I Finally Figured Out Pyramid Head

Thanks to your all help. And I'm in LOVE. Got my first 4k with him and it felt GREAT. I tried to watch the Silent Hill movie but had no idea what the hell was going on and couldn't finish it. Share the PH love!

Comments

  • Welcome to the cult. I have a guide if you require more tips and tricks to turn you top tier

    And yes I tried to be as alliterative as possible

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Welcome to the cult. I have a guide if you require more tips and tricks to turn you top tier

    And yes I tried to be as alliterative as possible

    I will take said guide!

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    So a few attentive people may recognise this from a comment I made yesterday (technically it was 24 minutes into today but let's not talk semantics). A couple of people suggested I make it a real post because "That's an excellent guide, very well put together." So, here I am. I've added a few more things so it's still worth a read.

    This will cover what is, in my opinion, his best build and why, as well as a few tips on playing him & a few videos.

    So hey, it's me- GoodBoyKaru, your friendly neighbourhood Pyramid Head main- here to give some swift Tips and Tricks(tm) to help make you a better Pyramid Head player!

    For the record, this was made during DBD Patch 4.7.2

    Build

    PERKS

    My personal favourite and imho strongest build is this:

    • Corrupt Intervention

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5A01IV8RME2M/image.png

    Crucial early-game slowdown on a killer without mobility, allows him to stall the game massively because survivors know that if they get found they're doomed.

    • Pop Goes The Weasel

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/FHA7ZFNAKVZY/image.png

    It's the second best gen regression perk in the game, Ruin is too volatile to be anywhere near reliable on him because, again, no movement speed, he needs gen perks because he cannot move around the map quick enough, 11/10. "But you don't hook pe-" WRONG. You should be getting plenty of value out of PGTW and if you're overcaging then you're taking your map pressure and throwing it out the window.

    • Barbeque and Chili

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/SC8THLXSY3RP/image.png

    Now, you could obviously put other perks here like Infectious Fright (amazing snowball), Tinkerer (Undetectable is nice and it helps tell you where to go but again no movement speed) or Discordance (amazing info, can sometimes do nothing about it). However I say BBQ because I like the perk and also because bloodpoints.

    • I'm All Ears

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/V90CSL0I44NO/image.png

    Hands down the best perk in the game for Pyramid Head, that's six seconds of wallhacks. I cannot stress how valuable this is with his power- that is a guaranteed free hit in 9/10 situations. To show what I mean, I've linked a timestamped video below of where IAE comes in so clutch- continues to 5:16 in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=296s

    (you can watch the whole thing if you really want I'm proud of the game).

    An honourable mention here goes to Ruin/Undying over Pop/Corrupt. As I've mentioned before, Tinkerer isn't a great perk on him due to his lack of speed, but the same goes for Ruin/Undying. You don't have the map mobility to defend your totems, especially if they spawn further away, and you'll probably end up losing two perks before 2 gens go. Corrupt/Pop is just more consistent in my experience.

    ADD-ONS

    So, his add-ons aren't great. The best ones, by far, are range add-ons which, when combined, extend his POTD by up to 2.5m (10.5m total). These are Burning Man Painting (Rare), Wax Doll (Uncommon), and Black Strap (Common), which ass +1.5m, +1m, and +0.5m respectively.

    tips

    Okay so rule number one is to not break pallets. Sounds weird but, just trust me.

    His power is incredibly strong in a chase- so much so that if a survivor commits to an animation they die. If you don't break pallets (with some exceptions like God pallets) you can do amazing things. Because who doesn't want more opportunities to win a chase, like, instantly? It turns incredibly safe pallets into death sentences

    To show what I mean, here's another timestamped clip. Ends at 10:58

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3X5o9GpjY&t=646s

    Learn the range of the power. 8m is specific and sometimes you think you can hit things and you can't. You need to be very careful, especially when playing with range add-ons for so long, because it can and will screw with your perception.

    Adapt to the survivors you're facing. A lot of players will fake taking an animation, go to the side slightly to bait your POTD or your cancel, and then commit to the animation. If you turn to the side and release, you'll catch a lot of these survivors out and get a hit. It's really satisfying to do. Alternatively some survivors will commit to the animations regardless, in which case you'll know to aim in the centre. Other survivors will just hold W and pre-drop pallets, in which case you know to leave them because you'll really struggle catching up, or do not use your power.

    I cannot stress that enough. If a survivor is pre-dropping W key gaming, do not use your power. M1 killer them.

    Don't overcage and don't stress about torment. If a survivor loops you, they'll get tormented. That's just kinda how it works- you stick your knife in, follow them around a loop, and release your POTD after tracking their movements.

    To see what I mean we return to the first video, again timestamped. Clip ends at 1:36.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=83s

    See how I hug the car, turn the camera and use the power to hit him out of animation lock? Had he kept running, easy torment too.

    In my opinion, only cage someone in one of four scenarios:

    • You're afraid of a DS (just please don't tunnel I'm begging you)
    • You're afraid of an Unbreakable (much more likely)
    • You can immidiately get into another chase
    • It would place you into a Pressure Point Of No Return (name pending).

    What I mean by that last point is that there comes a time in a DBD game where the killer will hit a Pressure Point Of No Return, where the survivors physically cannot come back from the amount of pressure and momentum you're building. The best example of this as Pyramid Head is where you split the map through cages. You have two downed survivors. Cage one, hook the other. Nobody is on a generator, you have a BBQ proc to interrupt the person saving the cage or the hook, and now the last person must save both people. On especially large maps, like Mother's Dwelling, or multi-storied ones, like Midwich, this can force people into second stage and you've won the game at 5 gens. It's more common than you'd think.

    If you cage at other times you're probably wasting pressure you could've gotten from a hook.

    Learn where you can and can't lay trails. In front of totems and lockers? Amazing. In front of a gen? Not at all, it becomes a Restricted Trail Element and disappears after a few seconds. The DBD Wiki has a section on this which I'll just paste below.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2808XTGCLSHV/image.png

    I'd highly, highly suggest reading the wiki page on his power as it's really useful in understanding the fundamentals and giving actual values to words. Here it is:

    https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Pyramid_Head

    Finally, learn where you can and can't use POTD. It sounds like a simple thing but learning where you can and can't use it, however there's a lot to it. For example, learning how vertical changes affect it. Did you know if you release his power on a slope going up it'll fail, same with releasing it on a slope going down. However, if you're barely off of the slope it'll travel down it, but only if it isn't too steep.

    It's nuts but knowing where you can and can't actually have an ability is, funnily enough, pretty important.

    A few more quick-fire tips:

    • Don't just go for animation lock shots. People expect these and adapt. Be unpredictable to catch them off guard and get easy hits. Like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1k10I-zG4&feature=emb_logo

    Bet they didn't expect that one :p

    Needless to say that was where I hit a Pressure Point Of No Return and poor Jakey couldn't pick up the scraps.

    • Don't spam his power. You waste too much time. Be precise, predict, and adapt to your opponents.
    • Don't spam his trails. You move at 110% and you already lack a movement ability, you waste too much time.
    • Tunneling isn't the best strategy. I know it seems like it because cages but again, you do not have a movement ability. Survivors can and will facefuck generators and ruin your day substantially.
    • Dead Dawg Saloon and Hawkins are both maps you never press M2 on ever. Play like a default M1 killer because the map design prevents you from using your power. They're pretty much auto-loss maps, ngl, unless the survivors really badly mess up.
    • Play survivor. Learn where survivors move and how they path, shoot POTD to hit them. That's what I did in that last clip.

    And, yeah, that's about it. If people have any questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can, though I think this is comprehensive enough.

    Here it is

  • Glad to see another one enjoying my favourite killer. Good luck to you!

    I've been using A Nurses Calling and I'm All Ears for some sweet behind the wall hits - and it works great so far.

  • Please, don't watch the movies. They're not a good representation of the games. If you don't want to play Silent Hill 2 (where PH comes from), or if you can't, watch a playthrough on YouTube. It's a real good game. I'm not biased at all. (I'm a huge fan of the three first Silent Hill games, but I'm not biased.)

    Congratulations about your 4K. Pyramid Head was the very first Killer I've played. It was even on Midwich, and a Cheryl was in the opponent team. I didn't understand at all what I was doing, it was fun. I hope you'll enjoy playing PH for a long, long time!

  • I want to become a Pyramid Head main and have been playing him quite a bit over the last week. After some getting used to his somewhat clunky sword (well, it IS exeptionally large, so thats ok) he pretty damn rocks! I really love playing him and occasionally you can mori the whole team for free, which just feels awesome.

    I love to combo Monitor & Abuse and Nurse's Calling, as his smaller terror radius and the healing wall hack will give you a lot of opportunities to down survivors through walls, who didn't see it coming.

    He is a really fun killer and worth the time investment to properly learn him.

  • @TheMadCat said:

    Please, don't watch the movies. They're not a good representation of the games. If you don't want to play Silent Hill 2 (where PH comes from), or if you can't, watch a playthrough on YouTube. It's a real good game. I'm not biased at all. (I'm a huge fan of the three first Silent Hill games, but I'm not biased.)

    Congratulations about your 4K. Pyramid Head was the very first Killer I've played. It was even on Midwich, and a Cheryl was in the opponent team. I didn't understand at all what I was doing, it was fun. I hope you'll enjoy playing PH for a long, long time!

    I really want to know what his story is. Would the second game be the best place to start?

  • @Pizzasauce said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710165#Comment_2710165

    I really want to know what his story is. Would the second game be the best place to start?

    Yes

  • @Akumakaji said:

    I want to become a Pyramid Head main and have been playing him quite a bit over the last week. After some getting used to his somewhat clunky sword (well, it IS exeptionally large, so thats ok) he pretty damn rocks! I really love playing him and occasionally you can mori the whole team for free, which just feels awesome.

    I love to combo Monitor & Abuse and Nurse's Calling, as his smaller terror radius and the healing wall hack will give you a lot of opportunities to down survivors through walls, who didn't see it coming.

    He is a really fun killer and worth the time investment to properly learn him.

    Ooo that sounds fun, I'll have to try that! Right now I'm just running his three perks plus Pop, but I want to try that!

  • YES! The council of PH is getting stronger and stronger.

  • @MrDardon said:

    YES! The council of PH is getting stronger and stronger.

    Who's the head of the council?

  • Yeah that checks out

    I call dibs on third in command,

  • I have a condition that renders me unable to start a game unless I play the 1st one. I suck at these old ps1 games so I fear I'll never make it to SH2

  • We need to all call together, otherwise he won't arrive here.


    Oh. Nvm, he is banned. I guess he made to many threads about how outrageous it is that his rear got nerfed.

  • @MrDardon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710272#Comment_2710272

    We need to all call together, otherwise he won't arrive here.

    Oh. Nvm, he is banned. I guess he made to many threads about how outrageous it is that his rear got nerfed.

    vote?

  • Nemesis is better than PH....You know its true. Oh wrong thread my bad.



    JOKES....dont attack please.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    Nemesis is better than PH....You know its true.

    JOKES....dont attack please.

    You wouldn’t dare…

  • @chargernick85 said:

    Nemesis is better than PH....You know its true.

    JOKES....dont attack please.

    His range attack feels more comfy to use, thats for sure.

    Minus the whole muscle memory thing where you start a match going for 6m tentacle 360 noscopes and you forget you're only tier 1.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    Nemesis is better than PH....You know its true.

    JOKES....dont attack please.

    raw.png

    Body is 1 character to short.

  • Oh i would. My opinion of course but PH just feel meh to me. They screwed him over bad just so survivors have an eternity to dodge his POTD.

    Makes his cages count as hooks, revert half of his zoning back and i would change my mind.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710293#Comment_2710293

    Oh i would. My opinion of course but PH just feel meh to me. They screwed him over bad just so survivors have an eternity to dodge his POTD.

    Makes his cages count as hooks, revert half of his zoning back and i would change my mind.

    His cages do count as hooks?

  • Ok. Send someone to cage and go use pop on a gen....you cant. Send someone to cage see if you get a bbq stack....you dont. Unhook someone out of a cage while doing a unhook challenge an see if it counts....it dont

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710301#Comment_2710301

    Ok. Send someone to cage and go use pop on a gen....you cant. Send someone to cage see if you get a bbq stack....you dont. Unhook someone out of a cage while doing a unhook challenge an see if it counts....it dont

    Butthat also means BT and DS dont work either, so its net neutral I guess?

  • @lauraa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710307#Comment_2710307

    Butthat also means BT and DS dont work either, so its net neutral I guess?

    Those rarely effect me. I could care less.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710301#Comment_2710301

    Ok. Send someone to cage and go use pop on a gen....you cant. Send someone to cage see if you get a bbq stack....you dont. Unhook someone out of a cage while doing a unhook challenge an see if it counts....it dont

    Well I don’t like DS. Also you don’t need to cage people.

  • You're a nice killer than I am, fair enough XD

  • Best/worst maps to play as PH on? Go!

  • @Pizzasauce said:

    Best/worst maps to play as PH on? Go!

    He isn't really map dependent. If you use M&A, I'd guess maps with a lot of LoS blockers are good for him since the reduced TR gives Survivors a later warning, giving you more distance.. and distance is his biggest counter.

    I'd say maps with elevations aren't great either because his PotD attack can't go upwards, but it can go downwards. So yeah, a map like swamp isn't ideal either.

    But in general, he works well on pretty much every map.

  • I highly recommend nurses calling. I get double downs through walls all the time.

  • @ColonGlock said:

    I highly recommend nurses calling. I get double downs through walls all the time.

    I need to get my nurse up there in levels first then hopefully ill be able to get it.

  • Well #1 is Dorito Man and #2 is too much pressure feat. far too much harassment just for being there so I'll take #3.

  • @ColonGlock said:

    I highly recommend nurses calling. I get double downs through walls all the time.

    How is Nurses these days with the prevalence of CoH+SS? lots of people be healing in Boon ranges these days, and the cool kids run Shadowstep.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710275#Comment_2710275

    Well #1 is Dorito Man and #2 is too much pressure feat. far too much harassment just for being there so I'll take #3.

    well PyramidHead got banned

  • Yeah but Pyramid Head has a space between. Obviously we'd have banned the impostor.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710412#Comment_2710412

    Yeah but Pyramid Head has a space between. Obviously we'd have banned the impostor.

    True.

  • Silent Hill 2 (the video game) is the only thing you should watch in order to understand what Pyramid Head actually is, and there are a few walkthroughs of the game. Survival Horror Network do commentary-free walkthroughs, so for immersion I'd try that.

    But Pyramid Head is alongside killers like Oni, Hillbilly and Demogorgon who are tough yet fair to face, and personally I enjoy playing all 4 of those guys. Glad you enjoy the Executioner too!

  • Just for clarification: while his cages work like hooks and can eventually sacrifice survivors, they don't interact with anything that is hook dependent so BT, DS but also Pop or BBQ don't proc. In my everyday build I usually run BBQ, M&A, Nurses Calling and Scourge Hook Pain resonance. I normally hook survivors the first time normally, no matter if they are damned and as second hook send then to the cage. This way I get my BBQ stacks and any DS shenanigans don't interest me and I can tunnel if the game went south, but also play more friendly, if I am in control.

  • What would you all recommend if you didn't have Nurses Calling or BBQ? I've got Pop, I'm All Ears, and M&A so far...

  • @Pizzasauce said:

    What would you all recommend if you didn't have Nurses Calling or BBQ? I've got Pop, I'm All Ears, and M&A so far...

    Pop, I'm All Ears, Corrupt Intervention, then an info perk (ie Surveillance, Discordance, Eruption). However feel free to swap out Corrupt for M&A- I just prefer the former.

  • @lauraa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2710362#Comment_2710362

    How is Nurses these days with the prevalence of CoH+SS? lots of people be healing in Boon ranges these days, and the cool kids run Shadowstep.

    I personally am still getting value. It works better with sloppy as it gives you more time.

    Shadowstep does nullify it but I put out totems when I hear them.