Trapper shouldn't get caught by his own traps
So I have been playing Trapper a lot recently and I enjoy playing him, but I think there are some issues with him. One of the biggest for me though is that he is, to my knowledge, the ONLY killer in the game that can be negatively hit by his own power.
Now beyond just convenience of him not getting caught by his own traps, I think this buff would open up more mindgames for the Trapper. For example, imagine that you are chasing a survivor and they head for a loop, you have a trap placed around that loop. As it is right now you have to walk around your trap and so the survivor might be able to catch on to the fact that there is one there, but with the buff you would be able to walk right through it and they might not be any the wiser and then will get caught by it on their way around.
Plus even if the survivor did know the trap was there, they would still have to avoid it while you can go straight through and you might catch them sooner on the loop.
I think Trapper needs some love and I think this would go a long way to helping him.
Comments
I think it's as simple as if he gets distracted and walks into a set trap, he should be caught. If he isn't/you aren't paying attention to a set trap then he/you are distracted and should accidentally catch yourself. Makes sense to me.
The trapbox for survivors to get trapped should be slightly larger. Period.
I agree.
A Trapper start to play when two or three gens are done at best, considering the time wasted searching his traps and placing them. That make him one of the most addon dependant killers IMO.
So because you step in your own beartrap you're automatically an idiot? You don't make much sense here.
Absolutely. Considering that this doesn't make sense to you I suppose you're someone that often steps in your own bear traps? What makes no sense here? A Leatherface that keeps bumping into objects is also an idiot.
OK, well I didn't expect this discussion to get the attention it did so let me say a few things:
Thank you all for being mostly respectful, it is a rarity on these forums
I think there is a misconception that I just keep stepping on my traps and this is why I want this, that actually isn't the case. I suggested this because I just feel it makes the Trapper more convenient and it would add mind games to him by being able to go through traps, maybe even make loops smaller against trapper. Let me be clear that I don't view this as a "fix" per se.
Regardless whether you agree with this idea or not I think what is important from this is that pretty much everyone here wants Trapper buffs which is great.
Please do continue to discuss this respectfully
As someone that plays Trapper I would like this however I think it could lead to very broken situations.
For example, if basement is at shack and you hook a survivor there, you can set up a trap at both doors and inside the window to make it IMPOSSIBLE to go into the shack without needing to disarm a trap.
Now the way it is currently, if Trapper does this he too can't enter the shack without having to reset a trap and waste a little bit of time. If a survivor were to drop the pallet to vault into the shack safely, or use DH to avoid a trap that's a smart move. But if Trapper wasn't affected by his traps this would be a bad move, since the Trapper can just return to the shack and lock you both inside with him. At the very least by stepping in his trap you gain some extra time to make the save. The fact he has to either eat his own trap or pick it up is what gives you guys the opportunity to escape. If he didn't have to do that, there is no opportunity and it's just an inescapable situation. And yea, if a Trapper does this now it's pretty safe to say the guy is gonna die and it will be REALLY hard to save him, but there is still that sliver of a chance to do it if you play everything perfect.
Maybe if there was an add-on that let you do this that would be fair. But I get the feeling that if you made this change to Trapper he could put you in unwinnable situations very easily. Technically he can do that now too, but it requires the right RNG and smart trap placements, with a bit of luck too.
I dont even see how its going to help him to mindgame i simply dont see that what you described is not really mind game
That's stupid, you can't call people morons for accidents, and sometimes I have to step in my traps so I can get past them if they're in a tight spot instead of re-setting them.
The only killer negatively hit with his own power? wut
Leatherface is easily the strongest example of that notion, as his chainsaw has a lot of penalties. He was designed to be the exact opposite of Hillbilly in terms of chainsaw strength.
Hag and Pig can both incorrectly use/waste traps as well. The Legion's power can hamstring his gameplay if used incorrectly.
Must have really bad eyes or very bad player to step in your own traps lol
Traps are fine as they are.
Granted that stepping in your own trap is a potato move, I don't feel that it leans more to idiot proofing then it does a tactical advantage if played smart.
Trappy boi does need some love, I agree. I'm not sure if taking that away will do the trick, though. Whenever I play him I just hate how long it takes to set up all the traps and plan where to put them. When they get disarmed, you end up starting back at square 1 and having them sabotaged is really no fun. It's a mechanic that doesn't have to be a bad thing, he just needs his other issues fixed. I am grateful for what the devs have done for him recently, though.
This and as someone who mained Trapper before swapping to Spirit stepping into your own traps was just you losing situational awareness. You feel excited you got someone into the trap maze you pick them up turn around and promptly step into your own trap and drop them.
Now you can come here and blame the traps and say he shouldn't get stuck or accept the fact you made a mistake and see the humour in said mistake.
He really only needs 2 traps at base to be fine and the rest he could go around and find like normal but with a twist. His traps can't be sabo'd unless they've 1st been armed and then once sabo'd they're not broken but look normal until someone step into them.
You could then add a chance that the trap still has a chance of working but albeit it may break on it's own after trapping someone if it does work or take reduced escape time.
Now for those complaining about the hitbox this is the trap yo really want to have below the new and improved Trapper Trap.
If you step into this one it's your own fault.
Why not? That's exactly why people turn into idiots, because they frequently make stupid accidents. I don't want to come off as rude here but that's kinda the definition of an idiot. Someone that keeps crashing into street signs is an idiot. A trapper that keeps walking into his own traps is also an idiot.
Yes, there MIGHT be situations where it CAN make sense to purposely walk into your own trap (whole basement trapped and someone kobe so you have to get back in) but that's VERY rare and even then it's smarter to just pick up the trap and move on.