Can we PLEASE have some more female killers? [RANT]

Right now, there are 27 Survivors and 25 Killers.

Out of the Survivors, 13 are male, and 14 are female. Fair enough.

When it comes to the Killers, 16 are male, and only 6 are female. (I'm not counting Demogorgon since it has no gender, neither Legion nor Twins since they are multiple people with a 1:1 gender ratio.)

The last three Killers have been male. Then we got The Twins, technically a duo of both. Before that, we got 5 male Killers (+ the Demogorgon) in a row.

There are nearly 3 times as many male Killers as there are female ones. I'm not saying it needs to be completely even absolutely all the time, but 16:6 is a HUGE difference. Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

Seriously. If the next chapter turns out to be another male Killer + female Survivor duo, I'm gonna be both disappointed and unsurprised.


EDIT:

This thread turned into a mess really quickly. I clearly underestimated the amount of misogynistic gamer boys on these forums. Having to defend myself against a small army of narrow-minded males is getting really exhausting, so I'm just not going to. I will no longer be reading or responding to any comments on this post.

Thank you for understanding <3

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Mogul said:

    I know you guys don't want to hear this, but dbd knows their audience, maybe not their balance, but for sure their audience. Also twins are a female character and trickster may as well be one.

    They may know their audience, but they don't seem to care about them all that much. Also, in what world is the Trickster female????

  • @BastardKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/282324/can-we-please-have-some-more-female-killers-rant

    Part of the problem is there aren't as many licensed female killers. Also, where is the Hispanic killer?

    There are a lot of female Killers they could license, they just don't, for some reason. Also, true! A Hispanic Killer would be awesome.

  • Most killers in the real world are men, why should this game be different?

  • @DBD78 said:

    Most killers in the real world are men, why should this game be different?

    Ah, yes, because we all play this game for the realism, evident by the fact that real-life Killers teleport, survive literally any damage done to them (including having their limbs severed), and call upon eldritch gods to do their bidding.

  • @DBD78 said:

    Most killers in the real world are men, why should this game be different?

    You could ask the opposite: why should the game be realistic? IMO, the game doesn't need to be realistic.

  • I actually feel they are dropping the ball when it comes to original killers, females in general could make far more interesting killers as it goes against the grain.

    Male killer with a gun...in tons of games + movies

    Male killer throwing knives...in tons of games + movies

    Male killer setting traps...in tons of games + movies

    So many concepts that could be used- vampires, werewolves, spiders, snakes!

    They could use poisons, nails, fire, tar, hell, even screams, typical horror things that you could mix with a female role and would be far more interesting than a male counterpart.

    I mean, I personally think design wise and lore wise, The Plague is the most interesting killer in the game, followed by Huntress, plus they are fun to play :D

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2519186#Comment_2519186

    You could ask the opposite: why should the game be realistic? IMO, the game doesn't need to be realistic.

    I does not need to but many things are realistic. Like the survivors looks like humans, why do they need to? Why do some need to have gay characters in the game when there could be 100 people in a store without a single gay person? It is what it is the game is realistic when it wants to be so I'm just saying there is no reason the game need more female killers. No reason at all. It's just an opinion.

  • game won't be good until we have true equality.

  • There are 14 distinctly male killers, actually. 3 killers are non-gendered creations (Demogorgon, Pyramid Head, and Nemesis). Of those 14, 5 of them are licensed. I'm not even sure if I want to refer to that walking abomination named Victor as a human male, so I'm counting in Charlotte and saying there are 7 female killers, one being licensed.

    A large chunk of the male killers are licensed, and as with most popular horror licenses, the bad guy is male.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2517946#Comment_2517946

    You were likely "censored" because you were making inappropriate sexualising comments about women lmao

    When the guy named "Step on me Adiris" has to set the record straight, you know that he went way overboard. Like, I ain't even know what he said, but surely it was extreme. Lol.


    Anyways, more attractive female killers, pls.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2517950#Comment_2517950

    When the guy named "Step on me Adiris" has to set the record straight, you know that he went way overboard. Like, I ain't even know what he said, but surely it was extreme. Lol.

    Anyways, more attractive female killers, pls.

    Why do the female Killers have to be attractive? That's not a requirement for any of the male Killers. I want more female Killers who are "ugly" by traditional beauty standards. I want them to be obese, deformed, exaggeratedly muscular, gross, rotten, intimidating, et cetera.

    I'm also very much not a "guy", just a lesbian whose fave character is the tall priestess lady.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2517950#Comment_2517950

    When the guy named "Step on me Adiris" has to set the record straight, you know that he went way overboard. Like, I ain't even know what he said, but surely it was extreme. Lol.

    Anyways, more attractive female killers, pls.

    I'm sorry is Rin not attractive enough for you

  • Bubba has a dress. That counts.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    Right now, there are 27 Survivors and 25 Killers.

    Out of the Survivors, 13 are male, and 14 are female. Fair enough.

    When it comes to the Killers, 16 are male, and only 6 are female. (I'm not counting Demogorgon since it has no gender, neither Legion nor Twins since they are multiple people with a 1:1 gender ratio.)

    The last three Killers have been male. Then we got The Twins, technically a duo of both. Before that, we got 5 male Killers (+ the Demogorgon) in a row.

    There are nearly 3 times as many male Killers as there are female ones. I'm not saying it needs to be completely even absolutely all the time, but 16:6 is a HUGE difference. Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

    Seriously. If the next chapter turns out to be another male Killer + female Survivor duo, I'm gonna be both disappointed and unsurprised.

    Why do you care so much about the killer's gender?

  • Because I am female and I prefer to play as female Killers.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2520224#Comment_2520224

    Because I am female and I prefer to play as female Killers.

    And there are female killers and the devs never said they were going to stop making new female killers. So, what's the point of this thread?

  • Not you trying to be a victim in a game lmao

  • I think we need more beast like killers. Like Demogorgon.

  • @Khar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2520378#Comment_2520378

    And there are female killers and the devs never said they were going to stop making new female killers. So, what's the point of this thread?

    Because, as I stated, there's a huge gap in the amount of female vs male Killers. People in this forum complain about far less important things.

  • @Plunk said:

    Not you trying to be a victim in a game lmao

    Wh... which part of my post mentions being a "victim" of anything?

  • @Advorsus said:

    I think we need more beast like killers. Like Demogorgon. He's the only one. More beastiality, less females!

    1. That is a strawman argument;
    2. Please don't refer to women as "females", it's dehumanising;
    3. I'm... not sure if you're using the word "beastiality" correctly. At least I hope you aren't.
  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2518032#Comment_2518032

    There are multiple female characters they could have licensed. Of course some of the game developers don't have much of an influence, just doing their job of programming and designing, but someone has to be deciding who they'll license. BHVR could have had more licensed female Killers, but they've chosen not to.

    And 9:5 is still an unnecessarily large difference, especially considering they have full control of what their original characters should be.

    There really arent that many old school female killers. Let alone that they also tend to base their killers around some real life killers/killer types that have historically been mostly male.

    The only possible licensed female killers that come to mind is Pamela Voorhees(who, isnt in the game for the same reason Jason isnt), Samara and The Grudge. But there are many other licensed male killers that havent even been licensed yet, who already outnumber the female licenses, Pennywise, Candyman, Chucky, Art the Clown, Jason Voorhees, Babadook, Slenderman, The Thing.(not counting Predator, FNaF and The Strangers because they have both male and female characters)

    Based on that alone, there will always be a huge differential between male and female killers. So then we have a few female-only type killers that still could be added: Bloody Mary, Siren, Banshee, Mermaid, Amazon, Succubus, Medusa, Harpies, Mantis(yes, the insect) and Black Widow(based on the spider, ofc) Not even including the fact that some of these might just be skins(or have already been made a skin). But against that, you have Frankenstein, Dracula, Werewolves(who could be female, but historically have been portrayed male), Bigfoot, Cyclops, Scarecrow, Zombies(not sure if they are going to be added after Nemesis tho) and Mummies.

    Adding all those to the list, you would still have a differential of 32 male and 19 female characters. Which, all things considered, isnt actually that big of a gap. Let alone that there would also be a number of killers that will get both, and killers that get none. But it's really hard to create a list of equal male and female killers that are based on existing types of killers(Blight is arguably their only true original killer, and even he is loosely based on Jekyll and Hyde)

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2520382#Comment_2520382

    Because, as I stated, there's a huge gap in the amount of female vs male Killers. People in this forum complain about far less important things.

    So what if there's a huge gap? There are still female killers, most of which are most powerful killers (Nurse, Spirit, Hag, Twins, Huntress). If you just want a 50/50 split of male and female killers then I doubt you really care about the game itself. If gender matters that much that you can't enjoy the game, this game may just not be for you.

  • @Bearded_Owl said:

    I actually feel they are dropping the ball when it comes to original killers, females in general could make far more interesting killers as it goes against the grain.

    Male killer with a gun...in tons of games + movies

    Male killer throwing knives...in tons of games + movies

    Male killer setting traps...in tons of games + movies

    So many concepts that could be used- vampires, werewolves, spiders, snakes!

    They could use poisons, nails, fire, tar, hell, even screams, typical horror things that you could mix with a female role and would be far more interesting than a male counterpart.

    I mean, I personally think design wise and lore wise, The Plague is the most interesting killer in the game, followed by Huntress, plus they are fun to play :D

    Just came back from a quick google search and I’ll say this loudly “MYTHOLOGY HAS NO BOUNDS IN TERMS OF LICENSING MEDUSA AND ARACHNE ARE VIABLE AND WOULD IN FACT WORK IN REGARDS OF LORE IS YOU THINK ABOUT IT.”


    Thank you for coming to my TedTalk.

  • @Khar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2520438#Comment_2520438

    So what if there's a huge gap? There are still female killers, most of which are most powerful killers (Nurse, Spirit, Hag, Twins, Huntress). If you just want a 50/50 split of male and female killers then I doubt you really care about the game itself. If gender matters that much that you can't enjoy the game, this game may just not be for you.

    Have I ever said that I don't enjoy the game? Or that I need an exact 50/50 split? I, as well as multiple other women I know, wish for more female Killers, as there are significantly fewer of them than there are male Killers. That's all. I don't see why so many people are having an issue with this. I guess maybe cishet men don't understand what it's like to be underrepresented in media?

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    Right now, there are 27 Survivors and 25 Killers.

    Out of the Survivors, 13 are male, and 14 are female. Fair enough.

    When it comes to the Killers, 16 are male, and only 6 are female. (I'm not counting Demogorgon since it has no gender, neither Legion nor Twins since they are multiple people with a 1:1 gender ratio.)

    The last three Killers have been male. Then we got The Twins, technically a duo of both. Before that, we got 5 male Killers (+ the Demogorgon) in a row.

    There are nearly 3 times as many male Killers as there are female ones. I'm not saying it needs to be completely even absolutely all the time, but 16:6 is a HUGE difference. Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

    Seriously. If the next chapter turns out to be another male Killer + female Survivor duo, I'm gonna be both disappointed and unsurprised.

    dude...hum like you're not gonna do that here ? omg not enough female omg

    please no, thats cringe af

  • @SAégis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/282324/can-we-please-have-some-more-female-killers-rant

    dude...hum like you're not gonna do that here ? omg not enough female omg

    please no, thats cringe af

    Okay? I... really don't care whether random gamer boys on the internet think I'm "cringe" or not.

  • I remember there was plans for a killer named "The Teacher" who was later cut, or it was a red herring designed to distract/confuse dataminers.


    They'd probably be female, and it's a bit baffling they never revisited it. We have an insane doctor, an evil gunslinger, an Oni, an infected women who spreads disease, etc. Why don't we have an evil teacher to complete the set of "Stock horror villains"?

  • The politics in the OP are funny. If the game is making you this upset over real-world problems, you're too invested.

    Most licenses they obtain are going to have male killers. It's just how the genre works. They were able to get Amanda instead of the other SAW killers which is good, but they're pretty limited when it comes to Halloween, ANOES, TCM, Silent Hill, etc. Also bear in mind that every licensed killer/survivor combo has had at least one male and one female character to offset this (EDIT: I forgot Elm Street).

    Excluding that and looking at their original content where they have full creative control, we have 9 male killers, 5 female killers, and 2 equally male/female killers. It's not straight across the board, but at such low numbers, the disparity really isn't all that bad. It's good to suggest more, but it isn't as dire as you make it seem.

    There's a similar difference among survivors, with 7 male survivors and 10 female survivors.

    So really we have 4 more male killers than female, and 3 more female survivors than male (in terms of what they can actively change). If the next survivor is an original female character, then we're looking at an equal 4 for 4. Again, not a big deal, but something worth suggesting more balance with.

  • @Apollos said:

    The politics in the OP are funny. If the game is making you this upset over real-world problems, you're too invested.

    Most licenses they obtain are going to have male killers. It's just how the genre works. They were able to get Amanda instead of the other SAW killers which is good, but they're pretty limited when it comes to Halloween, ANOES, TCM, Silent Hill, etc. Also bear in mind that every licensed killer/survivor combo has had at least one male and one female character to offset this.

    Excluding that and looking at their original content where they have full creative control, we have 9 male killers, 5 female killers, and 2 equally male/female killers. It's not straight across the board, but at such low numbers, the disparity really isn't all that bad. It's good to suggest more, but it isn't as dire as you make it seem.

    There's a similar difference among survivors, with 7 male survivors and 10 female survivors.

    So really we have 4 more male killers than female, and 3 more female survivors than male (in terms of what they can actively change). If the next survivor is an original female character, then we're looking at an equal 4 for 4. Again, not a big deal, but something worth suggesting more balance with.

    Where in my post do I mention "politics"?

  • Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

  • bro, I understand that you're horny, but that's not the devs problem

  • @Apollos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2525803#Comment_2525803

    Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

    What's political about that? Those are literally just facts and statistics.

  • @Dangle03 said:

    bro, I understand that you're horny, but that's not the devs problem

    ...girl, what? Literally what part of my post mentions this.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2525811#Comment_2525811

    What's political about that? Those are literally just facts and statistics.

    What facts and statistics? There's no data there lol

    It's gender politics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're criticizing society's beauty standards of women and then mentioning real-world brutality of men against women. All in relation to gender diversity in a game.

    Trust me, I get being a female-centric lesbian woman as a male-centric gay man myself. But there's a time and a place.

  • My name is a joke/reference to a situation back when my friends taught me DBD in custom games. It's also irrelevant to the content of my actual post.

  • @Apollos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2525879#Comment_2525879

    What facts and statistics? There's no data there lol

    It's gender politics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're criticizing society's beauty standards of women and then mentioning real-world brutality of men against women. All in relation to gender diversity in a game.

    Trust me, I get being a female-centric lesbian woman as a male-centric gay man myself. But there's a time and a place.

    I meant that if I go to literally any news site right now, I'm at least 95% sure I'll be able to find an article about a woman killed by a man within the span of 5 minutes.

    And as a wise moderator once said, and everyone proceeded to ignore; "no one's identity is political, and there is nothing political about asking for representation."

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2525903#Comment_2525903

    I meant that if I go to literally any news site right now, I'm at least 95% sure I'll be able to find an article about a woman killed by a man within the span of 5 minutes.

    And as a wise moderator once said, and everyone proceeded to ignore; "no one's identity is political, and there is nothing political about asking for representation."

    That's still not a fact or a statistic. Using a societal issue like that within an unrelated argument is what makes it political.

    I'm sure a lot of people agreed with that moderator, but they're allowed to be wrong. Fighting for representation is a big part of identity politics.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2525084#Comment_2525084

    Have I ever said that I don't enjoy the game? Or that I need an exact 50/50 split? I, as well as multiple other women I know, wish for more female Killers, as there are significantly fewer of them than there are male Killers. That's all. I don't see why so many people are having an issue with this. I guess maybe cishet men don't understand what it's like to be underrepresented in media?

    If you enjoy the game then what's the problem? If you're not asking for an exact 50/50 split, then again, what's the problem? The list of killers isn't going to get shorter, only longer, and you don't know what gender the future killers will be. You're just needlessly whining.


    Also, cishet men? You're berating sexuality now, as well as gender? You're either a troll or an actual sexist. Either one wouldn't surprise me.

  • @steponmeadiris said:

    Right now, there are 27 Survivors and 25 Killers.

    Out of the Survivors, 13 are male, and 14 are female. Fair enough.

    When it comes to the Killers, 16 are male, and only 6 are female. (I'm not counting Demogorgon since it has no gender, neither Legion nor Twins since they are multiple people with a 1:1 gender ratio.)

    The last three Killers have been male. Then we got The Twins, technically a duo of both. Before that, we got 5 male Killers (+ the Demogorgon) in a row.

    There are nearly 3 times as many male Killers as there are female ones. I'm not saying it needs to be completely even absolutely all the time, but 16:6 is a HUGE difference. Is it really that difficult for a professional game dev team to design a female character without making her a pretty little murder victim? Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news.

    Seriously. If the next chapter turns out to be another male Killer + female Survivor duo, I'm gonna be both disappointed and unsurprised.

    What, I'm not for it, but the inclusivity of lesser known races in media make sense but what, people don't know about females? No one said that females aren't "strong" enough to kill someone lol

  • Can we get an admin or a mod in here to handle the utter stink from all of these basement dwelling neckbeards coming in here to WELL AKTUALLY and shout a woman into submission and silence for expressing the desire to have more female characters in the game?

    Cause your forum is starting to stink like an 8chan board and you really dont want that for your game.

  • I'm genuinely surprised mods are completely fine with statements such as: "Are all the Killers gonna keep being some tall (usually) white guy with a mediocre power and a boring backstory? If I wanted to watch women get brutally killed by men, I'd just turn on the news."

    I'm really not sure if criminal statistics combined with race and gender are something you ought to be getting into, less so if you're expecting an outcome that won't result in an outrage. But okay.

    Anyway, OP has a point, same with the lack of older women playable as Survivors someone else has pointed out. Still, you cannot expect a civil thread when you open up in such a tone, no matter how righteous you may feel.

1 2 ›