I convinced two of my friends to play DBD...

Three days later they quit and won't be coming back.

Every game they faced nothing but meta perk killers with their best add-ons. I went perkless when I played with them to make it more fair to the killers. They had never played before and didn't understand what Ruin meant or where it might be found etc.

To make it worse over two thirds of our/their matches were Pinhead. It got to a point where they would just dc every time we faced Pinhead because my friends had absolutely no chance against him.

Best part was that my friends didn't get to escape once. And believe me I tried everything I could to get them out.

So yeah, they won't be coming back and I have to continue playing in solo Q. This game is damn harsh on new players.

Comments

  • The game is generally very harsh in new players, the grind is insane.

  • People who stick around in dbd are generally those who have some awareness of how the game can become after one learns at least the basics. Awareness they get because they watched some content creators before jumping in. That knowledge pulls them through the dark times of being introduced to the game.

    New players in any game should expect to lose often, but dbd is extremely harsh in this regard for the fact that it doesn't offer almost any learning or practicing resource in game. With the result that players don't just feel like they're losing, but moreso that they're helpless and there's no point in going forward.

    I suggest you give your friends some videos to watch and then you play in a custom lobby. If you jump into public games, it's better if you use a smurf account and die to egc to contain mmr.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    The game has become too killer sided. Imagine being a new player and finally getting that shiney red key, only to find it is totally useless because killers will slug for the 4K.

    Imagine being a new killer and getting matched against meta perk swfs right off the bat who have gens done in two minutes and tbagging at the gates like holding m1 on a gen and thinks looping a killer who doesn't know what they are doing is cool. Just consider that for a moment. And can't say ######### about killer sided game when Spirit is getting nerfed and Deathslinger for some reason, while Boon totems are about to add another objectivw for killer in a role that is already heavy with time management.

  • @Mistakesweremade said:

    This is the DBD paradox. This game is just not meant to be played competitively yet many people seem to treat it like high level League of Legends or something. Like, jesus christ man, chill, how is repairing all gens in 5 minutes fun at all?

    This game is kinda designed for serious play. For killer they have to work hard to get all the kills. Kinda need to if your at the same level. Survivor it's the live another day aspect. Also your going against something that you have no way of combating besides the exit gate. The base idea is serious. The perks, Maps, Items, and killers is what makes it less competitive.

  • @Orion said:

    Maybe the problem is that you were playing with them, thereby giving them unfair matches due to how the matchmaking works.

    Sounds like a matchmaking problem to me

  • You might need to smurf with your friends till they understand the basics

  • I actively told my boyfriend not to start playing this game because he was going to lose all the time and it takes forever to get somewhat decent at it. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone just because of how painful it is to learn.

    But ofc he wanted to prove me wrong and he started playing anyway. Now he loves it.

  • I convinced my best friend and his wife to play Dbd...


    The first 2 matches were awful...


    Than we started a custom game, with me as killer... I told them the basic and a few Tipps... Then I let them play alone because of my rating... Now they love the game and don't care about losing a few matches, they get better and better every time...


    Yeah it is hard 4 new players... But if you as an experienced player put some afford in it, there is a good chance they will love it sooner or later...


    (Sry my English is #########)

  • It's not, though.

    There are basically three ways for a matchmaker to account for groups of people with multiple MMRs:

    1. Average out the MMRs. This has the potential drawback that if the MMRs of the group are too disparate, people with low MMRs are going to be severely outmatched.
    2. Use the lower MMRs. This has the drawback of making it easier for people with high MMRs smurf.
    3. Use the higher MMRs. This has the same drawback as 1, but more "extreme".

    There is no perfect solution.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2561665#Comment_2561665

    It's not, though.

    There are basically three ways for a matchmaker to account for groups of people with multiple MMRs:

    1. Average out the MMRs. This has the potential drawback that if the MMRs of the group are too disparate, people with low MMRs are going to be severely outmatched.
    2. Use the lower MMRs. This has the drawback of making it easier for people with high MMRs smurf.
    3. Use the higher MMRs. This has the same drawback as 1, but more "extreme".

    There is no perfect solution.

    It's a matchmaking problem. If the matchmaking can't balance out swf teams with a killer then it's not good. Simple.

  • @Apexgnifrums said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562833#Comment_2562833

    It's a matchmaking problem. If the matchmaking can't balance out swf teams with a killer then it's not good. Simple.

    It's a mathematical problem, if anything.

    If you have a way of making sure players of wildly different skill levels who all queued up together get put up against a human opponent that feels fair to all of them, by all means, patent the idea and sell it. You'll be rich in no time.

  • @chargernick85 said:

    I CONVINCED TWO OF MY FRIENDS TO PLAY DBD...

    You bastard.

    I second this, why did you do this to them? Do you hate your friends that much?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562975#Comment_2562975

    It's a mathematical problem, if anything.

    If you have a way of making sure players of wildly different skill levels who all queued up together get put up against a human opponent that feels fair to all of them, by all means, patent the idea and sell it. You'll be rich in no time.

    "patent the idea and you are rich" classic phrase of this age to make something seem impossible.

    Its absolutely possible, wage concept of this exists in games like dark souls 3. But that stuff ain't in your scope ofc.

  • @Apexgnifrums said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562995#Comment_2562995

    "patent the idea and you are rich" classic phrase of this age to make something seem impossible.

    Its absolutely possible, wage concept of this exists in games like dark souls 3. But that stuff ain't in your scope ofc.

    "patent the idea and you are rich" classic phrase of this age to make something seem impossible.

    No, it's for you to show your idea instead of being very vague about it.

    Its absolutely possible, wage concept of this exists in games like dark souls 3. But that stuff ain't in your scope ofc.

    My multiple playthroughs of DS3 would disagree.

    Its matchmaking works by SL, last I checked, and does not take into account actual skill. If I'm SL 50, for instance, I get matched with people around the same SL, no matter if they're complete newbies or people who do SL1 speedruns for kicks.

  • I also invited my two friends to play, but they did not want to pump so many characters for the sake of good perks and they just left.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2563132#Comment_2563132

    "patent the idea and you are rich" classic phrase of this age to make something seem impossible.

    No, it's for you to show your idea instead of being very vague about it.

    Its absolutely possible, wage concept of this exists in games like dark souls 3. But that stuff ain't in your scope ofc.

    My multiple playthroughs of DS3 would disagree.

    Its matchmaking works by SL, last I checked, and does not take into account actual skill. If I'm SL 50, for instance, I get matched with people around the same SL, no matter if they're complete newbies or people who do SL1 speedruns for kicks.

    See, you aren't even aware about the specific thing dark souls 3 does which I was referring to. I'm dark souls 3 and dark souls 2 there is a scaling in the background involved. Such a system can be extracted out and used in a modified way aswell.

  • @Apexgnifrums said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2563144#Comment_2563144

    See, you aren't even aware about the specific thing dark souls 3 does which I was referring to. I'm dark souls 3 and dark souls 2 there is a scaling in the background involved. Such a system can be extracted out and used in a modified way aswell.

    You mean the scaling of stats when matching people of different SLs? Maybe if you spoke plainly and were specific about what you're talking about, we could actually discuss this.

1 2 ›