New Killer Designs are making the game less fun

The most fun part of the game is chases, and by making all these new killers be anti-chase and less anti-gen is what is ruining the experience

Comments

  • That's pretty much why so many people enjoy playing against Billy, Oni, and Blight. They're good at chasing, they have fun counterplay, and they have great 1v4. And yeah I agree, I'm tired of killers that are focused on powerful chase instead of 1v4.

  • Honestly, DBD hasn't been fun for me in a little while. The poor killer design that we've recently seen has merely added salt to the wound.

  • OP, I have an honest question. Several, actually.

    1. Have you ever been upset about Q times.
    2. Have you ever been upset about repetitive gameplay between various killers (perks, behavior etc)
  • The last 3 killers have been awful and the list of anti loop killers just keep rising even though there are so many examples of why people hate those killers.

  • Nobody uses real counterplay anymore anyway. They just throw pallets early and hold W for distance, then repeat. Sadly, I think the days of mindgaming and true counterplaying are gone.

  • Can you blame them?

    Most of the Killers that focus on the 1v4 are either never played or complained about heavily.

    Plague, Hag, Demo, and Trapper are all very rare sights to see in the fog. Pig is also not particularly common. Wraith is more common now but people are starting to complain about him. Legion is somewhat popular but Survivors complain because they're mending simulator. Forever Freddy was very 1v4 focused but it got complained about so much that it has been removed from the game. Similar story to Old Freddy from what I know of him.

    Simply put, BHvr aren't making more 1v4 killers because they aren't popular. Why? Well, Killer Players want to feel powerful. 1v4 focused Killers that have trouble confirming downs frequently don't feel super powerful, so they don't get played much.

    Fun fact, Billy, Oni, and Blight are not 1v4 focused. Not a single one of them have a mechanic in their kit that can distract or delay Survivors from gens outside of they're physical presence. What they have is between decent and good 1v1 potential then the mobility to quickly get to another chase. That gives them a better 1v4 than somebody like Clown who hasn't got mobility, but their 1v4 is lacking compared to the actual 1v4 killers who almost never get played.

  • Anti-loop? Honestly cant say that about any killer but nurse, iv still been looping all the other killers round all loops and tiles no matter what?

    Or... do you class anti-loop as killers that have a form of range/lunge and not the very basic M1

    Also people complain gens take too long now, or killers are oppressive if they can actually pressure gens via speed or teleporting

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2393701#Comment_2393701

    Not OP but:

    1. Q times for survivors in EU are instant, I watched Korean streamer one day, same where. Probably only NA have longer Q times for survivors. This "killers are leaving the game" narrative doesn't really work at least here in EU. In the day time killer Q times are WAYYYY longer than survivor Q times. So I can cry about survivor buffs because everyone is playing the killer.

    2. Yes, bhvr made stronger demogorgan in pyramid head and nemesis, made worse huntress 2 times in slinger and trickster, made Billy 2 times in oni and blight. Twins was somewhat original but all it did is created a camping and slugging machine, two things people hate the most about dbd. For perks, it sometimes makes me puke playing againts same 6 perks. Meta is where for a reason, but damn do people hate fun so much and only want to tryhard every game? Survivors have some variety, locker builds, sabo builds, healing builds etc, killers have one build - stop gens. Yeah, iron will and dead heart are meta, but at least I see variety in builds. Killers uses same two perks - pop and ruin. Most hilarious is ruin, undying, pop and tinkerer. I just laugh when I see blight running it, like who hurt you man? You have like 90 perks, have some originality. Dark devotion on killer is by far my favorite perk, spooking survivors on non stealth killers is so damn hilarious.

    I've been asking for a simple reason:


    The variety in killer abilities and how to face them most efficiently is what keeps a decent player base. Would the devs go and cater SOLEY to those that say only chases are fun, and that ALL killers ought to be counterable with looping and juking etc, you'd lose about half the playerbase. Which would lead to 20 min and longer Qs.

    Killers like Ghostface, Deathslinger or spirit are made for people who take no fun in chases and looping, but who delight in outwitting killers in other ways.

    if you wanna tell them they ought to leave the game, you'll lose more than you think you'll lose.

  • @GeneralV said:

    Honestly, DBD hasn't been fun for me in a little while. The poor killer design that we've recently seen has merely added salt to the wound.

    I just came back for a months long break from this game and I'm TRYING so hard to have the slightest bit of fun here. I play as a solo survivor and it's just awful. But hey, at least they took the time to change character appearances that no one was asking for.

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2393689#Comment_2393689

    I just came back for a months long break from this game and I'm TRYING so hard to have the slightest bit of fun here. I play as a solo survivor and it's just awful. But hey, at least they took the time to change character appearances that no one was asking for.

    I know how you feel. Everything is just bad for me: reworked maps, reworked models, even some of the new chapters. I don't like them, I don't want them.

    Honestly, playing Hag is the only thing that brings me joy in current DBD, even Freddy is getting difficult because of his boring power, but even that won't last forever. I cannot take this anymore.

    I just want to return to the sweet embrace of the past. Back when DBD provided me with a level of enjoyment that no other game could. Back to the good ole' days of 2018 or maybe even further in the past.

    If DBD will never return to be the game I once loved, then why am I still here?

  • @Exxodus21 said:

    Nobody uses real counterplay anymore anyway. They just throw pallets early and hold W for distance, then repeat. Sadly, I think the days of mindgaming and true counterplaying are gone.

    That’s because the old mindgames don’t work anymore. Veteran survivors are used to all the tricks in the killer book when it comes to hiding red stain, etcetera. A lot of time the killer just ends up mind gaming themselves, causing them to lose what would have been an easy hit, or losing track of the survivor completely.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I never thought about it. But now that you've mentioned I think I agree.

    I stopped buying DLCs since long ago. Silent Hill was an exception because I'm a b***** about everything Silent Hill. One of the main reasons, of course, is because I don't like the path BHVR took with this game since 2019 and I don't want to support this company again.

    Secondly, the new DLCs really didn't appeal to me. A cowboy with a gun. A pinball man. Twins, where one of them is good and the other is garbage. A copy of Kakihara from Ichi the Killer. And none of them had maps, but costed the same. Four chapters. Eight characters (counting survivors). Twenty four perks, and only three or four are worth it.

    But I've seen the videos of people playing the new killers. And, to be honest, I think their gameplay is... well, dumb. It's like these devs are running out of ideas but they still insist in releasing new DLCs every three of four months because money. I played some of these killers during their PTBs and didn't like it. I mean, Trapper is fun. Wraith is fun. Billy was fun (but I still like pretending I'm Ayrton Senna with him). Nurse is fun. And so is Huntress, Doctor, Hag, Myers, Freddy, Bubba, Clown, Vommy Mommy. They're fun to play as and against. But these newer ones are just annoying. In my opinion, of course.

    So, yes, I think I agree with you. They are making chasing less fun and being chased also less fun with every new killer.

    The game felt alright in 2019, it was mainly 2020 I felt the game started going downhill.

  • Honestly most of the added killers just aren't fun to play I've really only enjoyed blight and oni since I bought the game 2 years ago

  • I don't even care for the killer "design" tbh IMO what's boring with this game is after 3 years of playing it, the game has not changed much. I wish there was a new game mode or more objectives for survivors because as it is now survivor gameplay is so boring and easy.

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    Anti-loop? Honestly cant say that about any killer but nurse, iv still been looping all the other killers round all loops and tiles no matter what?

    Or... do you class anti-loop as killers that have a form of range/lunge and not the very basic M1

    Also people complain gens take too long now, or killers are oppressive if they can actually pressure gens via speed or teleporting

    The only way to loop Deathslinger is if you get a loop with high walls and you're lucky, that removes like 50% of the loops in the game

  • I've been thinking about this for a while and I completley agree. Every single chapter makes it harder and harder to loop as survivor, which is the only fun part of playing survivor. The past 3 killers in a row have either little counterplay or are just extremely unfun to play against. This game is heading down a really bad path with these new killers.

  • @Jayden_Yoinks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2393850#Comment_2393850

    The only way to loop Deathslinger is if you get a loop with high walls and you're lucky, that removes like 50% of the loops in the game

    I mean it's not 50% some maps are all tall tiles, things like gas heaven sure it's harder but that goes for all killers. But he has limited range, 110% and cannot down you over pallets.

    He can still be looped, if you're saying killers shouldn't be able to use their power at any loop then that's both unfair and stupid. If he cant shoot you hes 110 M1... so you can understand why he has the ability to injure at other loops, being 110 M1 at all loops would make him a bully simulator

  • Yeah, no. Not true. This is just a narrative Scot and OhTofu make without thinking about the bigger picture. The real truth is that, if a killer is designed to do a particular thing well, the killer will be hated. If a killer has a strong 1v1 or a strong 1v4, the killer is hated. Let's think about killers that have a strong 1v4 that have a substantial amount of people that hate them. Old Doctor, Legion, Hag, Forever Freddy (a distinctly 1v4 build that people hate specifically for the 1v4), Blight with slowdowns and info perks (If you saw more Billies running this, they'd get hated as well), Twins. What survivors actually want are the killers that either A. Dip into both categories, but don't excel at them, typically creating a pushover like Pig. B. Killers that don't optimize their perk loadouts to the strengths of that killer.

    Emotions aren't rational, and neither are the standards of "boring killers." "Don't select a 1v1 killer, and only 1v4 killers, and I better not see a 1v4 build on a 1v4 killer!"

  • @Exxodus21 said:

    Nobody uses real counterplay anymore anyway. They just throw pallets early and hold W for distance, then repeat. Sadly, I think the days of mindgaming and true counterplaying are gone.

    The reason for that is cause and effect. The Devs create killers where survivors had to adapt and they came up with this cheap and boring tactic. Now killer mains are complaining that this is unfun...

    What you sow, you will reap.

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2393689#Comment_2393689

    I just came back for a months long break from this game and I'm TRYING so hard to have the slightest bit of fun here. I play as a solo survivor and it's just awful. But hey, at least they took the time to change character appearances that no one was asking for.

    Genuine inquiry:

    Why do you keep playing the game? No seriously. If you're not having any fun, why bother? The best thing you can do to show your disapproval is to just stop and play something more fun.

  • Bhvr's new 2/2 rule.

    Basically what this rule means that it's pretty much an even match for the killer to have two kills and a survivor to have two escapes.

    They designed it this way to try and attempt to balance things out... buuuttttttt that doesn't seem to be the chase when the game is still designed for a 1v4 instead of 1v2

  • I'm just sick of ranged killers in general at this point. It feels like almost every match has you pitted against a killer that can negate pallets or vaults, so you're basically just buying time until they down you or end the chase.

    I have no qualms getting downed or dying, but when they end chases so quickly, it can really allow them to speedrun the match. It's crazy how common it is to get under 10k bp as survivor. The anniversary event and this farming event have helped to balance that out a lot. I'm really not looking forward to going back to normal play without multipliers.

  • @xEa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2393793#Comment_2393793

    The reason for that is cause and effect. The Devs create killers where survivors had to adapt and they came up with this cheap and boring tactic. Now killer mains are complaining that this is unfun...

    What you sow, you will reap.

    Well, no. Let's not pretend that survivors are just angels that are concerned about the killers having a nice experience if they play nice in turn. Select a killer that is based more on 50/50s like Billy or Huntress, and you'll still see it. What probably happened is that survivors typically greed loops to milk as much time as possible from the killer in addition to the free time they get in the loop, but the really sweaty ones would deny the 50/50s by dropping one loop early. Killers then get designed around the gameplay of having a chance against dropped loops, but dominate on loops with the pallet up as a consequence.

  • Yeah well, the last time we put in a decent anti-gen killer, survivors complained and had them nerfed into passive potato status.