Will the devs ever make getting camped & tunneled fun?

Camping & tunneling is apart of the game I understand that, but does it have to be a chore everytime it happens to someone? Right now, at least in my opinion, there's no perk build that would make getting camped &/or tunneled fun unless you can loop the killer till all 5 gens are done. I'll take being able to do anything on hook besides hitting skill checks.

Comments

  • @CornHub said:

    Camping & tunneling is apart of the game I understand that, but does it have to be a chore everytime it happens to someone? Right now, at least in my opinion, there's no perk build that would make getting camped &/or tunneled fun unless you can loop the killer till all 5 gens are done. I'll take being able to do anything on hook besides hitting skill checks.

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

  • @Reinami If you only have fun in chase then you should play killer.

  • @InList said:

    @Reinami If you only have fun in chase then you should play killer.

    I play both, depending on time of day, queue times are shorter for either side at different times of day.

  • Being camped is certainly dull, but there's very little interractivity that could be put in unfortunately. Maybe a chance that if you're being truely face-camped up close and personal you could kick out at the killer, but even then I'd bet more killers would then face-camp just outside the hitbox area to counter it. Also, if survivors are camping nearby too and forcing the killer to stay in the vicinity that can also be frustrating. I think there's very little to be done about that, other than a more empathetic overall change in some player's behaviours. Even then, a few will do that regardless.

    Tunnelling could offer more options to deal with: Perks like Decisive Strike are still just as effective. I wouldn't be against an extended stun in exchange for a once-only or more limited use, but removing it after interracting with a gen, etc., was needed. Maybe a slight sprint burst once rescued, but at the same time if a killer is at a stage where it's near the endgame or it's the only option they shouldn't be punished for that neither.

    At most, maybe the unhooked gets a mini dead hard after being unhooked to give a little more distance at the start, but otherwise I'd say there's not a great deal to be done without buffing it disproportionately. There may be other suggestions which may work, but I can't think of any at this ridiculously early hour.

  • They should play music to the camped person or give them some mini game so they wont get bored

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    They should play music to the camped person or give them some mini game so they wont get bored

    I wouldn't mind that

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    It's fun but without a chance to heal and get to different tiles and maybe earn some other points isn't asking a lot. I hope everyone you tunnel quits

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    Because the game just started and now I'm out. Once you're on the hook it's essentially just gg for you right now, with a full minute of watching your guy just die

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    They mean tunneling off of hook mostly, not "tunnel vision." They said they think it's fun because you're actually getting chased, I think it's fun too. Feels worth it to get tunneled then. Not to get tunneled because you were defenseless off of hook.

  • How do you make losing fun? Actually, let's go deeper. Why should losing be fun in the first place?

  • @InList said:

    @Reinami If you only have fun in chase then you should play killer.

    I'm not going to judge you for having fun in other ways but chase is a basic part of the game that doesn't require SWF or throwing the game. Why would they need to play killer for that?

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    Well what happens in most tunneling scenarios is that the killer just doesn't let you move very far from the hook. If you go down in an area with no resources the killer can guarantee you to stay there forever. You can't just say "why are you mad at being tunneled? Just loop the killer" when there is literally no way to do that.

  • I'm hoping for a perk one day that gives a survivor a 4th hook state if they're camped hard on the hook. With the proper prerequisites and conditions I think that such a powerful effect would be fair.

  • @eleventbh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421586#Comment_2421586

    I'm not going to judge you for having fun in other ways but chase is a basic part of the game that doesn't require SWF or throwing the game. Why would they need to play killer for that?

    Killer can spend 90% of each match in chase. As survivor you'll often get ignored or dropped for a better target.

  • Just use borrowed time and decisive strike... if you're solo, bring Kindred as well. Let the killer camp just go do gens, you won't be able to penalize these killers because all that matters to them is kills, not pipping. This is why the game should reward you more for hooks and not kills but again it won't matter with those kinds of killers what you do, they just want to kill.

    So if you want to avoid those killers, play better but I am not sure how the MMR is going to work so you'll just have to deal with it for now.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    @gendoss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421576#Comment_2421576

    Well what happens in most tunneling scenarios is that the killer just doesn't let you move very far from the hook. If you go down in an area with no resources the killer can guarantee you to stay there forever. You can't just say "why are you mad at being tunneled? Just loop the killer" when there is literally no way to do that.

    Not to mention, when I have a teammate that is being tunnelled I will deliberately run into the killer to get them to chase/hit me instead - and when they choose not to and continue to go for the one they are tunnelling, at that point I know they are scum and I will disconnect in solidarity with the tunnelled one if they d/c.

    It's bizarre to me that people think you only get tunnelled if you are bad at chases - get unhooked in sight of the killer in a dead area and you have very little chance to escape if they are tunnelling.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/272326/will-the-devs-ever-make-getting-camped-tunneled-fun

    I never understood the argument that people don't like getting tunneled. Like, if you aren't being chased by the killer, you get to hold m1 on something. The chase is the fun part of the game. I'm glad if i get tunneled, means i pissed them off enough to chase me out of the game and i get to play the best part of the game.

    Hiding from the killer, finding totems, grouping up & helping others, ect.., are many of the other things that happen when you aren't being chased. After a certain point only being able to do one thing for the whole match gets boring.

  • @CornHub said:

    Camping & tunneling is apart of the game I understand that, but does it have to be a chore everytime it happens to someone? Right now, at least in my opinion, there's no perk build that would make getting camped &/or tunneled fun unless you can loop the killer till all 5 gens are done. I'll take being able to do anything on hook besides hitting skill checks.

    I just don't know why all hooks dont reposition when camped bar the basement, it would give basement more reward and incentive for set up/bait playstyles, UNLESS it's end game collapse. They should just work like pyramids cages, or just send the survivor to another available hook.

  • @NVerde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421576#Comment_2421576

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421842#Comment_2421842

    Not to mention, when I have a teammate that is being tunnelled I will deliberately run into the killer to get them to chase/hit me instead - and when they choose not to and continue to go for the one they are tunnelling, at that point I know they are scum and I will disconnect in solidarity with the tunnelled one if they d/c.

    It's bizarre to me that people think you only get tunnelled if you are bad at chases - get unhooked in sight of the killer in a dead area and you have very little chance to escape if they are tunnelling.

    I would say, when hooked, the survivor randomly goes to a different hook, like Pyramid Head's cages. I would also remove the location notification when someone is unhooked, it would just give a noise notification.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422110#Comment_2422110

    I would say, when hooked, the survivor randomly goes to a different hook, like Pyramid Head's cages. I would also remove the location notification when someone is unhooked, it would just give a noise notification.

    No. There are times when camping is a valid strat. Also, now you just want Survivors to never lose; the Killer does not have the time to re-hunt every Survivor after every hook, since your idea would make them teleport away AND basically hide where they were unhooked.

  • Perk: Get me out of here

    Once per trial when activated the entity will teleport you to the other side of the map within 10 seconds of being unhooked, you become exhausted and can't interact with gens and suffer from the blindness status effect for 60 seconds.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422110#Comment_2422110

    I would say, when hooked, the survivor randomly goes to a different hook, like Pyramid Head's cages. I would also remove the location notification when someone is unhooked, it would just give a noise notification.

    That would guarantee safe unhooks nearly every time & is just a heavy killer nerf overall.

  • @CornHub said:

    Camping & tunneling is apart of the game I understand that, but does it have to be a chore everytime it happens to someone? Right now, at least in my opinion, there's no perk build that would make getting camped &/or tunneled fun unless you can loop the killer till all 5 gens are done. I'll take being able to do anything on hook besides hitting skill checks.

    Will the devs ever make getting pallet camped & looped fun?


  • What if a hooked survivor could flashlight the killer? Only really helps face camping but that could be a cool add.

  • My favorite part of playing killer is the chases if you find looping so unpleasant you have picked a hard role to play.

  • @Razorbeam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422418#Comment_2422418

    My favorite part of playing killer is the chases if you find looping so unpleasant you have picked a hard role to play.

    Spoken like a ture surv main, the loop and cahse is ok but gets boring very qucikly when the survs are basiclyt handed so many tools to be cheap. So this is while killer champ etc.

  • @SRGII said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422431#Comment_2422431

    Spoken like a ture surv main, the loop and cahse is ok but gets boring very qucikly when the survs are basiclyt handed so many tools to be cheap. So this is while killer champ etc.

    Man I would at least check someone's recent post history before I called them a main and made myself look stupid.

  • @Razorbeam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422476#Comment_2422476

    Man I would at least check someone's recent post history before I called them a main and made myself look stupid.

    AMn I would think bnefore tryin to flip something on someone when its claer u know survs have basicly been given to much easy ######### to win.

  • @SRGII said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422490#Comment_2422490

    AMn I would think bnefore tryin to flip something on someone when its claer u know survs have basicly been given to much easy ######### to win.

    I mean I'm trying not to be mean here but most killers aren't crying about loops or chases, I would advise you spend some time learning tiles and how to mind game tiles and then chases become a lot more fun and involving for both parties.

  • @Razorbeam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422494#Comment_2422494

    I mean I'm trying not to be mean here but most killers aren't crying about loops or chases, I would advise you spend some time learning tiles and how to mind game tiles and then chases become a lot more fun and involving for both parties.

    I do that but when u got toxic players who use every cheap thing going its not fun. SO then when u play like a dick. they get all salty and complain as they dont like it when its done back,.


    Like I said dev needs to overhaul the game fast

  • @Power_Guy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422381#Comment_2422381

    No. There are times when camping is a valid strat. Also, now you just want Survivors to never lose; the Killer does not have the time to re-hunt every Survivor after every hook, since your idea would make them teleport away AND basically hide where they were unhooked.

    And here we go. You love camping, so nothing to fix the game will do.ย ๐Ÿ™„

    Here's the thing; if Killers are not stupid, then camping will usually easily get you to Red ranks with no effort. But Killers aren't happy that it ruins the game for 80% of the player base, no; they want the game to literally punish Survivors and hold the Killers hands, so they can play sloppy AND the Killer still gets a 4K!

    Glad you're not on the balance team. I'll say it again; camping is toxic, and a crutch, and your views on it do not suddenly make it none issue. Camping punishes Survivors and simply because you use it and only reply with salty and spiteful posts every time a change is proposed doesn't mean a change will never happen. In fact, most likely a change will happen.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422391#Comment_2422391

    And here we go. You love camping, so nothing to fix the game will do.ย ๐Ÿ™„

    Here's the thing; if Killers are not stupid, then camping will usually easily get you to Red ranks with no effort. But Killers aren't happy that it ruins the game for 80% of the player base, no; they want the game to literally punish Survivors and hold the Killers hands, so they can play sloppy AND the Killer still gets a 4K!

    Glad you're not on the balance team. I'll say it again; camping is toxic, and a crutch, and your views on it do not suddenly make it none issue. Camping punishes Survivors and simply because you use it and only reply with salty and spiteful posts every time a change is proposed doesn't mean a change will never happen. In fact, most likely a change will happen.

    The irony of claiming Killers want their hands held when it's Survivors who feed campers, then whine and snivel for hand holding mechanics to give them free unhooks is lost on you.

    I've said it before; glad you're not on the balance team (grats for stealing that from me, BTW). This game would be unplayable as a Killer if you had any input.


    But keep whining and sniveling that camping is a crutch, and real Killers don't camp, and YOU never camp, and camping somehow magically rewards Killers with 4Ks because <vague reasons>. It just means you'll never improve at the game, because you keep blaming 'crutch mechanics' instead of your own bad skill.

  • Apparently bad killers camp so they can have easy games and rank up to the red ranks where camping is a weak strategy and games are harder - makes sense.

    I play a fair bit of killer (and adjust my playstyle according to the match because, you know, I'm not a bot and have player agency) but as a mostly solo player, I always assume that I'm going to die on 1st hook and try hard from the start of the match.

    If I get hooked and facecamped a bunch, I start bringing Kindred.

    If camping and tunneling were truly as endemic and game breaking as people claim, the game would not be where it is today.

  • @Orion said:

    How do you make losing fun? Actually, let's go deeper. Why should losing be fun in the first place?

    If you can still have fun while losing in a game it generally comes down to gameplay though

    (extremely opinionated example below)

    Take tf2 and overwatch for example (not titan fall 2)

    In overwatch the gameplay leaves something to be desired which means one of the only real ways to have fun is to win, so losing isn't fun

    But in tf2 for example, the gameplay is fun with an emphasis of self and your ability so its a playground for having fun in whatever way you see fit, meaning that winning while still impactful is no longer the central focus for having fun, and losing as a result doesn't feel as bad or can even still be fun

    Dbd can be like this since if you take a really good chase at the end of the game but still lose you might not care about the result as much since you got to enjoy the gameplay more and winning / losing became secondary to the fun you are having


    Its not exactly about losing being fun on its own, its about making the game fun enough that winning and losing become secondary to enjoying the game

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422641#Comment_2422641

    Ah yes. Instead force Meta Perks to solve the problem. Or, well, I guess comms works too. Maybe we need in-game comms for Survivors.

    I've said they should just add voice comms and balance around it.

    Instead, the devs pretend voice comms are not a problem and balance for the information blackout Survivors would have as solo-q's, which is why SWF groups pretty much destroy every Killer except Nurse, who can ignore walls and pallets.

    This game will continue to balance like garbage until the devs admit that voice comms break the entire thing and rebalance with that in mind.

  • How about a post-sacrifice minigame?

    After being sacrificed, you can respawn as an 'echo'.

    As an Echo, you cannot see the Killer or Survivors, and you cannot see any auras, or the Hatch.

    You have to find and interact with Red, Blue and Yellow glyphs. Maybe a fourth one if they add a fourth one in?

    After x amount of Red/Blue/Yellow glyphs, you gain the ability to see:

    1: Survivor Auras

    2: Gen Auras

    3: Hook Auras

    4: Item Auras

    5: Exit Auras

    6: Killer Aura

    7: Hatch Aura

    Only one glyph spawns at a time so it could take you a while to get to 7, especially if you fail the yellow ones. And the Blue ones always give you Oblivious, so you temporarily lose your aura reading capabilities when you get those.

    Each glyph gets you bloodpoint bonuses, which only apply post game, so it doesn't reflect your score.

    Red: Objective

    Blue: Boldness

    Yellow: Altruism

    Fourth?: Survival

    Lets say each one is +25%, so if you get 2 of each that's +50% in each of those categories.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    The act of being camped, probably not. Most they can do is add in some kind of early-camp penalty.

    Things to do on Hook? Maybe a clearer signal a Survivor can perform to indicate being camped.

    After being sacrificed? Eh, maybe something with making the Hatch more obvious for Survivors, some kind of mini-game where you can gain some BP.

    Things to do on hook to make it more clear if the killer is camping...? Like this?

    @Nos37 said:

    There are two gesture buttons that go unused while in the dying state and hooked states.

    While dying or hooked, survivors should be able to:

    • Press Gesture 1 (Point) once to caution other survivors to stay away by showing a symbol โš ๏ธ over their own portrait.
      • Pressing it again changes the symbol to a red x. โŒ
      • Pressing it a third time resets it back to no symbol.
    • Press Gesture 2 (Beckon) once to signal other survivors to come help; again, using a symbol โš•๏ธ.
      • Pressing it again changes the symbol to a green "all clear." โœ”๏ธ
      • Pressing it a third time also resets it back to no symbol.

    Things to do post-sacrifice? This would give SWF something to do, but solos would simply move on for more points instead of sticking around to potentially help out a stranger. The survivor should not be allowed to stay in the match and follow the killer around; that would be unfair to stealthy/setup killers, or any killer using hex perks.

  • HERE IS MY SUGGESTION (to making being camped or tunneled fun):

    [1] remove struggle phase

    [2] make the 1st stage the full 2 minutes instead (also keep it at 3 hooks to die)

    [3] let me play snake while I'm on the hook

    BOOM anti-fun fix