What are the unwritten rules for Survivors?

I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about unwritten rules and honour codes that exist in DBD, just because I think it's an interesting topic to explore.

Killers - are there any unwritten rules around sportsmanship or a type of honour code that you expect survivors to follow, or that you consider toxic behaviour (for example, no bodyblocking, no flashlight blinding, no teabagging at the gates, etc.)? Do you follow the same rules when (if) you play survivor?

Survivors - similarly, are there any rules of sportsmanship that you impose on yourself while playing (such as no teabagging) or that you expect other survivors to follow (for example, don't leave teammates behind on the hook)? Is there any survivor behaviour that you would consider 'toxic'?

Full disclosure: I'm a design student, and I've decided to centre my Honours project around the DBD community. Insights gained from this discussion may be used to inform my practice (although I won't include any identifying information, like usernames, if that does end up happening).

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • downloadfile-3.jpg

    You hate to see it

  • @LALYTHIA said:

    I just play DBD by the golden rule: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

    Survivor:

    I don't teabag

    I don't clicky clicky

    If I stomp a Killer, I don't GGEZ them in post game - I thank them for the match. I will stick up for a Killer if my teammates do.

    If I stomp the killer, but I'm sure I did enough to PIP, I get "conveniently" caught and die so they get at least one sacrifice

    I don't linger on the map in end-game unless I have an actual reason to be there

    I don't use the DS locker tech, nor pair it with Head-on

    I don't use exhaustion perks

    Killer:

    I don't camp

    I don't tunnel

    If a team is doing particularly bad, I will find something to do on the opposite side of the map to let them reset...even if there's nothing to actually do LOL

    I challenge myself to hook everyone twice before I start death hooking people (although I like playing "no-kill killer" and pipping)

    I dont use insta-down addons, perks, or moris

    I never slug to secure a 4k

    I will slug to avoid quickly killing someone who isn't very good

    Just general "don't be an #########" type stuff. I do my best to try and make everyone have a good time...unless you try and ruin my time. Then I am spicy. 😂

    Back in 2018 I use to play to just double hook everyone, then let everyone escape. Going easy on bad survivors does more harm then good, as it boosts them to a rank where they don't belong. Therefore they'll continue to be into put to matches where they are out of their depth, which will have a negative affect on their enjoyment. As well as impacting the enjoyment of their fellow survivors.

    Code of Honour as a Survivor:

    I do not BM (T -bagging, spamming my flashlight, pointing etc) unless the killer camps, tunnels, brings a mori, or has NOED. Although I'll sometimes chain blind if I make a flash light save.

    I avoid looping infinities

    I never use a key.

    Despite being a Jake main, I do not participate in Sabbo builds.

    I never bring a Haddonfield or a Ormund offering.

    I always say good game after the game.


    Code of Honour as a killer:

    From the start of the game I'll try and play as fair as possible I don't camp or tunnel.

    I do not bring a Mori unless the survivors as a key or I see a survivor who I know to be toxic post game.

    Unless I'm playing Leatherface I don't use the perk NOED


    Although if I go against a toxic SWF group or a sabbo squad, I'll finish the game by letting them bleed out. Giving them a chance to think about their behaviour/actions.

  • Have a picture of dan avidan from the musical group ninja sex party open on a separate monitor at all times.

  • First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    Killer:

    • BM begets BM. If you teabag, click your flashlight, point, et cetera, I'm going to single you out and make sure you have a boring game. You're obviously set out to ruin my fun, so it's only fair I return the favor.
    • I don't deliberately tunnel people if they were farmed or otherwise forced into a bad situation post-unhook, but if you were recently unhooked and stupidly deposit yourself onto the point of my blade, I'm going to down you again. I'd be asking to lose otherwise.
    • If you have No Mither, I let you pick yourself up at least once out of respect. Unless, of course, you have Dead Hard.
    • If you meme, I meme back, but don't mistake that for farming.

    Survivor:

    • If you play Bill or Nancy, I automatically assume you will be a hindrance to the team.
    • I never run Perks that give me a free second chance. I hate going against them as Killer, so I'd be a hypocrite to use them as Survivor. Plus, they're just not fun to use.
    • I must have Iron Will no matter what.
    • If you loop the Killer next to me while I'm hooked, you're an idiot and I wish we were on separate teams.
    • If you run Sweaty Butcher as Killer, I don't like you. I'm not gonna teabag or anything, but just... I don't like you.
    • If you use Scalped Topknot on Oni, I will report you for abusing an exploit because the simple fact that such a ridiculously overpowered addon exists is an error in game design as far as I'm concerned. (If you consider yourself an "Oni main" and you run this addon regularly, I don't consider you worthy of such a title.)
    • Similar to when I play Killer, BM begets BM. However, outside of that, I will never taunt as Survivor, with one exception: If you bring an Ebony and you fail to kill me, I will teabag furiously at the exit gates until I'm forced out, because you deserve it.

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    @KingFrost said:

    Rules I like Survivors to try to follow when I play killer:

    -Don't teabag me at the exit gate if I struggled the whole game. It's probably because I'm playing a killer I've never played before at a higher rank. I gave you an easy game. No need to be a jerk about me trying to do a challenge, and having NO IDEA HOW TO AIM THOSE STUPID HATCHETS. OKAY? ITS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS. Also, I may remember your name and bring a Mori just for you if I see you again. And that's when I'll be playing a killer I'm used to. With the best add-ons.

    -If there's just you and one survivor left, and I've got a survivor hooked on their second hook state, if you save them I'll probably let you have the hatch. But if you ignore them -- let's just say I have a very specific skill set. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you

    Rules I try to follow as survivor:

    -I only bring an item into the match if I'm doing a challenge. Rarely I'll bring a med-kit if I'm feeling super altruistic and likely to get injured a bit.

    -If gens are getting done fast, I won't work on them and will do totems instead.

    -Unless NoED is active, or the killer has an insta-down, never leave a man behind.

    -Wait for the killer to leave to unhook someone unless I have borrowed time OR it's obvious the killer has Devour Hope.

    -Only teabag killers who camped and/or tunneled. Or in a 3 gen situation, where i'm trying to draw the killer's attention so my teammates can do a gen.

    -Never throw a pallet if another survivor is behind you. Let them throw it instead.

    -Don't throw the shack pallet unless the gens in that area are already done OR you can prevent a killer from getting a survivor into the basement by throwing it. (Did this one today, actually. Leatherface got a teammate down, the basement was in the shack. I waited at the pallet. Instead of going around, Leatherface came my way to get a hit, I threw the pallet, and we both got away. Good use of the shack pallet, since it bought us a lot of time)

    -Heal before doing the generator, because the generator popping will notify the killer of our location.

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    @BunnyTheHutt said:

    My one unwritten rule is just don't be super toxic with perks. Killers already got it hard enough, and seeing 4 DS, 4 Adrenalin, teabagging, constant flashlight save attempts, etc really makes you not want too play killer anymore.

    My second rule is if you gen rush you deserve NOED. Take the time too do bones or get the expose.

    Third rule is if you have a key I'm gonna tunnel you. Keys and moris ruin the fun of the game and force people too loose because of an item, not because of skill.

    For survivor, simply don't use Ebony Mori on first hook. Literally gets rid of any fun the survivor has and makes them depip from something out of their control.

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    @PigMainClaudette said:

    Basically it comes down to treating others as equals until they prove otherwise.

    I hate it when people flashlight me at a pallet, attempt to abuse DS (especially annoying considering my generosity and playstyle!) and teabag endlessly. I play Pig because I like her, not to meme.

    I also never do these things to a killer, so I expect that they won't camp or tunnel me as a sign of respect.

    The only rule I really break is "no slugging", but I only slug one person at a time in the mid-game unless they do something stupid like have 4 people swarm the same generator at the same time, yes that has happened and 2-3 of them ate dirt for a good 2 minutes. I'm actually somewhat tactical about it and I'll leave you on the ground if you have an RBT or got unhooked recently as to give you a chance and apply pressure to the rest of the team.

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    @LALYTHIA said:

    I just play DBD by the golden rule: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

    Survivor:

    I don't teabag

    I don't clicky clicky

    If I stomp a Killer, I don't GGEZ them in post game - I thank them for the match. I will stick up for a Killer if my teammates do.

    If I stomp the killer, but I'm sure I did enough to PIP, I get "conveniently" caught and die so they get at least one sacrifice

    I don't linger on the map in end-game unless I have an actual reason to be there

    I don't use the DS locker tech, nor pair it with Head-on

    I don't use exhaustion perks

    Killer:

    I don't camp

    I don't tunnel

    If a team is doing particularly bad, I will find something to do on the opposite side of the map to let them reset...even if there's nothing to actually do LOL

    I challenge myself to hook everyone twice before I start death hooking people (although I like playing "no-kill killer" and pipping)

    I dont use insta-down addons, perks, or moris

    I never slug to secure a 4k

    I will slug to avoid quickly killing someone who isn't very good

    Just general "don't be an #########" type stuff. I do my best to try and make everyone have a good time...unless you try and ruin my time. Then I am spicy. 😂

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    @MadLordJack said:

    The rules I follow are pretty simple. Mostly.

    Killer:

    Play nice til someone does you a dirty. No tunelling unless object of tunnel does a scummy play (see below), no facecamping EVER.

    If it's early game, play even nicer. Don't punish farms. Let them have a match.

    Don't run: NOED, ebony/ivory Mori, tombstone piece.

    Don't use Stridor on spirit. My soundcard and headphones don't let me take much advantage, but the survivors don't know that.

    No BM.

    Accept boops.

    Survivor:

    Don't run infinites. Use the window to escape? Sure. Run it? No.

    DS only when actually deserved (so rare I never run it). No locker DS, no 59-second DS, no immortality abuse.

    Never combo DS/Unbreakable.

    Never use OoO, the killer cannot tell you are solo.

    Never use a key. If I plunder a key, I hold on to it or hide it. If someone else uses a key, I sacrifice myself to make up for robbed points. Who tf cares, I'm playing survivor, I pip for breakfast and black pip in my sleep.

    Never spam noises.

    Never BM when I am in a safe position. I will t-bag and give the pointer all day long after sandbagging myself. You're an arse if you do it after dropping a safe pallet on an m1 killer

    Don't abuse snoot boops. If killer lets me boops, I am chill.

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    @VolantConch1719 said:

    As Killer

    • Don't camp Survivors unless their hook is right along your patrol route, in which case your check ups will be much more frequent.
    • If a Survivor is unhooked, and you see the unhooker, go for them. If you see no one, everybody is fair game, including the unhooked.
    • If you have a mori, don't use it unless certain conditions are met: Have they been hooked twice? If so, they'll be dead anyway. Are there more than two gens left? If so, the game is still even, don't unbalance it. Did someone try and fail to flashlight blind you? If so, the blood is on their hands.
    • Don't run NOED. Seriously, don't.
    • Don't use Iridescent Head. It's broken and needs to be changed.

    As Survivor

    • Don't teabag the Killer. You're just asking for trouble.
    • Don't go clicky clicky with a flashlight unless trying to get another Survivor's attention (or respond to another click from a Survivor).
    • If Kindred shows me that the Killer doesn't leave for long or stands still and vanishes, I'm not coming to save you unless I have BT or it's right at the end of the match. Sit there and waste his time.
    • If the Killer is chasing you, and you know others are working on gens ahead of you, don't bring the Killer to them.
    • Don't be annoying in the exit gates, but stay until you know everyone is clear to leave. Basically, don't abandon your team.

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    @Nutty_Professor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Back in 2018 I use to play to just double hook everyone, then let everyone escape. Going easy on bad survivors does more harm then good, as it boosts them to a rank where they don't belong. Therefore they'll continue to be into put to matches where they are out of their depth, which will have a negative affect on their enjoyment. As well as impacting the enjoyment of their fellow survivors.

    Code of Honour as a Survivor:

    I do not BM (T -bagging, spamming my flashlight, pointing etc) unless the killer camps, tunnels, brings a mori, or has NOED. Although I'll sometimes chain blind if I make a flash light save.

    I avoid looping infinities

    I never use a key.

    Despite being a Jake main, I do not participate in Sabbo builds.

    I never bring a Haddonfield or a Ormund offering.

    I always say good game after the game.

    Code of Honour as a killer:

    From the start of the game I'll try and play as fair as possible I don't camp or tunnel.

    I do not bring a Mori unless the survivors as a key or I see a survivor who I know to be toxic post game.

    Unless I'm playing Leatherface I don't use the perk NOED

    Although if I go against a toxic SWF group or a sabbo squad, I'll finish the game by letting them bleed out. Giving them a chance to think about their behaviour/actions.

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    DS is the big one. If you use it properly then fine, but jumping into a locker or forcing the killer too grab you because you intentionally made a mistake is toxic IMO. Another one is a Sabo + No Mither team, It's completely unfair for the killer since he has no counterplay other then going too the basement every hook, which may not be possible. Object of Obsession in SWF is toxic IMO because you only need 1 person too have it too completely ruin your killer game. Mindgaming is impossible with one so you end up just tunneling that one person while the rest do gens, so you loose either way.

    Hope this will clarify what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

  • @BunnyTheHutt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1263282#Comment_1263282

    DS is the big one. If you use it properly then fine, but jumping into a locker or forcing the killer too grab you because you intentionally made a mistake is toxic IMO. Another one is a Sabo + No Mither team, It's completely unfair for the killer since he has no counterplay other then going too the basement every hook, which may not be possible. Object of Obsession in SWF is toxic IMO because you only need 1 person too have it too completely ruin your killer game. Mindgaming is impossible with one so you end up just tunneling that one person while the rest do gens, so you loose either way.

    Hope this will clarify what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

    No worries at all, thank you for taking the time to clarify 😊

  • I can't read

    Without my reading classes 😎

  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    My Survivor rules are largely self-imposed since I don't have any way to communicate them to others. It would be nice if other Survivors followed them, and the game would probably be in a better place community-wise, but I don't get my hopes up for it.

    Hope this answers the question, since I know my explanations often make things even more confusing.

  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    By farmers, I mean teammates that 'farm' you. You know, pull you off the hook right in front of the killer and/or immediately stealth/SB away. Bonus points if the killer chases them there or if I literally just got hooked. If I go down, that is 100% my teammates fault. Don't care if they had BT, if the killer commits to me that's still on my teammate. That includes me getting facecamped pre-endgame: don't reward facecampers. Do gens. You are creating positive reinforcement for that playstyle. That's a terrible, terrible thing to do.

    Judith's Tombstone is a massive debuff. The stalk amount alone is enormous, not including the speed debuff. Tombstone Piece, however, is a reusable ivory mori. You just pop T3 (it doesn't take that long, and you can shorten it with other add-ons), kill someone, and now it's a 3v1 against a 16 (let's be honest here, 8) meter terror radius m1 killer. AND YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN. I don't like that add-on.

    If survivor boops me, I chill. At least they have a sense of humour. I might let them go, I might let everyone go, maybe I'll meme, maybe I'll give them this 1 free outs and come back later. It's so rare these days, people just want to rush gens and leave (which is fair, don't get me wrong, that's literally the aim of the game). I just don't really want to go full sweat against someone that boops.

    And generally speaking, if survivors don't stick to those rules (keys, DS abuse, immortality combo (DS/Unbreakable), ultra non-meming BM) I don't stick to mine. I see a key, I'm sorry if it's green. I see OoO, I'm sorry if you were solo. I get an undeserved DS... I'm not sorry. I don't Mori key holders or anything like that, but I also don't play nice with people playing dirty. Better to ask forgiveness from decent people than give arseholes an even easier game. I've been on the recieving end of a killer scared of OoO, keys, or a team full of Immortality Combo. I get it. I really do. It is not fair playing nice with underhanded people. And the best part is the sheer number of dirty players (killer and survivor) that complain about the filth the other side sling at them after they themselves cast the first... Well, heaping pile of filthy, dirty plays.

    TLDR: Farming is unhooking in the killers face, Tombstone Piece requires the same effort as an ivory mori, Boop Transaction is complicated but generally I just like memer's, and if someone does me a dirty they cannot complain when I return the favour.

  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    Survivor Perks I regard as "second chance" would be Sprint Burst, Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Decisive Strike, and Unbreakable. To a certain extent, I also include Head On in this list, but I actually enjoy using that Perk, so I can't help but throw it on every once in a while.

    As for the Bill/Nancy thing, it's simply because I've never seen a smart Bill or Nancy, either as Survivor or Killer. Bills are the kind of person to last for less than twenty seconds in a chase and still somehow manage to burn a third of the pallets on the map, and Nancies are too greedy with their pallets and REALLY love to overuse Fixated thinking they're the most immersed gamers alive.

  • @VolantConch1719 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1263282#Comment_1263282

    My Survivor rules are largely self-imposed since I don't have any way to communicate them to others. It would be nice if other Survivors followed them, and the game would probably be in a better place community-wise, but I don't get my hopes up for it.

    Hope this answers the question, since I know my explanations often make things even more confusing.

    Very much so, thank you!

  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    What do I define as abusing DS? Well, I tend to stick with the common consensus of it as in doing REALLY stupid actions in a killer's face because you have DS active. This includes unhooking in my face, blatantly working on a generator or even something more subtle like teabagging at me when I found you healing someone.


    Basically acting like you have immunity to the killer because of a mildly inconvenient 5 second stun. Most killer's DON'T run Obsession perks, and half of them are negative to you.

  • On both sides my unsaid rules evolve from the thought of it’s a Game that five individuals are playing to entertain each other and themselves. With this said:


    as killer: same as prior. I don’t tunnel or camp. Also I do not particularly get frustrated with any perk. High rank killer might be more of a frustration but up to lvl five it’s relatively easy to get bp and rank up. May get heat for it but killing everyone as quick as possible, making it entertaining and promoting team work as well as getting as much bp as possible is what the game requires of the killer. Tunneling and camping is for individuals that have the four kills equals win equals fun critters.


    for survivor- I only teabag to say hi or thank you to other survivors.

    Don’t hide all match. Expect a turn on the killer. If everyone is trying and not potatoing and three players are double hooked and you haven’t been chased really...######### you need to step up. It’s your turn. It makes it a team effort and you’ve enjoyed your teammates run the killer six times while you do gens carefree. Its your turn.


    Survivors that I know are good enough to know better that bring killer to gens or to players healing. I’ve only noticed much more recently since I now use aftercare with most builds..and then some b line it to me knowing they’ll lose the killer.


    Looping around the hooked individual. You could be the best looper and wanna show off but gtfo and so it somewhere else.


    If you don’t want to be healed under hook. Don’t run to where you want to be healed...it just delays the inevitable due to the scratch makes but we could have started healing 6 seconds ago. Walk #########, walk

    Any survivor going into second phase On first hook without being severely camped is just as much your fault as it is the other two teammates. If this happens that player will be enraged honestly and should be.


    Over all I don’t run DS, so I find BBQ and chili is the most toxic perk in the game and it is run by 90 percent of killers. It is too strong to have the bp component attached...the bp component is every killers excuse for using it. You may find that comment more survivor main’ish. No perk had such an effect on survivor gameplay as that perk.

  • @Uindangergurl said:

    On both sides my unsaid rules evolve from the thought of it’s a Game that five individuals are playing to entertain each other and themselves. With this said:

    as killer: same as prior. I don’t tunnel or camp. Also I do not particularly get frustrated with any perk. High rank killer might be more of a frustration but up to lvl five it’s relatively easy to get bp and rank up. May get heat for it but killing everyone as quick as possible, making it entertaining and promoting team work as well as getting as much bp as possible is what the game requires of the killer. Tunneling and camping is for individuals that have the four kills equals win equals fun critters.

    for survivor- I only teabag to say hi or thank you to other survivors.

    Don’t hide all match. Expect a turn on the killer. If everyone is trying and not potatoing and three players are double hooked and you haven’t been chased really...######### you need to step up. It’s your turn. It makes it a team effort and you’ve enjoyed your teammates run the killer six times while you do gens carefree. Its your turn.

    Survivors that I know are good enough to know better that bring killer to gens or to players healing. I’ve only noticed much more recently since I now use aftercare with most builds..and then some b line it to me knowing they’ll lose the killer.

    Looping around the hooked individual. You could be the best looper and wanna show off but gtfo and so it somewhere else.

    If you don’t want to be healed under hook. Don’t run to where you want to be healed...it just delays the inevitable due to the scratch makes but we could have started healing 6 seconds ago. Walk #########, walk

    Any survivor going into second phase On first hook without being severely camped is just as much your fault as it is the other two teammates. If this happens that player will be enraged honestly and should be.

    Over all I don’t run DS, so I find BBQ and chili is the most toxic perk in the game and it is run by 90 percent of killers. It is too strong to have the bp component attached...the bp component is every killers excuse for using it. You may find that comment more survivor main’ish. No perk had such an effect on survivor gameplay as that perk.

    Thanks for the response! Are those all rules that you would expect other survivors to follow, or just ones that you follow yourself?

  • There are more. From your original question you can see where my philosophy on game play arises. All five players are supposed to have fun. If you as killer are being over oppressive 3 survivors will leave the game with less than 8k points and salt to be a selfish survivor next round. I like to leave as killer with opposing survivors getting roughly at least 15k. It gives less experienced players time to learn, and more experienced players to to interact and have fun trying to help each other.


    survivor side other than stated prior it’s not about just completing gens or escaping only. Any behavior that does not promote cooperative play to escape with as many of your survivors as possible. Farming a player or unhooking close to killer with minimal chance of healing and with no intention of keeping asking a protection hit is not conducive with you trying to escape with your fellow survivor. You’re getting unhook points, and leaving the player to be easily downed thereby less likely to be chased yourself. So the farming aspect in that regard is selfish. You can unhook quickly but have a build to do so. Bt, MoM or we’re gunna make it...or inner strength to heal easily after taking a protection hit.

    Using pallets can be tricky. It takes awhile to become accustomed to not using certain pallets. I’d say a few month before the “oh crap the killers in me” , so I don’t follow the “you used a particular pallet” so imma sabotage my team. Have any of these survivors stated to one of these other survivors to not use god pallets early? If so it was probably in a derogatory way.

    If you know “NOED” is not on the board. Make a play for the save regardless of skill level. You gotta try. You’ll feel better for it. If the team gen rushed and NOED is in play with a player hooked an no one looking for it...it’s probably the only bye gurl bye scenario.


    oh. If someone is creep walking...don’t just run by them if you’re not in chase and have no where to go immediately. People have different play styles and creep style is ok but not if you lead the killer with track marks right to them Mwahaa

  • To answer your question, those are the rules I feel apply to the average player to keep the game ongoing. Once you have too many games with more non team player survivors and tunneling/camping killers it turns you off from the game. I really enjoy dbd....so I Utilize my own personal gameplay rules that perpetuate other players in having a positive experience. Thereby doing my part to maintain a healthy player population. Apologies for long posts

  • I have my personal code of conduct that I don't expect others to follow but I couldn't play the game without.

    -I try not to leave a man behind unless it is impossible to find NOED or a Billy, Bubba, and now a spamming Doc is face-camping. I run a totem finding build most of the time so it isn't a problem.

    -I don't teabag or taunt killers. I think it is childish and unnecessary. I have however, tbagged at the gate twice in this game (nearly a year ago), but that is after a killer was being very toxic, I usually just let toxic behavior go.

    -I'm opening the gate. Other people 99ing the gate and leaving it, has gotten be killed more than bloodwarden.

    -Doing a gen. I prioritize gens over healing unless there are 3 of us and it could be done quickly or I have a healing build. Also, if I know you are on death hook.

    -I deliberately get the attention of the killer if my teammates are on death hook and I am not.

    -I don't run the killer toward hooked survivors and if the killer spots me when going for a save, unless you are close to struggle state, I won't try and save you. BT is not part of my normal build.

    -If I get taken to the basement once the gates are open against a camping killer, I'm giving up on hook. Better to take the L than the whole team down with me.

    -Never insta-save, except against a Demo who left a b*tthole. Instantly saving someone can get them killed. 1.) Killer has not had time to leave properly unless it is Billy, Demo, Freddy or Spirit. 2.) You could have gotten 15 more seconds or so out of a gen before running across the map. Even if I'm close, I'll wait a bit until killer has put distance between the hook. Unfortunately, with solo queue teammates, even at red ranks, they dive bomb the hook.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1263282#Comment_1263282

    Survivor Perks I regard as "second chance" would be Sprint Burst, Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Decisive Strike, and Unbreakable. To a certain extent, I also include Head On in this list, but I actually enjoy using that Perk, so I can't help but throw it on every once in a while.

    As for the Bill/Nancy thing, it's simply because I've never seen a smart Bill or Nancy, either as Survivor or Killer. Bills are the kind of person to last for less than twenty seconds in a chase and still somehow manage to burn a third of the pallets on the map, and Nancies are too greedy with their pallets and REALLY love to overuse Fixated thinking they're the most immersed gamers alive.

    How did Sprint Burst make the list and not Lithe or Balanced Landing?

  • @feechima said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1263399#Comment_1263399

    How did Sprint Burst make the list and not Lithe or Balanced Landing?

    Because Sprint Burst can be used whenever you’d like, and as such, most Survivors use it as a brain dead panic button whenever the Killer has rightfully closed the distance on them. Lithe and BL can definitely be used as a second chance, but in order to be used effectively it takes a good deal more decent pathing and forethought than SB or DH.

  • As a survivor, don't be a dick to the killer. I sometimes give myself as a sacrifice to a killer who was obviously matched with people well outside their skill level, just so they get at least one kill. I also berate survivors who're toxic to killers in the chat.


  • @Fibijean said:

    First of all, thank you for all the comments - it's been a huge help. I've finally had time to go through them all, and I have some clarifying questions for some people. Some of these may sound rather pedantic, but I'm genuinely just trying to understand your ideas better.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253588#Comment_1253588

    Which second chance perks specifically do you avoid as survivor? Why do you assume that Nancys and Bills in particular are likely to be a detriment to the team?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253676#Comment_1253676

    You say that you like to do totems as survivor if the gens are going too fast. Is that a tactical move in case of NOED (since if gens are getting done fast, it's likely no one else has bothered with totems), or a kindness to the killer, or a combination of both?

    You teabag killers who camped and tunnelled, but don't want survivors to teabag you if you had a bad game. What if a killer camped and/or tunnelled because they were struggling? Do you consider it acceptable as a killer for a survivor to teabag you if you camped or tunnelled them? (I'm not attacking or judging you, just trying to understand your point of view.)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1253697#Comment_1253697

    Can you elaborate on what you mean about being toxic with perks? Are there particular perks that you will never use, or that you will only use in specific scenarios?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254245#Comment_1254245

    What would you define as "abusing" DS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254361#Comment_1254361

    Do you ever use killers that have an insta-down built into their power? If so, do you use that power?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254625#Comment_1254625

    By "farmers", do you mean survivors who rescue teammates near you, or survivors who are trying to farm for bloodpoints?

    If you don't use the Tombstone Piece, does that mean you also won't use Judith's Tombstone, or is that an exception for some reason?

    What do you consider "accepting" a boop? Do you let the survivor escape, or do you only let them live until you see them again?

    Do your survivor rules apply only to yourself as a survivor, or are those expectations that you have of the survivors when you play killer as well?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1254890#Comment_1254890

    Do your survivor rules apply equally to other survivors, or are they purely self-imposed?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258641#Comment_1258641

    Do you avoid Haddonfield and Ormond offerings out of respect for the killer, or because you personally just don't like playing on those maps?

    I wouldn't say a kindness as much as it is a means of slowing the game down a little. I don't like rushing out the gates. Though I don't imagine the killer likes it much either. I don't worry about NoED too much unless the killer's playing a certain way. Some killers, you just know probably have NoED from the way they play.

    If a Killer's really struggling, and camping and tunneling hasn't been their gameplan all along, then I don't teabag. (I always run Kindred, so I usually know a Killer's habits when it comes to hooks. Its saved my life a number of times) Personally, I don't camp most of the time. And I try my best not to tunnel. I don't find it necessary to get ONE kill every game. If I get a kill, fine. If I don't, also fine. Survivors might've just been better than me. If I do camp and/or tunnel you, then feel free to teabag me. You've earned it.

1 2 ›