What is the purpose of having 21 killers if you can only compete with 3?

I can't play with different killers if they can't compete in high ranks, these killers just depend on the survivor team to be bad to be able to do something if they are good in 4 minutes This ends.

I also play as a survivor and it's the same really the high must mmr things where you must work. But with buffs like that of the tramper, this is not good

Comments

  • Variety. That's it.

  • I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

  • @crixus006 said:

    I can't play with different killers if they can't compete in high ranks, these killers just depend on the survivor team to be bad to be able to do something if they are good in 4 minutes This ends.

    I also play as a survivor and it's the same really the high must mmr things where you must work. But with buffs like that of the tramper, this is not good

    Skill based match making. If you cant get good results in your game with a certaint killer, you wont play against high MMR. But you get fair matches nevertheless. So i dont understand your issue unless you are a competetive player (the 0,1% who are completly irrelevant for the game)

  • 1% of the game with the stereotypical builds and killers worthy of tournaments < 99% of the game with casual play and more diversity in killers and builds

  • What’s funny is now with sbmm you don’t have to worry about competing at the top because your mmr on your other killers won’t get as high as spirit nurse blight.

  • Bad balancing. That's pretty much it, it took Trapper 3+ years to be able to carry 2 traps by default and have 6 always spawn.

    Meanwhile Nurse LITERALLY ignores every loop. It makes no sense, I sincerely hope with this update and part 2 being teased that more frequent changes to Killers and Survivor/Killer perks will finally be a thing.

    25+ and only 1-2 receiving updates per PTB is just not good at all. It simply is not enough. I like the direction we are headed but it's up in the air entirely if this will happen more, so PLEASE praise the Devs for this update if part 2 is just as good as they say.

  • @BadMrFrosty said:

    Variety. That's it.

    I said the same thing when,i saw this

  • Because the meta works this way? Even in card games there're like 6 competitive archetype, even in hero shooter there're just an handfull of meta characters, that's how the meta works.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

    Very true. I main Plague and Billy, and of course I'm probably not gonna win if I have a hyper comp swf team bully fail in my lobby, but that's like... 1 in every 50 games if even that. The majority of games, even if people are swfing is just people playing casually and having fun. I've never lost a game due to the killer I chose that I probably wouldn't have lost normally.

  • Because...

    1. Killer variety.
    2. Not everyone plays solely to win.
    3. Not everyone finds the same three killers fun.
  • The killer roster reminds me of the days when I played the MMO, Final Fantasy 11. You had like 25 classes but when it came to end game, it boiled down to like 6. You had a ton of classes that "could" do something but they couldn't hold a candle to the one class that was "made" to do that. In Final Fantasy 14, their 2nd MMO, ALL classes are viable at end game. Some are clearly better than others but they can all get the job done. Sadly DBD can't do that with their killers.

  • @th3 said:

    What’s funny is now with sbmm you don’t have to worry about competing at the top because your mmr on your other killers won’t get as high as spirit nurse blight.

    This is false. If your highest killer is mmr capped your weakest killer will still start matches around that range.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    Bad balancing. That's pretty much it, it took Trapper 3+ years to be able to carry 2 traps by default and have 6 always spawn.

    Meanwhile Nurse LITERALLY ignores every loop. It makes no sense, I sincerely hope with this update and part 2 being teased that more frequent changes to Killers and Survivor/Killer perks will finally be a thing.

    25+ and only 1-2 receiving updates per PTB is just not good at all. It simply is not enough. I like the direction we are headed but it's up in the air entirely if this will happen more, so PLEASE praise the Devs for this update if part 2 is just as good as they say.

    If they want this game to balanced in any kind of meaningful way they're gonna need to expand that "little indy studio" into a full on "BIG STUDIO". Riot Games had to do the same thing. GGG had to do the same thing to meet the demand of their product and do things on time, bigger, and better, AND produce more content that can be bought in turn. But theres a problem....

    They have 600 employees. Of that 600 employees they need to balance 26 total systems of gameplay, that is 25 killers and 1 being survivors. Of which every single one of those 25 has a different playstyle and needs to function in order to operate against survivors, as well as juxtapose their position against other killers.

    WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL BECAUSE FF14 AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT HAS AT LEAST HALF AS MANY PEOPLE WORKING ON IT AT ANY GIVEN TIME! With a grand total of 264 people who worked on patch 3.56.

    So someone please explain to me, how a japanese company with 1/3 the total staff can pump out some of the largest content updates known to man, and when we ask for an add on revision we get told it will take MULTIPLE YEARS??!?! What makes game development here so slow compared to one of the largest mmos of all time? Whats the hang up? What part of the chain from concept to completion is slowing this games progress down so much?

  • this posts title brought me back to 2018

  • @MyNamePete said:

    this posts title brought me back to 2018

    We never left. Just look for yourself, the game is mostly the same.

  • I see an error with your title statement. Given recent announcements should read only 2 not three.

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2521440#Comment_2521440

    If they want this game to balanced in any kind of meaningful way they're gonna need to expand that "little indy studio" into a full on "BIG STUDIO". Riot Games had to do the same thing. GGG had to do the same thing to meet the demand of their product and do things on time, bigger, and better, AND produce more content that can be bought in turn. But theres a problem....

    They have 600 employees. Of that 600 employees they need to balance 26 total systems of gameplay, that is 25 killers and 1 being survivors. Of which every single one of those 25 has a different playstyle and needs to function in order to operate against survivors, as well as juxtapose their position against other killers.

    WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL BECAUSE FF14 AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT HAS AT LEAST HALF AS MANY PEOPLE WORKING ON IT AT ANY GIVEN TIME! With a grand total of 264 people who worked on patch 3.56.

    So someone please explain to me, how a japanese company with 1/3 the total staff can pump out some of the largest content updates known to man, and when we ask for an add on revision we get told it will take MULTIPLE YEARS??!?! What makes game development here so slow compared to one of the largest mmos of all time? Whats the hang up? What part of the chain from concept to completion is slowing this games progress down so much?

    What you are missing is that bhvr has other things they do outside of dbd. Not all of those employees are working on dbd.

  • @crixus006 said:

    I can't play with different killers if they can't compete in high ranks, these killers just depend on the survivor team to be bad to be able to do something if they are good in 4 minutes This ends.

    I also play as a survivor and it's the same really the high must mmr things where you must work. But with buffs like that of the tramper, this is not good

    2 after the next patch.

  • @th3 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2521547#Comment_2521547

    What you are missing is that bhvr has other things they do outside of dbd. Not all of those employees are working on dbd.

    Which is right, so lets assume all of their grand total of 850 employees that they can use is correct. DBD being their most successful title. Their Android titles don't require a huge team to work on them. IOS and Android games in general don't require big teams, just from a pure data standpoint you're not working with much. Small files, that function on a phone, its like making a game from 2007. Lets say only 1/3 of that 850 total now or 1/3 of that 2018 total 600....thats still 200-300 people working on DBD alone.....which is still close to the amount of people working on FF14 at any given time. Which raises the question still....why are things so slow with 200 ish people when the same amount of people working in a japanese studio for FF14 can push out more content than the 200 at BHVR in the same amount of time?

    What hex totem is BHVR using that slows down their performance?

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

    Same, now with SBMM i'm not touching her with a stick. It's ironic that i was getting better results with a bottom tier killer without SBMM than with it.

  • @th3 said:

    What’s funny is now with sbmm you don’t have to worry about competing at the top because your mmr on your other killers won’t get as high as spirit nurse blight.

    Yes, but it is nice to have a *chance* to win as any killer on any match, because that's how it is supposed to work. What's the fun in learning a new killer if you will eventually hit a wall because the only viable killers are Nurse and Blight?

  • Former red rank for 4+ years and current Iri 1 grade killer.

    I main Doctor, Pig, and Legion. My kill rate after 100+ matches with SBMM on is 2.5/4 average. I mostly get 2/3k's some 4ks, very few 1ks, and have yet to get a 0k since SBMM went Live.

    I played every killer one match recently (9/20 & 9/21 due to Steam going down midway through) and had a blast! I got a 3k on Hawkins with Billy which had me LOL'ing because that has to be one of his worst performing maps (This was the 5th or 6th time I played Billy total). Got a 4k as Hag on Coldwind - came down to the last 30 seconds, but I got it!

    Oh btw - there are 25 killers.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

    It's not just noise. It's super obvious and observable.

  • @crixus006 said:

    I can't play with different killers if they can't compete in high ranks, these killers just depend on the survivor team to be bad to be able to do something if they are good in 4 minutes This ends.

    I also play as a survivor and it's the same really the high must mmr things where you must work. But with buffs like that of the tramper, this is not good

    you are not very familiar with games with large characters rosters are you?

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2521440#Comment_2521440

    If they want this game to balanced in any kind of meaningful way they're gonna need to expand that "little indy studio" into a full on "BIG STUDIO". Riot Games had to do the same thing. GGG had to do the same thing to meet the demand of their product and do things on time, bigger, and better, AND produce more content that can be bought in turn. But theres a problem....

    They have 600 employees. Of that 600 employees they need to balance 26 total systems of gameplay, that is 25 killers and 1 being survivors. Of which every single one of those 25 has a different playstyle and needs to function in order to operate against survivors, as well as juxtapose their position against other killers.

    WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL BECAUSE FF14 AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT HAS AT LEAST HALF AS MANY PEOPLE WORKING ON IT AT ANY GIVEN TIME! With a grand total of 264 people who worked on patch 3.56.

    So someone please explain to me, how a japanese company with 1/3 the total staff can pump out some of the largest content updates known to man, and when we ask for an add on revision we get told it will take MULTIPLE YEARS??!?! What makes game development here so slow compared to one of the largest mmos of all time? Whats the hang up? What part of the chain from concept to completion is slowing this games progress down so much?

    Japaneses doesnt sleep.

  • I hear some people play games for fun. Pretty weird if you ask me.

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2521415#Comment_2521415

    This is false. If your highest killer is mmr capped your weakest killer will still start matches around that range.

    Edit: replied to wrong thread

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

    And I had a 75 4k streak with Legion at Rank 1 back in late 2019.

    Just because you sit at Rank 1 doesn't mean the quality of your opponents is high.

  • @SpiritandYuibestgirl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/282679/what-is-the-purpose-of-having-21-killers-if-you-can-only-compete-with-3

    If you think that only 3 killers are viable that says a lot more about you than it does about the game. Yes, it can get to that point, but that's more rare than a hacker, especially now. If you can't somewhat consistently win with nonmeta killers it's because you need to get better. I'm at top MMR, since I main good killers(for the fun factor, not the power one), and when I switched to Pig, who I should still be high MMR with, I could get a 2k against a 4 man good SWF.

    The killers who complain about MMR are only complaining because they're just now realizing that they aren't good. They only won because matchmaking was broken and matched you up with people far below you. When you get actual fair games you have no chance because the old system carried you.

    "When you get fair games, you have no chance."

    So they aren't fair then.


    Also, most everyone knows that after a certain point, most of the cast really isn't viable. Like, I tried to play Legion the other day and holy ######### that was a mistake. One fast chase and 3 gens popped.

  • @SpiritandYuibestgirl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2522063#Comment_2522063

    I never have that experience. Even at like super high MMR, rank 1 before MMR, I never felt like a killer wasn't viable, barring Trickster. Yes, you can't afford to make too many mistakes, but again that comes down to practice.

    And you're right about killers not being viable at a certain levels of gameplay, but even among the highest MMR or rank players it's not that common to get teams that make killers not viable. The people I see and hear complain about it are never at that level either, which just reinforces my point.

    99% of the time it comes down to skill and practice. I wouldn't go as far to call any killer but the top 5 good, but I think all are viable most of the time.

    Technically, yes they are fair. They get matched with people at their skill level, and get destroyed because they're so used to stomping noobs.

    Rank has nothing to do with MMR.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I've played Pig and Plague consistently at high ranks for years. The parroted 'only 3 killers are viable' noise is just that.

    Agreed, even at high ranks, Plague is doing fine for me, with the rare occasion maybe once or twice out of dozens of games within a 2 day period.

  • @SpiritandYuibestgirl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2522112#Comment_2522112

    I know. I'm just talking about before and after MMR, not just before.

    I went on a 75 4K streak with Legion at Rank 1. Being Rank 1 meant pretty much nothing.