Hiding Survivors Names Till End

Upon loading into a lobby, other survivors in the lobby and the killer hosting the lobby should not be able to see usernames. Although, they SHOULD still be able to see players ping in case they want to dodge it.


Why?

Most often, especially on smaller platforms like console, once you reach red ranks you play all the same killers. This results in them dodging you when they see your name in the lobby if they dislike you and or bringing a mori or playing a certain way against you i.e. camping your hook or tunneling you. Also to say, other survivors dodge each other too so that’s why even survivors shouldn’t be able to see each other’s names.


Current Issue?

With it’s current status you get barely any games and endless dodges. And like mentioned above, if they don’t dodge then they just tunnel you specifically or bring a mori just for you.


Benefits Of Hiding Names Till End?

This will result in more games being played in general and more fair gameplay from both sides. By them not being able to see the names it will eliminate any judgements they have just because they know you from past games or whatever the case is. And by hiding names from other survivors in the lobby it allows for no special gameplay against each other either i.e. sand bagging, body blocking or dodging each other etc.


Thoughts?

Comments

  • @Eveline said:

    I agree. :)

    Yesssssss 😩

  • This would also make reporting survivors impossible, since you wouldn't know which survivor was exploiting or whatever.

  • @Orion said:

    This would also make reporting survivors impossible, since you wouldn't know which survivor was exploiting or whatever.

    Possibly adding a number system? Like make each person 1-4 instead of names and at end screen the number matches their name and what character they were playing. I’m sure something can be sorted out.

  • You are treating a symptom and not the issue.

    More viable killers and playstyles would result in a more diverse roster at the top ranks, the game at all is more fun and a better report, ban system against DC and dodging will put the game in a healthier state.

    The later will come this summer with dedicated servers.

    With own servers BHVR will be able to monitor who DC's how often and could react accordingly.

    Hiding names would just add a layer of unconvince on top of the game.

  • I'd be for it if there was a way to still report problematic players.

  • @TAG said:

    I'd be for it if there was a way to still report problematic players.

    I agree.

  • You can always see the players you are currently playing with via the steam platform (not sure about consoles).


    if you dont enable me to see lobby names in the lobby, then i will dodge them ingame (i.e. hard DC) if they are "known" to me.

  • @Master said:

    You can always see the players you are currently playing with via the steam platform (not sure about consoles).

    if you dont enable me to see lobby names in the lobby, then i will dodge them ingame (i.e. hard DC) if they are "known" to me.

    I think dodging in game gets you a ban, I’m not sure. But yes, on console you can’t see who the killer is till after 5 mins of being in the game. But you can always see the survivors.

  • @Master said:

    You can always see the players you are currently playing with via the steam platform (not sure about consoles).

    if you dont enable me to see lobby names in the lobby, then i will dodge them ingame (i.e. hard DC) if they are "known" to me.

    On console you can’t see who the killer is until after 5 minutes of playing the game but, survivor is always visible.

  • I disagree. I play a lot of solo surv and I don't want to play with teammates who I know are going to dc early or killing themselves on the first hook or farm their mates.

    The same applies to the killer's perspective. Survivors who are dc'ing also ruin the match for a lot of killers.

  • @NoShinyPony said:

    I disagree. I play a lot of solo surv and I don't want to play with teammates who I know are going to dc early or killing themselves on the first hook or farm their mates.

    The same applies to the killer's perspective. Survivors who are dc'ing also ruin the match for a lot of killers.

    Sounds like a game issue, they need to enforce a harder policy on banning these people if you’re reporting them. But I understand where you’re coming from.

  • No thanks, aside from other methods of seeing who your playing with, there are plenty of people I have no interest in playing alongside or against based on their behavior.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    No thanks, aside from other methods of seeing who your playing with, there are plenty of people I have no interest in playing alongside or against based on their behavior.

    What platform do you play on? And do you report these people?

  • @Telli_Fury Killing yourself on the first hook and yolo safes are just bad play, not bannable behaviour. So I just don't play with people who I know are going to play like that.

  • Maybe it would help not to play like a douche. If anybody plays so toxic that he gets dodged by name alone, that maybe his fault. Remember kindergarten when no one wanted to play with you? It's the same.

  • @Entità We can have the discussion here, if there even is the need for further discussion. It simply isn't a good idea, several people have explained why.

  • @NoShinyPony said:

    @Entità We can have the discussion here, if there even is the need for further discussion. It simply isn't a good idea, several people have explained why.

    What imperative need does a player have to know other players' names before or during the trial?

  • @Entità Why are you asking? As I stated, people explained why. It's here in the thread?!

  • @Master @NoShinyPony As I wrote in my proposal, linked above, reporting infringements it will keep being possible with the Player-Character link, shown at the end of the trial. Your interest to dodge mates, as a survivor, or survivors, as a killer, is an arbitrary privilege: survivors cannot dodge toxic killers at the campfire. Give that right to ALL players, otherwise remove it to all players. I prefer the second option: in ranked matches no one should be entitled to choose their own opponent.

  • "survivors cannot dodge toxic killers at the campfire. Give that right to ALL players, otherwise remove it to all players."


    This WAS possible and was abused to no end by the SURVIVORside of the community, even going so far as trading blocklists with each other to identify "camper", "tunneler", "Nurse mains", "Freddy mains", "Noed user", etc.

    Often killer player ended up on that lists even if the camping or tunneling accuse was a blatant LIE or they just played an unpopular killer just ONCE.

    That's why it was stripped away from them. Rightfully so.

  • @Entità I think @Wolf74 worded it well. I also explained why I want to have the choice to dodge certain random teammates. If survivors behave so bad that nobody wants to play with them, it's their own fault.

    At the moment, there is no separation between Ranked and Casual mode in DbD. If there was a real Ranked mode, then that would be something different, but since it doesn't exist we don't have to discuss it at this point.

  • @Telli_Fury said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/344133#Comment_344133

    What platform do you play on? And do you report these people?

    If they are bad enough, most things I will just overlook as circumstantial. Playing on Xbox now that my PC started falling apart. This community has me strictly solo, so many kids that haven't hit puberty or competitive maturity.

  • @Orion said:

    This would also make reporting survivors impossible, since you wouldn't know which survivor was exploiting or whatever.

    This is what would worry me too. There's just way too much risk associated with it.

  • @NoShinyPony @Wolf74 The idea only a side could abuse such a knowledge is so biased that it shouldn't ever exist: there is no division between "saint killers", who always act in a reasonable and righteous way, and "infamous survivors", who abuse and dodge any time they can. There are both good players and bad players, honest people and toxic people, and bad and toxic people shouldn't be allowed to act with arrogance, dodging whoever they want, just because they play the killer side. I insist: no one should know other players' identities, so good people won't be discriminated anymore because of their skill and bad players will be deprived the mean to bully other players with targeted toxic behaviors or dodging.

  • @Entità This is not a "killers vs. survivors" thing. It's a "normal players don't want to deal with people who are ruining the match" thing. A normal, skilled survivor doesn't have problems finding matches.

  • @NoShinyPony Maybe I did not say it clear enough. Did they take out the killer information from the survivors because they were abusing it? Very well, they must also take out information on survivors from the killers, because they abuse them too. The risk of abuse is bilateral: the remedy must also be bilateral. I'll give you a concrete example. I find it normal and healthy that the killer adapts his style of play to the survivors he sees at the campfire: for example, if he sees four items, he equips Franklin. This is in keeping with his power role and responds to fair gaming tactics. On the contrary, the killer who, as soon as I finish in the game with him, obsessively searches for me, chases me, hooks me and facecamps me all the time, hitting me on the hook, completely disinterested in the game and the other survivors, and that at the end writes me "I love you" in private chat, is clearly driven by hatred towards me as a person, whose sole purpose is to ruin the games in which he's combined with me, even at the cost of letting the other three survivors run away. If my nick were obscured, he would see a Claudette like all the others and would normally play. Before anyone raises false assumptions, I do not use Decisive Strike or Adrenaline or Exhaustion perks: I play stealthily as a survivor, and Myers as a killer.

  • @NoShinyPony said:

    @Entità This is not a "killers vs. survivors" thing. It's a "normal players don't want to deal with people who are ruining the match" thing. A normal, skilled survivor doesn't have problems finding matches.

    For platforms like console, specifically Xbox, we have a lot of problems finding matches when you’re red ranks and people know you. Doesn’t mean they know you for doing something bad, they just simply could know you for being good. Or when they chased you they were having a hard time, this relates back to the bad ranking system DBD has as well.

  • My bad, I tried searching for relative posts before making this one.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    @Entità "The idea only a side could abuse such a knowledge is so biased that it shouldn't ever exist"

    Is not biased if said abuse is a fact! let me share a 10 excerpts from the steams forums

    https://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/search/?q=KILLER+BLACKLIST&gidforum=412446292756763871&include_deleted=1&p=1

    1-"I just wanna know if the guy is on my blocklist or not? I block some other player for something i dont like about him, its my choice right?"

    2-"Is there a way to block a person so you don't get matched with them?"

    3-"I'm tired of getting killers who I've blocked because of their negative attitudes. I've also been getting killers I block because of their bad connection"

    4-"So, shouldn't camping killers get at least something?! Maybe pinning a blacklist will help?"

    5-"If you don't let us see the killer's name, give us a blacklist ability"

    6-"Originally posted by *******: And then everyone who beats you will get blocked.

    whats your problem with that?"

    7-"Is it allowed to code an 3th Programm that will tell you if a Killer (or a Player) is on an global Blacklist for lets say Camping (Killer) or Trolling (Survivor)?"

    8-"survivors are still blacklisting killers who kill them

    so precious

    ^_^"

    9-"How to blacklist freddy from the search?

    Seriously am tired of this killer, Every match he pops up and i want a more diverse set of killers instead of just playing against one."

    10-MLGA was introduced to give survivors a chance to see the killers ping. This seems legit, since there was no indicator back then. Then things like blacklisting people for this and that had been added and at the end, people would blacklist the killer if he used OP Freddy.

    Just rember for every 1 biased killer existing, there are 4 biased survivors who exist too!

    So... I understand your point but this doesn’t help the discussion. Or more so I should ask, what exactly is your stance on this topic? This point kinda seemed like you were trying to say killers and survivors are equally toxic to each other.

  • @Telli_Fury No problem. :)


    @Skarkio Maybe I did not say it clear enough. Did they take out the killer information from the survivors because they were abusing it? Very well, they must also take out information on survivors from the killers, because they abuse them too. The risk of abuse is bilateral: the remedy must also be bilateral. I'll give you a concrete example. I find it normal and healthy that the killer adapts his style of play to the survivors he sees at the campfire: for example, if he sees four items, he equips Franklin. This is in keeping with his power role and responds to fair gaming tactics. On the contrary, the killer who, as soon as I finish in the game with him, obsessively searches for me, chases me, hooks me and facecamps me all the time, hitting me on the hook, completely disinterested in the game and the other survivors, and that at the end writes me "I love you" in private chat, is clearly driven by hatred towards me as a person, whose sole purpose is to ruin the games in which he's combined with me, even at the cost of letting the other three survivors run away. If my nick were obscured, he would see a Claudette like all the others and would normally play. Before anyone raises false assumptions, I do not use Decisive Strike or Adrenaline or Exhaustion perks: I play stealthily as a survivor, and Myers as a killer. Moreover, I'm a PS4 player and I'm not responsible if other survivors abuse or abused some info related to the killer. My point is simple: no one should have the possibility to dodge or bully specific opponents, both killers and survivors should be deprived of the players' nicknames visibility until the trial ends. People who reject this proposal want simply to keep the killer privilege to dodge or bully survivors they don't like or hate.

  • @Entità

    Sorry, buddy, but that is what actually happend.

    The potential abuse with these informations is way up higher on the survivor side of the game.

    Survivor proved that and that's why it got taken away. End of story.

  • @Wolf74 Maybe I did not say it clear enough. Did they take out the killer information from the survivors because they were abusing it? Very well, they must also take out information on survivors from the killers, because they abuse them too. The risk of abuse is bilateral: the remedy must also be bilateral. I'll give you a concrete example. I find it normal and healthy that the killer adapts his style of play to the survivors he sees at the campfire: for example, if he sees four items, he equips Franklin. This is in keeping with his power role and responds to fair gaming tactics. On the contrary, the killer who, as soon as I finish in the game with him, obsessively searches for me, chases me, hooks me and facecamps me all the time, hitting me on the hook, completely disinterested in the game and the other survivors, and that at the end writes me "I love you" in private chat, is clearly driven by hatred towards me as a person, whose sole purpose is to ruin the games in which he's combined with me, even at the cost of letting the other three survivors run away. If my nick were obscured, he would see a Claudette like all the others and would normally play. Before anyone raises false assumptions, I do not use Decisive Strike or Adrenaline or Exhaustion perks: I play stealthily as a survivor, and Myers as a killer. Moreover, I'm a PS4 player and I'm not responsible if other survivors abuse or abused some info related to the killer. My point is simple: no one should have the possibility to dodge or bully specific opponents, both killers and survivors should be deprived of the players' nicknames visibility until the trial ends. People who reject this proposal want simply to keep the killer privilege to dodge or bully survivors they don't like or hate.

  • Is copy paste answering considered spamming?

  • @Wolf74 It's not my fault if you ignore my posts and force me to repeat them. Answer a simple question: why should a killer be allowed to bully a survivor? No player should do so... why are you defending the killer privilege to rage against specific people without any reason?


    P.S. You are not god: write "end of story" to your dog, not to me, thanks.

  • @Wolf74 said:

    @Entità

    Sorry, buddy, but that is what actually happend.

    The potential abuse with these informations is way up higher on the survivor side of the game.

    Survivor proved that and that's why it got taken away. End of story.

    Doesn't matter if reality proves them wrong, some people will try to argue that they're still right.

  • Both sides had the same "priviliges", one side abused so hard it and got it taken away, the other didn't (at least not enough to force consequences) and kept it.

    So don't blame the guys that didn't.


    And if you make killer so mad that they "hate" you, maybe reconsider your style of play.

    And last but not least, killer have good reasons to dodge. High ping, mocking nicknames, streamer tags, clan tags, known toxic player, last second switch. You can't force killer to play with those people.

  • @Orion I'm just saying that the fact your opponent abused some info doesn't justify you to do the same with someone else: abuses should be prevented from anybody towards anybody. Anonymous players, so no one can do wrong things. Everybody shall be able to dodge high ping lobbies or toxic full-flashlight teams.


    @Wolf74 I did something to be hated by the killer with Spine Chill, Distortion, Iron Will and Lightweight? Very funny. XD


    @Skarkio Yours are examples of CRIMES: death threats, sexual discriminations... They don't depend on whether the nicknames are revealed before, during or after the trial: they depend on whether the other people are honest guys or not. :(


    Your point is that killers need a kind of self defense, a knowledge to avoid toxic people. Right. I fear some people abuse that knowledge to get a revenge against the "survivor category", regardless to personal responsibilities. Different points of view and, maybe, different experiences... See you in the Fog!

  • I like all the points and I think everyone is valid. I don’t think anyone should be forced to play anything but, I feel like when you decide to play the game in general you shouldn’t be influenced to leave based off who you’re playing and I feel like leaving everything anonymous might make it a bit equal. We haven’t experienced this change and maybe never will but, I think it could result in more “fair” gameplay in most situations.

  • Upon loading into a lobby, other survivors in the lobby and the killer hosting the lobby should not be able to see usernames.

    Hey bro I think you make a very good point. This is a change I would love to see as a survivor. Others make a good point about reporting, Maybe you just need at the end to have the survivors character name next to their names at the end. Tbh I think having their names in game would be okay. I think it is just pre game that is the issue when they can make your build to kill one specific person. I think the killer should only see the physical person and then when the game starts they can see the name. This I think is the best middle ground so killers can report cheating and will make farming games harder. Survivors should not be blocked from seeing each others names.

  • @Nea_Death_Experience said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/49561/hiding-survivors-names-till-end

    Hey bro I think you make a very good point. This is a change I would love to see as a survivor. Others make a good point about reporting, Maybe you just need at the end to have the survivors character name next to their names at the end. Tbh I think having their names in game would be okay. I think it is just pre game that is the issue when they can make your build to kill one specific person. I think the killer should only see the physical person and then when the game starts they can see the name. This I think is the best middle ground so killers can report cheating and will make farming games harder. Survivors should not be blocked from seeing each others names.

    I agree with you. Obviously my idea is not polished so, additional things will be needed such as making sure people can still be reported accurately. Other things could be preference like, more people would rather see survivors names in game but they agree with the killer not seeing there’s. Everything about this idea is just a conversation starter and can be tweaked. :)

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    @Entità

    Well... in the old system as soon as a group of survivors joined the lobby, they could access to your profile, via your name in the steam interfaz, see what achievements you had and based in that could guess what killer you mained,or used the most! if they detected a nurse main, they leaved the lobby!

    In my particular case, as soon as they noticed my name, they equipped at least 2 flashlights! being a Wraith main without lightborn I sufferd through endless matches, but as soon as the devs changed the system, "magically" there were no more flashlight in my lobbies! coincidence? not!

    Is the same reason as why the devs changed that survivors now couldn't see the killers perks till every one of them died or escaped!

    why they changed it? because survivors abused it! heavily!!!

    As they did when they could see the killer's name/profile

    You could think that don't depend of whether the nicknames are revealed, but the fact is yes, survivors abused their privileges in several forms, as wolf74 pointed out, and the result is killers can see survivors names but not the oposite!

    Blame your fellow survivors for that!

    Very interesting, so correct people must pay for other people's wrongs. Your idea of justice and fairness is quite... odd.

  • @Wolf74 said:

    Both sides had the same "priviliges", one side abused so hard it and got it taken away, the other didn't (at least not enough to force consequences) and kept it.

    So don't blame the guys that didn't.

    And if you make killer so mad that they "hate" you, maybe reconsider your style of play.

    And last but not least, killer have good reasons to dodge. High ping, mocking nicknames, streamer tags, clan tags, known toxic player, last second switch. You can't force killer to play with those people.

    Nice! Why should a survivor be forced to play with facecampers or tunnelers, then? The idea only survivors can be toxic is wrong: I see too many killers who ruin survivors' game experience, then they DC or commit suicide and the trial is gone for all. Don't forget all 5 players must have fun: a killer without 4 survivors cannot play, 4 survivors without a killer cannot play...

  • I 100% agree with this. As far as reporting, you could still view the names at the end. If the issue is you wish to report after you are killed but before the match ends, you can still do so without seeing the names. This is how some games are.

    At Rank 1 on PS4, I run into the same few killers every night. Sometimes even multiple times in a row and some start dodging or simply camping/tunneling you. Not fun at all. I was the last one, no gens completed but managed to easily complete two and find the hatch thanks to OoO, Sole Survivor and that perk for bonus repair speed if you're the last one. I got some nasty hate mail over it and that night ran into him twice, got tunneled asap and camped. Lost two pips.

  • @Nicholas said:

    I 100% agree with this. As far as reporting, you could still view the names at the end. If the issue is you wish to report after you are killed but before the match ends, you can still do so without seeing the names. This is how some games are.

    At Rank 1 on PS4, I run into the same few killers every night. Sometimes even multiple times in a row and some start dodging or simply camping/tunneling you. Not fun at all. I was the last one, no gens completed but managed to easily complete two and find the hatch thanks to OoO, Sole Survivor and that perk for bonus repair speed if you're the last one. I got some nasty hate mail over it and that night ran into him twice, got tunneled asap and camped. Lost two pips.

    Yes! I think this situation has happened to all of us.

  • Upon loading into a lobby, other survivors in the lobby and the killer hosting the lobby should not be able to see usernames.

    Hey bro I think you make a very good point. This is a change I would love to see as a survivor. Others make a good point about reporting, Maybe you just need at the end to have the survivors character name next to their names at the end. Tbh I think having their names in game would be okay. I think it is just pre game that is the issue when they can make your build to kill one specific person. I think the killer should only see the physical person and then when the game starts they can see the name. This I think is the best middle ground so killers can report cheating as in game they can see their names. Survivors should be able to see each others games because it is a team game after all. I see a lot of dudes I know and we have a good community together.

    I think its a good idea bro.

  • @Entità

    "Nice! Why should a survivor be forced to play with facecampers or tunnelers, then? The idea only survivors can be toxic is wrong: I see too many killers who ruin survivors' game experience,"

    Sorry, but you are actually wrong.

    What you describe as "ruining [their] game experience" is just the killer doing his objective.

    Killing people, removing them from the game. Tunneling and camping are just ways to do that. Sometimes it is just smart and efficient to do it, sometimes it is more hurting the killer than the survivor (Kill 1 while the other 3 basically get a free escape).

    The thing is, the killer player is playing an evil, demonic, psycho, serial killer. His play being "toxic" is part of the job description. He is NOT the nice guy. He (or she) is the enemy, the antagonist, the villain.

    If dying is "ruining your gameexperience" in general, you maybe should consider playing a different game.

    To me the whole concept (that the Devs support, most likely due to popular demand) that every survivor has some sort of "right" to play each match for a certain amount of time, is still strange to me.

    Someone is always the unlucky one that is removed from the match first.

    If that happens to you so often that it bothers you (you not personally, but generally speaking) to the point that you dislike the game, maybe a change of playstyle would help.

    Avoid getting found and chased first might help. (Seriously)

    That would also help the killer enjoy the game more, because that would actually slow down gen rush if more survivor would try to avoid being first to get caught.

  • @Wolf74 said:

    @Entità

    "Nice! Why should a survivor be forced to play with facecampers or tunnelers, then? The idea only survivors can be toxic is wrong: I see too many killers who ruin survivors' game experience,"

    Sorry, but you are actually wrong.

    What you describe as "ruining [their] game experience" is just the killer doing his objective.

    Killing people, removing them from the game. Tunneling and camping are just ways to do that. Sometimes it is just smart and efficient to do it, sometimes it is more hurting the killer than the survivor (Kill 1 while the other 3 basically get a free escape).

    The thing is, the killer player is playing an evil, demonic, psycho, serial killer. His play being "toxic" is part of the job description. He is NOT the nice guy. He (or she) is the enemy, the antagonist, the villain.

    If dying is "ruining your gameexperience" in general, you maybe should consider playing a different game.

    To me the whole concept (that the Devs support, most likely due to popular demand) that every survivor has some sort of "right" to play each match for a certain amount of time, is still strange to me.

    Someone is always the unlucky one that is removed from the match first.

    If that happens to you so often that it bothers you (you not personally, but generally speaking) to the point that you dislike the game, maybe a change of playstyle would help.

    Avoid getting found and chased first might help. (Seriously)

    That would also help the killer enjoy the game more, because that would actually slow down gen rush if more survivor would try to avoid being first to get caught.

    Hey man I agree with what you are saying to an extent but i think there is a middle ground between your and his opinion.

    As a survivor it sucks to queue for a game for ages, get a game, get downed for whatever reason and then be stared at till your dead. Another one is just to be put on a hook, saved and downed over and over. You can blame the team mates or whatever to counter my argument here but the actual issue is some killers need to play like this to get kills. Funnelling and camping is not hard and it is not fun for either side.

    Any Leatherface that says he loves looking at the hooked dude with his chainsaw reeving is lying. Killers just aren't strong enough to not have to do this and some killers find them selves at a higher rank because of the pip system or face smurfing survivors that they simply aren't use to facing.

    You are right bro, but step down a second and listen to what he is saying.

‹ 1 2