Boon totems are not what killer mains think

The real truth of Boon totems is they are generally weak. For the amount of time that you must spend in looking around for a dull totem, then for the amount of time to bless it, only for a killer to hear it from a mile away and instantly turn it off. If a survivor continues to re-bless it, you can actually cost your entire team the game. You can do a gen instead. When I tested these out on the PTB, killers found the totems easy because they are so loud. I got no benefit from these Boon totems because they hardly lasted. Survivors reblessing these totems won killer their games. Every match ended in a 4K.

They need some buffs so they are worthwhile to use. Turn down their sound so killer can't hear them from so far away. If a survivor has to search HEX totems, then killers should have to do the same. It is not fair a killer can instantly snuff out totems, which means they have no penalty.

Their existence are somewhat a buff to killer. A survivor not doing the objective but having to find a totem to activate their perk. The killer can hear and disable them way too easy. Killer HEX perks are instantly powerful with a great disadvantage to survivors automatically.

If they are not buffed, I don't see these perks becoming meta or hardly ever used.

Comments

  • I don't like these boon totems and I play more survivor lol. Perks based on totems is not my style. I find them useless. Because I'm very unlucky as killer. They will find my hex very fast. And as survivor...I'm not interested in boon totems :/

  • Most hex perks are pretty garbage considering how easy they are knocked out by halfway decent survivors.

    Only time I play a match, survivor or killer, where the totems stayed up is everyone died to quick or we just couldn't be bothered, and yes I mean both outcomes regardless of side I am on.

    Boon totems just seem like a way to drag out games where survivors 3 gen themselves.

  • @cantelope said:

    Most hex perks are pretty garbage considering how easy they are knocked out by halfway decent survivors.

    Only time I play a match, survivor or killer, where the totems stayed up is everyone died to quick or we just couldn't be bothered, and yes I mean both outcomes regardless of side I am on.

    Boon totems just seem like a way to drag out games where survivors 3 gen themselves.

    And a 3 gen is an automatic win for the killer and that shouldn't be. Instead of nerfing the hatch again, it should have been buffed to give opportunity.

  • @Sakurra said:

    I don't like these boon totems and I play more survivor lol. Perks based on totems is not my style. I find them useless. Because I'm very unlucky as killer. They will find my hex very fast. And as survivor...I'm not interested in boon totems :/

    I don't use hex perks for the same reason but i like boon perks because you have control of them and can be re-blessed.

  • Boon perks should be disabled until the devs figure out how to balance them properly.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    Boon perks should be disabled until the devs figure out how to balance them properly.

    They're on the PTB...

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2537952#Comment_2537952

    And a 3 gen is an automatic win for the killer and that shouldn't be. Instead of nerfing the hatch again, it should have been buffed to give opportunity.

    Okay, that has nothing to do with boon totems tho.

  • This are the main problem about boon totems and why they are broken.


    1. 1 vs 4 = this mean 4 boon totems.

    2. 4 survivors can rebless any totem even with a hex.

    3.The healing totem is broken its give like 100% healing and staks with others perks and healing items.


    Boon mechanic is nothing new. Its called hex perks and they are inside a totem because they are strong and you cant hex new totems.


    What behavior daves do is lets call it new and with any restrictions to take the money of idiots survivors and nerf it to the grownd.


    This is the behaviot excuses after a month " after analasing carefully all matches we see a scape rate of 100%. We decided to nerfit and make it like the killer hex. After a ptb and 3 more weaks Bam nerfed.

  • Yeah, I don't see what the huge deal is exactly.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2537952#Comment_2537952

    And a 3 gen is an automatic win for the killer and that shouldn't be. Instead of nerfing the hatch again, it should have been buffed to give opportunity.

    This is technically known as 'whataboutism'.

    Nobody mentioned a 3-gen until you did. You claimed that hexes were superior to boons innately, and someone else pointed out that most hexes are utterly useless.

    Rather than rebut this, you changed the topic.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    Boon perks should be disabled until the devs figure out how to balance them properly.

    'Balancing them properly', by this forum's standards, would have them injure survivors and slow them down as opposed to helping them.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538012#Comment_2538012

    'Balancing them properly', by this forum's standards, would have them injure survivors and slow them down as opposed to helping them.

    To be fair, even if it injured them, they could just heal up with the boon. Instant value.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2537998#Comment_2537998

    This is technically known as 'whataboutism'.

    Nobody mentioned a 3-gen until you did. You claimed that hexes were superior to boons innately, and someone else pointed out that most hexes are utterly useless.

    Rather than rebut this, you changed the topic.

    He said Boon totems causes survivors or force them into a "3 gen" which is an automatic win for the killer. If this is true, not only are Boon totems detrimental to use because killers can hear them so easily and takes no effort to instantly snuff them, but it also forces survivors into unwinnable games.

    Killers need a lot more penalty to snuff them, instead of "just walking nearby and take only 1 sec to disable them"

  • @Nathan13 said:

    Boon perks should be disabled until the devs figure out how to balance them properly.

    Perhaps Ruin, Undying, and Tinkerer should be disabled then because they are broken. Huntress too, until hitboxes are fixed.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538012#Comment_2538012

    Perhaps Ruin, Undying, and Tinkerer should be disabled then because they are broken. Huntress too, until hitboxes are fixed.

    Sure let’s disable 2 perks that are usually gone within the first minute of the match anyway.

  • They can be a benefit or a detriment to both sides. I think it increases the complexity of truly being efficient. Granted, I don't think they need to be buffed. If anything, they need to be nerfed in radius and their ability to stack. It's kinda crazy that one perk can undo multiple others on the killer's end. On top of it, we can't destroy dull totems. :shrug: it's a tradeoff.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538859#Comment_2538859

    Sure let’s disable 2 perks that are usually gone within the first minute of the match anyway.

    That's very rare.

  • "If a survivor has to search HEX totems, then killers should have to do the same. It is not fair a killer can instantly snuff out totems, which means they have no penalty."

    Err... no dude!

    1) When a survivor snuffs out the hex totem, that killer perk is lost. It's gone. It's not coming back. That's 1/4 of the killer's load-out eliminated. Of course it's valuation, and should be hard(er) to find.

    2) Survivor boons don't get destroyed, they can rebless. The survivor loses nothing except a little time in having to rebless the totem again. The killer can't break the totems so this is literally 100% in the survivor's control. The killer has literally no counter-play to this other than to keep turning it off.

    3) The killer has enough of a job to hunt for four different independent survivors, who could be on multiple gens, without also having to look for totems as well given the current balance of the game. There's no way a reasonable player can expect this to be "fair" for one killer to juggle and manage everything the survivors (who may very well be coordinating on comms) are up to.

    Personally I think boons are ridiculous... they just add benefit to the survivor with no ability for the killer to negate it to any real degree.

  • You seem to live in an existence where DBD is 4 surivors vs 4 killers if you think boon totems need buffs and are easily removed by the killer.

    I'd love to see a day you call something survivors get too strong.

  • And Sluzzy finaly made his Boon Totems post. I was wondering when you were gonna do it.

  • This content has been removed.
  • Hello Slozzy, it makes me happy to see that you are still advocating for survivor welfare.

    Anyway, yes boon totem effects need to be map wide and it needs to take as long as a hex to cleanse. Currently the killer can literally Totem tap a blessed totem as if it's nothing while it takes forever to bless a totem. They also sound like airplanes so it's obvious for the killer to find.

    So let's see, let me do the math:

    Takes forever + totem ÷ totem tap by killer× airplane sound = irrelevant garbo we'll make it wannabe doppelganger perk.

    It's in desperate need of buffs, otherwise no one will use it.

  • @Rockotheawesomepug said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/284986/boon-totems-are-not-what-killer-mains-think

    The healing is broken and not leaving scratch marks or auras is crazy. Being able to have 4 of these on the map and rebless them causes them to be overpowered. If you play against a swf your own level then they know what they're doing, 3 rushing gens while 1 loops you. The last thing I need is to know that it'll be harder to find survivors or track them, and that I can't rely on spreading damage to apply pressure, such as legion does.

    Hypothetically, I go into a frenzy and hit 1 survivor then hit another and get pallet stunned then Im doing decent. I have 2 people injured, 1 needs to mend and get help to heal or take a while due to selfcare, and Im chasing the other one. With this, the one person mends as usual but they can heal by themselves and insanely quickly due to the totems. Lets say Im lucky/good at the game and at the same time I get the down and hook their friend. BBQ doesnt activate due to totems, 2 gens pop and bitter murmer doesn't activate. I chase someone, someone gets the unhook, instaheal, 3 people on gens while Im chasing this other survivor. Rinse and repeat. You cannot apply decent pressure while spreading damage and cannot leave people alone to waste time healing eachother. The result will be facecamping or tunneling, in an attempt to get 1 person to die and gain/regain control over the match.. However; Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike, etc. Not to mention people will be running genrushing builds along side this. People will most likely make their toolbox last as long as possible and repair as quickly as possible, only to hop into a locker for 12 seconds and finish the next gen in no time.

    Do you see the issue now? It's hard enough to apply pressure, but to go out of your way and break chase or not hunt survivors to destroy a totem, which will be blessed in the next 30 seconds.

    Differences between Hexes and Boons

    Hex; Semi-Powerful but must be earned to get them, such as getting hooks, hits, and tokens. These are a 1 time use and they are extremely easy to find, having dedicated spots to spawn and always spawn in a pentagon pattern. Survivors have perks to find these totems with ease. Survivors can and will spawn beside a hex totem (has happened to me several times). Usually gets little value out of them due to long build up, takes up one perk slot, and can/will be broken by survivors in the first 5 minutes of the match. I can and will go through every reason why all hex perks are absolute garbage if I must.

    Boon; Powerful and do not have to be earned. Able to place it on any totem, even hexes, meaning the killer won't spawn beside it. Infinite to use, not having to waist another perk slot to be able to do so (looking at Undying which is hot garbage). Negates several of the killer's perks and other tools to find survivors and apply pressure. Guaranteed value since it will not waste a perk slot since it can't be gotten rid of permanently.

    Why is healing and hiding the auras crazy? It's really about time they released a perk that finally counters auras a little bit. Aura perks are OP. It's basically a wallhack where the killer has the upper hand.

    The longer the Killer HEX stays active the more it is winning the killer the match. Ruin is the big one. Devour Hope suddenly causes everyone to stop doing the objective, in a panic, now the killer has free NOED for simply doing the objective. Survivor must stop doing theirs.

    They'll have to be able to rebless and they need to be better than Self-Care or why not just use Self-Care so you know the killer can't disable it?

    For Boons to work, survivor must avoid the objective to find a totem to activate it. This can take substantial time giving killer a huge advantage already especially against a rusher. Killer can hear it from a long ways and disable it with no effort. Right now, their only benefits is healing and hiding auras. While these are great effects, I don't think we can compare that to "Insta-Down perks" and "gen regression".

  • Let's goooo new Sluzzy post!!!!!

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538279#Comment_2538279

    He said Boon totems causes survivors or force them into a "3 gen" which is an automatic win for the killer. If this is true, not only are Boon totems detrimental to use because killers can hear them so easily and takes no effort to instantly snuff them, but it also forces survivors into unwinnable games.

    Killers need a lot more penalty to snuff them, instead of "just walking nearby and take only 1 sec to disable them"

    That's not what I said tho.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538012#Comment_2538012

    Perhaps Ruin, Undying, and Tinkerer should be disabled then because they are broken. Huntress too, until hitboxes are fixed.

    Recently, the developers have been following your posts and implementing a lot of your changes. For example, you asked for wraith's lunge to be weakened and his All-seeing blood to be weakened and you got it.

    You've also asked for Undying+Ruin synergy to be weakened and you got it. I am not sure if you actually bother to read Hex:Undying, but Undying only transfers totems when totems are Cleansed. When a boon totem is activated on hex totem, you are not cleansing the totem, as a result, Undying does not transfer the hex as the totem was never broken.

    For some reason, your still unhappy. ~shrug~

    I used to think that your posts were just a joke, but given recent changes, a new found respect has to be given.

  • I actually agree. I think the overall strength of Boon Totems are being blown way out of proportion from what I saw on PTB. Survivors have to invest a lot of time to their Boons, which I think is great as it encourages them to do more secondary objectives which pull them off of gens. (Sure, they're a bit annoying for the Killer, but Boons don't take them much time to cleanse by any means, and if someone is doing Boons or healing in a Boon area, they're not on gens.)

    Imho I think the only thing that they need to adjust with Boons is the possibility of the Aura of the Boon not being visible to all Survivors, and adjustments to how other Killer perks function with it. (Because like, Retribution should still go off from Blessing a totem imho, and NOED should still be able to proct if you cleanse a bone as Killer when all Totems where taken on the map as the final gen popped.)

    Idk, I think they're really not in a bad spot by any means and will do a great job of shaking up gameplay for both sides, and they don't really need too many tweaks.