Has David King always been gay?

Or was it a recent revelation?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    @GoodBoyKaru

    I have to ask you an important question...

    Are you a homosexshah???

    i am alas gay

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078189#Comment_3078189

    i am alas a man in love with a man </3

    its okay i saw him last weekend and hes adorable in person

    You fool. You feel for the bait

    At this moment Mille Bobby brown has not found your location and is on her way to get you.

    Stay where you are :)

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078220#Comment_3078220

    You fool. You feel for the bait

    At this moment Mille Bobby brown has not found your location and is on her way to get you.

    Stay where you are :)

    me omw back to his country so i can spend my last moments with my bf

    get that fire exit door im off 🕳️🚪👩🏻‍🦯

    this was more thematic than i thought it would be were no longer together lmao

  • Just a quick reminder to keep the discussion civil and respectful.

    People's identity and sexuality are not something "weird", representation is important and we'll keep advocating for it.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/A0VCSEWJ8TA6/image.png

    Obligatory Birb post by your resident Rainbow Birb fan.

    (I need to make more versions)

    Hey that Birb is sitting next to my Viper

    Eap9KkSVAAEAwFW.png

    I like to say Birb is the Pilot of it lmao

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077941#Comment_3077941

    Birb! 💜💙💚💛🧡❤️

    (yes, more versions are needed)

    You'll find a few more on my wall now! Requests are welcome (provided I can do it in MS paint)

    Happy birbposting!

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077947#Comment_3077947

    You'll find a few more on my wall now! Requests are welcome (provided I can do it in MS paint)

    Happy birbposting!

    64E5E8D0-9528-4DB0-8E99-6F6397BFF684.jpeg

    Yeees! Now we got all the power.


    missing some kind of happy birb like this 😊/🥳

  • Not to contribute to derailment but I'm getting a lot out of the Wraith/Nurse ship being regarded as canon as a byproduct of this thread.


    As to the lingering piddly handwringing regarding revealing David as gay rather than creating a gay character from the ground up - why not both?

  • @Mozic said:

    Not to contribute to derailment but I'm getting a lot out of the Wraith/Nurse ship being regarded as canon as a byproduct of this thread.

    As to the lingering piddly handwringing regarding revealing David as gay rather than creating a gay character from the ground up - why not both?

    It’s gonna be both anyways. The devs already confirmed there will be more LGBTQ+ characters added - both existing and new characters possible.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078126#Comment_3078126

    It’s not easier. Actually I would argue it’s harder as they have to make sure to not make contradicting lore and it still needing to feel connected etc.

    also, it’s already been confirmed there will be new, original LGBTQ+ characters introduced in the future.

    All they did was say he was gay.

    That is bottom of the barrel easy.

    Christ yall are easy to please lol

  • @Mozic said:

    Not to contribute to derailment but I'm getting a lot out of the Wraith/Nurse ship being regarded as canon as a byproduct of this thread.

    As to the lingering piddly handwringing regarding revealing David as gay rather than creating a gay character from the ground up - why not both?

    They didn't want the first LGBT+ character to be a new character, as it would come across as a cheap after thought. "Oh we need a gay character? Lets just make the next new one gay, they can be the token gay!"

    So making an existing character gay, with believable lore to back it up, was their gesture to say "see, we're not doing this just tick a box, we want to do it right."

    From hereon out though, they could make new characters LGBT+, the gesture has already been made.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078519#Comment_3078519

    They didn't want the first LGBT+ character to be a new character, as it would come across as a cheap after thought. "Oh we need a gay character? Lets just make the next new one gay, they can be the token gay!"

    So making an existing character gay, with believable lore to back it up, was their gesture to say "see, we're not doing this just tick a box, we want to do it right."

    From hereon out though, they could make new characters LGBT+, the gesture has already been made.

    Oh I know! I'm super on board with the way they introduced everything related to David - I more mean to say that folks who frame this discussion as some mutually exclusive matter seem to think that this was the one shot DBD ever had for inclusivity.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078138#Comment_3078138

    All they did was say he was gay.

    That is bottom of the barrel easy.

    Christ yall are easy to please lol

    Some might say ‚easy to please‘

    others might say it wasn’t such a big or significant thing to add anyways and should have been part of the game as long as heterosexual relationships were without making a big deal out of it. And it’s those against inclusion that always make a big deal out of it.

  • I have been trying very hard to express a happy face. Turns out it is very hard to draw a happy expression when you only have 1 eye to draw on and no photoshop skills whatsoever.

    As a byproduct of messing around with MS paint, however, I ended up with Bird With Eyeshadow.

    makeuprainbowbird2.png

    Anyhoo. I'm wildly derailing this thread. I'm out of control~

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078313#Comment_3078313

    I have been trying very hard to express a happy face. Turns out it is very hard to draw a happy expression when you only have 1 eye to draw on and no photoshop skills whatsoever.

    As a byproduct of messing around with MS paint, however, I ended up with Bird With Eyeshadow.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/688JN68GKWX5/makeuprainbowbird2.png

    Anyhoo. I'm wildly derailing this thread. I'm out of control~

    I am pretty sure gay birb stands above the forums rules (and the law) - so you are fine ✨

    And Birb With Eyeshadow as a result excuses anything anyway

  • @AnchorTea said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3075570#Comment_3075570

    Some gay people out (notably older ones) have had straight relationships before. It could take time to discover your true sexuality or perhaps society pressured them into acting straight in front of others.

    So like from a writing standpoint it may just be a retconn, but it would still make sense even if it wasnt a retconn.

    In that case the person would be bissexual, unless they didnt had sex and was just fake

    @ChurchofPig said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3075570#Comment_3075570

    His tome would contradict the idea that it was a retcon. It sounds like he did have a girlfriend but didn't actually love her. It happens. I actually know several gay guys who said before they realized they were gay they had a girlfriend. It is entirely possible for both to be true.

    If the "gay" guy gets turned on and has sex with his "girlfriend" he is bi, david king would be Bi with a tendency to like more men.

  • I now wish the charm in game had glowing eyes.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078652#Comment_3078652

    I am pretty sure gay birb stands above the forums rules (and the law) - so you are fine ✨

    And Birb With Eyeshadow as a result excuses anything anyway

    You need to see what Rizzo has posted on my wall

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078684#Comment_3078684

    Ummm....

    A gay man having sex with a woman doesn't make him bi. You can have sex with someone you aren't attracted to, you just won't enjoy it lol

    It’s like that one person in an older thread arguing they could just go out and have sex with a man even though he is happily married to a woman just to show a random person that sexuality is just a choice and all.

    weird people out there. I love it.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078684#Comment_3078684

    Ummm....

    A gay man having sex with a woman doesn't make him bi. You can have sex with someone you aren't attracted to, you just won't enjoy it lol

    Getting hard when in contact with a female body enough for you to reach orgasm dont seen gay to me (unless you are bi, of course), the same reason i would not be able to have sex with a guy for the same reason.

    You know is not, a gay guy would atleast have sex once with the opposite gender and that is it, the rest would be just appearence.

    @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078701#Comment_3078701

    It’s like that one person in an older thread arguing they could just go out and have sex with a man even though he is happily married to a woman just to show a random person that sexuality is just a choice and all.

    weird people out there. I love it.

    Sexuality is not a choice, i never said that.

  • @INoLuv said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3075580#Comment_3075580

    In that case the person would be bissexual, unless they didnt had sex and was just fake

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3076285#Comment_3076285

    If the "gay" guy gets turned on and has sex with his "girlfriend" he is bi, david king would be Bi with a tendency to like more men.

    In that case the person would be bissexual, unless they didnt had sex and was just fake

    I was in an 11 month relationship with a girl. I'm a gay man. This is flat out wrong. Please stop spreading misinformation about queer experiences while talking over queer people about their experiences, thank you.

  • Every DBD character is LGBT+ until confirmed otherwise

    image.png


  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077007#Comment_3077007

    There's never any way of doing this that doesn't 'feel lame' for some people.

    You can't say an existing character is gay because then it's a retcon, you can't introduce a brand new character and say they're gay because now it's tokenism and that's all that character exists for. There will always be something to find fault in.

    Yet heterosexual characters never have any problems like this. You can introduce an opposite-sex partner for any character and nobody bats an eye. Which just goes to show that this representation is far from being unnecessary.

    Until we can all go "hey that's neat, moving on" whenever a character is revealed to be anything other than heteronormative, then it doesn't matter how it's implemented, it needs to be implemented.

    The very fact that months after the update this is still being debated, is just all kinds of disappointing.

    I'm just quoting this for truth. Seriously, there will never be a time when it'll be ok for a character to be LGBT in a video game without people throwing hissy fits about it.

    I hate humans sometimes.

  • @INoLuv said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078701#Comment_3078701

    Getting hard when in contact with a female body enough for you to reach orgasm dont seen gay to me (unless you are bi, of course), the same reason i would not be able to have sex with a guy for the same reason.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078714#Comment_3078714

    You know is not, a gay guy would atleast have sex once with the opposite gender and that is it, the rest would be just appearence.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3078723#Comment_3078723

    Sexuality is not a choice, i never said that.

    I'm gay. I came out at 13 but ended up still having sex with a woman when I was 18 (to "try it out"). I'm still gay, even if I was able to get "excited". Bodily functions are not something that can be consciously controlled and if someone is touching a dude in certain ways, he's going to get happy, regardless of what his brain is telling him. That's also how male r-word happens.

    Sorry for the double post, yall.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077007#Comment_3077007

    There's never any way of doing this that doesn't 'feel lame' for some people.

    You can't say an existing character is gay because then it's a retcon, you can't introduce a brand new character and say they're gay because now it's tokenism and that's all that character exists for. There will always be something to find fault in.

    Yet heterosexual characters never have any problems like this. You can introduce an opposite-sex partner for any character and nobody bats an eye. Which just goes to show that this representation is far from being unnecessary.

    Until we can all go "hey that's neat, moving on" whenever a character is revealed to be anything other than heteronormative, then it doesn't matter how it's implemented, it needs to be implemented.

    The very fact that months after the update this is still being debated, is just all kinds of disappointing.

    That's not really true, there's ways to handle things like that - the reason people complain is because these characters and representation is not handled in a mature and natural way.


    Look at Tracer, poster-girl of Overwatch. I don't think anyone has valid complaints against her, or her being a lesbian because of the fact that it's not done in an obnoxious or stereotypical way. But by the same writer, Soldier was revealed as gay and this was heavily criticised because it was revealed on twitter of all things - it felt impersonal and like a token because it was never incorporated or hinted at prior.


    Which is the same case for David, a heavily masculine British guy that had no prior hints or nods towards an identity crisis or questioning of his sexuality, and the only kind of 'sexual' thing we get is the fact that he had a girlfriend.


    It's easy to sit and say people are just throwing terminology around, but be real with yourself for a second, a game where lore has been told through tomes, and diary entries, specifically in game - was David's reveal in-line with every other lore piece?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077007#Comment_3077007

    There were always implications that David had a problematic relationship with his parents without the reason being explicitly stated and other stuff in the lore that can be explained with him being gay.

    it would have been a ret-con if it was stated he was straight before. But that wasn’t the case.

    if people want to complain about ret-cons, then they should complain about Legions tome or i think Nurse tome, which actually ret-conned lore. But these people actually only have a problem with ret-conns when it’s about LGBTQ+ topics. I am not wondering why..

    Without the reason ever being stated? The implication of why his relationship has been rocky has always been very obvious and it's because David was far too aggressive growing up, and entangle himself in fights. I think David's lore is pretty straight-forward, given that I've grown up in England too. He was kid, with a lot of potential, but a lot of trouble that trailed after him.


    Not to mention that it is explicitly told in his lore that his father was abusive too. I don't pay attention to many of the killers, legion being one of those but I HAVE complained on the forums a handful of times about Nurse's lore too, not sure what your follow-up argument to that will be

  • @SmarulKusia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3077783#Comment_3077783

    Without the reason ever being stated? The implication of why his relationship has been rocky has always been very obvious and it's because David was far too aggressive growing up, and entangle himself in fights. I think David's lore is pretty straight-forward, given that I've grown up in England too. He was kid, with a lot of potential, but a lot of trouble that trailed after him.

    Not to mention that it is explicitly told in his lore that his father was abusive too. I don't pay attention to many of the killers, legion being one of those but I HAVE complained on the forums a handful of times about Nurse's lore too, not sure what your follow-up argument to that will be

    isnt it actually explained that part of his aggressiveness came from him struggling with himself and his sexuality? Haven’t actually read the newest tome. But sounds to me like they have built upon his existing lore very well and even expanded it meaningfully. The mention of a girlfriend in one word alone always felt weird and abrupt without any meaning. With the revealing of him being gay etc now it doesn’t seem that random anymore and actually can be seen as a hint!

    His father being abusive has nothing to do with anything at all. Except for the whole father/parents problems being way too much the focus in plenty of DbDs lore.


    if you actually complained/gave criticism on retconns before: good on you! I also didn’t mean to directly attack you when I quoted you, I meant it more generally as you also phrased it more generally and not as your set opinion? May have interpreted it wrong though.

  • @INoLuv said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3075580#Comment_3075580

    In that case the person would be bissexual, unless they didnt had sex and was just fake

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3076285#Comment_3076285

    If the "gay" guy gets turned on and has sex with his "girlfriend" he is bi, david king would be Bi with a tendency to like more men.

    Can you prove he was "turned on" by his girlfriend or is that just an assumption based on the fact that he had a girlfriend? Personally, I've never seen it anywhere mentioned what David did with his ex girlfriend, only that he had one.

    Edit: I went back and read his original tome story and original lore, there is no mention of him even LOVING his girlfriend, just that he had one at some point in time.

    "His ex has moved on and she doesn't want to see his face. Something about being a shithead." this is the only mention of a girlfriend and actually, it doesn't even explicitly say it's a girlfriend. It just says "ex". The word "girlfriend" never appears anywhere in his tome story or base lore.

  • Always gotta love these threads. Seeing people debate over an easily answered question.

1 2 3 ›