Seeking Validation from Others

I'm gonna say this as an extreme hot take but I have to ask. What is wrong with you killer and survivor players? Why do you guys do this thing where you seek validation from the other side for playing the game? For example "I dont camp or tunnel and play fair but all I see are sweaty survivors with toolboxes and bnp". Another example is "I dont run gen rush perks or even exhaustion cause I want to have fun but the killers are running nothing but slowdown". I didn't realize in the 6 years of this game that people need to seek validation just for playing the game.

Comments

  • you guys

    I don't. I just play the way I want and collect the salt.

    The people you mention do this in every life situations. They have yet to learn any better strategy to cope with the fact that their time on earth is limited.

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    I'm gonna say this as an extreme hot take but I have to ask. What is wrong with you killer and survivor players? Why do you guys do this thing where you seek validation from the other side for playing the game? For example "I dont camp or tunnel and play fair but all I see are sweaty survivors with toolboxes and bnp". Another example is "I dont run gen rush perks or even exhaustion cause I want to have fun but the killers are running nothing but slowdown". I didn't realize in the 6 years of this game that people need to seek validation just for playing the game.

    People come up with these fairy tale imaginary rules, I've never seem it in any other game. I've noticed its pretty biased a long time ago when I was still new at the game. I played super nice during a match, avoided to tunnel people just to be nice and still got tbagged and bmed at chat at the end, after that I stopped cared and just played normal since.

  • @Random_NPC said:

    you guys

    I don't. I just play the way I want and collect the salt.

    The people you mention do this in every life situations. They have yet to learn any better strategy to cope with the fact that their time on earth is limited.

    Well I wasn't mentioning you specifically. I dont think I needed to clarify that aspect if you aren't seeking validation.

    But you have a point. People do this so much to the point where its taboo to just live life

  • Because somewhere some popular streamers came up with a stupid rulebook, maybe it even started as a meme but now there is actually LOADS of people taking it serious, all though the devs NEVER once said it has to be that way. That is some weird case of "community ethics" that some practice while other people (like me) dont care about them at all. Only thing i do blame is cheating and i think the majority can agree on that.


    New players will get responses from others in the EGC or in DMs, about how they are "bad sports" or something. Because of this, people get confused and come here to the forums to ask if this ACTUALLY is a thing, just to see the great divideness again from people that follow the rulebook and people that dont care at all. Beside it being only a game but i guess its easyer to blame your loss at some imaginary rules than on your own skill and mistakes.


    Just because something doesnt feel fair it doesnt mean the other player is not allowed to do it, its a pvp game after all.

  • They are talking about their experiences in the game... nothing more nothing less

    Plus if people talked about their experiences without saying "I don't run meta perks/ playstyles" then it would be assumed they do/ did

    But it seems that people think that it only happens to them

  • @Terion said:

    Because somewhere some popular streamers came up with a stupid rulebook, maybe it even started as a meme but now there is actually LOADS of people taking it serious, all though the devs NEVER once said it has to be that way. That is some weird case of "community ethics" that some practice while other people (like me) dont care about them at all. Only thing i do blame is cheating and i think the majority can agree on that.

    New players will get responses from others in the EGC or in DMs, about how they are "bad sports" or something. Because of this, people get confused and come here to the forums to ask if this ACTUALLY is a thing, just to see the great divideness again from people that follow the rulebook and people that dont care at all. Beside it being only a game but i guess its easyer to blame your loss at some imaginary rules than on your own skill and mistakes.

    Just because something doesnt feel fair it doesnt mean the other player is not allowed to do it, its a pvp game after all.

    You're onto something about the streamers. People latch hard onto their ideas and do this thing where they shame others for playing the game or create an echo chamber by trying to seek validation.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    They are talking about their experiences in the game... nothing more nothing less

    Plus if people talked about their experiences without saying "I don't run meta perks/ playstyles" then it would be assumed they do/ did

    But it seems that people think that it only happens to them

    You're not wrong but I just dont see why people need to justify playing the game they want. It's weird to me that playing the game people want is so taboo

  • Kinda hard to reply to this topic without affirming your position... but I generally don't camp or tunnel, I find it boring and do actually like to make the game enjoyable for the other players I encounter. But that doesn't mean I'm looking for validation, because I often support the exact opposite, the validity of 'unfun' tactics such as camping and tunnelling where necessary, and the right of the killer to play as s/he feels and to ignore the opinions of others, mainly because there is no consensus, and all players want the same thing, to win. I've been called a troll and a killer main™ many times for this.

    Ultimately we all want a little validation though, or we wouldn't be posting on a forum. If you're here, you either want answers, you want to vent, or you want likeminded individuals to agree with you.

  • @Seraphor said:

    Kinda hard to reply to this topic without affirming your position... but I generally don't camp or tunnel, I find it boring and do actually like to make the game enjoyable for the other players I encounter. But that doesn't mean I'm looking for validation, because I often support the exact opposite, the validity of 'unfun' tactics such as camping and tunnelling where necessary, and the right of the killer to play as s/he feels and to ignore the opinions of others, mainly because there is no consensus, and all players want the same thing, to win. I've been called a troll and a killer main™ many times for this.

    I feel like i worded this wrong and should clarify. Why do people play the game the way they want to camp/tunnel, genrush and then go create posts where they need to be reaffirmed that playing the game isn't a horrible thing. My stance is play the game the way you want and not go to others for reassurance that touching a gen for 5 seconds is allowed or using a killer power doesn't make you scum of the earth

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262386#Comment_3262386

    You're not wrong but I just dont see why people need to justify playing the game they want. It's weird to me that playing the game people want is so taboo

    I don't know either... but I haven't played the game in awhile so

    Probably to point out the bad things that curse the game... I really don't know

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262385#Comment_3262385

    You're onto something about the streamers. People latch hard onto their ideas and do this thing where they shame others for playing the game or create an echo chamber by trying to seek validation.

    ye its basicly herd mentallity. When i first got blamed for tunneling in this game my first thought was "oh its against the rules? Guess im an outfit then, it made me win the game so its fine to me." Just to learn that actually most killers think like me, and i even think, all though a big population the players that actually do care about the rulebook are still the minority. Lets face it, most players do in fact play both sides. It would be like paying full price for the game but only play 50% of it if they didnt. Its again that big, silent majority that just does their thing.

    i could be one of those too, but im too concerned about pushing back the idea that you have to follow the "rules". Because there is always people that seek validation as you stated. And at least they deserve the opportuinity to hear both views and decide for themselves.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262389#Comment_3262389

    I don't know either... but I haven't played the game in awhile so

    Probably to point out the bad things that curse the game... I really don't know

    I came back to the forums after literal months and I dont understand this new wave of "Does playing the game make me a terrible person?"

  • @Terion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262388#Comment_3262388

    ye its basicly herd mentallity. When i first got blamed for tunneling in this game my first thought was "oh its against the rules? Guess im an outfit then, it made me win the game so its fine to me." Just to learn that actually most killers think like me, and i even think, all though a big population the players that actually do care about the rulebook are still the minority. Lets face it, most players do in fact play both sides. It would be like paying full price for the game but only play 50% of it if they didnt. Its again that big, silent majority that just does their thing.

    i could be one of those too, but im too concerned about pushing back the idea that you have to follow the "rules". Because there is always people that seek validation as you stated. And at least they deserve the opportuinity to hear both views and decide for themselves.

    Honestly, I respect this stance. I guess my line of reasoning falls along the lines of seeing people basically walk on egg shells the second they boot up the game.

  • My favorites are the killers who like pride themselves on survivors liking them. "I let 2 - 3 survivors go every game and I never run slowdown! All the survivors tell me how much fun it is to play against me!" Of course they like you when you make it easy for them to win lmao

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262401#Comment_3262401

    Honestly, I respect this stance. I guess my line of reasoning falls along the lines of seeing people basically walk on egg shells the second they boot up the game.

    which is something i hope is not the case for many players. I cant imagine that feeling.

  • @Veinslay said:

    My favorites are the killers who like pride themselves on survivors liking them. "I let 2 - 3 survivors go every game and I never run slowdown! All the survivors tell me how much fun it is to play against me!" Of course they like you when you make it easy for them to win lmao

    I see a lot of threads that do this thing where they style it like the Reddit AITA posts for literally stuff like touching a gen for 5 seconds

  • @Veinslay said:

    My favorites are the killers who like pride themselves on survivors liking them. "I let 2 - 3 survivors go every game and I never run slowdown! All the survivors tell me how much fun it is to play against me!" Of course they like you when you make it easy for them to win lmao

    i mean if that is the thing that does bring them joy, then it is fine to me. I dont have to share their habit. It becomes a problem when the same lobby that faced them last game thinks they can expect it from me the next game. or when they act like its not to bad be a "nice killer" like not all of us want to play like that. I myslef care most about my challenges and what i also like is seeing i made just as much, if not more bloodpoints than the survivors i went against, even if it was a 0k.

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262400#Comment_3262400

    I came back to the forums after literal months and I dont understand this new wave of "Does playing the game make me a terrible person?"

    End game chats... do that to people

    That and the game being a salt mine... Entitlement on both sides... not understanding what a side does (or the perks involved)

    One side thinks one way and the other side disagrees and think another way...

    It's turned into a vicious cycle (and it stems from other vicious cycles...)

    From camping and Tunneling... to perks.... to Maps... to items and offerings

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262403#Comment_3262403

    End game chats... do that to people

    That and the game being a salt mine... Entitlement on both sides... not understanding what a side does (or the perks involved)

    One side thinks one way and the other side disagrees and think another way...

    It's turned into a vicious cycle (and it stems from other vicious cycles...)

    From camping and Tunneling... to perks.... to Maps... to items and offerings

    If I were to make a statement, I'd say that the validation thing is simply a symptom of this thing that the community does that has a direct correlation to life. Herd mentality followed by us v them ideology that makes it to where playing the game is a crime against humanity

  • Like I said it's a vicious cycle... so yea

    Also it'll be hard to get to the bottom of it... people are people after all

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    Like I said it's a vicious cycle... so yea

    Also it'll be hard to get to the bottom of it... people are people after all

    and with that, you maybe just got to the bottom of it XD

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    Like I said it's a vicious cycle... so yea

    Also it'll be hard to get to the bottom of it... people are people after all

    I already have a working theory. I need to do some digging and get some specific answers

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    I'm gonna say this as an extreme hot take but I have to ask. What is wrong with you killer and survivor players? Why do you guys do this thing where you seek validation from the other side for playing the game? For example "I dont camp or tunnel and play fair but all I see are sweaty survivors with toolboxes and bnp". Another example is "I dont run gen rush perks or even exhaustion cause I want to have fun but the killers are running nothing but slowdown". I didn't realize in the 6 years of this game that people need to seek validation just for playing the game.

    Because most of the people are very young. And (on you) because you are expecting people to be smarter than what they are.

  • @Terion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262470#Comment_3262470

    and with that, you maybe just got to the bottom of it XD

    LOL... I doubt it

    The vicious cycle has many different points... would you like examples???

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262470#Comment_3262470

    I already have a working theory. I need to do some digging and get some specific answers

    Well I'd be happy to see it... when it's done

  • I have to go to some killer main/survivor main channels and observe some of the comments. I should have something by tomorrow

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262474#Comment_3262474

    LOL... I doubt it

    The vicious cycle has many different points... would you like examples???

    i think im fine XD it was just me trying to simplify things.

  • @Terion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262497#Comment_3262497

    i think im fine XD it was just me trying to simplify things.

    We can't simplify things when it comes to peoples choices... LOL

    But fair enough... I would've probably either missed something or couldn't explain it as well as other could've

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262498#Comment_3262498

    I have to go to some killer main/survivor main channels and observe some of the comments. I should have something by tomorrow

    Can't wait... so are you going to make a new thread for it or put it in this one?

  • I play the way I would like my opponents to play when I'm on the other role. That's just my general approach to video games.

    I'm casual, I want to have fun, and for me that means playing relaxed and chatting with my opponents afterwards, win or loss. I've made several friends that way, and I'm very content with it. =)

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262500#Comment_3262500

    Can't wait... so are you going to make a new thread for it or put it in this one?

    Probably a new thread as a first thought

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262501#Comment_3262501

    We can't simplify things when it comes to peoples choices... LOL

    But fair enough... I would've probably either missed something or couldn't explain it as well as other could've

    i mean if you want to give it a shot go ahead, i think its very hard to get at the depths of it.

  • It's social manipulation.

    People shame the players that are an inconvenience to them in an attempt to punish them for their "bad" behaviour.

    Whilst people that put themselves at a disadvantage by using weak characters/perks are seen as "gigachad"

    Basically the less of an inconvenience you are to other players the more approval you will get.

  • @Terion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262522#Comment_3262522

    i mean if you want to give it a shot go ahead, i think its very hard to get at the depths of it.

    OK then....

    Camping VS. Gen Rushing- Does one lead to the other?

    Tunneling VS. Looping- Does one lead to the other?

    Gen perks (Both sides)- Does one lead to the other?

    Solo VS. SWF- Does one lead to the other?

    Looping VS. Mindgames- Does one lead to the other?

    Chase perks (Both sides)- Does one lead to the other?

    4V1 VS. 1V1V1V1V1- Does one lead to the other?

    Entitled Survivors VS. Entitled Killers- Does one lead to the other?

    Toxicity on both sides- Does one lead to the other?

    That's all I can think of at this point and time....

  • Ok will do... Tag me in it if you can

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262583#Comment_3262583

    OK then....

    Camping VS. Gen Rushing- Does one lead to the other?

    Tunneling VS. Looping- Does one lead to the other?

    Gen perks (Both sides)- Does one lead to the other?

    Solo VS. SWF- Does one lead to the other?

    Looping VS. Mindgames- Does one lead to the other?

    Chase perks (Both sides)- Does one lead to the other?

    4V1 VS. 1V1V1V1V1- Does one lead to the other?

    Entitled Survivors VS. Entitled Killers- Does one lead to the other?

    Toxicity on both sides- Does one lead to the other?

    That's all I can think of at this point and time....

    what was first? the egg or the chicken? XD

  • That's the entire point... it turns into a vicious cycle once people start the discussion about any of what I put

    Do you play to complete all Gens before the Killer can down and hook another Survivor.... And do you play to Kill at least one Survivor before the first Gen is done (I am assuming that you play both sides)

  • I don't need to be validated. I will continue to say "killer-biased" things if it means speaking my mind. I have no shame. But it is nice to hear someone who agrees with you every once in a while.

  • @AverageKateMain said:

    I'm gonna say this as an extreme hot take but I have to ask. What is wrong with you killer and survivor players? Why do you guys do this thing where you seek validation from the other side for playing the game? For example "I dont camp or tunnel and play fair but all I see are sweaty survivors with toolboxes and bnp". Another example is "I dont run gen rush perks or even exhaustion cause I want to have fun but the killers are running nothing but slowdown". I didn't realize in the 6 years of this game that people need to seek validation just for playing the game.

    It's not so much validation for me, but more so just empathy.

    Just for the sake of examples... Whenever I play survivor, I get relentlessly tunneled out of the match until I am dead (even if it causes all the generators to get done), it feels like I have no time to relax between chases, and it hurts me post-game since I dont get objective or altruism BP, and since I am on a fresh account since I moved from Console to PC it feels really bad to not get much BP because I was chased the whole game. So whenever I play survivor and I tunnel by accident, I feel bad because I was in the same situation, so I avoid doing it.

    I dont really care about winning, that being said, but I just want the game to not be as frustrating as it is. It's why Ive taken long breaks from playing.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262911#Comment_3262911

    That's the entire point... it turns into a vicious cycle once people start the discussion about any of what I put

    Do you play to complete all Gens before the Killer can down and hook another Survivor.... And do you play to Kill at least one Survivor before the first Gen is done (I am assuming that you play both sides)

    i mean i certainly are not that player that helps to de-toxicate stuff. I will shamelessly take advantage of situations while playing on both sides. I do have occasions where i think of playing nice, gave 2 people the exit gate and farmed with them today as ghostface, even met one of them 2 rounds later again. On the same map even but as a diffrent killer. But then im just happy with what i got. Most of the time i just do care about my challenges and earning much bloodpoints and nothing else.


    As a survivor i too gave a killer the 1k at least when we litteraly even in SoloQ stomped them. But that is just as rare.

  • @Terion said:

    Because somewhere some popular streamers came up with a stupid rulebook, maybe it even started as a meme but now there is actually LOADS of people taking it serious, all though the devs NEVER once said it has to be that way. That is some weird case of "community ethics" that some practice while other people (like me) dont care about them at all. Only thing i do blame is cheating and i think the majority can agree on that.

    New players will get responses from others in the EGC or in DMs, about how they are "bad sports" or something. Because of this, people get confused and come here to the forums to ask if this ACTUALLY is a thing, just to see the great divideness again from people that follow the rulebook and people that dont care at all. Beside it being only a game but i guess its easyer to blame your loss at some imaginary rules than on your own skill and mistakes.

    Just because something doesnt feel fair it doesnt mean the other player is not allowed to do it, its a pvp game after all.

    They not only take it serious but make their own versions of it. "You only hooked 1 person before you hooked me again! Tunneler!" Or they won't even have a coherent argument, and will just insult, no matter the perks, add-ons, or killer. "Wow, you really had to play like a jerk?" They mean playing to win.

    And the fake virtue signaling/talks of "sportsmanship" are another new and underrated topic. They won't say it outright, but they'll literally ask you to play badly so that the other team has greater chance of winning, "Because that's being a good sport!" It's so cringe. In reality, sportsmanship is simply playing well without BMing or rubbing it in, something most of the players on this game are incapable of, and yet they're the ones who subscribe to this fake "play bad for my fun" sportsmanship.

  • @Okonar_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/354503/seeking-validation-from-others

    People come up with these fairy tale imaginary rules, I've never seem it in any other game. I've noticed its pretty biased a long time ago when I was still new at the game. I played super nice during a match, avoided to tunnel people just to be nice and still got tbagged and bmed at chat at the end, after that I stopped cared and just played normal since.

    My favorite made up rule is gatekeeping Killer behavior behind a required number of gens.


    "Really, Killer? You are doing that at 5 gens?"


    And yet, you never hear "Really, Survivors? You are doing that at zero hooks?"

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3262385#Comment_3262385

    They not only take it serious but make their own versions of it. "You only hooked 1 person before you hooked me again! Tunneler!" Or they won't even have a coherent argument, and will just insult, no matter the perks, add-ons, or killer. "Wow, you really had to play like a jerk?" They mean playing to win.

    And the fake virtue signaling/talks of "sportsmanship" are another new and underrated topic. They won't say it outright, but they'll literally ask you to play badly so that the other team has greater chance of winning, "Because that's being a good sport!" It's so cringe. In reality, sportsmanship is simply playing well without BMing or rubbing it in, something most of the players on this game are incapable of, and yet they're the ones who subscribe to this fake "play bad for my fun" sportsmanship.

    100% agree with you!. Best answer to this is to play as rutheless as possible. I dont even try to argue with them anymore. Had a EGC today where i got shamed for "tunneling" (word is made up btw and doesnt even exist in the dictionary XD ) I told them basicly that i dont play by their rulebook and how i will play to my own interest and my own fun, that i really dont care how salty it makes them. Then one asked me "do you think we dont want to have fun too?" and i answered again with "well i dont care if it is fun to you, it was fun for me because i did get my challenge done." They didnt respond afterwards.

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    I don't need to be validated. I will continue to say "killer-biased" things if it means speaking my mind. I have no shame. But it is nice to hear someone who agrees with you every once in a while.

    I'm starting to return more into killer despite the incentives being so...annoying. It's more fun when you apply the survivor mentality of fun with certain objectives as killer.