Are Killers Actually Punished for Camping

There's a lot of players on these boards that say Killers get punished by camping by not getting Kills. It seems like a majority believe that camping will net you on average, about 1 kill, while the other 3 survivors escape.

Since I like date, I thought I would test this hypothesis by doing 10 camping-killer games a night and showing the data I got. (There is 1 caveat, if there is a hatch escape without all 5 gens being done I count that as a kill. So far I've only had 1 of these happen).

Here's my data for night 1. I am, of course, playing Leatherface.

image.png

As you can see, as a camping-killer, I'm getting on average about 3.3 kills a game. I don't really feel like I've been punished at all for camping with kill rate of 82.50%.

(I'll add 10 more games tomorrow night for more accurate stats and will probably get up to about 50 games, depending on if I can handle the boredom).

***12/27 Edit***

As promised, I did 10 more facecamping Bubba games. I really despise doing these type of games, it definitely feels dirty to me. Anyway, I've tried some Corrupt Intervention and Bitter Murmur. I kind of like both. Bitter Murmur gives me a chance to NOED 2 survivors at the end of game.

Comments

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716987#Comment_2716987

    Camping actually IS intended gameplay.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3DvvOQI04&t=125s&ab_channel=DeadbyDaylight

    Timestamp 0:44

    Also, if camping wasn´t intended gameplay, then why does Insidious exist?

    So again, why punish killers for camping? Which obviously was intended from the beginning?

    The -very first- PTB was testing out anti-camping measures. They've come out and stated, again, that they're looking for ways to get rid of camping. They are trying to get rid of it, it's not intended.

    And insidious has application outside of camping, it just works worse outside of it, but you could use it to camp a half-finished gen and use that as bait instead of another survivor, for example.

    And again: Killers should be punished for camping because -they're the ones doing it-.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717136#Comment_2717136

    You deserve what you are being handed. Not for nothing, but if the survivors are feeding themselves to you while you stay in one place, then they really aren't that great. Especially if you are on bubba, one of the easiest characters to actually see in the game. The easiest skill in the world is to see the giant with the chainsaw who's staring at your buddy (and therefore has his back to you) and head in the other direction. With kindred you don't even need to be close enough to see him, just remember the pink aura isn't your friend.

    That's the issue I have with the whole "skill" idea. Sure it takes no skill to press a button while someone is right in front of you, but it takes the same level to put yourself right in front of someone who isn't moving.

    Survivors aren't just feeding me kills. Survivors don't have enough time to do gens. Nothing they do has any effect on Facecamping. I'm up to 14 games now and the survivors have thrown everything at me. Straight doing gens. Trying for Dead Hard/Borrowed Time saves. Dual Flashlight saves (Which was probably the game that survivors were most successful).

    I just facecamped 1 survivor to death, then on to the next. So far, I have yet to see anything that is effective against facecamping and the survivors are much-much more skilled than I am most times. I suck with Leatherface, I'm using a no-skill tactic and I'm going against some really skills survivors and I'm coming out ahead.

    This isn't the survivors fault at all.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716956#Comment_2716956

    Camping isn't the 'intended gameplay'. The devs themselves have stated this, but they just haven't found an anti-camping solution yet. You can keep giving ideas on rewarding killers for -not camping-, but that's not going to change things if camping can easily net you a no effort 2K against most survivor teams you'll face.

    Camping needs to not be remotely viable before it can really start to die out.

    Face camping isn't an intended play, and is what the devs are talking about. Regular camping is intended.

    Regular camping cannot be "punished out of the game." The entire hook system has to be changed. Ground up. If you actually thought camping was bad this would be your argument. However that kinda change would result in you being punished for playing poorly. So you'd rather they just change it to make it zero effort easy for you, and punishing for killer.

    Either ask for the entire hook system to get removed or get better at the game as is. Demanding punishment for an intended mechanic doesn't work. It just makes it easier for you to exploit.

  • to be honest, i'm having more fun and kills when camping rather than when i "normally" play.

    basement bubba main on the way.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717158#Comment_2717158

    Survivors aren't just feeding me kills. Survivors don't have enough time to do gens. Nothing they do has any effect on Facecamping. I'm up to 14 games now and the survivors have thrown everything at me. Straight doing gens. Trying for Dead Hard/Borrowed Time saves. Dual Flashlight saves (Which was probably the game that survivors were most successful).

    I just facecamped 1 survivor to death, then on to the next. So far, I have yet to see anything that is effective against facecamping and the survivors are much-much more skilled than I am most times. I suck with Leatherface, I'm using a no-skill tactic and I'm going against some really skills survivors and I'm coming out ahead.

    This isn't the survivors fault at all.

    From my Solo queue experience (which is the only Survivor experience I have) you can only punish a true dedicated facecamping build IF the team manages to do 2 gen worth of progress (1 gen done and 2 gens at 50% for example) before someone gets downed, if a Survivor gets downed without at least 1 gen worth of progress across the map doesnt matter if the other 3 gen rush, odds are at least 1 more person is going down in that match, especially if the basement is in the middle of the map or a small map.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717066#Comment_2717066

    The -very first- PTB was testing out anti-camping measures. They've come out and stated, again, that they're looking for ways to get rid of camping. They are trying to get rid of it, it's not intended.

    And insidious has application outside of camping, it just works worse outside of it, but you could use it to camp a half-finished gen and use that as bait instead of another survivor, for example.

    And again: Killers should be punished for camping because -they're the ones doing it-.

    Ah yes. it's not 'Survivors should stop feeding camping Killers'. It's 'Killers should be punished for not letting me unhook'/'Killers should be punished for playing in a way I disapprove of'.

  • @HectorBrando said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717066#Comment_2717066

    Camping is intended gameplay, what isnt intended is for it to be that effective against Solos, they already stated something like "we dont want to get rid of camping but we want to tone how effective it is" some months ago in a Dev diary or Q&A session.

    What devs want is if you want to camp you are free to but take on account youll get severely punished, which almost never happens against Solos.

    The real problem is a different one. I think those 2 screenshots explain it better than 1000 words:

    therealproblem1.jpg therealproblem2I.jpg


  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717066#Comment_2717066

    The -very first- PTB was testing out anti-camping measures. They've come out and stated, again, that they're looking for ways to get rid of camping. They are trying to get rid of it, it's not intended.

    And insidious has application outside of camping, it just works worse outside of it, but you could use it to camp a half-finished gen and use that as bait instead of another survivor, for example.

    And again: Killers should be punished for camping because -they're the ones doing it-.

    I love your phrasing! "insidious has application outside of camping, it just works worse outside of it, but you could use it to camp a half-finished gen"

    I remember that PTB btw. Devs tested how stopping the hook progress would work when the killer is to close. Aaaaand survivors abused it by looping the killer around the hook.

    You could say that they outplayed themselves.

    EQPVmn9UUAEUazi.jpg


  • No, thats the exact problem me and the dev refer to, it actually supports my argument.

    Against a camper Solos have no clue of the camping so they have to quit the gen, get there and either figure whats happening and walking away (which gives the Killer a lot of extra time since its work not being done on a gen) or being tricked and getting downed (which essentially dooms a third Survivor since now its almost impossible to get all gens done before those 2 die), thats why devs want to tone down how rewarding it is, especially against Solos.

    Im almost sure in that screenshot only 1 got out tops (and using Hatch), since 1 is almost dead on hook, 1 down and 4 gens to go against a facecamper is a 3K most of the time.

  • Use Kindred and you always see if the killer is camping. No need to guess anything.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717005#Comment_2717005

    Okay, first: Just because I say it can be done, doesn't immediately mean that I need to have the solution. If you see a rocket lift-off and then explode, you can easily say that it can be done without exploding without being expected to have the answer ready. My point is that the attitude of 'can't be done' shuts down discussion when we could come to a useful solution. But forum killers don't -want- a solution, so they just stick their heads in the sand and parrot the same dumb line: "It can't be done"

    Secondly: What free perk slot? Unsafe unhooks would still be unsafe unhooks.

    Thirdly:

    Gen repair speeds are increased if, 20 seconds after hooking, the killer is within X radius of a hooked survivor. This buff is increased further for every remaining gen and every survivor actively working on a gen. This buff is decreased by survivors' proximity to a hooked survivor or the killer. This buff is disabled while the killer is in a chase, or if there's one or no gens left to be repaired.

    Now it's your turn to pick it apart and we can figure out if we can patch it up to fix the problems you find.

    Free perk slot by moving BT into basekit, and unsafe hooks would be much less unsafe on the whole as the worst you'd get would generally be the trade.

    Also, same problem as every other radius-based thing: too low, you're still going to camp. Too high, just looking around or passing by will now buff the other side. And then you have hooks or hook entrances where you might have good line of sight so it doesn't matter. It's inherent to all attempts to stop camping by applying penalties, which is why they're doomed to failure.

  • @Impartiality said:

    That’s because half the killers in this forum get carried by camping and are hoping it doesn’t ever get actually punished. Instead they just blame the survivors rather than bad game design

    Agreed.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716987#Comment_2716987

    Face camping isn't an intended play, and is what the devs are talking about. Regular camping is intended.

    Regular camping cannot be "punished out of the game." The entire hook system has to be changed. Ground up. If you actually thought camping was bad this would be your argument. However that kinda change would result in you being punished for playing poorly. So you'd rather they just change it to make it zero effort easy for you, and punishing for killer.

    Either ask for the entire hook system to get removed or get better at the game as is. Demanding punishment for an intended mechanic doesn't work. It just makes it easier for you to exploit.

    The reason I don't want the hook system removed is because I actually enjoy sneaking my way around the killer and going for a safe unhook. I like that dynamic, I like having to figure out when it's safe to unhook and going for it. I -enjoy- that part of gameplay.

    But you decided to immediately jump on the 'survivors bad' bandwagon, didn't you?

    @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717184#Comment_2717184

    Ah yes. it's not 'Survivors should stop feeding camping Killers'. It's 'Killers should be punished for not letting me unhook'/'Killers should be punished for playing in a way I disapprove of'.

    Camping is way more effective, even against solid survivors, than the forums will dare to admit. Read @Munqaxus ' post, for example.

    @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717184#Comment_2717184

    I love your phrasing! "insidious has application outside of camping, it just works worse outside of it, but you could use it to camp a half-finished gen"

    I remember that PTB btw. Devs tested how stopping the hook progress would work when the killer is to close. Aaaaand survivors abused it by looping the killer around the hook.

    You could say that they outplayed themselves.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/RRANTJHXK5DA/eqpvmn9uuaeuazi.jpg

    Moving the goalpost, buddy. That PTB shows that the devs intended for camping to be removed, they just don't know how to do it yet. And they recently stated that they're making another attempt to get rid of it.

    @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717031#Comment_2717031

    Free perk slot by moving BT into basekit, and unsafe hooks would be much less unsafe on the whole as the worst you'd get would generally be the trade.

    Also, same problem as every other radius-based thing: too low, you're still going to camp. Too high, just looking around or passing by will now buff the other side. And then you have hooks or hook entrances where you might have good line of sight so it doesn't matter. It's inherent to all attempts to stop camping by applying penalties, which is why they're doomed to failure.

    It's only a free perk slot if you consider BT a mandatory pick, which in and of itself just lends credence to the idea that camping needs to be addressed. And unsafe hooks would still be extremely unsafe.

    Yes, a killer could still keep an eye on the hook, but if you can force the killer to keep distance to the hook if there's no reason for them to be near it, you can get a slightly unsafe unhook, but there'd still be a possibility for accomplishing -something-. As opposed to the current state, where a killer just stands on the hook and the best you can do is a trade, with a very high chance of a free extra kill.

    But I appreciate that you're considering the scenario and looking at it in earnest, because the majority of forumgoers will simply say 'Something was tried once, five flipping years ago, so that means that it's impossible to fix', and refuse to consider -anything-.

  • I'm fairly certain that the "working on camping" statement was just empty rhetoric akin to "boosting solos to swf levels and buffing killers accordingly."

    I'd almost 100% guarantee that neither will ever come to fruition.

  • @Raccoon said:

    I'm fairly certain that the "working on camping" statement was just empty rhetoric akin to "boosting solos to swf levels and buffing killers accordingly."

    I'd almost 100% guarantee that neither will ever come to fruition.

    Wouldn't be the first time the devs said they were working on something (early game system) and then not deliver anything.

  • Well I got ran for 5 minutes by the guy, so I am sure he won't mind 5 more minutes of company :)


    Oh look, his friends showed up...


    Free

  • Just had it in another thread, there are core game machanics that probalby can´t be changed at all.

  • The solution is simply. Add a new movement survs can use at hooks that means.. don’t unhook me. End of the problem.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717193#Comment_2717193

    The reason I don't want the hook system removed is because I actually enjoy sneaking my way around the killer and going for a safe unhook. I like that dynamic, I like having to figure out when it's safe to unhook and going for it. I -enjoy- that part of gameplay.

    But you decided to immediately jump on the 'survivors bad' bandwagon, didn't you?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717203#Comment_2717203

    Camping is way more effective, even against solid survivors, than the forums will dare to admit. Read @Munqaxus ' post, for example.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717286#Comment_2717286

    Moving the goalpost, buddy. That PTB shows that the devs intended for camping to be removed, they just don't know how to do it yet. And they recently stated that they're making another attempt to get rid of it.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717331#Comment_2717331

    It's only a free perk slot if you consider BT a mandatory pick, which in and of itself just lends credence to the idea that camping needs to be addressed. And unsafe hooks would still be extremely unsafe.

    Yes, a killer could still keep an eye on the hook, but if you can force the killer to keep distance to the hook if there's no reason for them to be near it, you can get a slightly unsafe unhook, but there'd still be a possibility for accomplishing -something-. As opposed to the current state, where a killer just stands on the hook and the best you can do is a trade, with a very high chance of a free extra kill.

    But I appreciate that you're considering the scenario and looking at it in earnest, because the majority of forumgoers will simply say 'Something was tried once, five flipping years ago, so that means that it's impossible to fix', and refuse to consider -anything-.

    I like how you're only argument is to ignore my entire point then insult me.

    You cannot punish camping. Camping is intended. Face camping is not. You either have to lobby for the hooks removal or learn to play better at the game as is.

    All punishing killer does is encourage survivors to blow gens and fast vault at the hook because the killer will get a smack if they try to defend. A fact most people are plenty aware of yet suspiciously forget when these threads go up.

    But no, reduce what I said to "survivor bad." That works to.

  • @HectorBrando said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717281#Comment_2717281

    No, thats the exact problem me and the dev refer to, it actually supports my argument.

    Against a camper Solos have no clue of the camping so they have to quit the gen, get there and either figure whats happening and walking away (which gives the Killer a lot of extra time since its work not being done on a gen) or being tricked and getting downed (which essentially dooms a third Survivor since now its almost impossible to get all gens done before those 2 die), thats why devs want to tone down how rewarding it is, especially against Solos.

    Im almost sure in that screenshot only 1 got out tops (and using Hatch), since 1 is almost dead on hook, 1 down and 4 gens to go against a facecamper is a 3K most of the time.

    Look at the progress bar of my gen. They didn't exactly wait 10 seconds. But wasted more than a minute, by standing there and pointing.

    Survivors can spend up to 120 seconds on the hook. More than enough time to complete a gen. Unless survivors waste that time and complain about camping.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717193#Comment_2717193

    The reason I don't want the hook system removed is because I actually enjoy sneaking my way around the killer and going for a safe unhook. I like that dynamic, I like having to figure out when it's safe to unhook and going for it. I -enjoy- that part of gameplay.

    But you decided to immediately jump on the 'survivors bad' bandwagon, didn't you?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717203#Comment_2717203

    Camping is way more effective, even against solid survivors, than the forums will dare to admit. Read @Munqaxus ' post, for example.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717286#Comment_2717286

    Moving the goalpost, buddy. That PTB shows that the devs intended for camping to be removed, they just don't know how to do it yet. And they recently stated that they're making another attempt to get rid of it.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717331#Comment_2717331

    It's only a free perk slot if you consider BT a mandatory pick, which in and of itself just lends credence to the idea that camping needs to be addressed. And unsafe hooks would still be extremely unsafe.

    Yes, a killer could still keep an eye on the hook, but if you can force the killer to keep distance to the hook if there's no reason for them to be near it, you can get a slightly unsafe unhook, but there'd still be a possibility for accomplishing -something-. As opposed to the current state, where a killer just stands on the hook and the best you can do is a trade, with a very high chance of a free extra kill.

    But I appreciate that you're considering the scenario and looking at it in earnest, because the majority of forumgoers will simply say 'Something was tried once, five flipping years ago, so that means that it's impossible to fix', and refuse to consider -anything-.

    With the time that has passed since then. Do you really think they are still searching for a solution?

    Like... really?

    Just accept that camping is here to stay, because it was designed as a core mechanic since the beginning.

    Which also means that there won't be a punishment for it.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717386#Comment_2717386

    With the time that has passed since then. Do you really think they are still searching for a solution?

    Like... really?

    Just accept that camping is here to stay, because it was designed as a core mechanic since the beginning.

    Which also means that there won't be a punishment for it.

    According to a recent devstream: Yes. They are still looking for a solution. As the lead designer said: Camping is a thorn in our side.

    @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717386#Comment_2717386

    I like how you're only argument is to ignore my entire point then insult me.

    You cannot punish camping. Camping is intended. Face camping is not. You either have to lobby for the hooks removal or learn to play better at the game as is.

    All punishing killer does is encourage survivors to blow gens and fast vault at the hook because the killer will get a smack if they try to defend. A fact most people are plenty aware of yet suspiciously forget when these threads go up.

    But no, reduce what I said to "survivor bad." That works to.

    Do you think no one can read your passive aggressive "You only want this so you can exploit it"?

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717308#Comment_2717308

    Look at the progress bar of my gen. They didn't exactly wait 10 seconds. But wasted more than a minute, by standing there and pointing.

    Survivors can spend up to 120 seconds on the hook. More than enough time to complete a gen. Unless survivors waste that time and complain about camping.

    Still, you have to reach the hook, notice the victim is getting camped and get back to your gen and resume work, thats roughly 20-30 seconds per Survivor just walking from one point to another if the Survivors dont have a decent lead on gen progress 120 seconds is not enough to finish all gens and open the doors.

    Thats why the problem is "camping is way too rewarding against Solos", once everyone know whats happening and how to deal with it, you have around 70-80 seconds of hook time to work freely, not enough unless you have 2 gens worth of progress around the map and I suppose thats what they want to tone down, also one of the problems with camping is hardened Solo Survivors will rush the first gens asap because they know if they get a camper and have 0 progress nobody gets out so you cant afford to stop working on gens to cleanse dulls, open chests, set boons etc... lately and thanks to certain streamers, content creators and forum drama queens Killers are going bonkers with camping because "boons are countered by camping somehow" and people are adapting to it, its a vicious cycle and the result is overall worse games for everyone.

    P.D. the progress bar on both hook and gen indicates around ~20 seconds elapsed.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717577#Comment_2717577

    According to a recent devstream: Yes. They are still looking for a solution. As the lead designer said: Camping is a thorn in our side.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717505#Comment_2717505

    Do you think no one can read your passive aggressive "You only want this so you can exploit it"?

    I'm sure they'll handle it just like moris and keys.

  • @Axx said:

    Camping is effective because most survivors feed kills. Most players, especially solo survivors, when they get camped they will wiggle and let themselves die. This then lets you chase and down and camp someone else. Then this repeats over and over again. Most survivor players have zero patience and won't hang then struggle so the team can do almost all the gens before they die. Plus, people try to save, instead of doing gens hard, then they get downed and slugged and so on. It ain't the game's or the killer's fault if people feed camping killers more kills.

    Like I know solo survivor is rough and that some killers camp and just play mean, but this game is already hand holding the survivor role so much. What more do people want? At this point, the only thing that is going to make people happy is if BHVR adds a bot to play killer that is programmed to only chase.

    You've hit the nail on the head, its exactly this.

    Protecting a hook is often more efficient than chasing a new survivor. Most survivors play really badly around hooks. There is either a give up suicide and don't use the hook timer to its fullest, a lack of coordination resulting in extra downs and often even coordinated players get so tilted by it they make stupid plays.

    If you can take a survivor to second stage on their first hook then the value of that extra pressure pays off big. Even if it costs you an extra gen to get it and more so if the survivors stop doing gens.

    When not facing very experienced killers, and often even when you are, there are heaps of mechanics that let you extend chases and if the killer doesn't commit to extended chases (which is really not in their interest) there are tools to reset any pressure gained from wounds really quickly.

    Just as survivors have figured out its more efficient to play aggressively than cautiously, killers are figuring out its more efficient to play defensively than aggressively. Pick a three gen and hook someone in the middle of it then just defend it. Once you're down to 3 survivors with a secure 3 gen then you are solid. At that point you can play aggressive because you've just got a huge boost in permanent pressure by removing an opponent.

    As chasing becomes less efficient for killers then defensive play will win out over aggressive play more often.

    I'd say the most efficient killer play is to, pick your 3 gen, get your fist down, hook them nearby and patrol only your three gen, intermittently returning to the hook. If they get unhooked focus them down dead and then stake out your three gen till you can hook the next one nearby. From that point you can switch to more aggressive play. That is the killer equivalent of survivors splitting up to pressure 4 gens at game start.

    If they cook up a punishment to dissuade "camping" then they have to make chasing more efficient than it currently is. I don't see that happening so any punishment mechanic is just gonna further hand hold survivors and make the game generally crummier overall.

    Just look at the forum, people get upset about camping but those same people are often getting upset about anti-loop mechanics also.

  • @Impartiality said:

    This forum/thread is full of so many bad killers that get carried by camping and tunnelling lol. There’s no wonder this place is full of killers who claim the game isn’t balanced.

    You all get kills by camping and then play against survivors much better in skill. Come to the forum to cry the game is not balanced.

    And yet it's bad Survivors whining about 'camping' on the forums when it's their own bad actions that feed campers.

    They see their friend camped, camp the camping Killer, get found, and then shivel and whine and cry on the forums that 'Camping is bad!' and 'Get gud, Killers!' when it's their own bad skill that fed the Killer.

    Funny how that works.

  • @HectorBrando said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717569#Comment_2717569

    Still, you have to reach the hook, notice the victim is getting camped and get back to your gen and resume work, thats roughly 20-30 seconds per Survivor just walking from one point to another if the Survivors dont have a decent lead on gen progress 120 seconds is not enough to finish all gens and open the doors.

    Thats why the problem is "camping is way too rewarding against Solos", once everyone know whats happening and how to deal with it, you have around 70-80 seconds of hook time to work freely, not enough unless you have 2 gens worth of progress around the map and I suppose thats what they want to tone down, also one of the problems with camping is hardened Solo Survivors will rush the first gens asap because they know if they get a camper and have 0 progress nobody gets out so you cant afford to stop working on gens to cleanse dulls, open chests, set boons etc... lately and thanks to certain streamers, content creators and forum drama queens Killers are going bonkers with camping because "boons are countered by camping somehow" and people are adapting to it, its a vicious cycle and the result is overall worse games for everyone.

    P.D. the progress bar on both hook and gen indicates around ~20 seconds elapsed.

    I should have made more pictures. Since they stayed almost the whole 80 seconds of the gen.

    Oh and the "killers going bonkers" thing is more a direct reaction to how quickly gens go. Since it isn't exactly motivating to lose 3 gens by the time you get the first hook.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717588#Comment_2717588

    I should have made more pictures. Since they stayed almost the whole 80 seconds of the gen.

    Oh and the "killers going bonkers" thing is more a direct reaction to how quickly gens go. Since it isn't exactly motivating to lose 3 gens by the time you get the first hook.

    Doesnt matter, my argument about Solos having too little information to punish facecamping properly still stands, more screenshots wouldnt give a proper counter to what I say:

    Solos still have to go near the hook, see the Killer there and go back to a gen wasting a lot of time, even if those 2 were to reach the hook and go back after confirming the camp you still had to finish 4 gens as 3, with those 2 having lost roughly ~25 seconds of gen work, lets say you finish yours, guy on hook dies, the other 2 are around 60-70%, Killer is free to patrol again and you still have to finish 3 gens, someone else gets downed and facecamped, now you have to finish 2 gens as 2 in those 120 seconds, perfectly doable, guy on hook dies, NOED activates and its a gamble if someone else goes down or you manage to open the gates before he finds another victim. Result of the game, best scenario is 2 kills and 2 escapes, worst is 3 kills for doing absolutely nothing with a strat that requires very little skill.

    The problem is not Solos doing what you show on the screenshots, the problem is facecamping Solos leads to that situation because they lack info and in turn it makes camping much more effective (which they want to curb).

    On another note we are talking about facecamping and punishment not about generator speeds, you can create another thread to discuss that, lets not derail the current one.


    @Munqaxus I like your experiment.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717577#Comment_2717577

    According to a recent devstream: Yes. They are still looking for a solution. As the lead designer said: Camping is a thorn in our side.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717505#Comment_2717505

    Do you think no one can read your passive aggressive "You only want this so you can exploit it"?

    Passive aggressive implies I'm trying to hide my intent.

    I am not hiding my intent. Most arguments are clear attempts to make it easy to safe unhook while punishing the killer for defending an objective. An intended objective. Nothing passive about that statement.

    Now you've ignored my point twice to focus on trivial crap. This tells me, and I tell you in no passive or aggressive way, you have nothing relevant to say in response.

    I genuinely hope you have a good day, but I'm not wasting anymore time on you.

  • I like how it's bad killers winning with camping and tunneling and yet somehow it's not the survivors being bad allowing it to work.

  • @Crowman said:

    I like how it's bad killers winning with camping and tunneling and yet somehow it's not the survivors being bad allowing it to work.

    Welcome to DBD: If a Survivor loses; Killers are OP. If a Survivor wins; Killers need to git gud. If a Killer's nerfed; Good riddance. If a Survivor's nerfed; Killers must have whined. 🙃

  • @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717646#Comment_2717646

    Welcome to DBD: If a Survivor loses; Killers are OP. If a Survivor wins; Killers need to git gud. If a Killer's nerfed; Good riddance. If a Survivor's nerfed; Killers must have whined. 🙃

    The problem with this argument is that I am bad at playing Leatherface and the survivors I'm playing against are noticeably better at playing survivor than I am at playing Leatherface.

    Most of the survivors I'm going against should be winning, yet at best, they're breaking even against Facecamping of all things. Most times they're straight out losing.

  • @cantelope said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717579#Comment_2717579

    Passive aggressive implies I'm trying to hide my intent.

    I am not hiding my intent. Most arguments are clear attempts to make it easy to safe unhook while punishing the killer for defending an objective. An intended objective. Nothing passive about that statement.

    Now you've ignored my point twice to focus on trivial crap. This tells me, and I tell you in no passive or aggressive way, you have nothing relevant to say in response.

    I genuinely hope you have a good day, but I'm not wasting anymore time on you.

    You don't have a point. You never had a point. You made a broad, overall assertion with no backing arguments, then proceeded to try a poison-the-well tactic. What am I supposed to say to that?

  • -hex totem spawn being broken and making them almost useless since they get cleansed the first 2 minutes

    -genrushing to the extreme and gen-tapping being a thing

    -broken grab animation

    -hit validations broken

    -80% of the roster(along with 80% of killers perks) not viable and extremely underpowered


    Behaviour: i sleep


    i got camped after i :

    "pissed off the killer the whole game/bullyied him with my friends/i rushed the hook like a noob while he was nearby"

    "camping bad, plz nerf,"

    behaviour: Real [BAD WORD]!!, we are on our way to fix this unbearable problem, stay strong, we will support you!

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717579#Comment_2717579

    I'm sure they'll handle it just like moris and keys.

    image.png

    Here's the full quote, so that it is not misrepresented.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716808#Comment_2716808

    Weird conclusion to say that No Way Out hands out free kills. By definition, the cost of those kills is No Way Out and having the hooks to lock the doors for the time needed.

    And not to get too pedantic, but collecting only the values you think are relevant is also a pretty poor example of the scientific method. Or even data collection as a whole. Plus personal variables (and many things we can't control for like MMR). Let's not cast stones about data quality when there's not much better. Maybe if we could arrange some sort of multiperson approach to data gathering and not explicitly set out only gathering seemingly relevant data... xD

    And its Monstrous. Monstrous Shrine.

    There was a direct causation between the total number of kills I had in this experiment and my use of No Way Out.

    How is that a weird conclusion? You realize that this is a face-camping study, right? I stared at survivors for 2 boring minutes while they died on the hook--we're talking minimal stacks of No Way Out, and I walk away claiming it handed me free kills. I am telling you, quite confidently, that I would have 1k'd or 2k'd in some of my games without No Way Out. I had 2 stacks, max. I didn't even need the stacks--just the fact that survivors couldn't immediately open the gate and leave enabled me to secure an extra kill in trials I didn't 4k.


    Also, would you care to tell me what other values are relevant here?

    OP posed the question, "are killers actually punished for camping?" They then clarified that the question is being posited in the context of total kills in an average trial. Therefore, the experiment aims to shed light on whether or not camping produces a low or high number of kills per trial.

    The killer I play, the perks & add-ons I used, and the number of kills I ended with are the three most important points of data needed to address OP's question. However, kills is the only data point we need to look at once an ideal build has been recognized & accepted.

    We're trying to collect data for the average trial. That means map, survivor perks, survivor items, & survivor SWF count are irrelevant points of data. They are uncontrollables which, over the course of say... 10,000 games, all end up in the same melting pot labeled the "average trial."

    If I run this experiment 10,000 times, you cannot argue that I'm looking at the wrong data points when all I present to you is my kill average. I would have played 10,000 public games--it doesn't get any more "average" than that. I would have inevitably run into every theoritical counter-argument against the viability of camping, and those numbers would be calculated into my final average.

    If you dislike how infrequently I face of survivors who can effectively "beat" camping, that is an issue with the game, not with my study.

  • @Labrac said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716808#Comment_2716808

    Just a small tip for you: 10 games is not "scientific method". As a wannabe research irl it pains me reading this.

    For a game with over 50k players daily only on Steam, 10 games is laughable as data. And as mentioned above you didn't even show the other variables, and there are some you can't even control like MMR. Your games.

    Your comment and the OP's post is just as anecdotal evidence as anyone's else.

    Thank you Captain Obvious.

    You know, its been about 10 years since I took AP Statistics--I forgot how reliable data works.


    Hey, do me a favor.

    How about you throw your hat in the ring and offer up 10 games for science and post them here in the forum?

    You know... instead of scrutinizing someone else for not wanting to collect an adequate amount of data on your behalf. Its crazy what a collective can do. Imagine if everyone in this thread shared a chart from 10 games, instead of playing armchair statistician with their turned-up nose and educated opinions.


    Or don't. It's about as much as I'd expect from you.
  • There used to be a proximity to hooked survivor penalty for pipping, but I don't know if that's still a thing with the new ranking system. It was never that much of a punishment, though. Gradual bloodpoint penalties/deductions, MMR and ranking demotions, etc. all have been thrown around but even they don't too effective.

  • Another way of asking this question would be, is camping an effective way to get kills? And the answer is yes. We all know it is. People wouldn't do it otherwise.

    Why is it effective? Because survivors go for the save and it snowballs.

    Why do they go for the save? Lots of reasons. They don't know the killer's camping, they know but they think it's not fair, they know but they think it's boring, etc.

    Do we want to play this game if, every match, the person who gets caught first dies slowly while everyone else does the gens and leaves? I don't.

    How do we prevent the game from turning into that? I don't know. And the reason I don't know is because, while doing the gens and leaving is theoretically a deterrent to camping, that only works if the killer is choosing between a 1K and a 2+K. If the killer is choosing between a 0K and a 1K, camping is still going to be the better choice. So, if part of the reason people are camping more is because they get rolled otherwise, that's a bigger problem with the game.

  • Why is it so hard to consider INCENTIVES to not camp, rather than focusing on punishing others?

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    Why is it so hard to consider INCENTIVES to not camp, rather than focusing on punishing others?

    Because unless the incentives royally break the game, they're not going to compare to a free 2K.

  • @Impartiality said:

    This forum/thread is full of so many bad killers that get carried by camping and tunnelling lol. There’s no wonder this place is full of killers who claim the game isn’t balanced.

    You all get kills by camping and then play against survivors much better in skill. Come to the forum to cry the game is not balanced.

    "Maybe if I try insulting random strangers who don't care about me, that will get them to stop playing in ways I dislike!!!"

    Bold strategy, Cotton.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717859#Comment_2717859

    Because unless the incentives royally break the game, they're not going to compare to a free 2K.

    Then nothing is ever changing and it would be best to just spend your energy elsewhere, bro.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2716833#Comment_2716833

    Thank you Captain Obvious.

    You know, its been about 10 years since I took AP Statistics--I forgot how reliable data works.

    Hey, do me a favor.

    How about you throw your hat in the ring and offer up 10 games for science and post them here in the forum?

    You know... instead of scrutinizing someone else for not wanting to collect an adequate amount of data on your behalf. Its crazy what a collective can do. Imagine if everyone in this thread shared a chart from 10 games, instead of playing armchair statistician with their turned-up nose and educated opinions.

    Or don't. It's about as much as I'd expect from you.

    First of all I know how to read. No need for the huge letters lmao.

    I could do the games and post it here. Or I could say I did them and post some random 10 results. It would be as reliable as yours to draw conclusions about game balance.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717859#Comment_2717859

    Because unless the incentives royally break the game, they're not going to compare to a free 2K.

    Ah yes, that 'free' 2K, where the Killer never had to find, chase, hit, chase, hit, pick up (being aware of attempted pallet or flashlight saves), and carry to a hook that may or may not be sabo'd.

    Is that the 'free 2k' the one you are talking about? Because to anyone not biased; that does not look 'free'.


    The way biased Survivors scream about it; a Killer just has to say 'I wanna camp' into his microphone and, magically, 2 Survivors teleport onto hooks.

    'Free 2K' rofl. What tripe.

  • @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717871#Comment_2717871

    Ah yes, that 'free' 2K, where the Killer never had to find, chase, hit, chase, hit, pick up (being aware of attempted pallet or flashlight saves), and carry to a hook that may or may not be sabo'd.

    Is that the 'free 2k' the one you are talking about? Because to anyone not biased; that does not look 'free'.

    The way biased Survivors scream about it; a Killer just has to say 'I wanna camp' into his microphone and, magically, 2 Survivors teleport onto hooks.

    'Free 2K' rofl. What tripe.

    Yes, because find the first surv and hit him is so difficult. Something 4 survs escape and I didn’t see anyone. Only semigod people can do it

  • @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717871#Comment_2717871

    Ah yes, that 'free' 2K, where the Killer never had to find, chase, hit, chase, hit, pick up (being aware of attempted pallet or flashlight saves), and carry to a hook that may or may not be sabo'd.

    Is that the 'free 2k' the one you are talking about? Because to anyone not biased; that does not look 'free'.

    The way biased Survivors scream about it; a Killer just has to say 'I wanna camp' into his microphone and, magically, 2 Survivors teleport onto hooks.

    'Free 2K' rofl. What tripe.

    If you're struggling to get even a single hook, the problem is either matchmaking or you.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717909#Comment_2717909

    If you're struggling to get even a single hook, the problem is either matchmaking or you.

    My point was that it's not a 'free' anything. The Killer still has to put in work.

    But Survivors seem to think they can label anything as 'free' in an attempt to make it sound OP.

    NoED? 'Free Kills!' Ignoring, you know, going the whole match with 3 perks, plus totems maybe being destroyed before end-game.

    Camping? 'Free hooks!' ignoring the base gameplay loop of Find, Chase, hit, chase, hit. Plus perks like DH extending a loop.


    The mantra seems to be 'Pretend it takes 0 skill, then scream it should be nerfed'.

  • @Labrac said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2717794#Comment_2717794

    First of all I know how to read. No need for the huge letters lmao.

    I could do the games and post it here. Or I could say I did them and post some random 10 results. It would be as reliable as yours to draw conclusions about game balance.

    Admittedly, the H2 Title font comes off a bit more aggressive than I intend.

    That said, I use the various markdowns to create hierarchy in my writing so that others can quickly establish the tone or purpose of my response without reading it in entirety. I'm sure not everyone wants to read everything I have to write.


    You could lie about your results. But if you're truly interested in improving the game, there is nothing to be gained by falsifying information. You'd be doing a disservice to yourself and the community.

    I've got a history of creating discussions on this forum that fight for both sides of the aisle and challenge the design choices of both killer, survivor, and the game itself.

    Take my data with a grain of salt, fine, but I'm only here to improve the game.

  • Like pretty much everything else in this game, the punishment is entirely driven by the survivors. If the survivors sit on the gens, then the killer gets punished. If the survivors attempt to be altruistic, then the killer could potentially profit.

    Ultimately, the survivors are in full control as to how the game goes, particularly if the killer is camping.

1 2 3 4 5 … 8