Smartface Bubba doesnt need to be removed

There is nothing wrong with smartface as a cosmetic. Yes, some people use it as an additional way to target POC players, streamers, and survivors, but thats only because they GIVE the power to the cosmetic. Calling it "blackface bubba" is giving it power that it doesnt have without these complaints. Even if it gets removed, what does that solve? does that make all racist players quit? No. If people want to be racist in a game they will.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655612#Comment_2655612

    I've already addressed these in previous comments.

    But since you've asked, possible adjustments:

    • Change the cosmetic so Leatherface's skin isn't darker underneath the mask.
    • Or change the cosmetics so the Leatherface wears other aspect's of the survivors (e.g. Claudette's apron or glasses, Dwight's glasses etc).

    Why it needs adjusted:

    • The cosmetic is being used to harass and target black content creators/players playing as POC characters due to its resemblance to blackface.

    I think the first change is likely the best. There's no reason for such heavy shading underneath the mask.


    I don't see the changing of the cosmetic affecting the rate at which POC streamers are being harassed. If anything, it will likely make it worse for a time, then it will return to it's normal levels. I simply don't see the point for something that will not have a net gain.

  • Damn honestly after 1300~ hours in DbD it's the first time i hear thats even a thing. Im using the smartface mask on my Bubba aswell. I never really put any thoughts into that. That mask just stands out the most for me compared to the others. I mean it's just a cosmetic. But i guess now some endgame chats where i got accused of being a racist make much more sense to me. I don't care about skin color. If someone is cocky and trys to bm me the whole game and i had a bad day i might gonna face camp this person regardless of his race.

    It's sad that we still need to deal with stuff like this. It really is. And sometimes they seem to do it super obvious like in that Karen/Edgar clip. But also it's sad that alot of people jump to conclusions and make assumptions really fast. Just like a TTV who gets found in a locker and be like "Nah BS! Killer must be stream sniping!" (I know this is not the same i just try to prove a point". It's not always how it seems. A as.shole is not always a racist as.shole.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655589#Comment_2655589

    Sure!

    Smartface means a lot to me: Claudette is my second favorite Survivor and I mained her for a very long time. This mask was the first that I unlocked, way before Bubba's rework, which is one of my most despised changes btw. Since I bought Leatherface on my second day of playing, this cosmetic is also a reminder of better days in the Fog (around the time I unlocked it).

    No, I don't understand why people want it removed. What I do understand and actively support is banning racist players who use it for harassment. These people are nothing but scum that don't deserve to play that game. But removing a cosmetic because of horrible human beings? Never.

    Thanks for replying.

  • @El_Gingero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655569#Comment_2655569

    When I say you or yourselves, I’m essentially referring to every relevant person reading, not necessarily you specifically. My apologies.

    I have considered that with great depth and my conclusion is still the same. It’s just a cosmetic face. Bubba wears faces. Removing the only black face just because it could offend someone can be seen as racist itself and the prospect has already caused offence to several minorities in this thread. Bubba doesn’t care about ethnicity, he just wants to be pretty.

    I do fully understand and appreciate the issue though, whether or not it looks that way, but I’m taking more of a tough love stance than anything else.

    I know for a fact that although it may appease a small number of people, removing the cosmetic is not the answer. Those feeling offended will continue to feel offended, and they will look for the next thing to remove or censor, so on, without ever learning to deal with this stuff properly. And that’s a big deal because no matter how much anyone tries, racists will continue to exist and people will always be on the receiving end. To be truly free of this, one must work on themselves. Once they finally start dealing with this nastiness in a healthier way, they’ll realise they have all the power, and were simply giving it away.

    That being said I’m perfectly fine with the textures being fixed or each face being updated to more clearly represent each survivor.

    Good debate. Thanks for engaging. The below isn't directed at you. Just my conclusion based on general observations on this thread.

    I do find it interesting that on both sides, the larger volume of "anger" seems to come from the side of those wanting it to stay. I am forced to conclude that if we were debating the removal of any other cosmetic, there would be nowhere near this level of pushback, anger or stubbornness.

    Disappointment from some sure, But I can't help but feel the level of anger from those wanting it to stay is rather disproportionate to the impact of it being removed. Which concerns me.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655629#Comment_2655629

    Perhaps changing the cosmetic won't help, although it removes a tool that people use to be overtly racist. Also a number of POC streamers have expressed a desire for it to be changed. I'm just relaying the information here.

    I see, I'll try my best to not shoot the messenger then.

    I simply do not see the point if removing it does nothing to actually prevent people from targeting POC. Perhaps I'm being too logical and am not considering the emotional aspect of it.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655631#Comment_2655631

    I see, I'll try my best to not shoot the messenger then.

    I simply do not see the point if removing it does nothing to actually prevent people from targeting POC. Perhaps I'm being too logical and am not considering the emotional aspect of it.

    This is the whole crux of the debate to me.

    It's not about stopping people being racist (and definitely not about accusing people who use it of being), because it's removal won't do that.

    It is about whether the understandable emotional hurt it can cause, and seems to have caused, because of the historical context of blackface (yes I know Bubba isn't racist blah blah) and the insensitivity of it, warrants it's removal. I'm starting to lean that way, as I'm struggling to understand why anyone would fight so passionately against removing, given what has been outlined.

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655650#Comment_2655650

    This is the whole crux of the debate to me.

    It's not about stopping people being racist (and definitely not about accusing people who use it of being), because it's removal won't do that.

    It is about whether the understandable emotional hurt it can cause, and seems to have caused, because of the historical context of blackface (yes I know Bubba isn't racist blah blah) and the insensitivity of it, warrants it's removal. I'm starting to lean that way, as I'm struggling to understand why anyone would fight so passionately against removing, given what has been outlined.

    If I weren't afraid of my own race being drawn into it, I'd say that people fight against it based on the principle.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655681#Comment_2655681

    If I weren't afraid of my own race being drawn into it, I'd say that people fight against it based on the principle.

    Thats what I think I don't understand. People asking for it to be removed it seems are doing so to avoid being hurt and reminded of pretty distasteful part of history (and present), and even perhaps their own experiencesof discrimination. I am not having a go at those wanting it to stay. I'm saying I don't understand what principle would override that, given we are taking about a video game cosmetic

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655685#Comment_2655685

    Thats what I think I don't understand. People asking for it to be removed it seems are doing so to avoid being hurt and reminded of pretty distasteful part of history (and present), and even perhaps their own experiencesof discrimination. I am not having a go at those wanting it to stay. I'm saying I don't understand what principle would override that, given we are taking about a video game cosmetic

    If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's the principle of not removing something that isn't really causing issues for the vast majority of players AND because removing it isn't going to actually help them in any way.

    It would just be removing it because "they" said to remove it. Plus, I don't even think it actually counts, considering the literal definition of blackface.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655696#Comment_2655696

    If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's the principle of not removing something that isn't really causing issues for the vast majority of players AND because removing it isn't going to actually help them in any way.

    It would just be removing it because "they" said to remove it. Plus, I don't even think it actually counts, considering the literal definition of blackface.

    That's personally what makes me uncomfortable as an argument. "The majority think its fine, so who cares about the minority it upsets or offends". That's not a society or opinion that sits well with me, especially when its over a video game cosmetic (and not something more serious).

    And if it is upsetting to anyone I fully understand the context of why. Therefore if it was removed it would absolutely help, in that it would stop those feelings and show a bit of sensitivity.

    I'm not getting into the debate of what is and isn't technically blackface, because that's irrelevant if it causes (understandably), the same level of upset.

    Not having a go, don't misunderstand. Just my opinion.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655696#Comment_2655696

    If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's the principle of not removing something that isn't really causing issues for the vast majority of players AND because removing it isn't going to actually help them in any way.

    It would just be removing it because "they" said to remove it. Plus, I don't even think it actually counts, considering the literal definition of blackface.

    The fact people are even arguing is ridiculous.

    "This has caused me harm"

    "Ok, but it doesn't cause ME harm therefore it is fine"

    It's a stupid skin which would cause 0 harm for it to be removed, whereas with it still in the game it is still being used to target black people.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655708#Comment_2655708

    The fact people are even arguing is ridiculous.

    "This has caused me harm"

    "Ok, but it doesn't cause ME harm therefore it is fine"

    It's a stupid skin which would cause 0 harm for it to be removed, whereas with it still in the game it is still being used to target black people.

    Do you think that removing it will decrease the amount POC are targeted by...unsavory members of the community?

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655708#Comment_2655708

    That's personally what makes me uncomfortable as an argument. "The majority think its fine, so who cares about the minority it upsets or offends". That's not a society or opinion that sits well with me, especially when its over a video game cosmetic (and not something more serious).

    And if it is upsetting to anyone I fully understand the context of why. Therefore if it was removed it would absolutely help, in that it would stop those feelings and show a bit of sensitivity.

    I'm not getting into the debate of what is and isn't technically blackface, because that's irrelevant if it causes (understandably), the same level of upset.

    Not having a go, don't misunderstand. Just my opinion.

    It does matter if it is or isn't.

    But I'm really not interested in participating in something so charged.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655717#Comment_2655717

    Do you think that removing it will decrease the amount POC are targeted by...unsavory members of the community?

    The fact that the majority of PoC people I know see it as literal black face I don't see any reason to keep it than to appease some folk who want to fight some useless skin that is better off forgotten about.

    It's crazy to me how you can have dozens and dozens of PoC telling you this is wrong and you still have to argue because you just don't understand.


    What an embarrassment this community is.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655717#Comment_2655717

    Do you think that removing it will decrease the amount POC are targeted by...unsavory members of the community?

    How many times do we need to sya that taking away this tool makes them have to stop or become explicit about it, one of which decreases racist activity and one of which increases clear racist activity leading to a large number of bans leading to decreased racist activity.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655716#Comment_2655716

    It does matter if it is or isn't.

    But I'm really not interested in participating in something so charged.

    If people perceive it so, I'm not going to invalidate their feelings and experiences by waving a dictionary in their face.

    I think we clearly disagree here. Happy to keep this civil and end it now.

    Appreciate the debate.

  • Lore-wise Bubba just does that, the only racism is caused from the intent that players have, and lingering stigma.

    Design-wise I can't understand what people are talking about with Bubba being black, the mask is a full-covering front and back (you can tell since his ears are covered by skin).

    Topic-wise it acts as a catalyst for discussion about racism.

    Troll-wise you'll just have people using Caleb to role-play as a slave hunter if it gets removed.

    Overall while it's #########, you can at least point to it as "Why are you using blackface huh? Don't you know..." if someone tunnels only the black characters in a Trial and then use that as a point of discussion on forums etc. Rather than just complaining that they got tunneled and they feel it was because they weren't caucasian (at which point you can kinda just dismiss that, because they're just being crazy, this game just got rid of the racism).

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655728#Comment_2655728

    How many times do we need to sya that taking away this tool makes them have to stop or become explicit about it, one of which decreases racist activity and one of which increases clear racist activity leading to a large number of bans leading to decreased racist activity.

    I'm not interested in discussing this. I said that.

  • @DangerScouse said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655729#Comment_2655729

    If people perceive it so, I'm not going to invalidate their feelings and experiences by waving a dictionary in their face.

    I think we clearly disagree here. Happy to keep this civil and end it now.

    Appreciate the debate.

    Same, appreciate it.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655740#Comment_2655740

    I'm not interested in discussing this. I said that.

    *asks question

    *gets answer which has been said time and time again in the thread

    *begins to discuss it before backtracking and removing comment

    Polish_20211123_103520878.jpg


  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655728#Comment_2655728

    The fact that the majority of PoC people I know see it as literal black face I don't see any reason to keep it than to appease some folk who want to fight some useless skin that is better off forgotten about.

    It's crazy to me how you can have dozens and dozens of PoC telling you this is wrong and you still have to argue because you just don't understand.

    What an embarrassment this community is.

    I'm shutting this down now. I'm simply not interested in arguing over this.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655752#Comment_2655752

    *asks question

    *gets answer which has been said time and time again in the thread

    *begins to discuss it before backtracking and removing comment

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/3F79YE6LQC0S/polish-20211123-103520878.jpg

    Oh, apologies.

    I thought you responded to my comment which specifically said I wasn't interested in discussing it.

    And yes, I did edit it, because I thought better of it.


    No point in arguing when there is no reasonable expectation of changing someone's mind.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655737#Comment_2655737

    I'm shutting this down now. I'm simply not interested in arguing over this.

    Yeah seems 100% not worth it. Nothing good can come from it. But I do enjoy the show

  • So are you saying me that a not well known streamer (only 1k followers) is getting constantly purposefully targeted by Bubbas wearing the Claudette cosmetic? Kind of hard to believe (send me links to streams where it happened, I didn't see links on this thread, but didn't check all the pages). Sounds more like an attempt to get visibility (based on the length of this thread it was successful). The first video that I saw on the streamer's profile was flashlight clicking at Bubba... No wonder if you get face camped after your annoying clicking.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655728#Comment_2655728

    The fact that the majority of PoC people I know see it as literal black face I don't see any reason to keep it than to appease some folk who want to fight some useless skin that is better off forgotten about.

    It's crazy to me how you can have dozens and dozens of PoC telling you this is wrong and you still have to argue because you just don't understand.

    What an embarrassment this community is.

    The majority of PoC people I know thinks it isn't offensive.

    So far the "dozens and dozens of PoC" I've seen that are "offended" aren't really PoC, are white people talking about their "PoC friends" being offended.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    So are you saying me that a not well known streamer (only 1k followers) is getting constantly purposefully targeted by Bubbas wearing the Claudette cosmetic? Kind of hard to believe (send me links to streams where it happened, I didn't see links on this thread, but didn't check all the pages). Sounds more like an attempt to get visibility (based on the length of this thread it was successful). The first video that I saw on the streamer's profile was flashlight clicking at Bubba... No wonder if you get face camped after your annoying clicking.

    Tani? We're ignoring MiladyConfetti and Karen then?

    Also if you look at the clip it was uploaded long after the tweets on Bubba 😶😶

  • @fogdonkey said:

    So are you saying me that a not well known streamer (only 1k followers) is getting constantly purposefully targeted by Bubbas wearing the Claudette cosmetic? Kind of hard to believe (send me links to streams where it happened, I didn't see links on this thread, but didn't check all the pages). Sounds more like an attempt to get visibility (based on the length of this thread it was successful). The first video that I saw on the streamer's profile was flashlight clicking at Bubba... No wonder if you get face camped after your annoying clicking.

    It wasn’t only about that one streamer though. ‚SistasOfTheFog‘ for example is a community of black women (and I think including others like non-binary people) that have expressed their feelings and experiences about it as well. I am personally not watching streams much at all so I haven’t directly witnessed harassments like that. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655764#Comment_2655764

    Tani? We're ignoring MiladyConfetti and Karen then?

    Also if you look at the clip it was uploaded long after the tweets on Bubba 😶😶

    Well. I guess it’s time you give Tani the new information about her: she is white and not black.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655764#Comment_2655764

    It wasn’t only about that one streamer though. ‚SistasOfTheFog‘ for example is a community of black women (and I think including others like non-binary people) that have expressed their feelings and experiences about it as well. I am personally not watching streams much at all so I haven’t directly witnessed harassments like that. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

    "Black women, femmes, and non-binary content creators" is I believe how they describe themselves

  • Just a quick reminder to keep this a conversation and not a fight, let's stay civil, we can have different opinions, but there is no need to attack one another.

  • @Rizzo said:

    Just a quick reminder to keep this a conversation and not a fight, let's stay civil, we can have different opinions, but there is no need to attack one another.

    I respect the attempt to keep civility, but I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle.

  • Well we have @ReikoMori from the start of the thread, Karen and MiladyConfetti have both been mentioned before so that's at least 4 I could think of in less time it took for me to write this comment. Wait we have Lilliepie actually so there's a fifth.

    I'm sure I could find more for you.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655801#Comment_2655801

    I'm done with this discussion- wait no let me comment just once more, oh just one more time, oh and again something entirely unrelated-

    Oh, no, I'm watching this and observing.

    I was just done actively participating in the topic discussion and rather chose to comment something rather lighthearted.

    Apparently, that was a mistake. I shall refrain from doing so in the future.

  • then don’t ignore the fact that others exist as well maybe? Also I am pretty sure for the most people you are referring to you don’t even know if they are white or not but you are assuming.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655806#Comment_2655806

    Well we have @ReikoMori from the start of the thread, Karen and MiladyConfetti have both been mentioned before so that's at least 4 I could think of in less time it took for me to write this comment. Wait we have Lilliepie actually so there's a fifth.

    I'm sure I could find more for you.

    Any reason why you left @AkiTheKitten out of your comment? Or all the other PoC people on both twitter, reddit etc that don't have the same opinion?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655806#Comment_2655806

    then don’t ignore the fact that others exist as well maybe? Also I am pretty sure for the most people you are referring to you don’t even know if they are white or not but you are assuming.

    I'm not really into assuming people's race, since in all honestly it shouldn't matter. I'm not really into identity politics and diving people by their skin color.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655810#Comment_2655810

    Any reason why you left @AkiTheKitten out of your comment? Or all the other PoC people on both twitter, reddit etc that don't have the same opinion?

    Yes, actually. Because you asked specifically for the people who have an issue with it.

    Due to them not having an issue, as has been made quite clear, I decided that it wasn't pertinent to include them in a list of people who do have an issue.

    It'd be a bit like including every vegemite hater in a list of people who actually like it. Completely nonsensical and unrelated to the point at hand.

    But credit for trying. You really did try that.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655813#Comment_2655813

    I'm not really into assuming people's race, since in all honestly it shouldn't matter. I'm not really into identity politics and diving people by their skin color.

    Sorry, but you started it, talking about the dozens and dozens (you assume) white to talk against it etc.

    if you want to refrain from that comment that’s very much fine by me.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655814#Comment_2655814

    Yes, actually. Because you asked specifically for the people who have an issue with it.

    Due to them not having an issue, as has been made quite clear, I decided that it wasn't pertinent to include them in a list of people who do have an issue.

    It'd be a bit like including every vegemite hater in a list of people who actually like it. Completely nonsensical and unrelated to the point at hand.

    This is not about vegemite, this is about people thinking a badly textured cosmetic is racist and certain white people pick and choosing which PoC are right and the ones who are not.

    I find it quite tasteless speaking over minorities when they can do it themselves. Making a forum account is free and takes up to 2 minutes.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655816#Comment_2655816

    Sorry, but you started it, talking about the dozens and dozens (you assume) white to talk against it etc.

    if you want to refrain from that comment that’s very much fine by me.

    I didn't start with the "dozens and dozens", I literally quoted someone who said that.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655817#Comment_2655817

    This is not about vegemite, this is about people thinking a badly textured cosmetic is racist and certain white people pick and choosing which PoC are right and the ones who are not.

    I find it quite tasteless speaking over minorities when they can do it themselves. Making a forum account is free and takes up to 2 minutes.

    "This isn't about vegemite"

    Screenshot_20211123_145825.jpg

    And with the treatment they'd have gotten in this thread? Yeah I absolutely can't blame them for wanting to stay very far away.

    But good job not addressing my point at all! With all that deflecting you must a pretty sick tennis player

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655820#Comment_2655820

    "This isn't about vegemite"

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/C104UPEE45GZ/screenshot-20211123-145825.jpg

    And with the treatment they'd have gotten in this thread? Yeah I absolutely can't blame them for wanting to stay very far away.

    Which treatment have they gotten in this thread besides some of you guys acting like they can't speak for themselves and need random people on the internet to defend them and talk over them?

  • I don't see an issue with the cosmetic but I'm not a black person myself so i don't think my opinion holds much weight, but if a lot of people want it changed to another type of unlockable i wouldn't mind.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655819#Comment_2655819

    I didn't start with the "dozens and dozens", I literally quoted someone who said that.

    Yeah. But you started the assumption about the skin color of those people being white even though they actually were referred to PoC by the person you quoted.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655823#Comment_2655823

    Yeah. But you started the assumption about the skin color of those people being white even though they actually were referred to PoC by the person you quoted.

    I didn't assume their skin color, I know the people talking instead of them are white though.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655826#Comment_2655826

    Which treatment have they gotten in this thread besides some of you guys acting like they can't speak for themselves and need random people on the internet to defend them and talk over them?

    Idk people being like "lol that never happens" even when others and I have linked directly to them talking about their experiences instead of just paraphrasing it doesn't seem like a wonderful impression

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655835#Comment_2655835

    I didn't assume their skin color, I know the people talking instead of them are white though.

    oh lol. Okay. And that’s why I said you gotta pass the Marigoria test to call yourself black.

    Edit: GBK has provided several people with links. Maybe stop ignoring those people? Also for most of the forum users, you really don’t know the skin colors.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655838#Comment_2655838

    oh lol. Okay. And that’s why I said you gotta pass the Marigoria test to call yourself black.

    Again, which test? I literally know how the person who said "dozens and dozens" of people looks like.

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2655843#Comment_2655843

    Again, which test? I literally know how the person who said "dozens and dozens" of people looks like.

    And? That’s one person that was referring to other people.

1 … 4 5 6 7