About LGBT representation

I know we're getting some type of LGBT representation, but what kind?

Are we getting just gay/lesbian survivors or are we getting both killer and survivor?

Are we getting trans characters too? Non-binary?

Could we also get characters with non traditional body types? (Male character with a body type similar to Feng's, and vice versa)

Thank you!

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • On no. I hope this doesn't go like the rest of these threads have.


    On topic tho, I would enjoy seeing a scarecrow Killer, as that would represent my 6'3 120 pound body quite well.

  • @Pulsar said:

    On no. I hope this doesn't go like the rest of these threads have.

    On topic tho, I would enjoy seeing a scarecrow Killer, as that would represent my 6'3 120 pound body quite well.

    I want a male trans survivor with small body type for selfish reasons lol

  • Honestly the selfish part of me wants an mlm survivor. But I also know they're the easiest to do and probably also the most bland.

    An enby survivor would be really nice though, and not that hard to do well either. Just replace he/him or she/her with other pronouns (I believe they/them are the most common but I don't see an issue with any others).

    Though I have to admit, I'm kinda afraid of their attempts to make a trans character - for reasons explained by a trans friend I don't have 100% confidence in their ability to do it well, and the still rampent transphobia not just in the community but in the world in general also makes me scared of the community response.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Honestly the selfish part of me wants an mlm survivor. But I also know they're the easiest to do and probably also the most bland.

    An enby survivor would be really nice though, and not that hard to do well either. Just replace he/him or she/her with other pronouns (I believe they/them are the most common but I don't see an issue with any others).

    Though I have to admit, I'm kinda afraid of their attempts to make a transsexual survivor (I think that's the right phrase? I'm cis so I don't know for sure but I swear trans is an umbrella term for just not the gender you were assigned at birth??) - for reasons explained by a trans friend I don't have 100% confidence in their ability to do it well, and the still rampent transphobia not just in the community but in the world in general also makes me scared of the community response.

    Well, it's actually "transgender" lol.

    I would love mlm as a gay trans man ngl

    I frankly think that if BHVR really is for inclusivity, they'll put their money where their mouth is and give us trans characters as well as gay ones

  • @AkiTheKitten said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660779#Comment_2660779

    Well, it's actually "transgender" lol.

    I would love mlm as a gay trans man ngl

    I frankly think that if BHVR really is for inclusivity, they'll put their money where their mouth is and give us trans characters as well as gay ones

    I thought transgender (shortened to trans) was the umbrella term and then there were different terms under that umbrella 🧍

    Also known as me being ✨dumb✨

  • 01.png 04.png

    Isn't this his boyfriend?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660783#Comment_2660783

    I thought transgender (shortened to trans) was the umbrella term and then there were different terms under that umbrella 🧍

    Also known as me being ✨dumb✨

    Actually you are correct, but "transseuxual" is kinda seen as a slur to some trans people. I personally don't see it like that, but you wanna be careful with other trans people

  • @AkiTheKitten said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660790#Comment_2660790

    Actually you are correct, but "transseuxual" is kinda seen as a slur to some trans people. I personally don't see it like that, but you wanna be careful with other trans people

    It is??! Holy ######### tysm im sorry

  • Nah nah no worries, alot of people don't really know that. Take it as a learning experience :)

  • Oh yeah. Gonna join before it goes down like the other threads.

    i guess further down the line there will be more LGBTQ+ characters but for their first they will try to avoid any bad stereotypes, and making the first one a Killer, the ‚evil‘ role, might be a bit controversial considering how gay people used to be portrayed in movies..

    so I am assuming a gay or lesbian survivor that is overall ‚normal‘ but has a loved one from the same gender be mentioned in their backstory. And they need consultants for that…


    on the bodytypes I agree, had high hopes after Jeff and Jane but then they started to focus on young attractive fit (mostly female) survivors. At least they have diversity in ethnicities and nationalities I guess!

  • I'm going to step in on this thread now....we know what is going to happen and I want to put a nice little warning that if people start trying to bring this to a "there shouldn't be representation in DbD" into this thread, that I will remove the comments and warn or take the next steps in the escalation procedure if you've already had a warning.

    We promote inclusivity, there will be LGBTIAQ+ character/characters in DbD - all this is confirmed by us, so I do not want to see any negative comments about this on this thread.

    Thank you.

  • @Mandy said:

    I'm going to step in on this thread now....we know what is going to happen and I want to put a nice little warning that if people start trying to bring this to a "there shouldn't be representation in DbD" into this thread, that I will remove the comments and warn or take the next steps in the escalation procedure if you've already had a warning.

    We promote inclusivity, there will be LGBTIAQ+ character/characters in DbD - all this is confirmed by us, so I do not want to see any negative comments about this on this thread.

    Thank you.

    Thank you Mandy, nice mod :)

  • I wonder if Bhvr will ever reveal who was the LGBT+ survivor among the first five.

  • @Mandy said:

    I'm going to step in on this thread now....we know what is going to happen and I want to put a nice little warning that if people start trying to bring this to a "there shouldn't be representation in DbD" into this thread, that I will remove the comments and warn or take the next steps in the escalation procedure if you've already had a warning.

    We promote inclusivity, there will be LGBTIAQ+ character/characters in DbD - all this is confirmed by us, so I do not want to see any negative comments about this on this thread.

    Thank you.

    20211109_083823.jpg

    Based

  • Im just going to remind you people, and BHVR to, that i hope you get ready for a LOT of controvertial treads, articles and twiter mob rage when you add any of this representation, i will remind you that theres still that absurdly dumb thing about "bubba its problematic" situation for the claudete face and how it blew out of proportion as "people are racist and doing hate plays againts black people", this is going to turn in to the same situation, a bunch of angry people claiming people are killing representative characters out of hate and malice and just use it as a shield to start clamoring for game changes and/or things like with bubba.

  • @Viamont said:

    Im just going to remind you people, and BHVR to, that i hope you get ready for a LOT of controvertial treads, articles and twiter mob rage when you add any of this representation, i will remind you that theres still that absurdly dumb thing about "bubba its problematic" situation for the claudete face and how it blew out of proportion as "people are racist and doing hate plays againts black people", this is going to turn in to the same situation, a bunch of angry people claiming people are killing representative characters out of hate and malice and just use it as a shield to start clamoring for game changes and/or things like with bubba.

    The positives outweigh the negatives imo, hope BHVR thinks the same

  • @AkiTheKitten said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2661107#Comment_2661107

    The positives outweigh the negatives imo, hope BHVR thinks the same

    we do

  • @ThanosPAWG said:

    I wonder if Bhvr will ever reveal who was the LGBT+ survivor among the first five.

    Is it confirmed one of them is? Because it's possible none of them are LGBT.

  • I love this thread but literally every time I see Jonah's face I burst out laughing it's too funny. Guy Fieri got a forehead upgrade

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660849#Comment_2660849

    Is it confirmed one of them is? Because it's possible none of them are LGBT.

    A long time ago way before I installed the game I heard about how in a dev stream one of them said that one of the five is LGBT+. Honestly if I had to guess my money's on Nea.

  • @ThanosPAWG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2661450#Comment_2661450

    A long time ago way before I installed the game I heard about how in a dev stream one of them said that one of the five is LGBT+. Honestly if I had to guess my money's on Nea.

    I heard that as well but never found the original source for that statement..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2661553#Comment_2661553

    I heard that as well but never found the original source for that statement..

    Same but I'm pretty sure that Bhvr would take it and roll with it even if they never said it so now the real question is who is the survivor and when will they reveal it?

  • I always assumed trickster was on the lgbteam. Nea too.

  • Here's how to PROPERLY add LGBT to DBD

    There was a man named John Smithers, he worked an office Job on Ohio to pay off his student loans and he lives with his husband.

    There. THAT is how you represent someone LGBT, as a normal person.

  • @bleep275 said:

    I always assumed trickster was on the lgbteam. Nea too.

    Trickster is just a KPop star and looks the way. But for neither is sexual orientation, gender or anything confirmed at all.


    @MrCalac123 said:

    Here's how to PROPERLY add LGBT to DBD

    There was a man named John Smithers, he worked an office Job on Ohio to pay off his student loans and he lives with his husband.

    There. THAT is how you represent someone LGBT, as a normal person.

    BHVR gets support from consultants to avoid using bad stereotypes unintentionally. And looking at how some of the lore was written (eg Legion tome or now Jonah’s backstory) maybe them getting support on that front may not be too bad..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2662954#Comment_2662954

    Trickster is just a KPop star and looks the way. But for neither is sexual orientation, gender or anything confirmed at all.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2662957#Comment_2662957

    BHVR gets support from consultants to avoid using bad stereotypes unintentionally. And looking at how some of the lore was written (eg Legion tome or now Jonah’s backstory) maybe them getting support on that front may not be too bad..

    What's wrong with Jonah's backstory?

  • Him being the first male Latin American/mexican(?) survivor that is also involved in war crimes somehow..

    actually I haven’t read it yet but only heard of it.

    I think it’s not the worst thing they could have done but it’s still a little bit concerning..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2662977#Comment_2662977

    Him being the first male Latin American/mexican(?) survivor that is also involved in war crimes somehow..

    actually I haven’t read it yet but only heard of it.

    I think it’s not the worst thing they could have done but it’s still a little bit concerning..

    What's your point? People from all walks of life can be bad people or involved in bad/unethical practices

    The fact that he, much like Yun-Jin, is bit more morally gray of a survivor makes them far more interesting than the likes of some of the others.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2662981#Comment_2662981

    What's your point? People from all walks of life can be bad people or involved in bad/unethical practices

    The fact that he, much like Yun-Jin, is bit more morally gray of a survivor makes them far more interesting than the likes of some of the others.

    Yeah but Mexican characters especially in American media are often portrayed as bad people.

    as i said i haven’t actually read it

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2662987#Comment_2662987

    Yeah but Mexican characters especially in American media are often portrayed as bad people.

    as i said i haven’t actually read it

    I mean no disrespect when I say this, but calling a characters lore bad without having read it is kind of silly.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2663001#Comment_2663001

    I mean no disrespect when I say this, but calling a characters lore bad without having read it is kind of silly.

    Good thing I didn’t call it bad then i guess.

  • Yeah I believe you but it seemed like you were implying it was bad/a bad stereotype for some reason. (Despite not having read it like you said.)

    I read Jonah's backstory and yeah I get why people might not like it but it's not offensive or stereotypical IMO.

  • @AkiTheKitten said:

    I know we're getting some type of LGBT representation, but what kind?

    Are we getting just gay/lesbian survivors or are we getting both killer and survivor?

    Are we getting trans characters too? Non-binary?

    Could we also get characters with non traditional body types? (Male character with a body type similar to Feng's, and vice versa)

    Thank you!

    So I'll be blunt, I don't understand why this is a huge deal in a game. And while I don't completely understand the LGBT+ community, I do agree they should be afforded the same dignity and respect as those who aren't (regardless of personal beliefs).

    So how many survivors/killers are we talking about? Because with the amount of different terms and definitions as well as the shear amount of pronouns there are, we could have an infinite amount of them. Where do you see a good balance?

  • @xTalon32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/296583/about-lgbt-representation

    So I'll be blunt, I don't understand why this is a huge deal in a game. And while I don't completely understand the LGBT+ community, I do agree they should be afforded the same dignity and respect as those who aren't (regardless of personal beliefs).

    So how many survivors/killers are we talking about? Because with the amount of different terms and definitions as well as the shear amount of pronouns there are, we could have an infinite amount of them. Where do you see a good balance?

    Even though I am not the OP I am gonna give my personal answer:

    there doesn’t need to be a definite number. Just not explicit exclusion anymore which the devs actually (unintentionally) did before. They always said they wouldn’t include any LGBTQ+ topics as well as sexual orientation etc. when asked for it. Which would have been a fine take honestly. But… there are multiple confirmed heterosexual relationships featured already. Beginning with the Nurse, which was the first full dlc i think.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2663198#Comment_2663198

    Even though I am not the OP I am gonna give my personal answer:

    there doesn’t need to be a definite number. Just not explicit exclusion anymore which the devs actually (unintentionally) did before. They always said they wouldn’t include any LGBTQ+ topics as well as sexual orientation etc. when asked for it. Which would have been a fine take honestly. But… there are multiple confirmed heterosexual relationships featured already. Beginning with the Nurse, which was the first full dlc i think.

    My thoughts exactly lol