@Devs: Struggle Phase

Greetings,
I wanted to ask a solid to devs to the struggle mechanic. Nothing huge or something that might change the game but actually make it more accessible to everyone

While in struggle phase as survivor you have to press repeatedly the same button. I want to ask to change this so you have to just hold it. I ask this since came in mind an old Post where someone said their wife couldn't press it that many times for muscular/nerves issues, I'm not sure which.

Sometimes might be tiring even for who have no issue like this so I can't imagine how would be for them. This change would get rid of macro on PC and at the same time making it less tedious for who find it boring or actually painful depending to the person

Won't change the game at all but just make it more accessible even for the people who might have a bad time pressing repeatedly the same key.

I hope devs would hear this out since might help some people out. Maybe not me or who reads but even if it's a 1% of the playerbase I think it's worth it tweak it

Comments

  • @Peanits @not_Queen if you can bring this up to the designer team would be awesome

    I never thought of a problem like this until someone who had it brought it up
  • Like colorblind support, this is an important issue. If nothing else, it will help solve the problem of people killing themselves on the hook because tapping the space bar is boring.
    If I may, though, it should be hold to stop. For people with muscle/nerve issues, holding or tapping really doesn't make much of a difference. Holding down a button for a full minute can be just as difficult as tapping it. It should also be a choice.

  • Orion said:

    Like colorblind support, this is an important issue. If nothing else, it will help solve the problem of people killing themselves on the hook because tapping the space bar is boring.
    If I may, though, it should be hold to stop. For people with muscle/nerve issues, holding or tapping really doesn't make much of a difference. Holding down a button for a full minute can be just as difficult as tapping it. It should also be a choice.

    Indeed, not having this issues I don't know which approach take so thought about just hold it but also hold to stop I guess would be fine. Whatever takes to make it easier for them and not be forced to die to avoid a muscle pain or anything related to the hands really

    Edit: Also colorblind is important. My friend is and even if doesn't play this game I can see how important it is for people like him have it even just by his reactions when he finally find the option to do so. These things would help people that might come, especially advertising the game to a wider audience
  • It is an important problem but holding space bar and other options with space bar is not a really good idea.

    Most people have reflexes and it will cause people to kill themselves accidentally. It should be a button like dead hard, when you press it, you die. Survivors and killers don't have to wait for a minute for no reason.

  • What if you would have to hit Skill Checks to stay alive?

  • Delfador said:

    It is an important problem but holding space bar and other options with space bar is not a really good idea.

    Most people have reflexes and it will cause people to kill themselves accidentally. It should be a button like dead hard, when you press it, you die. Survivors and killers don't have to wait for a minute for no reason.

    Yeah maybe like the button that allows you to try a koebe

    As said to Orion idk which is the best so I thought about holding it but even this idea would do the trick
  • Boss said:

    What if you would have to hit Skill Checks to stay alive?

    I like it but would kinda change the mechanic itself. I just prefer to help who actually can't perform these actions first. Same for colorblindness
  • U can use AHK. Not whitelisted, but EAC doesn't ban you for using it for struggle and wiggle macros 
  • @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    U can use AHK. Not whitelisted, but EAC doesn't ban you for using it for struggle and wiggle macros 

    True but for example the poster that I referred in my OP was playing on console. Kinda hard having macros there plus won't hurt anybody just change it to make everyone able to do that without using external tools making sure even people with some problems on hands and fingers that can't repeat the same action over and over again to play

    One poster said his wife couldn't do much about it so she always had to let herself die or feel pain, I'd rather give even to these people a way to play without forcing them to make such choices just to enjoy a game

  • I'd say either just make it so you have to hold it or have it so you don't have to press anything just press space, X, or A. It's a game you shouldn't have to be inconvenienced in real life. That's why they changed the flashlight blind because if you were playing in a dark room that light was annoying AF, now it's nicer when you get blinded

  • @Malakir

    The Struggle-Phase issue is one of first things my friend mentioned that was super boring and frustrating about this game.

    You kind of get used to it, but even people without muscle-issues see it as a problem. It was an un-fun mechanic to begin.

    What if, just like in the first hooking phase, you have a bar that you can fill.

    Instead of having to press a button to stay alive, you press a button that fills the bar that'll kill you. (slowly decreases when not being pressed.

    You'd have to press about 10 times in a decently quick succession to fill the bar and die to the entity.
    This solves: reflexes issues, when having to hold it (solution)
    This solves: Accidentally pressing it when only needing to press it once (solution)

    The topic of this post is great! Thanks for bringing it up.

  • Malakir said:

    @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    U can use AHK. Not whitelisted, but EAC doesn't ban you for using it for struggle and wiggle macros 

    True but for example the poster that I referred in my OP was playing on console. Kinda hard having macros there plus won't hurt anybody just change it to make everyone able to do that without using external tools making sure even people with some problems on hands and fingers that can't repeat the same action over and over again to play

    One poster said his wife couldn't do much about it so she always had to let herself die or feel pain, I'd rather give even to these people a way to play without forcing them to make such choices just to enjoy a game

    Oh didn't know that, yeah true console players are pretty much F-ed with no tools 
  • @Malakir said:
    Greetings,
    I wanted to ask a solid to devs to the struggle mechanic. Nothing huge or something that might change the game but actually make it more accessible to everyone

    While in struggle phase as survivor you have to press repeatedly the same button. I want to ask to change this so you have to just hold it. I ask this since came in mind an old Post where someone said their wife couldn't press it that many times for muscular/nerves issues, I'm not sure which.

    Sometimes might be tiring even for who have no issue like this so I can't imagine how would be for them. This change would get rid of macro on PC and at the same time making it less tedious for who find it boring or actually painful depending to the person

    Won't change the game at all but just make it more accessible even for the people who might have a bad time pressing repeatedly the same key.

    I hope devs would hear this out since might help some people out. Maybe not me or who reads but even if it's a 1% of the playerbase I think it's worth it tweak it

    Its purpose is to "struggle".
    Holding down a button would be to simple.

    But I agree, its very dull and insults our intelligence. I propose some kind of mindgame (similar to snap out e.g.)

  • I'd also like this change. My hands are extremely twitchy sometimes and pressing a button over and over in the same rhythm is seriously exhausting and I've had countless times where I died on second hook because of it.
    Yeah, I mean. It shouldnt make you get hurt or punish you for these things. 

    IdI like to make it accessible to everyone and I hope devs would do something about this and for color blind people too
  • @Malakir

    The Struggle-Phase issue is one of first things my friend mentioned that was super boring and frustrating about this game.

    You kind of get used to it, but even people without muscle-issues see it as a problem. It was an un-fun mechanic to begin.

    What if, just like in the first hooking phase, you have a bar that you can fill.

    Instead of having to press a button to stay alive, you press a button that fills the bar that'll kill you. (slowly decreases when not being pressed.

    You'd have to press about 10 times in a decently quick succession to fill the bar and die to the entity.
    This solves: reflexes issues, when having to hold it (solution)
    This solves: Accidentally pressing it when only needing to press it once (solution)

    The topic of this post is great! Thanks for bringing it up.

    Yeah I like that, like when you try to get out by yourself from the hook

    I really want to have these changes especially after they advertised the game to a wide crowd recently these changes would be more user friendly for everybody

    If someone can bring this up to devs and or tag some mods that can do it would be great

    I tagged the two I know, in case if you can reach them easier I would appreciate if anybody can do so
  • I'd like to have this changed too.  
  • Even better, just have it so the survivor can hold the button to channel death. Kinda like doing a struggle attempt. Why we have to do anything to stay alive is beyond me.

  • Speaking of holding down the button, I'm quite sure survivor/victim players would like for actions that takes time to progress would be toggleable, so that instead of holding down the button for the entirety of it, they could instead toggle it on and off. So first click would toggle on which would make it progress automatically, any skill check would still need to be passed, second click would toggle it off. It's quite annoying and tiring to keep holding down the button just to progress an action, like repairing a generator.

    This would actually also deal with tapping to avoid skill checks.

  • Even better, just have it so the survivor can hold the button to channel death. Kinda like doing a struggle attempt. Why we have to do anything to stay alive is beyond me.

    Yeah someone else had this idea too and I totally agree would be even better than just holding
  • I've died before because my finger slips or slows down too much while repeatedly pressing the button, or because of some latency/lag/fps issue that causes a button press to not register. It's a bad mechanic.

  • I've died before because my finger slips or slows down too much while repeatedly pressing the button, or because of some latency/lag/fps issue that causes a button press to not register. It's a bad mechanic.

    Yeah, I dont mind it too much since I can just rebind it to a more comfortable key but for some people is pretty hard just do these repetitive actions or actually impossible

    It's poorly thought
  • Made a post of my own about this back in late June. I'll link it here so you guys can read it if you want. It's a bit different to this idea, but still the same kind of thing.
    I'd love for this to be implemented into the game actually.
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/4812/struggle-should-be-automatic-and-stopped-on-a-button-press

  • I'm actually surprised that noones said tough, deal with it git gud. Because this is actually an important issue and those of you commenting so far have been reasonable and that's pretty rare in these forums. I like these suggestions for making the struggle phase less tedious whilst at the same time making the game accessible for the few with nerve, muscle issues and similar conditions.
  • @Malakir said:
    or actually painful depending to the person

    My carpal tunnel syndrome agrees with you. Hammering space bar hurts a lot.

  • @AshleyWB said:
    I'm actually surprised that noones said tough, deal with it git gud. Because this is actually an important issue and those of you commenting so far have been reasonable and that's pretty rare in these forums. I like these suggestions for making the struggle phase less tedious whilst at the same time making the game accessible for the few with nerve, muscle issues and similar conditions.

    We're talking about someone with a physical limitation.
    They'd be one huge-ass douchebag to talk about just gaining more skill in here.

    A while ago i stumbled upon someone not being able to see some aura colors AT ALL, being at one huge disadvantage.
    There's still nothing done about it.
    Being able to pick your own aura colors is something i wanna see.

  • Boss said:

    @AshleyWB said:
    I'm actually surprised that noones said tough, deal with it git gud. Because this is actually an important issue and those of you commenting so far have been reasonable and that's pretty rare in these forums. I like these suggestions for making the struggle phase less tedious whilst at the same time making the game accessible for the few with nerve, muscle issues and similar conditions.

    We're talking about someone with a physical limitation.
    They'd be one huge-ass douchebag to talk about just gaining more skill in here.

    A while ago i stumbled upon someone not being able to see some aura colors AT ALL, being at one huge disadvantage.
    There's still nothing done about it.
    Being able to pick your own aura colors is something i wanna see.

    Yeah especially for different types of colorblindness this would be great

    It's weird that the devs didnt think about at least colorblind people. Which should be also looked at asap

    These two things can make the game accessible to so many people and help a lot who already play with these inconveniences

    Hopefully @not_Queen @Peanits could bring this up to devs if possible
  • @Malakir said:
    Greetings,
    I wanted to ask a solid to devs to the struggle mechanic. Nothing huge or something that might change the game but actually make it more accessible to everyone

    While in struggle phase as survivor you have to press repeatedly the same button. I want to ask to change this so you have to just hold it. I ask this since came in mind an old Post where someone said their wife couldn't press it that many times for muscular/nerves issues, I'm not sure which.

    Sometimes might be tiring even for who have no issue like this so I can't imagine how would be for them. This change would get rid of macro on PC and at the same time making it less tedious for who find it boring or actually painful depending to the person

    Won't change the game at all but just make it more accessible even for the people who might have a bad time pressing repeatedly the same key.

    I hope devs would hear this out since might help some people out. Maybe not me or who reads but even if it's a 1% of the playerbase I think it's worth it tweak it

    I feel like it kind of looses the game's actual feelng, you have to work for your escape. And it shouldn't be as easy as just holding a button...

    DOCTOR, ANALYSIS!

    Edit: Hard to choose between skill and handicaps that stop you from playing the game properly. The idea is great but I'd rather prefer anything but a press and hold mechanic.

  • Hey guys! This is feedback that was already given to the team.
    I can see if there is any development on this but AFAIK there is nothing in the works to change it.

  • If it’s too painful or tiring to click the same button for less than a min, you probably shouldn’t be playing video games to begin with lol...
  • @iTz_KilLaZ_x said:
    If it’s too painful or tiring to click the same button for less than a min, you probably shouldn’t be playing video games to begin with lol...

    Considering pressing this button vs holding the button would have no negative effect on the game I do not see why it would be an issue. You cannot tell someone "hey you're having trouble with this small part of the game, too bad for you you can no longer play!".

    Its not like people are going to stop playing the game simply because you can now hold the butto- oh wait people complain all the time, they might actually stop playing...that's just sad.

  • Skorpanio said:

    @Malakir said:
    Greetings,
    I wanted to ask a solid to devs to the struggle mechanic. Nothing huge or something that might change the game but actually make it more accessible to everyone

    While in struggle phase as survivor you have to press repeatedly the same button. I want to ask to change this so you have to just hold it. I ask this since came in mind an old Post where someone said their wife couldn't press it that many times for muscular/nerves issues, I'm not sure which.

    Sometimes might be tiring even for who have no issue like this so I can't imagine how would be for them. This change would get rid of macro on PC and at the same time making it less tedious for who find it boring or actually painful depending to the person

    Won't change the game at all but just make it more accessible even for the people who might have a bad time pressing repeatedly the same key.

    I hope devs would hear this out since might help some people out. Maybe not me or who reads but even if it's a 1% of the playerbase I think it's worth it tweak it

    I feel like it kind of looses the game's actual feelng, you have to work for your escape. And it shouldn't be as easy as just holding a button...

    DOCTOR, ANALYSIS!

    Edit: Hard to choose between skill and handicaps that stop you from playing the game properly. The idea is great but I'd rather prefer anything but a press and hold mechanic.

    You really posted a gitgud in a post like this?

    So let's say I'll cut both your hands then say ''gitgud" cuz u can't hold a glass

    I might be a bastard sometimes but even I don't go that low saying that to who might have issues for these kind of things

    "You're colorblind? Too bad gitgud"
    This might be your thinking but just makes you an #########
  • If it’s too painful or tiring to click the same button for less than a min, you probably shouldn’t be playing video games to begin with lol...
    So you haven't even read the thread or you don't give a ######### to make the game more accessible

    Good job! Well with that nickname I cant expect much more
  • @Malakir said:
    TragicSolitude said:

    I've died before because my finger slips or slows down too much while repeatedly pressing the button, or because of some latency/lag/fps issue that causes a button press to not register. It's a bad mechanic.

    Yeah, I dont mind it too much since I can just rebind it to a more comfortable key but for some people is pretty hard just do these repetitive actions or actually impossible

    It's poorly thought

    Oh, sorry, forgot to mention I'm on console, so I'm mashing that slippery little button with my thumb.

    But the issue extends into not just the physical limitations of the person (which is important, I'm not trying to minimize that) but the way the game is programmed, because when there's an fps drop or latency or whatever, the player can get sacrificed even though they're still pushing the button. When this happens, it's usually (but not always) when a survivor runs up and is about to start rescuing me, the fps will drop and suddenly the Entity is impaling me. It sucks not just for me but for the survivor who ran up to the hook to save me. There's no margin for error even though this is an online game and no game runs perfectly 100% of the time.

  • @Malakir said:
    TragicSolitude said:

    I've died before because my finger slips or slows down too much while repeatedly pressing the button, or because of some latency/lag/fps issue that causes a button press to not register. It's a bad mechanic.

    Yeah, I dont mind it too much since I can just rebind it to a more comfortable key but for some people is pretty hard just do these repetitive actions or actually impossible

    It's poorly thought

    Oh, sorry, forgot to mention I'm on console, so I'm mashing that slippery little button with my thumb.

    But the issue extends into not just the physical limitations of the person (which is important, I'm not trying to minimize that) but the way the game is programmed, because when there's an fps drop or latency or whatever, the player can get sacrificed even though they're still pushing the button. When this happens, it's usually (but not always) when a survivor runs up and is about to start rescuing me, the fps will drop and suddenly the Entity is impaling me. It sucks not just for me but for the survivor who ran up to the hook to save me. There's no margin for error even though this is an online game and no game runs perfectly 100% of the time.

    That is true. I'm astonished that this wasn't fixed already especially the colorblind mode but apparently for those 2 idiots above me it's a "gitgud" problem so I can just imagine why this wasn't brought up earlier

    Hope they would do something about it but if some cancer keep spitting dirt about these issues, I don't know what to say really

    Im sorry for being salty but see people talk like that about who might have some problems is like seeing a guy punching a dude in a wheelchair.

    Anyway yeah especially on console this issues are more frequent but in the next patch most of it would disappear. I'm concerned about new and old players that has e these two issues especially after advertising it to a wide audience recently in the game award
  • not_Queen said:

    Hey guys! This is feedback that was already given to the team.
    I can see if there is any development on this but AFAIK there is nothing in the works to change it.

    @not_Queen Can u give the team a small little reminder? Changing the annoying struggle to hold instead of smashing is done in few code lines but would have such a positive impact for many survivors. Sometimes it's just the little things we appreciate the most. 
  • @TragicSolitude said:
    But the issue extends into not just the physical limitations of the person (which is important, I'm not trying to minimize that) but the way the game is programmed, because when there's an fps drop or latency or whatever, the player can get sacrificed even though they're still pushing the button When this happens, it's usually (but not always) when a survivor runs up and is about to start rescuing me, the fps will drop and suddenly the Entity is impaling me. It sucks not just for me but for the survivor who ran up to the hook to save me. There's no margin for error even though this is an online game and no game runs perfectly 100% of the time.

    This right here is the main reason it should be changed. Just today, I played maybe 8 games with a full SWF group. This happened to 2 of my group like 3 or 4 times each. Latency can screw you over. You should have to press/hold the button to die, not stay alive.

  • I think that you should have to hold the button down to struggle or the Survivor automatically struggles and you have to press a button to make them stop.