Please don’t intentionally misunderstand the issue

I said this elsewhere so I’m just gonna post it here too.

B94544CB-EAD1-4A59-BB9F-7DF14655906F.jpeg 9ED62CB9-3B0C-4852-8E94-C62F3E49351F.jpeg BD0868BF-A4E6-4373-8058-47D2132BD170.jpeg

I’m someone who is impatient and I don’t like to wait to earn shards to buy stuff so if I want something I’m just gonna use the auric cells and get it. 😆😆But I can still see the issue that people are bringing up.

Comments

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288021#Comment_3288021

    Most people who complain just say that they don't like the change, explain that it was not time limited and now it is, explain all the shard changes etc.

    One thing that they don't tell is why does it particularly matter to them. So why???

    Do all of you have FOMO issues? Or you just know a friend who has a friend who has a FOMO issue and you are very worried about them?

    Because I can still care about things that don’t affect me, but might negatively affect someone else. 🤣🤣🤣 I don’t only think about myself.

  • Don't get me wrong, as someone who doesn't care about the skins being made limited, i do understand where people are coming from (skins that have existed in the store for over a year should not suddenly be changed to be limited, that's just being a dick for the sake of being a dick), but at the same time, BHVR are a corporation, a corporation that is significantly nicer to both its employees and its customers sure, but a corporation nonetheless, and corporations exist for one reason and one reason only, to make money, and they will do so in any way they see fit that isn't explicitly illegal, and yelling about this on a public forum or Twitter will not change that

    It's best to save your energy when it comes to stuff like this, hurt their bottom line in whatever way possible and they might change their minds

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    Don't get me wrong, as someone who doesn't care about the skins being made limited, i do understand where people are coming from (skins that have existed in the store for over a year should not suddenly be changed to be limited, that's just being a dick for the sake of being a dick), but at the same time, BHVR are a corporation, a corporation that is significantly nicer to both its employees and its customers sure, but a corporation nonetheless, and corporations exist for one reason and one reason only, to make money, and they will do so in any way they see fit that isn't explicitly illegal, and yelling about this on a public forum or Twitter will not change that

    It's best to save your energy when it comes to stuff like this, hurt their bottom line in whatever way possible and they might change their minds

    I can't not spend money I wasn't going to spend in the first place, so the best I can do is criticise it in public and hope it changes somebody else's mind.

  • @BougieBlackChick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288186#Comment_3288186

    I don’t think it’s cherry picking. The other things you mentioned are also relevant and things that I HAVE also seen discussed here. It’s just that this topic is the current topic being discussed mostly due to the fact that it’s news that was just recently announced.. That doesn’t mean that those other issues have not been brought up or addressed.

    also let’s keep in mind that it shouldn’t be necessary for a person to post EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM they have with a video game/devs/company every single time they want to talk about one issue. That’s a ridiculous burden to put on anyone or expect.

    I have literally never read a post regarding some of those topics I bring up, where mental health was the focus or concern.

    They’ve been mostly about balance and survivors being frustrated about said topics (Camping/Tunnel focus someone out, BM and post chat threats).

    So when you say “It shouldn’t be necessary” well actually it’s never been the case to begin with. I would take a threat of someone being told to end their life more serious than a time-limited skin argument for the sake of mental health, which no one (unless they are a doctor) should be trying to give unsolicited advice on anyway.

  • Why would seasonal skins be exempt from Iri shards, even 1yr later?

  • @Coriander said:

    Why would seasonal skins be exempt from Iri shards, even 1yr later?

    We have no idea, nor confirmation that won't be the case.

  • @BougieBlackChick said:

    I said this elsewhere so I’m just gonna post it here too.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/PMIFCHX9FXD7/b94544cb-ead1-4a59-bb9f-7df14655906f.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/GEECP51RT06D/9ed62cb9-3b0c-4852-8e94-c62f3e49351f.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/3P56BMGNGIXY/bd0868bf-a4e6-4373-8058-47d2132bd170.jpeg

    I’m someone who is impatient and I don’t like to wait to earn shards to buy stuff so if I want something I’m just gonna use the auric cells and get it. 😆😆But I can still see the issue that people are bringing up.

    This whole thing has just become a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

    Those who consider this an issue want those who doesn't to stop disregarding their concerns and making posts about them.

    Those who consider this an overreaction want those who doesn't to stop arguing about it in posts.

    In the end the forum is a recipient for both opinions and others as well. Or at least it should be. So long as everyone follow basic civility guidelines (and forum rules).

    I would ultimately suggest that everyone just focus on what they want to discuss with others who share their viewpoints and nevermind the others if they can't interact in a non destructive manner, but then we would be back to telling each other what we think they should or shouldn't do.

    Gee, this is why we can't have nice things.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288196#Comment_3288196

    I have literally never read a post regarding some of those topics I bring up, where mental health was the focus or concern.

    They’ve been mostly about balance and survivors being frustrated about said topics (Camping/Tunnel focus someone out, BM and post chat threats).

    So when you say “It shouldn’t be necessary” well actually it’s never been the case to begin with. I would take a threat of someone being told to end their life more serious than a time-limited skin argument for the sake of mental health, which no one (unless they are a doctor) should be trying to give unsolicited advice on anyway.

    I get why FOMO is such a bad thing and I do hate companies that do it, but that's when the cosmetics are a ONE TIME ONLY. I hate missing out on a cosmetic that I know I can't get it ever again. Rainbow Six Seige and Fortnight are notorious of that

    But in BHVRs case they specifically said that the cosmetics will be back next year like EVERY OTHER game that has seasonal cosmetics.

    But I pose a question....what happens to these folks that are afraid of FOMO if BHVR decided to close the servers down and shut down the game....will they try and get their money back because they think BHVR owes them something or will they just go meh and move on?

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288451#Comment_3288451

    I get why FOMO is such a bad thing and I do hate companies that do it, but that's when the cosmetics are a ONE TIME ONLY. I hate missing out on a cosmetic that I know I can't get it ever again. Rainbow Six Seige and Fortnight are notorious of that

    But in BHVRs case they specifically said that the cosmetics will be back next year like EVERY OTHER game that has seasonal cosmetics.

    But I pose a question....what happens to these folks that are afraid of FOMO if BHVR decided to close the servers down and shut down the game....will they try and get their money back because they think BHVR owes them something or will they just go meh and move on?

    Exactly. There is a difference between limited stock and limited time.

  • Looking at this from a different perspective - BHVR, like other companies, are about making money. To date, they have had these older cosmetics readily available to make money from all year around. Yet they've still decided to make them seasonal only. Any chance that their data shows that the only time anyone really purchases these Christmas themed cosmetics is during the Christmas month? So rather than clutter the store with cosmetics that don't sell for 11 months of the year, they've simply decided to make them special and exclusive to that one month where they actually sell anyway?

  • @Nazzzak said:

    Looking at this from a different perspective - BHVR, like other companies, are about making money. To date, they have had these older cosmetics readily available to make money from all year around. Yet they've still decided to make them seasonal only. Any chance that their data shows that the only time anyone really purchases these Christmas themed cosmetics is during the Christmas month? So rather than clutter the store with cosmetics that don't sell for 11 months of the year, they've simply decided to make them special and exclusive to that one month where they actually sell anyway?

    the eternal question that raises is how various pyjama costumes become christmas themed

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288196#Comment_3288196

    I have literally never read a post regarding some of those topics I bring up, where mental health was the focus or concern.

    They’ve been mostly about balance and survivors being frustrated about said topics (Camping/Tunnel focus someone out, BM and post chat threats).

    So when you say “It shouldn’t be necessary” well actually it’s never been the case to begin with. I would take a threat of someone being told to end their life more serious than a time-limited skin argument for the sake of mental health, which no one (unless they are a doctor) should be trying to give unsolicited advice on anyway.


    you’ve never seen a post so they must pnot exist. It just didn’t happen then. Sure Jan.

  • @BougieBlackChick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288451#Comment_3288451

    you’ve never seen a post so they must pnot exist. It just didn’t happen then. Sure Jan.

    I never said they must not exist. Read what I actually said instead of trying twist words.

    I said I just haven't seen it in the same ENERGY as with this. Even though (to me) they have always been present as an issue.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288733#Comment_3288733

    the eternal question that raises is how various pyjama costumes become christmas themed

    Dunno, but if you read the pyjama descriptions they refer to the holidays (eg Yun-Jins pyjamas were worn for a holiday theme photoshoot, and Feng's was worn for a cozy night indoors over the holidays). I guess they figured if they were going to stick to the holiday/seasonal theme they needed to include *all* outfits released for said holiday

  • Why do we need 12 threads on this? Why is this not one mega-thread?

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288219#Comment_3288219

    On pages 55 & 56:

    In “The Addictive Cost of Predatory Videogame Monetization,” game critic and former games journalist Jim Sterling says it’s easy to suggest that people who overspend on games should just be smarter with their money. But as they argue, a person can’t just switch off an addiction to gambling or shopping even if they know the behavior is harmful. They also say that addiction can be a symptom of or response to other problems with mental health.

    “The place where I once found distraction and salvation is now preying upon my addictive nature and impulse spending problems. It hurts, it really does,” the source told Sterling. “It’s this weird mentality of ‘It’s only here for a limited time, and if I don’t get it now I may never get it again and not complete my collection.’ Hitting that ‘buy now’ button, seeing the rewards pop up, the spinning of the dice or slot wheels ticking past the rare loot. The ‘just one more’ rationale. It completely overrules any common sense like: ‘You need this money to pay the rent, or your medical bills, or food."

    A link to Sterling's video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-DGTBZU14

    Thanks for the insightful comment, I imagine it must have been a lot of work going through the thesis. The only thing I'm getting from this passage is that there are indeed people who fall prey to this sort of making-use-of-addiction marketing (by lack of a better term. I'm not a native speaker, sorry.) Do you perhaps have any data points to support this, besides this anecdote? Not trying to sound rude, I'm deeply sympathetic to those suffering from addiction, but would you happen to have something that we could more broadly use?

  • @WalterBlack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3288414#Comment_3288414

    Thanks for the insightful comment, I imagine it must have been a lot of work going through the thesis. The only thing I'm getting from this passage is that there are indeed people who fall prey to this sort of making-use-of-addiction marketing (by lack of a better term. I'm not a native speaker, sorry.) Do you perhaps have any data points to support this, besides this anecdote? Not trying to sound rude, I'm deeply sympathetic to those suffering from addiction, but would you happen to have something that we could more broadly use?

    Gotta admit, it's kinda hard to find raw data.

    After a bit of research, I found this, could be something.

  • Sorry for the late response, I'll have a look whenever possible.

  • Funnily enough, Game Maker's Toolkit covered the subject of FOMO too, citing also a lack of studies on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1kbBcm9XRI

1 2 ›