It's a really bad perk now, just because of sloppy and healing changes way back when. I remember using it every game back in the day, but damn it is so bad now.
I used to use it before the healing nerf, though nowadays I would occasionally randomise my perk loadout and would use self care if I got it then. I would also sometimes use it with No Mither for the memes, but I would never willingly choose this perk for a proper loadout. Too much of a waste of time. You can find someone else or heal via a medkit quicker, or alternatively not heal at all and wait for Adrenaline or reap the benefits of Resilience and other perks which require you to be injured. Been recently enjoying using Better Together which can also help teammates find you without perks of their own. Quite a list of options better than self care really.
Bond - find teammates to get them to heal
Empathy - find other injured teammates or avoid those who are injured and being chased, better idea of where not to go so staying injured isn’t as risky.
Adrenaline - who needs healing (when injured specifically) when it’s not a part of the survivors objective? Just do gens fast and you’ll get a health state for doing the primary objective.
Inner Strength - Doing a secondary objective to have an on demand health state is always nice. While it’s capped at 5 uses, it still helps encourage removing totems.
Better Together - As I explained above, this can help teammates locate you while doing the primary objective. You also get a glimpse of where the two remaining survivors are if the third one goes down while you are doing a gen.
Finding a teammate while using Leader - Heals take less time for those healing you. Stacked with perks of their own can increase that further.
A Medkit - heals you over double the speed of self care, though has limited uses. Charge addons or Speed addons also further this one. Botany and Streetwise increase efficiency more than Self Care does too.
One of your teammates runs We’ll Make It and / or Botany Knowledge. One makes heals take 8 seconds after an unhook, the other brings it down to ~12 seconds I believe. You don’t even have to have anything in this case aside from finding the survivor running one of these.
Pharmacy (+ Plunderer’s if you struggle to find chests) - Guaranteed Green Medkit, though relies on teammates not finding and taking chests first.
Perks which have the prerequisite of being injured - Resilience, This is Not Happening, Dead Hard can all only be used while injured. I personally like combining No Mither with at least one of these.
Only benefits to using self care is that your team doesn’t need to leave a gen to heal you and it can be used infinitely... not much else going for it really since it’s simply outclassed by other options.
TL;DR - Self Care is arguably one of, if not, the worst of about 10 different ways to get healed. Not worth using in a loadout you want to do well with. Sorry for the wall of text. There’s probably errors too since predictive text is beyond drunk on mobile 🤷♂️
when did this nerf happen and what changed? I didnt realize this isnt the most important perk to learn first anymore.
I switched from xbox to pc so im starting from nothing in my perk pool, but during the switch i was on hiatus from dbd since after summer bbq event (ill miss my pro-pain hammer)
when did this nerf happen and what changed? I didnt realize this isnt the most important perk to learn first anymore.
I switched from xbox to pc so im starting from nothing in my perk pool, but during the switch i was on hiatus from dbd since after summer bbq event (ill miss my pro-pain hammer)
The nerf happened a while back, can’t remember exactly when, though healing was changed from 12 to 16 seconds, which translated to self care Speed is 24 to 32 seconds. There’s far more worthwhile ways to get healed, heck, a lot of people don’t heal at all just so they can rush gens and get Adrenaline to pop. It can still have it’s benefits of infinite use and not require a teammate, it just takes a lot more time than someone else healing you or just powering through gens.
The nerf happened a while back, can’t remember exactly when, though healing was changed from 12 to 16 seconds, which translated to self care Speed is 24 to 32 seconds. There’s far more worthwhile ways to get healed, heck, a lot of people don’t heal at all just so they can rush gens and get Adrenaline to pop. It can still have it’s benefits of infinite use and not require a teammate, it just takes a lot more time than someone else healing you or just powering through gens.
i appreciate the feedback, im less survivor than killer but i switched so i can enjoy being scared by chainsaws for the month of october. Adrenaline has always been a nice perk to unlock, I may switch to meg then to prioritize it as my first shareable perk. what are the other ways to heal? Or the other more useful perks in your opinion?
i appreciate the feedback, im less survivor than killer but i switched so i can enjoy being scared by chainsaws for the month of october. Adrenaline has always been a nice perk to unlock, I may switch to meg then to prioritize it as my first shareable perk. what are the other ways to heal? Or the other more useful perks in your opinion?
I made a full list in a comment above here in all other ways to deal with being injured.
Adrenaline is regarded as one of the meta perks currently, since it heals you one health state for your team doing your primary objective in the event you are injured or dying, as well as giving you the 5 second speed boost. I personally don’t use it, though when playing killer I usually see this on at least two survivors.
Some perks require you to run them, others require other survivors to run them, but the best one currently in my opinion is Nancy’s perk Inner Strength as it incentivises removing totems to get a health state for going into a locker for half the standard healing time, or a quarter of the self care healing time. If you don’t own Nancy though you could always go for Botany Knowledge (Claudette) / Streetwise (Nea) and a Medkit to heal yourself, or use Leader (Dwight) to give those healing you 25% better healing speed. For the full list, see my wall of text further up in this thread :)
I always use it. The way I look at it is med kits run out. I don't want to go looking for chests that are likely looted already. I don't want to rely on team mates to always heal me. I am wasting time going looking for someone, then you find someone and then that is two people not doing gens because they have to stop to heal me up.
I prefer to be self sufficent and just heal myself up.
I run it more often than not. But that's because I don't have any suitable alternatives. I'd bring a Medkit, but I tend to have less than most, so I save them for later.
I'm not a good juker or looper so I tend to get smacked a lot. 99% of time I'll run it unless I play Nancy and jump in the locker for a quick heal. I'll take a med kit also to use on others.
I always use it. The way I look at it is med kits run out. I don't want to go looking for chests that are likely looted already. I don't want to rely on team mates to always heal me. I am wasting time going looking for someone, then you find someone and then that is two people not doing gens because they have to stop to heal me up.
I prefer to be self sufficent and just heal myself up.
The way I see it is a decent medkit gives 2 heals on average, if you need more than 2 heals per game it's probably because the perk you could be running in place of self care is disadvantaging you. We all know the survivors win when less time is spent doing non generator actions and frankly the 32 second heal is not worth it, people love to argue that in conjunction with other perks the perk becomes quite decent, but the problem with that is you're running 2 perks for the equivalent of 1 decent perk.
I’ll run it when I’m leveling someone new up and it’s all I’ve got, but I won’t use it in any of my primary builds. I used to use it all the time, though, but then I got used to operating without it and no longer have much of a drive to equip this perk anymore.
I use selfcare only on lower ranks when im playing on another account. People who are new to the game almost never heal you directly after unhooking they just sprint away so it comes in handy below rank 15
Can't remember the last time I ran Self Care. I'm really bad and go down quick, and I play solo, so I probably should run it, but it just wastes so much time.
Meant to click Almost Never. I've only used it a couple of times since Clown came out, but that was for my "Neverending" medkit build, where I use that, Botany and Streetwise.
Realised that Inner Strength have much more potencial. It encourages to do totems (which still give emblem progress), counters NOED and ignores mangled effect.
Edit: realised that it also counters Nurse's calling.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Usually only when I play a survivor who I have no medkits on.
Never nowadays.
It's no longer in my main build, but I occasionally use it when I want to use a toolbox or flashlight.
I realeased how much better botany knowledge is and just run it with a ok medkit instead
I got dbd in April so I never experienced pre nerf self care
It's a really bad perk now, just because of sloppy and healing changes way back when. I remember using it every game back in the day, but damn it is so bad now.
I remember when it was 80% lmao, extremely OP.
I sometimes play with Random perks so I can't truthfully say never.
Outside of that though, I prefer Pharmacy, Bond, or Adrenaline as ways to heal.
Self Care is a terrible perk.
Inner Strength 100x’s better.
I Almost Never used selfcare like a year ago.
Today I Never use it, period.
I am potato.
I always use it but I run a medic build o Quentin so I have Botany as well.
Recently stopped using self care to try something diffrent in that perk slot
I used to use it before the healing nerf, though nowadays I would occasionally randomise my perk loadout and would use self care if I got it then. I would also sometimes use it with No Mither for the memes, but I would never willingly choose this perk for a proper loadout. Too much of a waste of time. You can find someone else or heal via a medkit quicker, or alternatively not heal at all and wait for Adrenaline or reap the benefits of Resilience and other perks which require you to be injured. Been recently enjoying using Better Together which can also help teammates find you without perks of their own. Quite a list of options better than self care really.
Bond - find teammates to get them to heal
Empathy - find other injured teammates or avoid those who are injured and being chased, better idea of where not to go so staying injured isn’t as risky.
Adrenaline - who needs healing (when injured specifically) when it’s not a part of the survivors objective? Just do gens fast and you’ll get a health state for doing the primary objective.
Inner Strength - Doing a secondary objective to have an on demand health state is always nice. While it’s capped at 5 uses, it still helps encourage removing totems.
Better Together - As I explained above, this can help teammates locate you while doing the primary objective. You also get a glimpse of where the two remaining survivors are if the third one goes down while you are doing a gen.
Finding a teammate while using Leader - Heals take less time for those healing you. Stacked with perks of their own can increase that further.
A Medkit - heals you over double the speed of self care, though has limited uses. Charge addons or Speed addons also further this one. Botany and Streetwise increase efficiency more than Self Care does too.
One of your teammates runs We’ll Make It and / or Botany Knowledge. One makes heals take 8 seconds after an unhook, the other brings it down to ~12 seconds I believe. You don’t even have to have anything in this case aside from finding the survivor running one of these.
Pharmacy (+ Plunderer’s if you struggle to find chests) - Guaranteed Green Medkit, though relies on teammates not finding and taking chests first.
Perks which have the prerequisite of being injured - Resilience, This is Not Happening, Dead Hard can all only be used while injured. I personally like combining No Mither with at least one of these.
Only benefits to using self care is that your team doesn’t need to leave a gen to heal you and it can be used infinitely... not much else going for it really since it’s simply outclassed by other options.
TL;DR - Self Care is arguably one of, if not, the worst of about 10 different ways to get healed. Not worth using in a loadout you want to do well with. Sorry for the wall of text. There’s probably errors too since predictive text is beyond drunk on mobile 🤷♂️
Self care is a bad perk. Waste too much time
Only when I'm using an aggressive build and I plan to take hits for people.
waste of a perk slot against certain killers, wastes too much time, other perks do the job better and you can get teammates to heal you
when did this nerf happen and what changed? I didnt realize this isnt the most important perk to learn first anymore.
I switched from xbox to pc so im starting from nothing in my perk pool, but during the switch i was on hiatus from dbd since after summer bbq event (ill miss my pro-pain hammer)
The nerf happened a while back, can’t remember exactly when, though healing was changed from 12 to 16 seconds, which translated to self care Speed is 24 to 32 seconds. There’s far more worthwhile ways to get healed, heck, a lot of people don’t heal at all just so they can rush gens and get Adrenaline to pop. It can still have it’s benefits of infinite use and not require a teammate, it just takes a lot more time than someone else healing you or just powering through gens.
i appreciate the feedback, im less survivor than killer but i switched so i can enjoy being scared by chainsaws for the month of october. Adrenaline has always been a nice perk to unlock, I may switch to meg then to prioritize it as my first shareable perk. what are the other ways to heal? Or the other more useful perks in your opinion?
I made a full list in a comment above here in all other ways to deal with being injured.
Adrenaline is regarded as one of the meta perks currently, since it heals you one health state for your team doing your primary objective in the event you are injured or dying, as well as giving you the 5 second speed boost. I personally don’t use it, though when playing killer I usually see this on at least two survivors.
Some perks require you to run them, others require other survivors to run them, but the best one currently in my opinion is Nancy’s perk Inner Strength as it incentivises removing totems to get a health state for going into a locker for half the standard healing time, or a quarter of the self care healing time. If you don’t own Nancy though you could always go for Botany Knowledge (Claudette) / Streetwise (Nea) and a Medkit to heal yourself, or use Leader (Dwight) to give those healing you 25% better healing speed. For the full list, see my wall of text further up in this thread :)
Just run a medkit or pharmacy!
Atleast Pharmacy improves chest opening speed
I always use it. The way I look at it is med kits run out. I don't want to go looking for chests that are likely looted already. I don't want to rely on team mates to always heal me. I am wasting time going looking for someone, then you find someone and then that is two people not doing gens because they have to stop to heal me up.
I prefer to be self sufficent and just heal myself up.
I run it more often than not. But that's because I don't have any suitable alternatives. I'd bring a Medkit, but I tend to have less than most, so I save them for later.
Nah. It's a waste of my and my teammates time.
I'm not a good juker or looper so I tend to get smacked a lot. 99% of time I'll run it unless I play Nancy and jump in the locker for a quick heal. I'll take a med kit also to use on others.
I do when I plan to heal others so I can still heal myself without wasting the medkit
The way I see it is a decent medkit gives 2 heals on average, if you need more than 2 heals per game it's probably because the perk you could be running in place of self care is disadvantaging you. We all know the survivors win when less time is spent doing non generator actions and frankly the 32 second heal is not worth it, people love to argue that in conjunction with other perks the perk becomes quite decent, but the problem with that is you're running 2 perks for the equivalent of 1 decent perk.
I can't rely on randos
I can't trust randoms either. They are the true killer.
Kind of hard when Claudette is only Lvl 33 and you don't use the shrine.
I do use it on Claudette though.
If I have no med kits, then yea I bring Self Care, but otherwise I'm just gonna bring Adrenalin and use a med kit too heal myself.
I've replaced it with a medkit with added charges and botany, much better!
If I want to bring other items I'll swap out bk for either bond or self care
I’ll run it when I’m leveling someone new up and it’s all I’ve got, but I won’t use it in any of my primary builds. I used to use it all the time, though, but then I got used to operating without it and no longer have much of a drive to equip this perk anymore.
Gotta heal somehow if all my teammates are dead lol...
Med-kits will be buffed so SC won't be so needed.
I use selfcare only on lower ranks when im playing on another account. People who are new to the game almost never heal you directly after unhooking they just sprint away so it comes in handy below rank 15
Can't remember the last time I ran Self Care. I'm really bad and go down quick, and I play solo, so I probably should run it, but it just wastes so much time.
I've been running Inner Strength a lot. If I'm not running that, it's either Bond, Empathy or Iron Will. Something to find people with.
I run Inner Strength with it so I can save my inner strength for the E.G.C
on very rare occasions
Meant to click Almost Never. I've only used it a couple of times since Clown came out, but that was for my "Neverending" medkit build, where I use that, Botany and Streetwise.
Realised that Inner Strength have much more potencial. It encourages to do totems (which still give emblem progress), counters NOED and ignores mangled effect.
Edit: realised that it also counters Nurse's calling.