We may be on the cusp of another DBD golden age.

With Elden Ring and many other games threatening to take a lot of DBD's player base, I'm actually starting to feel optimistic about the future of the game, and here's why:

Anyone else remember in early 2019 when Apex Legends, for a brief period, took over Fortnite. If you were in the Fortnite community at the time then you would know just how GREAT the game was. Somehow all these things that Epic said was "too hard" started magically happening. The community started rallying behind the game too, which is incredible considering how toxic the Fortnite community was at the time. For a brief moment, the devs took the feedback of the players very seriously, which was actually a good thing since the only people left were the hardcore fans. All in all, this was incidentally one of the best things that could have happened to the game, and is crucial in why the game is still sticking around half a decade later.

Now DBD is not even remotely as threatened as Fortnite was, but with a reduction in players comes a reduction of profit, and therefore is going to motivate the devs to get their act together. This is why I'm actually excited, as much as people joke about the devs being clueless, they definitely are not dumb, they know what we want and all it takes is one phone call from investors for things to suddenly start happening. The game will never roll over and die, and I'm certain the devs are far more receptive to feedback than we think.

Comments

  • It'll be interesting to see what killers they can get since there's not that many big name classic horror icons left that fit the typical slasher genre.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828045#Comment_2828045

    But you do not believe in the existence of a golden age, so it doesn't count.

    What I am saying is that, for those who note the differences between their experiences throughout their years of playing DBD, their golden days are usually not related to the current mess of a game that we now have.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828044#Comment_2828044

    Well...to each their own.

    Though I can safely, and without a shadow of doubt, assure you that such idea of mine of getting an improved version of the already perfect golden days would work.

    True I don't believe. I think it is just nostalgia. Game was always unpolished and unbalanced imo.

    Also I don't see how the game is bigger mess now compared to before.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827993#Comment_2827993

    It's not clear to me. They have to release content every 1.5 months, for 9 different platforms. For a game that started out with naughty bear developers that seems insane to me.

    I just think making assumptions like this is harmful. Because if i picture myself trying my best on this game only for the community to say that the dev team is lazy i would just get angry and start ignoring them.

    There’s nothing wrong with criticising a dev team, especially when they consistently miss the mark in a number of areas and deprive the game of relatively basic features, it would be remiss not to criticise them.

    This game doesn’t even have loadouts after almost 6 years despite 197 perks. Loudouts.. Console doesn’t even have controller settings. The game doesn’t even run properly on last gen and people have been waiting over 3 years for a solution; entire games with more complexity than DBD get made by dev teams with fewer staff and resources in that timeframe. And these issues are the least of it.

    You can like DBD and you can like the dev team, but many people think they do the bare minimum and I agree, and if the devs take any of that personally to the extent that it affects how they view feedback, it sort of reinforces the point. Though I’m sure they don’t think like that as this is a business and it’s nothing personal.

  • Ah nostalgia:

    Old DS, even older DS, old Object of Obsession, old Ruin, old Undyling, old Balanced Landing, old keys, old Moris, old Windows of Opportunity, Trapper having one trap, Old Legion, games versus Hillbilly lasting less than two minutes, Forever Freddy, old Spirit, fewer killers.

    They were the days.

  • @hailxsatanxeveryxday said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828099#Comment_2828099

    My main survivor build is a stealth build, and I do just fine. Urban Evasion, Iron Will, Distortion, Spine Chill. I can't loop for #########, but I survive 80% of my games when I run that build. As a killer main, I would hate to see more survivors running those sorts of combos... I spend more time crouching around gens/walls/whatever than I do looping.

    I don't know what the game was like before I started playing a year and a half ago, but stealth is still a viable strategy.

    Yeah, from what I understand, "genrushing" doesn't have the same meaning that it had before toolboxes were nerfed. Moris are only useful for dailies and as counter to flashlights.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827988#Comment_2827988

    A lot of these are good points. It's not a forgiving game for new players. You're either going to die a lot or 0k a lot. It took months of regular play before I even felt comfortable.

    The grind is bad, but there is a halfway good reason for it, and that's cheaters. It's a good thing that people who get permabanned for using hacks can't just buy another account and immediately be back to where they were, which frustrates cheating more than any number of technical measures that the devs do (or don't) put in place. That's the reason you can't buy bloodpoints, and it's a strong argument for leaving the grind where it is.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827994#Comment_2827994

    That is true.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827998#Comment_2827998

    I don't know if Dead Dawg is killer-sided, but I don't know if it's survivor-sided, either. It seems like a pretty balanced map.

    Midwich and Lery's are killer-sided, and I would argue that Gideon's is still somewhat killer-sided even after the changes, on the basis of the fact that I win most of my games on that map as killer and lose most of them as survivor.

    >The grind is bad, but there is a halfway good reason for it, and that's cheaters. It's a good thing that people who get permabanned for using hacks can't just buy another account and immediately be back to where they were

    I just want to point out that that's not the case. Cheaters can buy a fresh account, and using their cheats unlock every perk, item, add-on, cosmetic, etc. on a fresh account. This is most certainly not the reason to not have a catch-up mechanic in place. Cheaters have the advantage, because they don't need to grind in order to have access to everything.

  • It didn't seem to matter much for Deathgarden : deaf to the end.

  • @JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

    Ah nostalgia:

    Old DS, even older DS, old Object of Obsession, old Ruin, old Undyling, old Balanced Landing, old keys, old Moris, old Windows of Opportunity, Trapper having one trap, Old Legion, games versus Hillbilly lasting less than two minutes, Forever Freddy, old Spirit, fewer killers.

    They were the days.

    Forever Freddy... that's something I haven't heard in a while. That is a scary thought... instantly reminds me of end game Freddy's with NOED + Remember Me. You can only imagine that with No Way Out. Freddy could always see your aura almost no matter what (if everyone was in the dream state). Oh and they used to slug in that scenario and go from one survivor to the next... ugh. Not a nice thought.

    Oh and Freddy with old Dying Light and old mori... I need to stop thinking about it now.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828281#Comment_2828281

    Forever Freddy... that's something I haven't heard in a while. That is a scary thought... instantly reminds me of end game Freddy's with NOED + Remember Me. You can only imagine that with No Way Out. Freddy could always see your aura almost no matter what (if everyone was in the dream state). Oh and they used to slug in that scenario and go from one survivor to the next... ugh. Not a nice thought.

    Oh and Freddy with old Dying Light and old mori... I need to stop thinking about it now.

    I can make that build even slower 👀

  • Yall know elden ring is a thing for like a month, right?

  • If a golden age were to occur, I won't complain. However, I don't expect it to ever happen.

  • with the amount of technical issues that are still present in the game + the amount of awful players that make the experience pretty annoying, i dont think so, we might get some good days when dlcs come out cause they spice things up for a bit but then itll come back to the usual

  • Golden age is long gone. Now the situation is "meh".

  • @JonahsTablet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827971#Comment_2827971

    It's very clear that the devs aren't truly giving the game their all, if this were the case then they would've hired more people and allocated more resources to making sure content actually works properly.

    Hired more people?? They have I think about 850 employees, they need to pull their trousers up and get to work

  • @hailxsatanxeveryxday said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828099#Comment_2828099

    My main survivor build is a stealth build, and I do just fine. Urban Evasion, Iron Will, Distortion, Spine Chill. I can't loop for #########, but I survive 80% of my games when I run that build. As a killer main, I would hate to see more survivors running those sorts of combos... I spend more time crouching around gens/walls/whatever than I do looping.

    I don't know what the game was like before I started playing a year and a half ago, but stealth is still a viable strategy.

    Yeah, from what I understand, "genrushing" doesn't have the same meaning that it had before toolboxes were nerfed. Moris are only useful for dailies and as counter to flashlights.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827988#Comment_2827988

    A lot of these are good points. It's not a forgiving game for new players. You're either going to die a lot or 0k a lot. It took months of regular play before I even felt comfortable.

    The grind is bad, but there is a halfway good reason for it, and that's cheaters. It's a good thing that people who get permabanned for using hacks can't just buy another account and immediately be back to where they were, which frustrates cheating more than any number of technical measures that the devs do (or don't) put in place. That's the reason you can't buy bloodpoints, and it's a strong argument for leaving the grind where it is.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827994#Comment_2827994

    That is true.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827998#Comment_2827998

    I don't know if Dead Dawg is killer-sided, but I don't know if it's survivor-sided, either. It seems like a pretty balanced map.

    Midwich and Lery's are killer-sided, and I would argue that Gideon's is still somewhat killer-sided even after the changes, on the basis of the fact that I win most of my games on that map as killer and lose most of them as survivor.

    Midwich is the best shift w map in game newer survivors just can't find gens and die alot. Lerrys shuts down half the killers powers due to all the windows and tight corners. DD is a good killer map because it's small and doesn't have a crazy number of safe loops but has a decent main building.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2828133#Comment_2828133

    Midwich is the best shift w map in game newer survivors just can't find gens and die alot. Lerrys shuts down half the killers powers due to all the windows and tight corners. DD is a good killer map because it's small and doesn't have a crazy number of safe loops but has a decent main building.

    Well, yeah, I'd imagine that Lery's is annoying if you're playing a lot of Blight, Billy, or Nurse, but I mostly play basic M1 killers, so it's one of my favorite maps.

    Had a Lery's game today using infinite T3 Michael and had a blast despite the larger terror radius and not even using M&R. Their problem wasn't that they couldn't find gens, it's that I wouldn't let them stay on them, and they took too long to decide to cleanse Ruin and Undying.

    My memory might be flawed in this regard, but I feel like win most games on DD as both killer and survivor, so I don't know what side to take on that. But the fact that I'm always happy to see it no matter which side I'm playing as makes me feel like it's probably more or less balanced.

  • @hailxsatanxeveryxday said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829026#Comment_2829026

    Well, yeah, I'd imagine that Lery's is annoying if you're playing a lot of Blight, Billy, or Nurse, but I mostly play basic M1 killers, so it's one of my favorite maps.

    Had a Lery's game today using infinite T3 Michael and had a blast despite the larger terror radius and not even using M&R. Their problem wasn't that they couldn't find gens, it's that I wouldn't let them stay on them, and they took too long to decide to cleanse Ruin and Undying.

    My memory might be flawed in this regard, but I feel like win most games on DD as both killer and survivor, so I don't know what side to take on that. But the fact that I'm always happy to see it no matter which side I'm playing as makes me feel like it's probably more or less balanced.

    Huntress,slinger and Oni all have issues as well.

  • I just don't think it's a matter of motivation. Looking at BHVR's history of games makes me think DBD was just a fluke. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviour_Interactive

    Looking at the recent non-mobile games, we have Deathgarden (which was shut down after only a year) and Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade (also shut down). The vast majority of their games are licensed tie-ins and I think licenses are basically keeping DBD on life support right now. BHVR also clearly feels much more at home on mobile than on PC. This is pretty well evidenced by the fact that the DBD mobile game is already more full-featured than the PC version.

  • @BuddhaBing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2827962#Comment_2827962

    I just don't think it's a matter of motivation. Looking at BHVR's history of games makes me think DBD was just a fluke. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviour_Interactive

    Looking at the recent non-mobile games, we have Deathgarden (which was shut down after only a year) and Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade (also shut down). The vast majority of their games are licensed tie-ins and I think licenses are basically keeping DBD on life support right now. BHVR also clearly feels much more at home on mobile than on PC. This is pretty well evidenced by the fact that the DBD mobile game is already more full-featured than the PC version.

    As someone who plays on both PC and mobile regularly, could you explain how you see mobile as being more full-featured? It's missing a decent chunk of the killer roster, Coldwind's been disabled for something like six or more months (think it's coming back with the next patch), many more maps aren't available. The only chat feature is pre-selected responses such as "GG". The only thing I can think that it has over the base game is showing all survivor's each other's loadouts.

  • Can someone please tell me when this golden age was? I haven't seen anyone actually give a time frame just you know before certain changes.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    Can someone please tell me when this golden age was? I haven't seen anyone actually give a time frame just you know before certain changes.

    It changes depending on who you ask.

    The answer is always in the past, but it is difficult to give a specific time frame.

    EDIT:

    If you want my answer, DBD's golden age lasted from July of 2017 to November of 2018.

    But don't take it as the universal truth. This is just my opinion.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829330#Comment_2829330

    It changes depending on who you ask.

    The answer is always in the past, but it is difficult to give a specific time frame.

    That doesn't make any sense? A golden age is generally accepted by the majority as the best time in x. It seems more like when is your opinion when dbd was the best.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829333#Comment_2829333

    That doesn't make any sense? A golden age is generally accepted by the majority as the best time in x. It seems more like when is your opinion when dbd was the best.

    It is because DBD had many changes in short periods of time, and all of those changes affected each player differently.

    While everyone agrees that it happened in the past, people always have those small details that made the game more or less fun for them, and that impacts the answers.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829346#Comment_2829346

    It is because DBD had many changes in short periods of time, and all of those changes affected each player differently.

    While everyone agrees that it happened in the past, people always have those small details that made the game more or less fun for them, and that impacts the answers.

    So in truth dbd has never had a real golden age.

  • There has been a golden age, but in truth it is difficult to determine a detailed time frame.

    The best possible answer would be:

    2017 - 2019

    It is generic and way too big, but at least it suits everyone.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829272#Comment_2829272

    As someone who plays on both PC and mobile regularly, could you explain how you see mobile as being more full-featured? It's missing a decent chunk of the killer roster, Coldwind's been disabled for something like six or more months (think it's coming back with the next patch), many more maps aren't available. The only chat feature is pre-selected responses such as "GG". The only thing I can think that it has over the base game is showing all survivor's each other's loadouts.

    Mostly the fact that you can play with bots, something that's sorely lacking the the PC version. I haven't played the mobile version too much, but it was fantastic to be able to try out a killer with bots. I'd take bots over any of the missing feature you mentioned any day.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829361#Comment_2829361

    There has been a golden age, but in truth it is difficult to determine a detailed time frame.

    The best possible answer would be:

    2017 - 2019

    It is generic and way too big, but at least it suits everyone.

    I played mid 2018 right after Legion release and it wasn't to fun for the killer. Og Ds,true insta heals,BnP, actual infinites been a killer was terrible then but what I've heard is a little after I left the made huge improvements.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829368#Comment_2829368

    I played mid 2018 right after Legion release and it wasn't to fun for the killer. Og Ds,true insta heals,BnP, actual infinites been a killer was terrible then but what I've heard is a little after I left the made huge improvements.

    A little after you left.

    2019.

    It fits.

  • I'll buy that I've heard alot of good things around that time. It's to bad I took my break right before but I had to it just wasn't fun for me at that time.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829382#Comment_2829382

    I'll buy that I've heard alot of good things around that time. It's to bad I took my break right before but I had to it just wasn't fun for me at that time.

    I am glad you see my point.

    2017 - 2019 is the general time frame, then.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829386#Comment_2829386

    I am glad you see my point.

    2017 - 2019 is the general time frame, then.

    Of course I'm not like alot of people on these forums who have and opinion on something and no matter what thats my opinion and your not changing it. I've actually had opinions I thought were right and a few people threw some fact at me and changed my veiw on it. I've also noticed alot of people like to say stuff but give no real argument or proof and act like it's 100% fact.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829387#Comment_2829387

    Of course I'm not like alot of people on these forums who have and opinion on something and no matter what thats my opinion and your not changing it. I've actually had opinions I thought were right and a few people threw some fact at me and changed my veiw on it. I've also noticed alot of people like to say stuff but give no real argument or proof and act like it's 100% fact.

    Interesting.

    Don't see this type of mentality that much around here.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829404#Comment_2829404

    Interesting.

    Don't see this type of mentality that much around here.

    Probably because I'm an older gamer.

    Been playing since NES. My first console was a SNES.

  • I'm not so convinced that the color of the age some people are describing is "golden" so much as "rose-tinted."

  • @BuddhaBing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2829318#Comment_2829318

    Mostly the fact that you can play with bots, something that's sorely lacking the the PC version. I haven't played the mobile version too much, but it was fantastic to be able to try out a killer with bots. I'd take bots over any of the missing feature you mentioned any day.

    The bots are very annoying, on both sides. I won't go into that detail on the forums again unless you need me to. I don't mind them for tutorial mode, but I would rather they not exist at all in the ranked matches.

  • The only way dbd gets back to its golden days would be to introduce a large bundle of maps and a different game mode.

    Having said that, community engagement was huge between the Kpop to Pinhead teasers. The game certainly isn't close to dead or dying yet. There's still potential here but it needs to do what pokemon did with Arceus and throw out the rule book and try something different, not necessarily now, but we cant keep rehashing perks and killers every 4 months for the next 5 years surely .....

  • the golden age was never and most likely never will be thing, there's just too many things holding the game back and a lot of it is out of the dev's team control.

1 2 ›