Artist is probably the best designed killer we have to date.

Obvious hot take incoming.

She perfectly incapsulates the 3 things that make a killer well designed from an objective standpoint:

  • Overall viability
  • Killer fairness
  • Survivor fairness

She's good, like actually really good. Possibly top 5, taking twin's position ever since they got nerfed to hell with CoH and Exponential.

On the killers end you know why you messed up and how you could improve. There are both efficient and inefficient ways to play her making you feel as though you're learning a complex killer. Plus her skill cap is borderline endless with snipes and map control.

She has both 1v4 and 1v1, what's the issue?

On the survivors end it's also clear what is happening, you are given 3 visual notifications when she's placing a crow, and 2 audio notifications. You are also shown what you could do better to avoid going down next time. She is punished when you do an outplay or when she messes up, and the same goes for you.

The only issues I have with this killer are the tongue add on, and her base repel time being too short. Other than that I have literally zero issues with her. other than the lack of "art" of her


Cant wait for her to get nerfed in 2 days cos no fun strong killers allowed only range nurse and ring blight.

Comments

  • Wouldn’t say best designed but she’s definitely fair. I just find her a bit boring to play around loops with

  • I'd disagree. Her 1v4 is barely even there and the majority of her power exists in the 1v1. Her biggest counter is stealth. If you're found by her, chances are you're essentially dead to a good artist. She places a crow at a loop and you either stay (get hit) or leave (she catches up because 115 killer, and you get hit). It makes for an uninteractive chase on one side, which leads to stealth plays, which leads to an uninteractive game on both sides, and unlike old Slinger (where stealth was also his biggest counter), who could get around this by using M&A and having a naturally quiet terror radius, Artist doesn't have this liberty so survivors will know she's coming and will hide.

    If you want an example of the best designed killer, to date, at base kit, then look no further than Blight. Some add-ons (ie. 2 add-ons) are too strong, but the rest are fair. His base kit is fair. Exploits break him, as expected since they're exploits. He has solid 1v1 and 1v4 but doesn't feel oppressive in any of them (whereas Artist feels very oppressive in the 1v1 and her 1v4 feels like Legion's strength- non-existant).

    Blight is better designed than Artist ever will be, imho.

  • She is fair but not the best desing I think. Base kit Blight is probably the best in terms of fair & strong.

  • I think I agree with some replies above that Blight is probably the best killer to date in terms of combination of balance and how fun they are to play and play against. There’s very few complaints about Blight relatively speaking from either killers or survivors in terms of his base abilities, other than maybe how popular he is (“I see him all the time, I wish I saw other killers”) or how he slides off some terrain on certain maps sometimes.

    Artist is a solid killer, I don’t think she’s that unpopular, but I do see complaints about games with her being “boring” because survivors want to be able to play loops against her but have a really hard time doing it. She’s not more powerful than Blight overall, in fact she’s probably a bit weaker, but she’s not as popular among both survivors and killers in terms of fun factor is the impression I get. She’s fun enough, but not the most fun.


    So probably one of the better designed killers overall, but Blight is still maybe the best.

  • Best design? HOW? Its just the survivor predrops the palett, you put crows into the loop and the survivors has to run to the next loop. Rinse and repeat. And then killer complain about survivors predropping pallets and holding W. The gameplay against her is the most boring ever.

  • Artist is extremely unfair. She's basically just Hag.

  • She is one of the worst actually. She is god at 1 v 1 and meh at 4 v 1. And you need to hold Shift + W against her and this gameplay is boring for both sides. I love to play as her but playing against her just so boring.


    @GoodBoyKaru already mentioned, Blight is best design. Oni, Demo, Plague are other good designs. Artist is not even close.

  • This might sound controversial but I think there’s a killer that gets ######### on but I think is the most balanced. Pinhead! I think he’s the most fun and balanced killer we got. I will admit he’s not perfect he should get some buffs. But let’s look at him his 4v1 is god tier the chain hunts are strong as #########, but you don’t always get it cause of the box you need to memorize where it is so you can get it every time. While in 1v1 it’s ok when it’s strong it’s strong but when it’s not it’s weak. Pinhead is strange he has great 4v1 but no so good 1v1 I think pinhead would be perfect if he got some more changes.

  • Hard disagree on her 1v1 from the survivor end. You're given a clear indication as to how you were taking a crow or an M1 either way. Not necessarily what you could have done better. If I place a crow correctly there's literally nothing a survivor can do. They're walking into the crow path or I'm zoning them for free into an M1. There's no interaction happening.

  • People really underestimate Artists 4v1 a ton. She can scout gens and can get a damage state on a survivor while chasing another survivor. I know it doesn’t always happen but the fact you can do it should be enough to take her 4v1 more seriously.

  • Best designed character.

  • I was gonna make a post about this, but now that I'm here I might as well get it out:

    How can you even say that?

    Honestly, what do people see in Artist? She's another weak, anti-loop noob crusher. Her crows damaging people is completely on the survivors. When she shoots through windows and pallets, just wiggle and you'll dodge it, or run away from the loop. When she tries hitting you through walls, the only way she'll be able to reliably track you is if you move super predictable. Her cross-map damaging is also completely worked out at this point; nobody is gonna fall prey to that.

    Her crows go away too quick at some times, and too slow at others. She has to hit you twice consecutively with her power to get you injured, and if not then the chase resets. She's like Hag with extra steps. She has so little pressure at any given time, and zero lethality. She takes a 5-gen chase to down someone normally.

    I don't know how people can say she's OP or even high tier. She's just garbage, like Pinhead level garbage. She's unimpressive even with her best add-ons equiped. She's nowhere near being able to compete at top level. How am I the only one who sees this?

  • It feels underwhelming to play as and against her because you just….leave the loop.

    She isn’t able to use her power because survivors leave the loop (which is the smart thing to do) and she feels like she isn’t using her power and her downs come from basic M1 attacks.

    Survivors also do not feel good about just leaving the loop and have no kind of cool interactions with the killer.

    I personally believe Oni and Plague are the most well designed killers.

  • @GannTM said:

    People really underestimate Artists 4v1 a ton. She can scout gens and can get a damage state on a survivor while chasing another survivor. I know it doesn’t always happen but the fact you can do it should be enough to take her 4v1 more seriously.

    Been able to scout gens is just barley 4v1 and the fact the getting a across map shot is probably lower then a 1% chance is more of a trick or style move. Huntress can potentially hit you all the way across the map does that mean she has amazing 4v1?

  • Blight now and forever will be the only correct answer on this topic. Artist even being mentioned in the same breath is laughable, its not even close.

    What unique or exceptional design features do you see that are worthy of being called the best? As far as most people are concerned, its a character with good lore, good aesthetics and a cool concept. Everything else about her playstyle and counterplay is recycled from the last 4 killers released. There's no unique reads being made, its pretty binary.

    She places birds

    Survivor runs away through a dead zone or nearby tile

    She doesn't land a bird and has to catch up with 115% movement speed for an M1 or

    She lands 1 bird but unless she has the addon she most likely won't land another one (Only if the survivor makes a big mistake), most likely they'll just repel in a matter of seconds

    Survivor pre-drops the next safe pallet they come across for distance and plays the same way they do to all similar killers on the roster

    Cycle continues with stealth, holding shift w, but eventually getting hit either way even if you're a skilled player unless killer decides not to commit

    Oppressive 1v1 Killer that still struggles to consistently handle 4 good players at once


  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    I'd disagree. Her 1v4 is barely even there and the majority of her power exists in the 1v1. Her biggest counter is stealth. If you're found by her, chances are you're essentially dead to a good artist. She places a crow at a loop and you either stay (get hit) or leave (she catches up because 115 killer, and you get hit). It makes for an uninteractive chase on one side, which leads to stealth plays, which leads to an uninteractive game on both sides, and unlike old Slinger (where stealth was also his biggest counter), who could get around this by using M&A and having a naturally quiet terror radius, Artist doesn't have this liberty so survivors will know she's coming and will hide.

    If you want an example of the best designed killer, to date, at base kit, then look no further than Blight. Some add-ons (ie. 2 add-ons) are too strong, but the rest are fair. His base kit is fair. Exploits break him, as expected since they're exploits. He has solid 1v1 and 1v4 but doesn't feel oppressive in any of them (whereas Artist feels very oppressive in the 1v1 and her 1v4 feels like Legion's strength- non-existant).

    Blight is better designed than Artist ever will be, imho.

    You must of faced against a player that is new to artist because a rand 1 artist can definitely 1v4 the survivors entirely

  • hands down its blight artist is good but easily avoidable power

  • @ArtistVenjix said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2725484#Comment_2725484

    You must of faced against a player that is new to artist because a rand 1 artist can definitely 1v4 the survivors entirely

    Yeah, I gotta agree here. I find it easier to manage the entire map with Artist than most killers, and get more 3-4K with her than many of the other killers I use, and I am not even all that good.

  • I really want to like here but I find her power clunky to use.

    I'm not disagreeing with you but I keep trying and just can't seem to get into the Artist which is a shame because her design is pretty cool.

    There is a lot of hate for her but if you are enjoying her and found a way to make it work for you then go for it, I personally just can't really get her to work for me so I've kinda given up.

    She's definitely not OP and smart play can get around her but she can shut down loops and punish sitting on gens from afar which does give her some good gameplay making not weak either.

    I think its like most things people have one way they want to play the game and anytime that doesn't work or requires them to mix it up they hate on it. Think old spirit I miss the guessing game that was her anti loop mindgame, its much more predictable now making it yet more of the same generic loopy loop you get from other killers. :(