So the official PlayStation Blog is promoting camping...
Just stumbled upon a blog post on the European PlayStation Blog, with tips on how to play DbD, as it is one of this months free PS+ games. I found it very interesting to see the 4th bulletpoint on how to play Killer:
"4. Bait the hook
Grab a weakened survivor, stick them on a hook and then…hide nearby. Wait. Would-be rescuers will be distracted long enough for you to launch an attack."
I'm a killer main myself, but encouraging new players to camp hooks is a surefire way to turn off any potential newcomers from playing survivor.
Comments
Link:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/08/10/survive-ps-plus-headliner-dead-by-daylight-as-hunter-or-hunted-with-these-top-tips/
Camping is a legitimate and officially endorsed strategy. If they can't handle losing, they probably shouldn't be playing PvP games anyway.
It's a terrible strategy, that more often than not leads to a loss for the killer, and plain boredom for the hooked survivor. Not exactly something that would encourage players to stick around.
The way I see it, this isn't camping, but rather remaining in the area, while you search for the survivors you know are nearby. The way the blog post is written, it encourages camping all hooked survivors, whether teammates are around or not, which isn't exactly sportsmanlike behaviour.
Its a strange turn of phrase which doesn't quite fit the game.
I would actually interpret this as encouraging the use of insidious near the hook.
OMG EVEN WORSE!
And in fact, bailing the hook is one of the strongest strategies because this way the survivors come to you and you don't have to follow them running in circles just to be stunned by a pallet
Experienced survivors make a u-turn and do all of the gens while you think they are still close and whine in post lobby about gen rushing.
We are talking about beginner tipps here, camping is the strongest tactic on those ranks if you ask me.
Also even experienced SWF are most of the time overaltruistic and try to save their discord buddy even if you stand a few meters away
But of course in high ranks you cant simply camp all the time, you have to use it as a mindgame and you need to know when to stop because you waste too much time
It is part of the game and, at times, is a smart move. I see nothing wrong with it.
Hell, even the Devs said something along the lines of this around/before the time of release in a Dev Diary.
And i see no problem with that, it's a strat.
One that often pay, if played at the right moment.
Yet survivor mains somehow think that camping is bannable.
Outright "face camping" during the regular course of a game should be discouraged and is definitely NOT a strategy. It just leads to a negative and bitter feeling for the survivor being camped. Not fun at all.
As a killer mains, I actively "patrol" the hook as I search for nearby rescuers as far as 20-25 meters away circling the area of interest so this to me is legit. I am not willing to allow a rescue without a fight.
However, if I'm being looped constantly by an individual or body blocked, I may reconsider once I've got you on the hook. To me, body blocking and looping falls into the same category as camping.
If the gates are open, face camping is legit at this point since it will affect my Emblem results.
Killer mains just want the game to die, and to make the game as unwelcoming to new players as possible.
/shrug
There is such a massive difference between facing 3 or 4 survivors. Witness the games where someone doesn’t load in – the survivors usually get trashed.
I’m a firm believer that you need to get one out the game asap. Once you get your first survivor to struggle stage you might as well camp them out. You will waste
far more time chasing and hooking them again.
Camping is a legit strategy. A killer is not responsible for the fun of the survivor.
Looping is a legit strategy. A survivor is not responible for the fun of the killer.
And you shouldn't. Obviously survivor mains don't care about new killers playing, evidenced by all the videos and montages of survivors "wrecking baby killers". Lmao really, that is just rich coming from them
Both suck for the other side and are frustrating. Neither side is responsible for playing by the other sides made up rules. Getting your ass handed to you in any game or sport sucks, especially when its not because you lack skill, but lets all get some perspective
The devs should fix the looping issues, but holding it against survivors for using the tools at thier disposal is counterproductive. Once looping is fixed, camping will be less rewarding than looking for other survs. Then, and only then, would I support looking at ways to actively deter camping.
Before anyone asks, I play surv at red ranks and despite calling myself a killer main (I like killer more, but can't play with friends) I dont usually get past purple ranks.
I never loop, because it "feels bad" for both me and the killer, but that is a personal choice. I do, however, FL save and blind at pallets and do other things I hate as killer, which I dont hold against other survs when I play killer. T-bagging is always a chump move and I dont do it, ever.
Yeah, I'm sure these brand new Survivors THAT HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME BEFORE at Rank 20 are running Killers in circles.
Camping at that Rank is a surefire way to turn off new players.
If you suspect the killer of camping, nothing is stopping you from abandoning the survivor and doing gens to get out.
However, the example you give where the killer blocked you in for 20 minutes without hitting you or moving IS a reportable offense.
Wow, I created this thread because I was surprised to see Sony encouraging a strategy that breeds toxicity (not patrolling a hook, litterally camping it). I'm aware that the strategy is "legit" and the devs condone it, but it doesn't make it any less unsportsmanlike, and survivors witnessing this behavior time and time again are sure to employ equally toxic strategies in an attempt to counter this. Furthermore it's a boring strategy for both the killer and the hooked survivor. New players reading the blog post will end up thinking that this is how the game should always be played, and will end up walking away from the borefest that is staring at a hook with a struggling survivor.
Once again, I'm a killer main, and I pretty much never play survivor. I'm not above admitting that I've used the strategy from time to time, but I much prefer running perks that reward moving away from the hook, as it's a lot more fun, and in my experience a much more effective way of winning games. I don't buy into the "it's not my job to ensure my opponent has fun" attitude many people in this thread seem to share. The way I see it, it's in all of our best interest to ensure that some fun is had on both sides, otherwise we'll end up with a toxic mess of the game, that will be so far from enjoyable, it'll die out.
I doubt that it will die out because of some camping low rank killers. The toxic problem comes more from the videos of Ochido and Noob3.
We already have a toxic mess of a game. But surprisingly it hasn´t hurt the game. So i really don´t see the problem with Sony. Camping has been announced as a feature from the beginning. It´s a design choice. Killers get encouraged to leave the hook by perks like BBQ and MYC. But survivor don´t like those perks for whatever unlogic reason. Devs can only give players the tools. But it´s their choice if they want to play one way or another.
The borefest takes maximum 2 minutes (even less if the camped survivor gives up) and then he can search a new game.
And let´s be honest. Killers get called out for camping all the time. Even if they don´t camp.
It's an excellent strategy that Survivors reward 9 times out of 10 because they've become convinced they should be able to ignore the Killer's presence in almost any situation.
Killer mains want survivor mains to feel what they have to go through every game
Yet looping is a valid strat as well, something killer mains love to forget all the time complaining about it. Does that make them both ok then since the devs have said both are viable strats?
Well as a rank 18 killer you can easily verse a SWF consisting of 3 rank 1s and a single rank 20. Now try to argue taht you wont be looped in that game
I wonder how a "baby killer" will react after such a game. He will be like "#########, I need to get better" proceeds to google and finds out that the only way how to get better is by playing nurse or tunnel/camp.
I remember a free weekend were tons of rank 1 swf groups tried to bully noob killers.
I remember that too. My killer was on low rank this time and I tried to give the bullies a hard time
It is a strategy. But it's not fun for survivor who is being camped.
Now wait till i see the "killer is not having fun too" post somewhere