Lobby Dodging VS Disconnecting in match (would love a Dev response)

If I understand correctly the new DC penalties are to punish people that disconnect in a match simply because they don't like the way the match is going. The rationale is that disconnecting is unfair to the rest of the people in the match. I 100% agree this needed to be done.

I posted a thread yesterday about queue times on PS4 and had people started commenting on it how when they play killer and they get stuck in a lobby they don't like because of the amount of survivors with toolboxes or whatever reason they just dodge it. Toolboxes are part of the game. The rationale behind dodging in this situation is no different than the rationale of disconnecting in a match. They don't like something so they dodge. Dodging is still disconnecting. It's just done in the lobby instead of the match. It's just as unfair to the people you dodged as disconnecting in match. Sometimes it's more unfair because you may end up waiting 30 minutes or more for your lobby to fill again.

Why does lobby dodging get a free pass when it's done for exactly the same reason as disconnecting?

Comments

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084437#Comment_1084437

    Yeah, what happens to survivors that can't see the name of the killer who has caused issues in the past? Survivors just have to put up and deal with it. But Killers have the ability to exercise discretion and decide to dodge a Lobby if it contains a Survivor, they dislike for whatever reason.

    That would be why you take down their name after a match and block them. It's not rocket science. If you don't like how someone plays, block them, and they won't be matched with you. Kinda how that works.

  • DC Penalties are one thing - but if you start penalizing lobby dodging, the devs will have a dead game on their hands.

    @Feyd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084843#Comment_1084843

    You're missing the point. Killers get the option to bail on games they don't like the look of. Survivors don't. So as long as we have to load into a game before finding out it's going to be a waste if time, there will be DC's. Or suicides now that the DC penalty is back.

    I understand that survivors shouldn't be able to tailor their perks to the killer chosen, but they should get the option to bounce if the killer can see what the survivors have.

    Either both sides get the opportunity to bounce without penalty or neither should. Otherwise the system is unfair inherently.

    Survivors also have perks that can hard counter just about every killer ability/perk in the game, and outnumber the killer 4:1.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084581#Comment_1084581

    That would be why you take down their name after a match and block them. It's not rocket science. If you don't like how someone plays, block them, and they won't be matched with you. Kinda how that works.

    I don't know about other platforms but it doesn't work that way on PlayStation. There's no way to block a specific player from ever being in your lobby.

  • @Feyd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084834#Comment_1084834

    As long as I can see if the game will be unfun before I go in I'm cool with it. But loading in just to see an iri head huntress with infantry belt and ebony mori is a game not worth playing.

    If you're not willing to take that risk, why even play? It's a gamble every time. The whole reason we're seeing this now is because DC enthusiasts forced killers to stop using their best items and offerings or constantly not have any fun being forced to play to the whims of Survivors, or risk DC's and not have a real match.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084798#Comment_1084798

    Isn't that always the way it is?

    A killer sees toolboxes and they should have the right to dodge. They see Claudettes and don't want to play against those they should have the right to dodge. Did the survivors in the lobby have keys? They should have the right to dodge.

    Let a survivor say they don't want to play against a particular perk or a particular killer and they get told it's just part of the game and they should just shut up and play.

    For the record I'm not actually saying I shouldn't have to play against a particular perk or killer. Just saying if it's perfectly acceptable for killers to be able to choose to not participate in a match because they don't like what they see in the lobby survivors should get the same option.

    It wouldn't work. As an example, the Doctor is en vogue right now due to his re-work. Most Survivors are complaining about seeing him a lot. Or killers the one and down, like Bubba and Billy. Allowing Survivors the option to see their Killer before hand allows them to take the game hostage by forcing people to play only the Killers they're willing to play against, reducing the ability for Killers to find matches with the characters they like to play.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085651#Comment_1085651

    I don't know about other platforms but it doesn't work that way on PlayStation. There's no way to block a specific player from ever being in your lobby.

    That's EXACTLY the way it works on any platform. I can vouche being a PlayStation player, myself.

  • @woundcowboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085572#Comment_1085572

    Survivors leaving mid match ruins the game for everyone. A killer leaving at the lobby just means that the survivors will have to wait a few more seconds/minutes. These two things are not the same.....

    Try sitting in my place and waiting an extra 20 minutes because a killer left a lobby. But you keep on assuming you know what it's like for everyone else.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084581#Comment_1084581

    That would be why you take down their name after a match and block them. It's not rocket science. If you don't like how someone plays, block them, and they won't be matched with you. Kinda how that works.

    On PS4 I can block them from post game chat, but I can't block them otherwise. Try again.

  • @McLightning said:

    DC Penalties are one thing - but if you start penalizing lobby dodging, the devs will have a dead game on their hands.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085212#Comment_1085212

    Survivors also have perks that can hard counter just about every killer ability/perk in the game, and outnumber the killer 4:1.

    Hmmmm...... for a survivor to utilize a perk to counter a particular killer they would have to know what killer they are going up against before the match starts. I can make a wild guess and assume I am going up against a doctor and play calm spirit, but then if I end up against a ghostface that calm spirit doesn't mean crap. Good try though.

  • @Feyd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084908#Comment_1084908

    Add-on rarity, offering rarity. Player name. No info on the specific killer chosen. If you see an iri add-on or iri offering, you have the option to dip, just like the killer can with multiple toolboxes or a key.

    That would result in doing exactly the same as what DCing allowed: letting Survivors take the game hostage by forcing Killers to play only what the Survivors are willing to play against. Nothing about that is ok.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085655#Comment_1085655

    That's EXACTLY the way it works on any platform. I can vouche being a PlayStation player, myself.

    Please tell me how I can block playing against specific players. I have found ways to block them contacting me via chat, but haven't found a single way to block them being put in the same match as me.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085651#Comment_1085651

    On PS4 I can block them from post game chat, but I can't block them otherwise. Try again.

    That would be why you go to their profile and block it. Blocking their profile prevents them from being matched with you in game. Maybe try reading up on your systems interfaces.

  • If you DC in a match, I've now wasted my Offering because you are leaving me either in a bad place with regard to finishing gens and escaping, or getting screwed out of BP and emblems. I actually don't think you can rank up as a Killer without 4 people in the match and all the hook events.... depipping is easy though.

    If I lobby dodge you, nothing is lost but a bit of time. Even as a Survivor I will lobby dodge if I see someone who was a toxic butthole to the Killer in a previous match. I do not want to be involved in the end result of that because it isn't pretty and I end up getting ######### on because someone wants to be a douche. They are usually the one who DCs too, so two birds with one penalty eh?

    Overall, I'd rather have a Killer dodge a lobby than deal with a DC mid-match from either side. A frustrated and/or pissy Killer is not fun to play against when they just camp everyone due to items or previous encounters. I'll take the dodge and just chill. That's what YouTube, DbD Forums, and clicker games are for. Alt+Tab = love.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084581#Comment_1084581

    That would be why you take down their name after a match and block them. It's not rocket science. If you don't like how someone plays, block them, and they won't be matched with you. Kinda how that works.

    Again... tell me how you have accomplished that. I can block them from chatting with me, but I have yet to find any way to block them from being put in a match with me.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085679#Comment_1085679

    Please tell me how I can block playing against specific players. I have found ways to block them contacting me via chat, but haven't found a single way to block them being put in the same match as me.

    Blocking their profile doesn't just prevent them from contacting you, it seeds them out of online interactions as a whole. That includes in-game interaction.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085652#Comment_1085652

    Hmmmm...... for a survivor to utilize a perk to counter a particular killer they would have to know what killer they are going up against before the match starts. I can make a wild guess and assume I am going up against a doctor and play calm spirit, but then if I end up against a ghostface that calm spirit doesn't mean crap. Good try though.

    Correct - except, calm spirit counters more than just Doctor. It counters screaming. ALL screaming. Including Infectious Fright, which has made it's way into killer meta lately.

    Good try, though.

    😎

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085651#Comment_1085651

    Again... tell me how you have accomplished that. I can block them from chatting with me, but I have yet to find any way to block them from being put in a match with me.

    You go to their profile and select block profile from the options menu. It's really not that hard to understand.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085707#Comment_1085707

    Blocking their profile doesn't just prevent them from contacting you, it seeds them out of online interactions as a whole. That includes in-game interaction.

    That only works on console. Blocking someone on Steam/PC does NOT seed them out of anything.

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085701#Comment_1085701

    Correct - except, calm spirit counters more than just Doctor. It counters screaming. ALL screaming. Including Infectious Fright, which has made it's way into killer meta lately.

    Good try, though.

    😎

    And that still wouldn't help against a ghostface

  • Spine Chill.

    GG.

    Which helps against EVERY killer.

    Good try, though.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085707#Comment_1085707

    Blocking their profile doesn't just prevent them from contacting you, it seeds them out of online interactions as a whole. That includes in-game interaction.

    I have done google search after google search after google search on this. Have never found anything other than blocking chat. Please tell me you aren't yanking my chain. If I can block certain players you don't know how happy this would make me.

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085729#Comment_1085729

    Spine Chill.

    GG.

    Which helps against EVERY killer.

    Good try, though.

    Against most killers I have no need of spine chill. We can play this stupid game all day.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085595#Comment_1085595

    Try sitting in my place and waiting an extra 20 minutes because a killer left a lobby. But you keep on assuming you know what it's like for everyone else.

    Actually, mmain is exactly on the mark. DCing affects an in-progress game, which can drasty alter it's outcome on both sides. Lobby dodging does not. Sure it sucks to have to wait longer, but it's still better then having your teammates just up and abandon you because they arbitrarily decided it's no longer worth their time, or wasting time chasing a Survivor, only to have them DC because they realize they can't escape and automatically claim you're Tunneling.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085715#Comment_1085715

    You go to their profile and select block profile from the options menu. It's really not that hard to understand.

    I will try that as soon as I can. Why the ever loving freak have I never come across this? I have blocked people in chat situations, but they still show up in gameplay. Would have loved to have known this a long time ago?

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085732#Comment_1085732

    Against most killers I have no need of spine chill. We can play this stupid game all day.

    Spine Chill increases repair, heal, and sabo speed while also hard countering the thing that makes Ghostface strong in the first place (and providing you of a heads up for all killers). This isn't useful?

    Okay then. haha

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085718#Comment_1085718

    That only works on console. Blocking someone on Steam/PC does NOT seed them out of anything.

    Well than I stand corrected, at least where PC is concerned, though that does seem rather odd.

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085734#Comment_1085734

    Spine Chill increases repair, heal, and sabo speed while also hard countering the thing that makes Ghostface strong in the first place (and providing you of a heads up for all killers). This isn't useful?

    Okay then. haha

    Yes it does all those things. But there are other perks that are much more useful to me personally against every killer other than a ghostface. Everyone has their own strength and weaknesses. I readily admit I am weak against a ghostface and spine chill would be a welcome addition when playing against one. At the same time I don't really have need of it against other killers. There are perks more advantageous to me against other killers. So ha ha all you want. It doesn't change the fact if I played spine chill it would basically be for those times I play against one particular killer. That's fine, but doesn't change the original point I was making.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085742#Comment_1085742

    Yes it does all those things. But there are other perks that are much more useful to me personally against every killer other than a ghostface. Everyone has their own strength and weaknesses. I readily admit I am weak against a ghostface and spine chill would be a welcome addition when playing against one. At the same time I don't really have need of it against other killers. There are perks more advantageous to me against other killers. So ha ha all you want. It doesn't change the fact if I played spine chill it would basically be for those times I play against one particular killer. That's fine, but doesn't change the original point I was making.

    Okay, then use the other perks then. That's your choice. The point is, these perks do these things, so your entire point was invalid.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085718#Comment_1085718

    I have done google search after google search after google search on this. Have never found anything other than blocking chat. Please tell me you aren't yanking my chain. If I can block certain players you don't know how happy this would make me.

    No chain yanking. Promise. Blocking someone's profile on console prevents them from appearing in online play modes for the majority of titles. I'm sure there may be some exceptions (nothing is perfect) but it's kind of like Facebook. The matchmaking pulls from PlayStation Networks online resources, since it doesn't have it's own internal save database. It relies on the same pathways, so blocking a profile from all interactions also extends to encountering them in gameplay, since there can't be any guarantees that in-game communication doesn't exist. It's ment to be a protection against harassment. Of course, if a game has dedicated server-sided saves, it could be possible to get past that by using a games internal communications database, which I assume is why, as Lightning just pointed out to me, profile blocking doesn't work on PC, or so I would assume.

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085754#Comment_1085754

    Okay, then use the other perks then. That's your choice. The point is, these perks do these things, so your entire point was invalid.

    Glad you think so. I see your whole input on this thread as useless and invalid. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085733#Comment_1085733

    No chain yanking. Promise. Blocking someone's profile on console prevents them from appearing in online play modes for the majority of titles. I'm sure there may be some exceptions (nothing is perfect) but it's kind of like Facebook. The matchmaking pulls from PlayStation Networks online resources, since it doesn't have it's own internal save database. It relies on the same pathways, so blocking a profile from all interactions also extends to encountering them in gameplay, since there can't be any guarantees that in-game communication doesn't exist. It's ment to be a protection against harassment. Of course, if a game has dedicated server-sided saves, it could be possible to get past that by using a games internal communications database, which I assume is why, as Lightning just pointed out to me, profile blocking doesn't work on PC, or so I would assume.

    The next time I am in front of my PS4 there are 5 people that will get blocked. Thank you. This bit of information has made this whole post worthwhile.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085757#Comment_1085757

    Glad you think so. I see your whole input on this thread as useless and invalid. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

    Yes, my input of "you can't penalize for this for this valid reason" was less pointless than "omg why cant survivor see the killer before the trial". I participated. All you did was say "nuh uh". Guess we'll just have to agree that I'm right.

  • @McLightning said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085763#Comment_1085763

    Yes, my input of "you can't penalize for this for this valid reason" was less pointless than "omg why cant survivor see the killer before the trial". I participated. All you did was say "nuh uh". Guess we'll just have to agree that I'm right.

    Would you feel better if I just stroked your ego and just said you're right? I mean I'll do so if it makes you feel better. I'm all about making you feel validated.

  • Let 'em dodge. Eventually a killer who's not afraid of survivors will play.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085655#Comment_1085655

    That's EXACTLY the way it works on any platform. I can vouche being a PlayStation player, myself.

    No it does not, you're just luckily not running into people you have blocked. However blocking someone on PlayStation is strictly so they can't send you messages or add you as a friend, it has nothing to do whatsoever with the matchmaker.

  • @mmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085595#Comment_1085595

    Try sitting in my place and waiting an extra 20 minutes because a killer left a lobby. But you keep on assuming you know what it's like for everyone else.

    I play plenty of survivor, and I don’t have that experience. It does take awhile to find a lobby, but once i’m there, even if the killer quits the game starts soon after.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085733#Comment_1085733

    No chain yanking. Promise. Blocking someone's profile on console prevents them from appearing in online play modes for the majority of titles. I'm sure there may be some exceptions (nothing is perfect) but it's kind of like Facebook. The matchmaking pulls from PlayStation Networks online resources, since it doesn't have it's own internal save database. It relies on the same pathways, so blocking a profile from all interactions also extends to encountering them in gameplay, since there can't be any guarantees that in-game communication doesn't exist. It's ment to be a protection against harassment. Of course, if a game has dedicated server-sided saves, it could be possible to get past that by using a games internal communications database, which I assume is why, as Lightning just pointed out to me, profile blocking doesn't work on PC, or so I would assume.

    @mmain Unfortunately not true, you will still be mm with blocked people.

    @Cable2486 Interesting because Blizzard revealed that Sony didn't allow them to access your blocked list so they had to create their own in-game "Avoid Player" option to do that. That was ultimately removed bc ppl were blocking players they thought were too good and it made a mess of the mm. So you have proof that Behaviour is accessing our blocked list and filtering the mm accordingly? Ime I still get blocked players in my games.

  • @Cable2486 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1085655#Comment_1085655

    That's EXACTLY the way it works on any platform. I can vouche being a PlayStation player, myself.

    Urm no. At least on PC you can ONLY block COMMUNICATION on Steam. It does not stop that player being matched with you there is currently no way for block a killer/survivor built in to DBD therefore the only way to avoid playing with that player again is only playing Killer and Lobby dodging. This is what survivor mains think is "unfair' you can be harassed to no end by 1 killer and not be able to do anything about it other than DC and hope you get a lobby quick enough that that killer doesn't get you again. DC penalties are fine if survivors are allowed to lobby dodge by knowing the killers username.

  • I know people run some crazy setups sometimes but realistically I'd say that's not a majority of players. That being said, I wish people didn't have the mentality that if they don't like a certain thing, that means they dodge. It just makes me a little sad because I don't want to bring in like a brown toolbox or something, or a broken key just to try out some of the addon combos, and have the killer think I'm bringing in some OP toolbox or purple key to try to get EZPZ wins or something.

  • I dodge poor ping lobbies.

    Healthy habit

  • @Peanits said:

    We aren't looking to punish leaving a lobby at this time. There are reasons why someone might have to leave a lobby (e.g. They forgot to select an archives challenge, they realized they aren't ready or have max BP, they see someone in the lobby that has caused issues in the past, etc.).

    If someone does dodge a lobby, that lobby remains open on dedicated servers and is pushed to the front of the queue, so it should fill back up very quickly.

    So actually killers are subject to genrush and Survivor to be camped and Tunneled. Why killer can dodge lobby and us survivors cant see killer's name (Id steam not the killer's char) d/c penalty is fine but i want to see who i play with (because issue with some killers) or remove d/c penalty

    DEV Answer plz

  • @mmain said:

    If I understand correctly the new DC penalties are to punish people that disconnect in a match simply because they don't like the way the match is going. The rationale is that disconnecting is unfair to the rest of the people in the match. I 100% agree this needed to be done.

    I posted a thread yesterday about queue times on PS4 and had people started commenting on it how when they play killer and they get stuck in a lobby they don't like because of the amount of survivors with toolboxes or whatever reason they just dodge it. Toolboxes are part of the game. The rationale behind dodging in this situation is no different than the rationale of disconnecting in a match. They don't like something so they dodge. Dodging is still disconnecting. It's just done in the lobby instead of the match. It's just as unfair to the people you dodged as disconnecting in match. Sometimes it's more unfair because you may end up waiting 30 minutes or more for your lobby to fill again.

    Why does lobby dodging get a free pass when it's done for exactly the same reason as disconnecting?

    Why do killers not have a choice to play a solo queue as opposed to being forced to play SWF?

  • You know.. if half the people that are complaining about the queue times when the killer lobby dodges would go play some killer games, we wouldn't have an issue with queue times.

  • Punishing lobby dodging would be stupid.

    I lodge as much as survivor than as killer.

    • If i see a streamer i know or a TTV name : because i'm not the an excellent player in any sides and i don't want to be laughed at in anyone stream
    • If i see multiple toxic hair neas : because you know that the game will be super toxic and as killer i don't want to be bullied for no reason and as survivor i don't want to help the bullies to escape by doing gen while they bully the killer.
    • If i see 3+ toolboxes : as survivor it means killer will be merciless and usually tunnel and even tho i don't bring anything this tunneled survivor can be me and i don't want to suffer because of others behaviour, as killer i know how powerful toolboxes are and everyone knows and bringing one is just spitting on the killer face.
  • Punishing killers for lobby dodging wouldn't solve anything.

    If players had to accept every lobby with 3+ toolboxes, even less of them would play killer (hello, longer survivor queues!) and those killers who would continue to play would resort to tunneling, moris etc.

  • Yes, let's find MORE ways to make killers not want to play so that our survivor lobbies are even longer. Lobby dodging doesn't do anything anymore since the lobby stays open and you're placed in front of the queue. You have no reason to complain.

  • You are waiting 30 min for fill lobby because killers are leaving game. No one loves constant whipping from developers every patch to pamper survivors.

  • I think a key difference is that being able to know the killers name would be a lot of information for survivors. They might learn that "oh yeah! That guy always plays this type of Hag" and could build to counter the player.

    However the killer can do this with survivors as well (although much less helpful since most survivors run the same perks and have the same playstyle in higher ranks). But that's beside the point.

    Perhaps in an effort of fairness, the killer could be unable to see survivor names as well. If a survivor was so toxic that you would dodge them in the future... Then perhaps there could be a "toxic player" report option at the end of a game that makes it so you can't play against them for a week or so. Same thing for survivors to killers. Be able to remove that killer from your games for a day/week etc.

    This report would not negatively impact the player as it's not a bannable offense to piss people off. But if you don't mind waiting longer for lobbies in order to avoid certain players that you really don't want to play with/against. Then this would be a solid option.

  • @deadbyhitbox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084147#Comment_1084147

    Okay, but you only got 3 chases in 5 gens, that's likely almost entirely your fault. I get 3 chases in like 2 minutes.

    And what if 4 gens pop in those 2 minutes? You can't fool us with your "git good" attitude. Matches need to be longer, so more chases can happen. Why, as a killer, do I have play hit and run every single match to stand a chance against THE SURVIVORS?

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1084241#Comment_1084241

    And what if 4 gens pop in those 2 minutes? You can't fool us with your "git good" attitude. Matches need to be longer, so more chases can happen. Why, as a killer, do I have play hit and run every single match to stand a chance against THE SURVIVORS?

    If you let 4 gens pop in 2 minutes it's your fault. Learn how to find somebody. If all 4 of them are uninterrupted for that long it really is your fault. Now, if they all have toolboxes, it isn't. But they're getting changed now so that really doesn't matter.

    Also, I'm not sure what you're referring to by hit and run. Do you mean hit and leave chase or something else?

1 2 3 4