? I mean, if it's the second one, they kinda made quite a big announcement for that topic, it's not that much of a big deal (but it's a really good advertisement, I guess). The reason the post looks so odd is because the game's lore never had any kind of noticeable romantic plot (except for Julie and Frank but it is the only love story in the game).

I can read the post as "we are no longer afraid to mention gay relationships". Sooo, yeah...

Comments

  • Can I just say I am super-glad to see another thread pop up instead of a reply to the two existing ones on the front page? Man, I was almost worried there for a second.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    We don't "pretty good job so far" in 2020.

  • @Rydog said:

    Can I just say I am super-glad to see another thread pop up instead of a reply to the two existing ones on the front page? Man, I was almost worried there for a second.

    It would not be the DBD-Forum if there would not be at least 10 Threads about the same topic.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    Its not gonna happen. That's just going to be the go-to complaint. A survivor will play a character, and say that its harassment that they got killed and say its the killers homophobia instead of the survivor tbagging at every pallet.

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/MXDLPWBY7ZF6/image.png

    So will the developers literally out every characters' sexuality? Or will the whole situation be over with "his/her boyfriend/girlfriend" mentions in the archives? I mean, if it's the second one, they kinda made quite a big announcement for that topic, it's not that much of a big deal (but it's a really good advertisement, I guess). The reason the post looks so odd is because the game's lore never had any kind of noticeable romantic plot (except for Julie and Frank but it is the only love story in the game).

    I can read the post as "we are no longer afraid to mention gay relationships". Sooo, yeah...


    I really don't like that they make an announcement for this.Sounds like they are gonna put a gay/lesbian character in the game for the sake of being gay/lesbian.They should have made it more subtle by giving hints in the backstory or maybe some cosmetics.

  • @Rydog said:

    Can I just say I am super-glad to see another thread pop up instead of a reply to the two existing ones on the front page? Man, I was almost worried there for a second.

    I only saw 1 thread talking about it and I got really confused because I didn't see the twit from the devs. I thought it would be a better thing to create a thread with the twit because I saw only 1 thread.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    I mean, I have never heard the argument that someone got morid because they were playing as a black Character (well, except for Blendettes, but thats not because of the Skin Color).

    So I highly doubt that players will start to bring Moris, just because someone is playing a Survivor who is gay.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1346984#Comment_1346984

    I mean, I have never heard the argument that someone got morid because they were playing as a black Character (well, except for Blendettes, but thats not because of the Skin Color).

    So I highly doubt that players will start to bring Moris, just because someone is playing a Survivor who is gay.

    I have absolutely had people tell me they mori'd me because of Claudette's skin color. It's not rampant or anything, but I have seen it happen.

  • @Straiden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1346993#Comment_1346993

    Not sure who "we" are but every major streamer and several post game chats do. Might want to pull your lexicon out and rewrite that.

    Sorry, I just got fed up with this phrase. It's been around for how long now?? Every Dead by Daylight creator used it so much, I literally feel like an infected survivor after seeing it over and over again.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    I see it as more pandering rather than diversity. Let's be honest if you're looking for "representation" dbd shouldn't be the game to go to. You don't see me begging and complaining that there isn't an Irish survivor so pushing political agendas in games really shouldn't be as common as it is. But that's just my opinion

    Caleb's Irish. :P

  • @Rydog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347013#Comment_1347013

    I have absolutely had people tell me they mori'd me because of Claudette's skin color. It's not rampant or anything, but I have seen it happen.

    The only time I have seen that happen was because it was a Blendette and the Killer does not like Blendettes who let their team die and want to hide all game, because it is boring as hell. Sure, the Skin Color is a factor (if she would not have that Skin Color, she would not be able to blend), but it was not the main reason, the main reason was what she is doing with her Skin Color.

    @Straiden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347013#Comment_1347013

    I have reported several people for claiming they always load moris for black and Asian characters. Guess you are lucky.

    Yeah, I guess. Like I said, I have never experienced that. And it is a stupid reason to mori Survivors, thats for sure.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347024#Comment_1347024

    Yeah but less imagine he didn't exist. This irish American rootin tootin cowboy isn't the most Irish thing I've ever seen but it really doesn't matter

    I will not imagine he doesn't exist. :P Caleb's Irish.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    I see it as more pandering rather than diversity. Let's be honest if you're looking for "representation" dbd shouldn't be the game to go to. You don't see me begging and complaining that there isn't an Irish survivor so pushing political agendas in games really shouldn't be as common as it is. But that's just my opinion

    Yes, the political agenda of "this character happens to have this characteristic". Who can forget the Hillbilly, for example, who only exists to pander to people from rural areas?

  • @Straiden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347032#Comment_1347032

    I just think there is no reason for any character to ha e their sexuality focused on. It is an avenue for grief in a game meant to be a mass murder simulation. Has zero to do with the game. Don't give people the extra avenue to be pigs. BHVR. never thinks of consequences though.

    I agree. That's why I want all characters to be shapeless, transparent blobs with no backstory whatsoever. I mean, why do characters have to have their overall body shape, species, and skin color focused on? They're just avenues for griefing.

  • If the argument from people is to play a character they identify with, doesn't this mean some people might not be able to enjoy playing a character they previously mained if the character is changed to not represent them?

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347048#Comment_1347048

    That's not how they'll do it. Hillbilly just so happened to be from the country. If they add an openly gay character it's all their lore and cosmetics will be about while shoving all of this pc stuff down our throats. They won't make a character that happens to be gay. They'll make a gay person that happens to be a character

    You know you don't have to play a certain character, read lore, or wear certain cosmetics if you don't want to, right?

    I do wonder where your outrage was when they shoved heterosexual relationships down our throats, though.

  • @Straiden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347032#Comment_1347032

    I just think there is no reason for any character to ha e their sexuality focused on. It is an avenue for grief in a game meant to be a mass murder simulation. Has zero to do with the game. Don't give people the extra avenue to be pigs. BHVR. never thinks of consequences though.

    Also this. Im kind of annoyed seeing games add gay characters because "Hey look we are inclusive!" I dont care what sexuality people are. Dont wanna hear about it, dont want gender politics thrown in my face. So why would i want to see games i play regularly, especially ones with as toxic of a community as this one can be, flooded with gender politics. Honestly this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen

  • @Straiden said:

    Survivors are all bland and interchangeable. Why bother with backstory on them anyways?

    Exactly, just don't read the backstory if you're not interested.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347052#Comment_1347052

    I agree. That's why I want all characters to be shapeless, transparent blobs with no backstory whatsoever. I mean, why do characters have to have their overall body shape, species, and skin color focused on? They're just avenues for griefing.

    My friend, have I got the game for you:

    https://youtu.be/BzI1tkMwmZg

  • @SquirrelKnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347052#Comment_1347052

    Also this. Im kind of annoyed seeing games add gay characters because "Hey look we are inclusive!" I dont care what sexuality people are. Dont wanna hear about it, dont want gender politics thrown in my face. So why would i want to see games i play regularly, especially ones with as toxic of a community as this one can be, flooded with gender politics. Honestly this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen

    But how do you distinguish when a character with different sexuality is added because "why not" and when a character with different sexuality is added because "oh, this will make the game more popular"?

  • @SquirrelKnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347052#Comment_1347052

    Also this. Im kind of annoyed seeing games add gay characters because "Hey look we are inclusive!" I dont care what sexuality people are. Dont wanna hear about it, dont want gender politics thrown in my face. So why would i want to see games i play regularly, especially ones with as toxic of a community as this one can be, flooded with gender politics. Honestly this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen

    Well, they already added heterosexual relationships. Where's the outrage?

  • Am i the only one reading this wrong? I thought this would mean that future archives will NOT include a characters sexual preference as that kills a players interpretation of their character and how they choose to identify and portray them.

    Either way, why should anyone cry if a person is gay or bi or lesbian or trans in DBD, it wont ever hurt you.

    It's not political, or pandering, it's called real damn life.

  • @Straiden said:

    Great, so a homophobic player can now choose moris and facecamping based on character's sexuality. Really smart thing to do BHVR. Legitimate harassment, pretty good job so far.

    You think people shouldn't be represented because other people don't want them around? Don't give power to the bullies like that.....

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347069#Comment_1347069

    They didn't shove them down our throats. The only mention of any relationship in this game is joey and Julie. Now we will have nothing but all these lgbct characters all over the place just ruining the immersion. I know tons of people and 1 gay person. It's extremely rare so why should every new character have some quirk about them and why does it even matter. This is a game about slaughtering people in an endless cycle not some woke game with deep political messages

    There are multiple mentions of relationships in the lore. I think the Nurse was the first one to explicitly mention her heterosexual relationship.

    You're right, it doesn't matter, so why are you making such a big deal out of it?

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347069#Comment_1347069

    They didn't shove them down our throats. The only mention of any relationship in this game is joey and Julie. Now we will have nothing but all these lgbct characters all over the place just ruining the immersion. I know tons of people and 1 gay person. It's extremely rare so why should every new character have some quirk about them and why does it even matter. This is a game about slaughtering people in an endless cycle not some woke game with deep political messages

    "Now we will have nothing but all these lgbct characters all over the place just ruining the immersion." I don't really think that it will be like that, again, I think they tried to make an announcement that they are no longer afraid to add some sex relationship mentions. But they worded it as something big to make some bustle that is good for marketing.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347069#Comment_1347069

    They didn't shove them down our throats. The only mention of any relationship in this game is joey and Julie. Now we will have nothing but all these lgbct characters all over the place just ruining the immersion. I know tons of people and 1 gay person. It's extremely rare so why should every new character have some quirk about them and why does it even matter. This is a game about slaughtering people in an endless cycle not some woke game with deep political messages

    LGBT people are not leprechauns. I'm sure it differs by area, but I can tell you here in California, I've worked alongside gay, bi, and trans people in office jobs.

    Also, imagine being like "my immersion is now completely broken, in this game about an invisible Predator bellboy who runs around chasing a girl who likes Fast & the Furious movies and a guy who breathes heavier than an aircraft carrier, because this line of background text said that Meg kisses girls."

  • In the future...when chinese investors will let them

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347097#Comment_1347097

    There are multiple mentions of relationships in the lore. I think the Nurse was the first one to explicitly mention her heterosexual relationship.

    You're right, it doesn't matter, so why are you making such a big deal out of it?

    These are just mentions, the actual love story we have here is only between Frank and Julie, that's it.

  • @ayaya said:

    In the future...when chinese investors will let them

    Oh, that's why they probably made it as something big. Maybe they weren't allowed to do it before?

  • @Straiden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347013#Comment_1347013

    I have reported several people for claiming they always load moris for black and Asian characters. Guess you are lucky.

    Several? How many thousands have you played with/against?

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347108#Comment_1347108

    Once again it's not about the big gay it's about the blatant pandering and irrelevancy of it. It's needless pc bs being forced on us like everything these days. No one cares if a character is gay or identifies as a helicopter. Also funny you mention leprechauns because I'm Irish and I see one every day

    If you don't care, it won't affect your enjoyment. We have heterosexual relationships shoved down our throats already and I didn't see you complain. Blatant pandering to heterosexuals is everywhere.

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347112#Comment_1347112

    Oh, that's why they probably made it as something big. Maybe they weren't allowed to do it before?

    That's likely and if they will ever do that it will probably end up censored on the chinese market

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347108#Comment_1347108

    Once again it's not about the big gay it's about the blatant pandering and irrelevancy of it. It's needless pc bs being forced on us like everything these days. No one cares if a character is gay or identifies as a helicopter. Also funny you mention leprechauns because I'm Irish and I see one every day

    Gay people care.

    Also, helicopter people too, probably, if that were a thing.

  • @ayaya said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347120#Comment_1347120

    That's likely and if they will ever do that it will probably end up censored on the chinese market

    Wait, isn't the game already censored in Chine because it has explicit scenes of violence??

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347130#Comment_1347130

    Pandering? Straight people don't give an f about sexuality that's why it's annoying when all this pc stuff is dumped on us.

    If you don't care, why are you complaining about it?

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347132#Comment_1347132

    Wait, isn't the game already censored in Chine because it has explicit scenes of violence??

    No clue but I was always wondering especially when they announced that they will ban all games with murder

  • For marketing they can use big words to spread it as far as possible. But I'm really not sure how it'll end up in the game, though I think we'll only have "his/her girlfriend/boyfriend" just to confirm that some characters do love same sex. I don't think that they'll make characters strictly tied to liking only one sex because it would outrage people.

  • Okay, helicopter jokes are circumstancing for too long to be even a little bit clever...

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347155#Comment_1347155

    This will only lead to problems trust me. People getting facecamped for playing a character and lore getting extremely boring and predictable

    Okay, David had a mention of having a girlfriend in the Archive. Replace it with boyfriend. Nothing changes. Because it was mentioned once, that's it, and it was mentioned just to show that he had nowhere to go. You're too critical here.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347145#Comment_1347145

    Because everyone including the devs are making a big deal out of it

    The devs put out one tweet, like they usually do when they want to add something to the game. The only people I see making a big deal out of this are you and people like you. Even LGBT people, like myself, are just thinking/saying "Hey, neat", at best. Nobody's making a big deal out of this except the guys screaming at the top of their lungs that they don't want no LGBT people in their game because having LGBT is a political statement and they're "shoving it down our throats" and whatnot.

  • That's not how sexuality works.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347165#Comment_1347165

    The devs will try to make it like HEY GUYS LOOK A GAY PERSON ISN'T THAT DIVERSE ARE ALL YOU GAY PEOPLE BUYING ARE STUFF. IS IT NOT GAY ENOUGH OK HERE'S MORE LOOK HE'S GOT A SWEATER WITH RAINBOW ON IT AND SHORT SHORTS ON

    Let's assume for a second that you can actually see the future. You're not obligated to buy or wear anything if you don't want to, so what's the harm in letting other people have things that they want?

  • Uuuuh... Masculinity has nothing to do with orientation... I'm starting to afraid you're a little bit too extra about discussing sexuality. Rationalize your thoughts.

  • Jokes have to be funny, though.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347130#Comment_1347130

    Pandering? Straight people don't give an f about sexuality that's why it's annoying when all this pc stuff is dumped on us.

    You really seem to be all heated about thing you don't give a f about. Why is it annoying? I can't get my head around why making some character gay or bi or anything else annoys you so much.

  • I'm not sure that it's a safe thing to joke about. Masculinity accusations towards gay man are rather a serious topic.

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1347190#Comment_1347190

    It's just how forced it is. I hate when things happen just because it needs to. It's not natural. I would not care if the next character was briefly mentioned to be gay in the lore put this is too forced it annoys me

    What is too forced? They literally haven't done anything.

  • So you're complaining about something they haven't done yet because it could be made in a way you don't like, but it's everyone else who's making a big deal out of it. Do I have that right?

‹ 1 2 3