So much for a “fog” vial

and this is with the iri addon post nerf.

24bceb9c-3ab7-4919-bab1-64a1f533b5a2.png

”i think we did a pretty good job so far”

it also looked way clearer in game rather than this screen shot and i dont have any filters or anything on either.

Comments

  • @tjt85 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979611#Comment_3979611

    It's fair to point out all the nerfs that The Ghoul received shortly after release and yet he's still a consistently popular Killer. He hasn't been given the Chucky treatment by BHVR just yet.

    But the Fog Vials… Yeah, they've reportedly all but disappeared. I'm not playing DBD at the moment because I'm not happy with the state of the game, but I do still watch streamers play and I've seen only one today. To be fair, the Survivor got decent value but the streamer had pretty high gamma settings, so I think that's why it was more effective (we know they work better on certain maps as well).

    In any case, the community seems to think that it's pretty much dead in its current state.

    image.png image.png image.png

    The gamma settings don't really make a difference.

    When you see a super bright fog picture, it's probably because of a lighting effect in the map itself, and not the player's gamma settings.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979649#Comment_3979649

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OFURXIMM2NNH/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/R9ENNJX069AJ/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/TLE0PHX57856/image.png

    The gamma settings don't really make a difference.

    When you see a super bright fog picture, it's probably because of a lighting effect in the map itself, and not the player's gamma settings.

    I did not know that. I think I did see the affect being amplified by shaders somewhere but that's obviously quite different to in game setting (and could be map related too).

    Thanks for clearing that up.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979575#Comment_3979575

    Ghoul did not get an immediate grace period. BHVR literally gave Ghoul 25 nerfs before starting the grace period.

    Likewise, it's absolutely fine for Fog Vials to get nerfs, before starting the grace period.

    It's literally the same thing. The grace period for EVERYTHING IN THE GAME should start when BHVR is ready for it.

    Ah yes he got so many nerfs on the PTB….and then got the sliding add on basekit that made him an absolute scourge to deal with. But lets leave that part out right? Consistent with the rest of the changes he got. Minor nerfs around the edges while ignoring the actual problems.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979649#Comment_3979649

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OFURXIMM2NNH/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/R9ENNJX069AJ/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/TLE0PHX57856/image.png

    The gamma settings don't really make a difference.

    When you see a super bright fog picture, it's probably because of a lighting effect in the map itself, and not the player's gamma settings.

    just a question out of curiosity. Is this an example of acceptable or unable acceptable fog?

    I can’t see through your eyes, but I can see through mine and I can make out shack. The object on the far top left that leads to the jungle gym. The pit in middle left. The double tubes on the right. The debris that are chilling in the middle by the tube on the right. I can see straight through this to the other side. I can literally see the other side of the map from where you’re standing.

  • sigh my favorite item lasted only a few days. really loved the stealth builds and added more styles of play or fun to the game whats the point of a useless item?

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979575#Comment_3979575

    Ghoul did not get an immediate grace period. BHVR literally gave Ghoul 25 nerfs before starting the grace period.

    Likewise, it's absolutely fine for Fog Vials to get nerfs, before starting the grace period.

    It's literally the same thing. The grace period for EVERYTHING IN THE GAME should start when BHVR is ready for it.

    Okay, so in your opinion, the 15 days Ghoul spent on live before the hotfix don’t count as a grace period, only the time after that point. That is your opinion and that’s fine. 

    But as I’ve already said, if you truly believe there’s no difference between the grace period Ghoul received and the one fog vials received, I still don’t see how that would change your position on advocating for more time on live before changes are made. Whether or not you agree with me that the grace period was different in these cases doesn’t actually change the broader point. That allowing players more time to adapt before making balance changes is healthier for the game. 

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979675#Comment_3979675

    just a question out of curiosity. Is this an example of acceptable or unable acceptable fog?

    I can’t see through your eyes, but I can see through mine and I can make out shack. The object on the far top left that leads to the jungle gym. The pit in middle left. The double tubes on the right. The debris that are chilling in the middle by the tube on the right. I can see straight through this to the other side. I can literally see the other side of the map from where you’re standing.

    It's what the fog is supposed to do at its current opacity. Multiple people were claiming the fog vials are affected by gamma settings, and was even claiming that if someone said the fog-vial fog is too thick, it's because they're boosting the game brightness.

    @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979611#Comment_3979611

    Okay, so in your opinion, the 15 days Ghoul spent on live before the hotfix don’t count as a grace period, only the time after that point. That is your opinion and that’s fine. 

    But as I’ve already said, if you truly believe there’s no difference between the grace period Ghoul received and the one fog vials received, I still don’t see how that would change your position on advocating for more time on live before changes are made. Whether or not you agree with me that the grace period was different in these cases doesn’t actually change the broader point. That allowing players more time to adapt before making balance changes is healthier for the game. 

    No. BHVR said multiple times they can't get all the PTB changes ready for launch day, and they need additional time to get the rest of the changes done. It takes time to code all those nerfs.

    Wait…. You don't think code changes are instant, do you? Like, do you think BHVR waited 2 weeks after launch, decided Ghoul needed 12 more nerfs, and then instantly coded the nerfs so they could be released the next day?

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979686#Comment_3979686

    It's what the fog is supposed to do at its current opacity. Multiple people were claiming the fog vials are affected by gamma settings, and was even claiming that if someone said the fog-vial fog is too thick, it's because they're boosting the game brightness.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979699#Comment_3979699

    No. BHVR said multiple times they can't get all the PTB changes ready for launch day, and they need additional time to get the rest of the changes done. It takes time to code all those nerfs.

    Wait…. You don't think code changes are instant, do you? Like, do you think BHVR waited 2 weeks after launch, decided Ghoul needed 12 more nerfs, and then instantly coded the nerfs so they could be released the next day?

    I mean objectively they are with certain softwares. That’s not me also saying they’re not inconsistent as well under normal circumstances. That still doesn’t answer my question directly though, which is:

    Where is the line for you?

  • @last_hoes said:

    sigh my favorite item lasted only a few days. really loved the stealth builds and added more styles of play or fun to the game whats the point of a useless item?

    I think the only purpose left in the item is to use it as a "portable" Distortion perk, to conceal your aura.

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979709#Comment_3979709

    I mean objectively they are with certain softwares. That’s not me also saying they’re not inconsistent as well under normal circumstances. That still doesn’t answer my question directly though, which is:

    Where is the line for you?

    1. The 3 bugs where the fog effect gets super boosted, need to be fixed.
    2. If the fog vials are going to block survivor noises, AND survivor auras, AND survivor scratchmarks, then the fog effect absolutely should be very weak.
    3. If the fog vials only blocked scratchmarks, then the basekit fog vial opacity can go back to the pre-nerfed value.
    4. Honestly, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that BHVR keeps insisting the fog vials need to block survivor noises and survivor auras. It's super clear that the vast majority of survivors only care about the visual fog effect.
    5. Like seriously, look at all the screenshots survivors post, when they complain about the fog vial nerfs. They only care about the visual fog effect.
  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979289#Comment_3979289

    Hey thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts. When it comes to your opinion about there being no counterplay, I feel like this is where we may just have to agree to disagree. Some of the worst examples people were sharing were due to players using filters or specific graphic settings that made the fog overwhelming. That’s more about how individual settings impact play. And, not that I agree there is no counterplay, but in general, there are many strong game elements that don’t have counterplay to the first use. For example, getting injured by a Ghoul’s first hit, or unhooking an infected survivor from Plague when you yourself are healthy and so is the rest of the team. There’s no counter to that first moment either, it’s just part of normal gameplay.

    I do understand your point about the fog being worse on some maps, but honestly, this seems more like a map design issue than one with fog vials specifically. Chucky and Trappers traps are harder to see on swamp, or how there’s certain breakable walls that could make a loop much weaker or much stronger. That inconsistency has always existed, and we usually don’t blame the power/item, we blame the map.

    Accessibility issues, 100% valid concern, and I’m with you here, but this is something that should be addressed with accessibility solutions (like a setting or toggle), not just nerfing the entire item outright. And it should be mentioned that there are many elements of the game that are also accessibility concerns like Nightfall on Dredge or playing as/against Spirit without reliable audio. In those cases, we usually advocate for settings, not blanket nerfs. And some of those issues may very well be the point as if you could see during dredges nightfall then there wouldn’t be a point in that power. 

    When you talk about how survivors just pre-run and pop the fog, I might be misunderstanding this point a little, so feel free to clarify. The fog only has value before the killer sees you, if it’s dropped in front of the killer during chase, it becomes mostly useless as it doesn’t actually obscure what’s up close. So if you take away the ability to use it before chase, but don’t make it powerful during chase, then it’s kind of… useless in both cases. What do you feel the “correct” use of it should be? Should it only be viable if dropped right in front of the killer? Or within a specific radius?

    This also bleeds into another point you made about how It counters all ranged killers, Yes, because LOS is how you counter ranged killers and LOS blocking is the vials only function. If fog doesn’t obscure vision, then it’s just a particle effect with no value, and I’m not sure what role it’s meant to play in gameplay at that point. If it’s not for stealth or chase evasion, what should it be for?

    I think you may have misunderstood me when you said that Items and killers aren’t the same. My point was that both affect balance, and both get nerfed/buffed. What I’m saying is that it is often advocatedto give new killers time before they receive changes. We let the community explore counterplay, test perks, find techs, and adjust. But here, with fog vials, it was not given the same kind of grace. That’s the inconsistency I’m referring to. It’s not about saying killers and items are identical, but about me feeling frustrated and confused as to why the community insists on patience and adjustment time with one, but not with the other.


    To be honest, every complaint I’ve seen about the fog vials could be copied and pasted under almost every new killer release:

    •“It’s annoying to face.”

    •“There’s no counterplay.”

    •“It’s too strong on some maps.”

    •“It’s too weak on other maps.”

    •“It requires no skill.”


    I’m not saying fog vials are perfect and I, as I stated, am not against changes being made. But I don’t agree with the same adjustment window we give the community for new killers not being given to the new item.


    I believe that If these same mechanics were baked into a new killer’s power, and that they could spit out a ball of fog that did the exact same thing as the fog vials, the conversation would be “give it time”. 

    That’s the frustration and inconsistency I’m pointing to. 

    You spell everything out so much more peasantly and more conscise than just about everyone and you just get a random downvote.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979440#Comment_3979440

    You spell everything out so much more peasantly and more conscise than just about everyone and you just get a random downvote.

    Not to get off topic here, but I have noticed that too.
    Anyways, back to the fog vials

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979675#Comment_3979675

    just a question out of curiosity. Is this an example of acceptable or unable acceptable fog?

    I can’t see through your eyes, but I can see through mine and I can make out shack. The object on the far top left that leads to the jungle gym. The pit in middle left. The double tubes on the right. The debris that are chilling in the middle by the tube on the right. I can see straight through this to the other side. I can literally see the other side of the map from where you’re standing.

    FWIW I can't see a building past the fog in any of the three, though the bottom one I can make out a box and what looks like a black pole in the middle (im guessing the corner of the building?) I can see the box and the line a bit in the other two, but I feel like thats mostly filling in the gaps knowing they're supposed to be there. Same with what looks like a gate/fence behind the locker, can see it a bit in the bottom image but can tell its supposed to be there in the other two when looking back. Feel like im trying to watch the hot air balloon above the road.

    So again, changes that don't really address the issue for affected people, but make it weaker for everyone else.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979686#Comment_3979686

    FWIW I can't see a building past the fog in any of the three, though the bottom one I can make out a box and what looks like a black pole in the middle (im guessing the corner of the building?) I can see the box and the line a bit in the other two, but I feel like thats mostly filling in the gaps knowing they're supposed to be there. Same with what looks like a gate/fence behind the locker, can see it a bit in the bottom image but can tell its supposed to be there in the other two when looking back. Feel like im trying to watch the hot air balloon above the road.

    So again, changes that don't really address the issue for affected people, but make it weaker for everyone else.

    Understandable.

    Where’s the pallets? Survivors love pallets. They will probably be trying to get to one.

    If it’s a dead zone where are the LOS blockers they would use to try and pull one over if they wanted to be stealthy?

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979440#Comment_3979440

    You spell everything out so much more peasantly and more conscise than just about everyone and you just get a random downvote.

    The forum ghost has struck again. I know who this is a job for!

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979729#Comment_3979729

    Understandable.

    Where’s the pallets? Survivors love pallets. They will probably be trying to get to one.

    If it’s a dead zone where are the LOS blockers they would use to try and pull one over if they wanted to be stealthy?

    I don't get what you mean. Are you asking what benefit the vial is supposed to be providing? I was just giving insight for how it obstructed the view, since I couldn't see the shack you mentioned to identify it. You seemed to be able to see forever so I figured the perspective might be helpful.

  • With the recent changes I'm very much in favour of making the fog thicker again but giving the vials limited uses in the match. My biggest problem with them is that people would misuse them by spamming them to avoid getting into chases altogether hoping the killer doesn't bother and leave. Hopefully with limited charges people can be more selective about using them.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979746#Comment_3979746

    I don't get what you mean. Are you asking what benefit the vial is supposed to be providing? I was just giving insight for how it obstructed the view, since I couldn't see the shack you mentioned to identify it. You seemed to be able to see forever so I figured the perspective might be helpful.

    That’s not what I’m getting at. I guess what I’m trying to do is trigger constructive thinking in you to test your knowledge base outside of what you can visibly see.

    For instance without being able to make out a single pallet in any of these photos I can tell you there’s not one in the double tubes so they could only hide there. There’s possibly pallets behind them in another jungle gym if they didn’t use the given the direction they are facing . There’s the pallet in shack in the back right corner past the tubes. If you go left it leads to main and there’s pallets on the bottom floor, top floor, and on the balcony by the ramp. They would probably path to shack or to main depending on where resources have been exhausted or where they think people are doing gens. Most likely go left because it’s closer.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979746#Comment_3979746

    I don't get what you mean. Are you asking what benefit the vial is supposed to be providing? I was just giving insight for how it obstructed the view, since I couldn't see the shack you mentioned to identify it. You seemed to be able to see forever so I figured the perspective might be helpful.

    I think @HeroLives is referencing to the fact that maps has been smaller, which is also limiting survivors in many ways.
    But to the topic on hand. From my perspective, I was clearly able to see through the smoke in certain scenarios. Only way that the smoke did obscure anything was when you were (as a killer) standing outside of the smoke radius. As soon as you enter the threshold of the smoke, you are able to see through it now.

  • @HeroLives said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979750#Comment_3979750

    That’s not what I’m getting at. I guess what I’m trying to do is trigger constructive thinking in you to test your knowledge base outside of what you can visibly see.

    For instance without being able to make out a single pallet in any of these photos I can tell you there’s not one in the double tubes so they could only hide there. There’s possibly pallets behind them in another jungle gym if they didn’t use the given the direction they are facing . There’s the pallet in shack in the back right corner past the tubes. If you go left it leads to main and there’s pallets on the bottom floor, top floor, and on the balcony by the ramp. They would probably path to shack or to main depending on where resources have been exhausted or where they think people are doing gens. Most likely go left because it’s closer.

    Yes, I know how to extrapolate information, I even did as much in the post you responded to. I was giving you an account of what I was able to perceive in those exact screenshots, as they were presented free of variables like graphics settings or platform. We are seeing the same images, which is why I was being direct about what was visibly discernible instead of relying on metadata.

  • @THE_Crazy_Hyena said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979750#Comment_3979750

    I think @HeroLives is referencing to the fact that maps has been smaller, which is also limiting survivors in many ways.
    But to the topic on hand. From my perspective, I was clearly able to see through the smoke in certain scenarios. Only way that the smoke did obscure anything was when you were (as a killer) standing outside of the smoke radius. As soon as you enter the threshold of the smoke, you are able to see through it now.

    No, but you’re not wrong. They’re standing dead center in the middle of that side of the map and I can see the other side to the wall.

  • @Senaxu said:

    just dont play survivor anymore. why stress yourself. Just join killer, you will be better off

    Haven’t booted up DbD since the anniversary ended and I haven’t been happier. Heard this entire patch is a dumpster fire train wreck with nothing but bugs, so… glad I’m not playing for all this crap! 😍

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979712#Comment_3979712

    1. The 3 bugs where the fog effect gets super boosted, need to be fixed.
    2. If the fog vials are going to block survivor noises, AND survivor auras, AND survivor scratchmarks, then the fog effect absolutely should be very weak.
    3. If the fog vials only blocked scratchmarks, then the basekit fog vial opacity can go back to the pre-nerfed value.
    4. Honestly, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that BHVR keeps insisting the fog vials need to block survivor noises and survivor auras. It's super clear that the vast majority of survivors only care about the visual fog effect.
    5. Like seriously, look at all the screenshots survivors post, when they complain about the fog vial nerfs. They only care about the visual fog effect.

    Absolutely not. The visuals are supposed to go hand-in-hand with suppressing the other things. Suppressing auras and scratch marks is useless if the killer can see all the way through the “fog” which is at best a mist at this point. The vials are supposed to be a counter to things like lethal pursuer and BBQ the same way that light born is a counter to flashlights. It’s also supposed to be a counter to tunneling.

    And no, dropping it when the killer is already up your ass isn’t going to be helpful. But when the killer is a good distance away, and they still have LOS through the of the fog. It becomes pointless.

    The only change that actually needs to happen is adding charges.

  • @PuddleOfBludd said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979718#Comment_3979718

    Absolutely not. The visuals are supposed to go hand-in-hand with suppressing the other things. Suppressing auras and scratch marks is useless if the killer can see all the way through the “fog” which is at best a mist at this point. The vials are supposed to be a counter to things like lethal pursuer and BBQ the same way that light born is a counter to flashlights. It’s also supposed to be a counter to tunneling.

    And no, dropping it when the killer is already up your ass isn’t going to be helpful. But when the killer is a good distance away, and they still have LOS through the of the fog. It becomes pointless.

    The only change that actually needs to happen is adding charges.

    This game has a lot of anti-tunneling stuff for survivors, that all revolve around unhooking a survivor or being unhooked… but we're supposed to believe fog vials were designed to be anti-tunnel, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with hooks? We're supposed to believe that an item that can be used while the killer has 0 hooks, is intentionally designed to be a counter to tunneling?

    None of this is believable.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979795#Comment_3979795

    This game has a lot of anti-tunneling stuff for survivors, that all revolve around unhooking a survivor or being unhooked… but we're supposed to believe fog vials were designed to be anti-tunnel, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with hooks? We're supposed to believe that an item that can be used while the killer has 0 hooks, is intentionally designed to be a counter to tunneling?

    None of this is believable.

    Willful ignorance. It’s very clear. You just want a 4K every single game. Maybe most of us don’t like matches that last two minutes because the killer, slugs or tunnels.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979150#Comment_3979150

    Patch 8.6.0

    CONTENT

    • New Killer - The Ghoul
      • PTB ADJUSTMENTS
      • The Ghoul
      • Increased the base sliding effect from 0.4 seconds to 0.8 seconds, on par with Anteiku Apron effect.
      • Decreased the Tentacle Vault time at pallet from 2.0 seconds to 1.5 seconds to be at the same time as Tentacle window vault.
      • Retuned the Tentacle Swing system to minimize the power interruption during swings or dealing around obstacles.
      • Decreased Enrage Countdown Timer from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
      • Decreased Countdown added Time Bonus when completing a perfectly timed grab-attack from 30 seconds to 15 seconds.
      • Addon Kaneki's Wallet: Increased the window bonus time from 1.0 second to 3.0 seconds.
      • Addon Anteiku Apron: Decreased the sliding bonus effect from 100% to -50%.
      • Addon Broken Chain: Increased the decrease Cooldown bonus from 20% to 35%.
      • Addon Satchel: Increased the Third Kagune Leap bonus speed from 20% to 30%.
      • Addon Taiyaki: Increased Enraged Mode Countdown bonus Time from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.
      • Addon Hinami's Umbrella: Rarity changed from Rare to Very Rare.
      • Addon Red Spider: Rarity changed from Very Rare to Rare.
      • Addon Yamori's Mask: Removed the Healthy requirement from the activation.

    Hotfix 8.6.2

    THE GHOUL

    • Reduced Tentacle range from 16 meters to 14 meters.
    • Reduced Enraged mode time from 45 seconds to 40 seconds.
    • Reduced Enraged bonus time when performing a perfectly timed grab-attack from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
    • Reduced Reticule Stickiness Time effect on targeted Survivor from 0.3 seconds to 0.18 seconds.
    • Reduced Reticule aiming on Survivor detection for grab-attack by 94%.
    • Reduced Grab-attacks Damage minimum distance requirement to activate over obstacles by -30%.
    • After breaking a pallet, if the Killer Power is not in cooldown, power goes into a forced cooldown equal to a single Leap usage.
    • Addon Fresh Coffee: Changed rarity from Common to Very Rare.
    • Addon Hinami's Umbrella: Reworked Effect - Performing a perfectly timed grab-attack award an extra +10.0 seconds of Enraged bonus time and changed rarity from Very Rare to Uncommon.
    • Addon Blood stained Handkerchief: Reduced Kagune's reach from 2 meters to 1 meter.
    • Addon Taiyaki: Reduced the Enraged Mode countdown from 15 seconds to 5 seconds and changed rarity from Uncommon to Common.
    • Addon Yamori's Mask: Added the activation requirement of "all Survivors further than 40m".

    Ghoul literally had a giant list of nerfs going from PTB to Live, and then another giant list of nerfs soon after in a hotfix. There wasn't any "let's wait and see" for all these changes.

    Why are we pretending that all of the changes from PTB to Live were nerfs. Literally all of those were buffs or sidegrades…

  • @PetTheDoggo said:

    Yeah, they completely missed with this one.

    Main issue was how the item was used, not the effect… Just give it charges and it would be fine.

    Honestly introducing charges is something that's going to further discourage use for me.

    Toolboxes I'll use right away because what am I saving it for anyway.

    Med-kits are for when I'm wounded, not in chase, and not around a fellow solo queue player that can heal me.

    Fog vials with charges will just have me stuck in a permanent state of 'well, it might be better to save for later' paralysis where I don't even use the charges I have because the 'right' time to use a charge is much more arbitrary and vague for this item.

  • @hermitkermit said:

    I really don’t understand why the community couldn’t get some time to adjust and learn counterplay for awhile before adjustments were made. Hasn’t that been the insistence with every killer release? I don’t understand why these items are held to a different standard.

    I think what happened is that there was so much outrage at things that were bugged coming out of 9.1 that this issue just kind of piggy backed with all of the other complaints. Given BHVR, rightly, went into 'we screwed up' mode I think it led to an over reaction this.

  • @MDRSan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979651#Comment_3979651

    Honestly introducing charges is something that's going to further discourage use for me.

    Toolboxes I'll use right away because what am I saving it for anyway.

    Med-kits are for when I'm wounded, not in chase, and not around a fellow solo queue player that can heal me.

    Fog vials with charges will just have me stuck in a permanent state of 'well, it might be better to save for later' paralysis where I don't even use the charges I have because the 'right' time to use a charge is much more arbitrary and vague for this item.

    well, it might be better to save for later

    I have feeling you play a lot of dark souls games :D

    All items have charges and are limited. You decide yourself when is best time to use it and sometimes you miscalculate, happens…
    I would personally prefer good effect that can help me lose the killer few times (2-3) than bad effect infinite times. But I guess that's just personal preference.

  • In a next hotfix they're going to make them limited-time use too, right?

    I think they should just revert this opacity change then. Pre-9.1.1 opacity, with limited uses. Should be a fair trade-off.

  • @th3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979232#Comment_3979232

    Why are we pretending that all of the changes from PTB to Live were nerfs. Literally all of those were buffs or sidegrades…

    How is “Reduced Reticule aiming on Survivor detection for grab-attack by 94%” a buff or a sidegrade?

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979686#Comment_3979686

    It's what the fog is supposed to do at its current opacity. Multiple people were claiming the fog vials are affected by gamma settings, and was even claiming that if someone said the fog-vial fog is too thick, it's because they're boosting the game brightness.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979699#Comment_3979699

    No. BHVR said multiple times they can't get all the PTB changes ready for launch day, and they need additional time to get the rest of the changes done. It takes time to code all those nerfs.

    Wait…. You don't think code changes are instant, do you? Like, do you think BHVR waited 2 weeks after launch, decided Ghoul needed 12 more nerfs, and then instantly coded the nerfs so they could be released the next day?

    Clearly we think differently about the Ghoul timeline, but that’s not actually the point. I think we’re getting lost in the weeds here. 

    Can we come to some kind of agreement to end this cordially ? Meet In the middle? This feels like we’re just repeating the same things over and over and I don’t want this conversation to end up like our last one. 

    How is this: All things should be given more time on live before balance changes are made?


    Is that a reasonable agreement?

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979440#Comment_3979440

    You spell everything out so much more peasantly and more conscise than just about everyone and you just get a random downvote.

    Hey, thanks. I truly appreciate the kind words. I do try and be respectful and explain my thoughts as clearly as I can. I understand that all of this stems from passion for the game, regardless of how it is expressed. I’ve had many conversations with people over the years and I guess I’ve attracted attention of someone who doesn’t like me very much haha. But that’s okay. They are totally free to disagree with any post I make! Even if it’s just me booping a pig on the nose. (I did also receive a downvote for that once)

    In any case, I’m just trying to express my frustration and disappointment with the fog vials. But hopefully if enough people talk about it, the devs might revisit the changes.

  • @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979150#Comment_3979150

    I think what happened is that there was so much outrage at things that were bugged coming out of 9.1 that this issue just kind of piggy backed with all of the other complaints. Given BHVR, rightly, went into 'we screwed up' mode I think it led to an over reaction this.

    You know, that makes a lot of sense. I could definitely see it as more of a panicked reaction rather than a balance decision that was monitored. Regardless I hope the devs will consider revisiting those changes at some point. But time will tell. Thanks for offering your perspective, it’s an explanation I didn’t consider.

  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979709#Comment_3979709

    Clearly we think differently about the Ghoul timeline, but that’s not actually the point. I think we’re getting lost in the weeds here. 

    Can we come to some kind of agreement to end this cordially ? Meet In the middle? This feels like we’re just repeating the same things over and over and I don’t want this conversation to end up like our last one. 

    How is this: All things should be given more time on live before balance changes are made?


    Is that a reasonable agreement?

    That is not a reasonable argument. There should never be a mandatory grace period for new content.

  • @Senaxu said:

    just dont play survivor anymore. why stress yourself. Just join killer, you will be better off

    Calling survivor more stressfull thats crazy, survivor is chilling even when you are soloq only thing that happens to soloq is that you feel powerless because of your teamates decisions in times where you are on the hook or slugged and see them fall like flyes. Killer is just race you are against time, survivor has more time on his side and its more in his favor, killer must manage many things like chases,gens deffence and keeping preasure on four people so he slows them down and doesnt get rushed in 5 minutes. When I play more survivor I feel like watching netflix while using keyboard its way too chill compare to the avarage killer experience but all that depends who you play against 100 hours meh that cant loop or 3k above sable sweat lord who is training for competitive thats huge difference for stress only bad thing you will have as survivor are soloq teammates doing stupid mistakes that makes you loose thats only downside of survivor.

  • @Thusly_Boned said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979171#Comment_3979171

    TBH when playing killer, I wasn't particularly impressed or bothered by the vials before the nerfs.

    But if nothing else, it will suck if people stop using them because I just liked seeing something different, even if they're largely ineffective (granted most survs just don't use them optimally).

    And I agree the nerfs were implemented too quickly.

    They were ok untill whole team had them and gave each chase 10-30 more seconds that could be more chalanging for mediocre killers but idk what devs are cooking now they nerfed vials fast and killswitched street wise only because preasure from comunity for them infinite items isnt problem.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979795#Comment_3979795

    This game has a lot of anti-tunneling stuff for survivors, that all revolve around unhooking a survivor or being unhooked… but we're supposed to believe fog vials were designed to be anti-tunnel, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with hooks? We're supposed to believe that an item that can be used while the killer has 0 hooks, is intentionally designed to be a counter to tunneling?

    None of this is believable.

    I wouldn't call it anti-tunnel, but it clearly was designed with being a mini catchup for Survivor in mind. In my opinion that is. Slow down Killer just enough that maybe you can escape a chase or pick up a downed Survivor and reset easier.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980031#Comment_3980031

    That is not a reasonable argument. There should never be a mandatory grace period for new content.

    Alright, so you’re saying outright that you don’t think there should ever be a grace period for new content.

    If that’s your position, then all the back-and-forth about Ghoul timelines doesn’t seem actually relevant to your stance as you simply disagree with the idea of giving content time on live before changes, and that would include the changes that to Ghoul. Fair enough. As there doesn’t seem to be any kind of common ground between us, perhaps it’s best to end this here? 

  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980044#Comment_3980044

    Alright, so you’re saying outright that you don’t think there should ever be a grace period for new content.

    If that’s your position, then all the back-and-forth about Ghoul timelines doesn’t seem actually relevant to your stance as you simply disagree with the idea of giving content time on live before changes, and that would include the changes that to Ghoul. Fair enough. As there doesn’t seem to be any kind of common ground between us, perhaps it’s best to end this here? 

    There are two types of changes for new content:

    Category 1: Changes that BHVR already knows they want to make

    Category 2: Changes that BHVR wants to "wait and see" before deciding if they should happen

    Category 1 changes should be made ASAP. Category 2 changes can have a grace period. It is appropriate to SOMETIMES have a grace period, but it is never appropriate to have a mandatory grace period.

  • Just remove the fog vials and refund bloodpoints

  • @Rudjohns said:

    Just remove the fog vials and refund bloodpoints

    bold of you to assume we have any to be compensated for (seriously I'm having a harder time farming smokes than farming double iri for myers)

  • @100PercentBPMain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980198#Comment_3980198

    bold of you to assume we have any to be compensated for (seriously I'm having a harder time farming smokes than farming double iri for myers)

    I mean, a few thousand BP for free doesnt hurt lol

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980153#Comment_3980153

    There are two types of changes for new content:

    Category 1: Changes that BHVR already knows they want to make

    Category 2: Changes that BHVR wants to "wait and see" before deciding if they should happen

    Category 1 changes should be made ASAP. Category 2 changes can have a grace period. It is appropriate to SOMETIMES have a grace period, but it is never appropriate to have a mandatory grace period.

    It seems like we’re at a fundamental impasse here. You don’t believe grace periods should be a standard practice, and I do, so there’s not much value in continuing if we can’t even agree on that baseline. I’ve made a few attempts at finding a common ground but it doesn’t appear there is one here. Unless you’d like to offer one? Or perhaps we really should just end this here?

  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980177#Comment_3980177

    It seems like we’re at a fundamental impasse here. You don’t believe grace periods should be a standard practice, and I do, so there’s not much value in continuing if we can’t even agree on that baseline. I’ve made a few attempts at finding a common ground but it doesn’t appear there is one here. Unless you’d like to offer one? Or perhaps we really should just end this here?

    There's zero common ground. According to your logic, if a killer is released, and has a 90% kill rate, there should still be a mandatory grace period before the killer is nerfed. And therefore, the survivors should be forced to deal with a 90% kill rate killer, for the duration of the mandatory grace period.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3980402#Comment_3980402

    There's zero common ground. According to your logic, if a killer is released, and has a 90% kill rate, there should still be a mandatory grace period before the killer is nerfed. And therefore, the survivors should be forced to deal with a 90% kill rate killer, for the duration of the mandatory grace period.

    If you truly believe my stance is “leave a 90% kill rate untouched” then I haven’t been able to explain my point in a way that you can understand, and I’m sorry for that. I genuinely don’t know how to make it clearer.

    I’ve made multiple attempts to offer common ground, and even asked you directly to provide your own when mine were rejected. You declined, and instead it feels like you chose to intentionally reframe my position into something unreasonable so you could dismiss it, which makes a genuine exchange impossible.

    If there’s no willingness or even a desire to find common ground, then this is no longer a discussion, just an argument, and I don’t want to argue for the sake of arguing.  I’ll be stepping away and won’t respond any further. I’m sorry we couldn’t understand each other here. Maybe next time. Gliyn. 

  • @hermitkermit said:

    I really don’t understand why the community couldn’t get some time to adjust and learn counterplay for awhile before adjustments were made. Hasn’t that been the insistence with every killer release? I don’t understand why these items are held to a different standard.

    Same reason they balance for 60:40

  • Hens isnt killer bias main like otz.

    Syeah hens is right

  • @PetTheDoggo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979900#Comment_3979900

    well, it might be better to save for later

    I have feeling you play a lot of dark souls games :D

    All items have charges and are limited. You decide yourself when is best time to use it and sometimes you miscalculate, happens…
    I would personally prefer good effect that can help me lose the killer few times (2-3) than bad effect infinite times. But I guess that's just personal preference.

    I have feeling you play a lot of dark souls games :D

    I don't want to go back to a campfire, everything's just going to respawn anyway. Must conserve resources! 😄

    So far as charges, I feel like it really already does - just in a more psychologically palatable form for me. I mean, assuming a 10 minute match that puts it at 10 charges max if I really pay attention to firing it off every time it's up, am available and unhooked every time the cooldown is up, and I have that cooldown reducing add-on attached. Then, most of those are going to be pointless and not affect the killer at all because they're very unlikely to be coming after me or trying to read my aura once a minute, every minute for the whole match.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3979150#Comment_3979150

    Patch 8.6.0

    CONTENT

    • New Killer - The Ghoul
      • PTB ADJUSTMENTS
      • The Ghoul
      • Increased the base sliding effect from 0.4 seconds to 0.8 seconds, on par with Anteiku Apron effect.
      • Decreased the Tentacle Vault time at pallet from 2.0 seconds to 1.5 seconds to be at the same time as Tentacle window vault.
      • Retuned the Tentacle Swing system to minimize the power interruption during swings or dealing around obstacles.
      • Decreased Enrage Countdown Timer from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
      • Decreased Countdown added Time Bonus when completing a perfectly timed grab-attack from 30 seconds to 15 seconds.
      • Addon Kaneki's Wallet: Increased the window bonus time from 1.0 second to 3.0 seconds.
      • Addon Anteiku Apron: Decreased the sliding bonus effect from 100% to -50%.
      • Addon Broken Chain: Increased the decrease Cooldown bonus from 20% to 35%.
      • Addon Satchel: Increased the Third Kagune Leap bonus speed from 20% to 30%.
      • Addon Taiyaki: Increased Enraged Mode Countdown bonus Time from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.
      • Addon Hinami's Umbrella: Rarity changed from Rare to Very Rare.
      • Addon Red Spider: Rarity changed from Very Rare to Rare.
      • Addon Yamori's Mask: Removed the Healthy requirement from the activation.

    Hotfix 8.6.2

    THE GHOUL

    • Reduced Tentacle range from 16 meters to 14 meters.
    • Reduced Enraged mode time from 45 seconds to 40 seconds.
    • Reduced Enraged bonus time when performing a perfectly timed grab-attack from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
    • Reduced Reticule Stickiness Time effect on targeted Survivor from 0.3 seconds to 0.18 seconds.
    • Reduced Reticule aiming on Survivor detection for grab-attack by 94%.
    • Reduced Grab-attacks Damage minimum distance requirement to activate over obstacles by -30%.
    • After breaking a pallet, if the Killer Power is not in cooldown, power goes into a forced cooldown equal to a single Leap usage.
    • Addon Fresh Coffee: Changed rarity from Common to Very Rare.
    • Addon Hinami's Umbrella: Reworked Effect - Performing a perfectly timed grab-attack award an extra +10.0 seconds of Enraged bonus time and changed rarity from Very Rare to Uncommon.
    • Addon Blood stained Handkerchief: Reduced Kagune's reach from 2 meters to 1 meter.
    • Addon Taiyaki: Reduced the Enraged Mode countdown from 15 seconds to 5 seconds and changed rarity from Uncommon to Common.
    • Addon Yamori's Mask: Added the activation requirement of "all Survivors further than 40m".

    Ghoul literally had a giant list of nerfs going from PTB to Live, and then another giant list of nerfs soon after in a hotfix. There wasn't any "let's wait and see" for all these changes.

    And somehow people think it's not enough.

1 2 3