The Frustrations Of Pipping As A Survivor...

About to throw in the towel on that one, as this is making me actively hate this game.

Literally, stuck at Silver IV for the past two days.

Here's how my morning went.

Started off with 2 pips from last night.

Game 1: Facecamping Insidious Bubba. Did 2 and a bit gens, 3 of us got out - but with no healing and no chases, I depipped.

Game 2: The same Insidious Bubba. Did 1 gen, then led him for another gen before I eventually went down and was facecamped, leading to ye olde conga line of failed saves. Depipped back to 0.

Game 3: Trickster, good game. I died at the end (should have suspected Iron Maiden) but pipped up to 1.

Game 4: Onryo, AFK from the start. Safety pipped. Still at 1.

Game 5: Blight, won. Pipped up to 2.

Game 6: Same Onryo, still AFK. Safety pipped.

Game 7: Ghostface, slugging from first down with Knockout. Got 1 gen done and a heal, but then got slugged myself and bled out. Depipped back to 1.

Game 8: Another facecamping Bubba. Got hatch after everyone died trying to unhook, but depipped back down to 0.

Argh.

Please, BHVR - make it so that you get partial credit while on hook/slugged for gens done in the meantime, otherwise you may as well just cable pull or suicide to get to the next game. It never feels good to lose pips for things entirely out of your control.

Comments

  • Yeah. That's a real mood. I usually can get to Iri 4 as survivor without trouble and then it's just tug of war for the rest of the month.

    Even with its flaws, I would have no problem with the pip system if it just got rid of depips. For killer, I understand somewhat, as your performance mainly reflects on you, but as survivor, there's so many things that can cause you to get booted from the game early, and they're beyond your reasonable control. Teammate DCs at the start? Depip. Facecamped to death? Depip. Tunneled for the entirety of the match? Depip. Basement Bubba? Depip. Tombstone Myers? Depip. 'AFK' Wraith or Nurse with NOED and Blood Warden? Depip. Killer gets no hooks all game and then camps someone with NOED at the end? Depip. Farmed by an idiot teammate? Depip. Get left on a hook for 100 seconds while teammates hammer out 3 gens and the game is nearly done when you get off? Depip. It's absurd that your ability to pip is so much in the hands of the other players, to the point where it's impossible to pip up if the killer doesn't perform well enough in the match.

    There's no reason for depips to exist anymore when the rank system only exists to show how much you've played this month. Sure, make it so that you have to perform moderately well in order to pip up. That's fine. And keeping the DC depip is only common sense. But bad match depips have no purpose now that rank isn't meant to show your skill in any form, nor is it used for matchmaking. They're overly punitive and solo queue survivors are left largely at their mercy.

  • @Laluzi said:

    Yeah. That's a real mood. I usually can get to Iri 4 as survivor without trouble and then it's just tug of war for the rest of the month.

    Even with its flaws, I would have no problem with the pip system if it just got rid of depips. For killer, I understand somewhat, as your performance mainly reflects on you, but as survivor, there's so many things that can cause you to get booted from the game early, and they're beyond your reasonable control. Teammate DCs at the start? Depip. Facecamped to death? Depip. Tunneled for the entirety of the match? Depip. Basement Bubba? Depip. 'AFK' Wraith or Nurse with NOED and Blood Warden? Depip. Killer gets no hooks all game and then camps someone with NOED at the end? Depip. Get left on a hook for 100 seconds while teammates hammer out 3 gens and the game is nearly done when you get off? Depip. It's absurd that your ability to pip is so much in the hands of the other players, to the point where it's impossible to pip up if the killer doesn't perform well enough in the match.

    There's no reason for depips to exist anymore when the rank system only exists to show how much you've played this month. Sure, make it so that you have to perform moderately well in order to pip up. That's fine. And keeping the DC depip is only common sense. But bad match depips have no purpose now that rank isn't meant to show your skill in any form, nor is it used for matchmaking.

    Killer isn't too bad. Yeah, the Iris can get a bit tedious, as they basically require 3 kills unless you rock the Casbah, and can be very annoying on certain killers that either aren't given proper credit for hits while using their power (Artist) or rely on instadowns. But before the Iris, you can easily safety pip even if you only get one kill.

    As survivor...bloody hell. Even Silver can be a slog, as so much of it is determined by stuff you cannot control.

  • They need to rework the medal system for so many reasons. It is SO bad and I wonder why people preferred matchmaking based on those arbitrary values over actual mmr. I mean, I know the actual answer. But still, I am surprised they hate getting crushed that much that they want killer and survivor cooperation to be how people are matched. Lol.


    Des-per-a-tion!

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    They need to rework the medal system for so many reasons. It is SO bad and I wonder why people preferred matchmaking based on those arbitrary values over actual mmr. I mean, I know the actual answer. But still, I am surprised they hate getting crushed that much that they want killer and survivor cooperation to be how people are matched. Lol.

    Des-per-a-tion!

    Two of the big culprits are Evader and Lightbringer.

    Evader requires you to get into a lot of chases and play quite risky, but Lightbringer requires you to do around 2-3 gens. You are supposed to get credit for gens done while you are being chased, but in reality you barely get any credit, meaning that unless you are playing in a SWF or get a golden game, it's tricky to do more than safety pip even if you get out - particularly if you're playing against an instadown killer.

    You're also heavily penalized for games where the killer gives up, is AFK from the start or camps/slugs, even if you didn't make any serious mistakes and played decently.

  • Kinda hoping they remove depips one day

  • Once iri ranks start I find myself really puzzled when looking at the emblems. - Sometimes I wonder how that was supposed to be only silver - and sometimes I'm equally amazed at an iri emblem. It just defies any logic.

    That aside: It is so true. Every iri-grade is usually a game of "four steps forward - three steps back" - and two of those three are usually not because of something within your control. Last month I was stuck on Gold IV via solo-q for... oof, a good 15, maybe even 20 survivor hours? Two evenings of swf (...10-ish hours - but including spectating time, waiting on people and a couple breaks) and I somehow made it to Iri II, almost I (that took a seperate half-evening a couple days later. While I had 4/5 soloQ brought me back to 0/5. So. Yeah. Not a fan.)

    And yes, I 100% agree: de-pipping should just not be a thing if Grades are all about time investment and BP at the end of the game-month are a reward for said time investment. Heck, if it is either "keep things as is, with de-pips and all" or "no more de-pips - but the bar for pips is raised" - I'd immediately take the latter. Yes, +2 pips would probs be super rare (then again: anyone ever seen a +2 in a non-farming match past Silver Grade?). - But I rather have a slow but steady flow than being at the mercy of MMR rng and de-pips.

  • I got the Iri I Survivor two weeks ago, after two whole months of only playing Survivor SoloQ tryhard (Spoiler : I didn't have fun).

    It was surely one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a video game. Without lying, I had less difficulty to finish Sekiro.

    I sincerely wish you enormous courage.

  • Hey man I understand your pain. If I may suggest borrowed time, we're gonna live forever, prove thyself and lithe are great perks to help you pip. Lithe will get you that extra time in chase much more than sprint burst, were gonna live forever helps with points and slugs borrowed time for more altruism points and prove thyself for objective. Also I'd hide until you know someone else has been found and is being chased before starting on a gen. Best of luck!

  • Just remove depipping already!

  • One of the biggest BS things is how an afk killer can result in a depip in gold or red ranks but if the killer dc's early on in a match where you barely did anything, you're safe from the depip as a survivor. Pisses me off getting punished for something that's not your fault, which this game loves to do. Same for when your game crashes or network dies mid match. Why can't the game give an error code that could be redeemed much like BP or charm codes in the shop for lost pips, items and ban reversals? 99.9% of my dc's are due to crashes caused by Unreal Engine and an error reporter pops up every time that happens. That reporter could easily give out tickets that could be redeemed in the manner I described above. I know it sucks for the others in a match who have to make the best of things, but players suffering from issues not caused by them should not be punished when those issues are already enough frustration. By that logic, players who kill themselves early for being caught early in the match should get the same punishment.

  • unfortunately silver is really childs play, im at iridescent 3 atm, reaching towards 2, and you will find that the ranking system for survivors becomes even more bs.

    get into a match against trickster, evade him around gen, finish a generator, unhook a team mate, win a chase, escape the match. depip. i really dont even understand how you can escape and depip, that is the most confusing thing i have ever seen in my life.

    but yeah, iridescent is a thousand times worse to pip up in. so if you think its bad now... i got terrible news for you...

  • @ACleverName4Me said:

    Hey man I understand your pain. If I may suggest borrowed time, we're gonna live forever, prove thyself and lithe are great perks to help you pip. Lithe will get you that extra time in chase much more than sprint burst, were gonna live forever helps with points and slugs borrowed time for more altruism points and prove thyself for objective. Also I'd hide until you know someone else has been found and is being chased before starting on a gen. Best of luck!

    Yup.

    This isn't far from my build.

    I generally go Lithe, Kindred/WGLF, Empathy and BT.

    The problem with PTS is that there are a lot of Legions right now, and they all run Discordance.

    I tend to do okay in altruism. Where I struggle is that either Lightborn gets maxed while Evader sucks, or vice versa - because if I'm doing gens I'm not being chased, and if I'm being chased/hooked/slugged, I'm not doing gens and you don't really get much credit.

    The other big issue is how you can be completely denied a pip by things outside of your control? AFK killer, likely smurfing down their MMR? No pip, depip at higher grades. Get camped? Depip. Get slugged out? Depip. Get walled in and forced to DC? Depip.

  • @soulfire22 said:

    unfortunately silver is really childs play, im at iridescent 3 atm, reaching towards 2, and you will find that the ranking system for survivors becomes even more bs.

    get into a match against trickster, evade him around gen, finish a generator, unhook a team mate, win a chase, escape the match. depip. i really dont even understand how you can escape and depip, that is the most confusing thing i have ever seen in my life.

    but yeah, iridescent is a thousand times worse to pip up in. so if you think its bad now... i got terrible news for you...

    Gold & Red/Iri seem to be the exact same regarding where the safety pip bar is and the effort needed to pip and how easy it is to depip. I literally see no difference between them and the effort I had to put in to reach Gold 1 vs the same to reach Red 1. They both suck with how easy it is to lose progress due to some lazy no-skill jackass killer or any other reason killers would have to finish a match fast & tunneling out a player. Even if they're not a bad killer but are working on a challenge that requires them to play scummy, that's all it takes.

    I've had game crashes that resulted me in double de-pips which really pissed me the ######### off.

  • Afk killers should get banned when they do it for multiple matches that ######### is so annoying, I get they want easier games but that doesn't excuse it

  • @The_Krapper said:

    Afk killers should get banned when they do it for multiple matches that ######### is so annoying, I get they want easier games but that doesn't excuse it

    Unfortunately, deranking has never been bannable unless it's automated (and even then, I can't find a single anecdotate of anyone actually getting banned for it). I remember a Fog Whisperer doing it back under RBMM, openly and the devs being completely schtum on it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2964426#Comment_2964426

    Two of the big culprits are Evader and Lightbringer.

    Evader requires you to get into a lot of chases and play quite risky, but Lightbringer requires you to do around 2-3 gens. You are supposed to get credit for gens done while you are being chased, but in reality you barely get any credit, meaning that unless you are playing in a SWF or get a golden game, it's tricky to do more than safety pip even if you get out - particularly if you're playing against an instadown killer.

    You're also heavily penalized for games where the killer gives up, is AFK from the start or camps/slugs, even if you didn't make any serious mistakes and played decently.

    One thing I find with Lightbringer is that doing bones counts for a lot, especially if you didn't get much opportunity to do gens that match. I mean, it's not going to help you if you didn't have a chance to do gens on account of being tunneled to death, but running around and doing some last-minute bones once the gates are powered or once the match has clearly been lost can shore up the points enough to tip the scales.

    For Evader - yeah. And some killers like Huntress or especially Twins are awful in this regard because many of the chases aren't going to register as a chase. Though there's a tip against AFK killers; you get huge Evader points for just existing close to the killer. No score events will fire, and your bloodpoints will suck, but you can guarantee an iridescent emblem in that area for just chilling next to them for a minute and hopefully prevent a depip.

    The emblem I have the biggest beef with is actually Benevolent, because it's the only emblem the killer can straight-up deny you. Nobody gets injured? No benevolent. Nobody can be safely unhooked? No benevolent. In fact, facecampers cause the default bronze benevolent emblem to decay to no benevolent emblem because emblems are lost for both unsafe hook rescues and survivors who are left to progress a hook stage. Even putting basement Bubbas aside, you're doomed to a safety pip if the killer doesn't get more than a couple hooks in - which sucks, because in a normal game, that means your team played incredibly well. (Killer role has the same problem - if they win too hard, their emblems suffer. It's not well designed as a measure of performance.)

    @AykDanroyd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2964537#Comment_2964537

    Gold & Red/Iri seem to be the exact same regarding where the safety pip bar is and the effort needed to pip and how easy it is to depip. I literally see no difference between them and the effort I had to put in to reach Gold 1 vs the same to reach Red 1. They both suck with how easy it is to lose progress due to some lazy no-skill jackass killer or any other reason killers would have to finish a match fast & tunneling out a player. Even if they're not a bad killer but are working on a challenge that requires them to play scummy, that's all it takes.

    I've had game crashes that resulted me in double de-pips which really pissed me the ######### off.

    IIRC, the difference between gold and iridescent is that the threshold for pipping up increases in iri. So while depipping stays the same, some games that would see you pip up in gold rank are only a safety pip in iri rank. Having your good games not count while your bad games drag you back is pretty rough.

  • Just got around to hitting silver this morning before a break. Maybe I'll see you around in Solo Q Hell, Star.

  • Ok so I played all day. Was Iri 3 1 pip when I stated playing about 7 hours ago. I missed 1 pip to iri 2 for like 5 matches and then I depipped cause I got matched with a tryhard Nurse who slugged at 5 gens - F U N. I don't think there is ANY other game where you can waste the time you would spend on WORK without gaining ANYTHING out of it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2964500#Comment_2964500

    Yup.

    This isn't far from my build.

    I generally go Lithe, Kindred/WGLF, Empathy and BT.

    The problem with PTS is that there are a lot of Legions right now, and they all run Discordance.

    I tend to do okay in altruism. Where I struggle is that either Lightborn gets maxed while Evader sucks, or vice versa - because if I'm doing gens I'm not being chased, and if I'm being chased/hooked/slugged, I'm not doing gens and you don't really get much credit.

    The other big issue is how you can be completely denied a pip by things outside of your control? AFK killer, likely smurfing down their MMR? No pip, depip at higher grades. Get camped? Depip. Get slugged out? Depip. Get walled in and forced to DC? Depip.

    I would run soul guard unbreakable for the slugs which helps a ton with noed. For one AFK killers try and work on gens but only 99 them to get as much points. Bones help with boldness. Some AFK killers will constantly swing which will allow you and your teammates to constantly heal. If they are not swinging standing in their terror radius will help slowly gain points or better yet running around them. If a killer is camping I can only hope you did good chases. Maybe run Steve's perk that allows extra time when a killer is to close to a hook. Some games are gonna just be bad but if your MMR constantly drop you'll get matched with different killers or easier ones to help regain those pips.

  • Do you have crossplay turned off or something?