When will camping be unfair?
Camping is a hot-button issue for many Survivor mains, who often say it's "unfair". Well, I say it is fair, for now, but I'd like to discuss when it might become unfair.
First, let's analyze camping, from the Killer and Survivor's respective perspectives.
The Killer had to:
- Find a Survivor (won at stealth)
- Hit a Survivor
- Hit a Survivor again (won the chase)
- Pick up the Survivor
- Get hit with Decisive Strike
- Find the Survivor again (won at stealth again)
- Hit the Survivor again (won the chase again)
- Carry the Survivor to the hook while preventing flashlight rescues and bodyblocking (won at whatever you want to call this)
Now from the Survivor's perspective, the Survivor had to:
- Be found by the Killer (lost at stealth)
- Get hit by the Killer
- Get hit by the Killer again (lost the chase)
- Hit a skill check
- Be found again (lost at stealth again)
- Get hit again (lost the chase again)
Under these generic circumstances, the Killer did everything right. They found and hooked a Survivor. They succeeded every step of the way and should be rewarded for it. The Survivor's only success was hitting an easy skill check and they got their second chance for it. Camping is fair.
When would camping be unfair? Well, when the Killer did absolutely nothing right, the Survivor did absolutely nothing wrong, and yet the Survivor ends up on the hook anyway by the will of the Entity. Under this hypothetical and unfair scenario, the Survivor would be punished for doing everything right, as opposed to the current, normal scenario, where they're punished for doing everything wrong.
Comments
Guess its a weird question because I didn’t know something fixed two years ago was still an issue.
@Orion Of course, the minute I say, "I never get messaged" - I immediately get salty survivors calling me terrible and camping. I got 4k on a SWF group and they only managed 1 generator. A.) I had BBQ Chill so I would never camp, B.) If I was camping, they should have gotten at least 3 generators.
If you play Killer, you will get messages like that, eventually. It's only a matter of time.
You are literally using the fact that a once hooked survivor has failed a chase as an argument. Of course it has something to do with it. But really it doesn't matter, because if we are honest you didn't make this thread to have a discussion. You are hear to maka a statement that camping is ok by giving biased reasons.
The thing is fairness is a subjective feeling and in the core of DbD, the killer IS the power role and understood as such. Yes I know the map design is designed against the killer, but there is good reason why killer's complain when game mechanics don't make them feel like beeing that power role.
But going back to this. The core mechanic of the game is, that a survivor has two hook phases, with two possible rescues in mind. Basicly two chances. This is the core idea of the game. If a killer decides to camp, then they decide to take away that chance, by standing around you.
And that is the reason why people say it's unfair. Because it feels that way. It feels cheap and annoying for the person perceiving it. It's the equivalent of a football/soccer game, when one team after scoring their first goal, stop any offensive attemps and fall back on a simple defensive strategy. It's reliable, allowed but like I said. It makes the game boring. And why are we playing DbD again? To be frustrated or to be entertained?
And to be quite honest. The way hooks work in this game is kinda the thing that hurts killer the most. Camping and Tunneling are annyoing but very effecient strategies. And the Devs always have to keep them in mind while designing something. Not that they dislike it beeing used, but they don't want it to be the only working strategy in the game. They even said that about the sabotage changes, that they want more Sabo-squads, but don't want only sabo squads in the game. It should happen from here and there. And that's it.
And that's probably why they did something like the healing changes, from which a killer mostly benefits the game, if they spread the pain.
"Nice crutch NOED"
"Lol, it's just a game. Chill out."
This thread is about fairness. He spoke of things he finds annoying. He may not be a wordsmith (and neither am I), but I don't think "fair" and "annoying" are antonyms.
just fed up with the irrational, unreasonable, inexperienced demands for nerfs that don’t need to be made. It all just comes down to having too much pride to accept that balance is present in the game, and that someone isn’t as good as they think they are.
It gets really tiring really quickly and patience is worn thin and broken. It’s irritating how many survivor one tricks think they know what’s best for killer balance, and it’s the same with the other way around.
Being assertive is the only way to keep things in check.
I wouldn't be surprised if survivors get in-built Kindred 3 + Deliverance in the near future, with all the nerfs being afforded to "legitimate" playstyles.
::tries not to bash face into wall::
Why not put "force fields" around survivors to prevent killers from stopping unhooks?
But what about ttttuuuunnneling?
Make the survivor invincible for 30 seconds after an unhook Or better yet, make the survivor go invisible!! Yeah! Invisible! for 30 seconds!!! If the killer still manages to hit them then they get stunned for 30 seconds! That would fix tunneling AND camping! AYYYYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYyyyyyy!
[Disclaimer: this post is sarcasm and a joke. ]
DBD was not designed with 1 life in mind.
Yes, being wiped out of the game after being caught the first time feels unfair. For the same reason why it feels unfair when the survivors get 5 gens done in 3 minutes. You make one mistake and you are then unable to play the game.
It is curious as to why this needs to be discussed, or even why the standard scenario needs to have DS in mind. Is dying after being pulled off a gen by a Prayer Bead Spirit 15 seconds into the game supposed to be fair? Should killers be significantly rewarded for simply sitting next to their hook-ee?
The real question is whether camping, and the sedentary gameplay it produces, contributes anything positive to the DBD experience.
Playing survivor is the only unfair thing lol.
If camping is fair, then genrush is fair.
I'd rather have none of those ez cheese strats be the strongest tools available. Playing a close, fun game is what dbd should become. Not "Camping is legit, just rush gens next time. Facecamp is counterable" yada yada its boring
Read the thread to know why camping is fair and make your own thread if you wish to discuss something else.
Canping sucks, but it's fair because it essentially guarantees 3 escapes if the survivors arent overly altruistic and just do work.
I read your stupid arguments and its a very biased opinion. even if you do everything wrong as killer, you get bloodlust and down them. As if its hard and skillfull to down survivors nowadays.
Maybe another Bloodlust nerf will turn that frown upside down
The buff literally does the exact opposite.
I don't need to write an essay about how I'm justified. You can't win an argument on these grounds because both sides have their reasons for thinking they're in the right. Ultimately it's meaningless and up to the devs to decide how much to reward or punish certain playstyles.
By that almost anything is a crutch
The only time I camp and get a 4k is against terrible survivors (didn't Cleanse NOED totem even after gate opens, 3 people rushing hook with Myers in EWIII, etc...)
Otherwise if I hard camp it usually only gets me 1-2 k.
Sorry, but if survivors are getting 4k'd against a killer who camps from the first hook, they are really bad survivors!
I am a killer main but because of dailys i have to play survivor. I know I'm bad at playing survivor but i still think in some scenarios camping is a bit unfair. You can play normally as a survivor, don't annoy the killer and pump bc of bad luck into the killer. He got you hooked, stands right in front of you and stares you into your soul. (That's my definition of camping.) So your whole match that you have waited for like 5 minutes is gone and you have to wait another 5 minutes. It kinda takes the chance of having any sort of interesting gameplay and/or the fun in the game. You have to think of both sides, their fun and their feelings.
Holy necro.